The Official Drake ‘VIEWS’ Album Thread

Options

Comments

• nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I typed a post regarding this earlier, but it got deleted. Anyway......Joe is absolutely correct. Drake has been saying the exact same thing in a different format his entire career. He has arguably shown zero growth and some might say that he's even regressed artistically. Now that we've got that out the way let's be honest..............................you could say the exact same thing about the majority of rap artists ..especially the mainstream ones. Honestly...if your name isn't Kanye, Kendrick...OutKast....Nas...and maybe a few more....then I'm not expecting to hear anything outside of what you're generally known for. I know that the majority of these artists are afraid to try anything outside of the box and are content w/ milking what's working for them. Drake is as repetitive as it gets w/ regards to subject matter and delivery......but he's consistent as ? w/ his ability to put out music that stays at the top of the charts and in heavy club rotation. I personally don't care about the charts or the clubs....just stating the facts about what has made him successful for so long. He caters to a demographic that loves him. His music is friendly and safe w/ just enough edge to intrigue the casual suburban rap fan. ? love to hear a mf rap about some emotional, relationship type ? . Hate him or love him, you gotta admit that he has the midas touch w/ this music ? .
    With that said, I think the album is cool. It's pretty much what I expected...not great/class...but not terrible. His albums usually get stale to me after about 2-3 days anyway. This one will be no different.
  • irite
    irite Members Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

Explain the difference between Lauren Hill singing and rapping on her album in comparison to Drake doing the same.

L boogie can actually sing, is a better rapper and most importantly....actually writes lyrics

I dont know why you aubrey fans seem to have this mental mind block regarding the fact that hes a karoake singer with limited range and actual talent and writing will always one up that
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand y'all with drake tho..y'all say he's wack and ? but steady listens to his albums tho..y'all expectations should be low to begin with and y'all gets irritated about the ghostwriting thing..from y'all prospective if he's wack af..y knock him for that? Should blame the ghostwriter or say he needs to get another one or write for himself lol..should be happy he got ghostwriters
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

Explain the difference between Lauren Hill singing and rapping on her album in comparison to Drake doing the same.

Lauryn can actually sing..

Lauryn write her own lyrics..

Lauryn also make better music..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    Drake Replaces 50 Cent On Forbes Top 5 Rich List

Forbes has officially revealed that Drake is now included within its ‘Forbes Five: Hip Hop’s Wealthiest Artists’ list, dethroning 50 Cent for the first time.

The website has reported a net worth of $60m for the ‘Views’ rapper – generated from touring, music and a number of lucrative sponsorship deals with Apple, Nike, Sprite and more.

Drizzy is now number 5 on the list behind Jay Z, Birdman, Dr. Dre and Puff Daddy.

He once famously rapped “25 sitting on $25m" in ‘The Motto’ and also previously claimed that he wanted to make $250m by the time he was 29.

According to Forbes, 50 Cent was knocked off the list due to last year’s bankruptcy filing – with the rapper reportedly losing his $100 million Vitaminwater earnings.

Meanwhile, Puff Daddy is still at the top of the list with an estimated net worth of $750 million.

The music mogul has a number of lucrative investments including Ciroc, Sean John and his own media company Revolt.

Check out the list below:

5. Drake - $60m
    4. Birdman - $110m
    3. Jay Z - $610m
    2. Dr Dre - $710m
    1. Puff Daddy - $750m

Damn ain't no other rapper worth more than $60 mill??? 50??? Em??? Wayne??? Ye??? Nicki??? TI??? Luda??? P??? Soulja Boy??? Nobody??? Rap looking like it's in a drought

Alot of people don't report their net worth to Forbes...even a lot of the people on the list say Forbes is guessing and they never actually told them their net worth
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Weston Road flows and Views are literally the only good tracks to me and both of those are too similar in execution

You the 2nd person to mention similar sounding songs

I like when albums have consistent themes and sounds. I remember listening to Blueprint and initially thinking Never Change, Song Cry, and a few others were similar. The songs always grow into their own.

Also what exactly does similar in execution mean. Lls Is that from Complex? Critiquing music has become so much more about the music itself. That Kanye ?

It means they're basically the same damn song. The 90s r&b intro/sample, the topic and flow...

Not even close.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean, I love to hear the passion that Budden is displaying discussing this topic.

However, I believe that there a few complexities, that have led to the final product that we have received as fans and consumers. I do think that 40 has a clear direction of where he wants to take the music, try to transcend the genre and sound that they have built, really even trying to usher this new sound and I believe Drake is torn between that and the hiphop ? , I think Drake really does love hiphop/rap, hence his last project, he clearly wanted to put out an all rap project, thats why he released it as a mixtape, he just needed to create a project where it was all rap and that was clearly his decision.

I do think that he is torn in terms of the direction of where he wants to take his career and how he wants to position himself. To that international star level or own the genre, and I also agree with Buddens in terms of the politics that could be going on behind the scenes and apple/tidal/jimmy iovine/jay-z, that could be affecting his creativity and he is hinting at a lot of discontent and I agree that he does not sound inspired, it is a good project he put out tho, musically.
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

alright I'll take this on.

Let's start with the quality of singing. Lauryn's a pretty good singer I'd say, from a technical standpoint and the quality of her voice. Drake's singing is average at best, and that's with the assistance of autotune, studio effects, and being best friends with a dope engineer (40).

Then there's the rapping. I'd say Drake and Lauryn have closer skill sets when it comes to rapping than when they're singing, but I still think Lauryn has a slight edge on Drizzy.

a big part of the difference imo is the amount of albums. Lauryn has only dropped 1 album, Drake has 4 "official" albums plus 2 mixtapes that are essentially albums. then you can decide whether or not you wanna include WATTBA w/ Future. Drake's sound and topics haven't changed much throughout his albums.

Finally there's the big point of Miseducation being a classic and Drake having no albums that are widely considered classics outside of his fan/stan base. If Thank Me Later would've came out and been as highly regarded as Miseducation was things might be different.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

Lauryn's music also make better music..

That ain´t the point of what the poster you´re quoting was saying. He´s talking in terms of artistic direction/decision, that the formula is practically the same as Lauren´s, doesn´t matter if he doesn´t write his own ? or sing as good, the intention is the same and thats the point he´s making.
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

See ? like this is what confuse me man..why is drake compared to such great artist if he's wack???
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is all coming from a big Drake fan as well. I remember getting put on to him by the IC between Comeback Season and So Far Gone. But the sad fact is Drake's topics haven't changed throughout all his music. Maybe he's just backed himself into a corner that way because of how open he's been in his music from the start. Songs about stuntin, takin care of your mother, feelings for exes, etc. from CS/SFG until now, and there's not really anywhere else for him to go.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

That ain´t the point of what the poster you´re quoting was saying. He´s talking in terms of artistic direction/decision, that the formula is practically the same as Lauren´s, doesn´t matter if he doesn´t write his own ? , the intention is the same and thats the point he´s making.

He asked what's the difference and I explained,
    All that other ? is for the birds..

Honestly,
    It doesn't matter what I say,
    he's already got his mind made up..

SMH..
    ? compare and can't tell the difference between Lauryn Hill and Drakes shallow ass music..

That ? make songs about ? that work at Target.. Lol..
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Ay quick question did Drake sell a milli cuz last I checked it said he projected to sell a milli first week not that he did so why I see ? in here sayin he already did

He's projected to move over a million units in the first week. In his first day he sold 600k.

What day is it now
  • S2J
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »
    This is all coming from a big Drake fan as well. I remember getting put on to him by the IC between Comeback Season and So Far Gone. But the sad fact is Drake's topics haven't changed throughout all his music. Maybe he's just backed himself into a corner that way because of how open he's been in his music from the start. Songs about stuntin, takin care of your mother, feelings for exes, etc. from CS/SFG until now, and there's not really anywhere else for him to go.

Neither has Budden's :joy: :joy:

Its a dumb criteria . Budden hasnt stopped talking about toxic relationships for 5+ years now and it dont stop me from listening to him

On the flip, Jay z sure did grow a lot from Blueprint to Kingdom Come. And his new growth birthed a ? ass album

Drake is who he is. Budden is who he is. Styles P is who he is. If ive already accepted them for who they are they dont have to change ? , just pick some good beats and spit that ? on whatever topic is your lane.

Yea wtf is growth as artist? Cliche. Lls Kanye grown than a mfer over the years and here he is droppin bird ? for albums
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

I agree that she's a way better singer.

The ghostwriting ? is a crutch used by those that dislike Drake. Twista, Cube, and others have periodically used a ghostwriter. Just like Drake, they used one for a very minor portion of their catalog. Like the Blastmaster KRS-1 said, it's no big deal.

The Score and Miseducation are both classics, so yeah.....Lauren is a hip hop queen in my opinion. With that said, Drake is currently sitting on the top of the hip hop game. He, along with Kendrick, are running this ? . That can't be denied.
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    Everyone on this site considers the following album as a hip hop classic........

2e0371a05c1f60c70720dcd45345f1b38c3f6a93.jpg

There isn't much difference between what L Boogie did back then and what Drake is doing now. Matter of fact, Drake raps way more than Lauren did.

I swear I hate stupid ? .

Speak on it homie.

Did Lauren's only album consist of her rapping in some songs, while singing in others?........Does Drake's new album consist of him rapping in some songs, while singing in others?

The answer to both of those questions is yes. There is nothing "stupid" about me forcing you ? to explain your positions?
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

alright I'll take this on.

Let's start with the quality of singing. Lauryn's a pretty good singer I'd say, from a technical standpoint and the quality of her voice. Drake's singing is average at best, and that's with the assistance of autotune, studio effects, and being best friends with a dope engineer (40).

Then there's the rapping. I'd say Drake and Lauryn have closer skill sets when it comes to rapping than when they're singing, but I still think Lauryn has a slight edge on Drizzy.

a big part of the difference imo is the amount of albums. Lauryn has only dropped 1 album, Drake has 4 "official" albums plus 2 mixtapes that are essentially albums. then you can decide whether or not you wanna include WATTBA w/ Future. Drake's sound and topics haven't changed much throughout his albums.

Finally there's the big point of Miseducation being a classic and Drake having no albums that are widely considered classics outside of his fan/stan base. If Thank Me Later would've came out and been as highly regarded as Miseducation was things might be different.

I have no arguments against this post.
  • S2J
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    LOL "its impossible to ? up reggae"
    DNB1 wrote: »
    LOL "its impossible to ? up reggae"

? sounded so racist...

? u always outta the loop, beat it foreigner

And I didnt stutter. Relatively speaking (Duh) its fuck8ng impossible to ? up when blended with hip hop. Name me a bad rap song by a talented rapper with reggae influence I'll wait

Dmx Here comes the boom
    Ja Crown
    Super Cat ft Biggie Dolly My Baby
    Distant Relatives
    One Dance
    Controlla

Plus half these ? dont even know there favorite song is a reggae cover or influenced by it

Again, I'll wait. Bad mainstream rap-reggae song. Go...

Every song you listed is a bad reggae rap mashup.

You don't know ? about reggae. So don't comment on it. From the songs you listed I can tell you only listen to dancehall/commercial ? .

And Most of these mashups are hip hop beats whith reggae artist on them. The only rapper to rap on an actual riddim was DMX and to me that song was trash.

Drake is a ? ? who steal ? waves, and you soft ass ? applaud him for it.

You ole' Calgon ?

You gotdamn right i listen to mainstream and dancehall reggae, bloodclot. I live in America :joy: This aint Gloucester Ave, no one cares that you use riddim in sentence, no one cares about your traditional reggae principles. Here in Americaaaa if u gon add reggae to it just make it sound GOOD. Thats the only criteria. No one cares about your 'feel the riddim', this aint Cool Runnings. If u want traditional reggae pop in some Lucky Dube and kick rocks
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

That ain´t the point of what the poster you´re quoting was saying. He´s talking in terms of artistic direction/decision, that the formula is practically the same as Lauren´s, doesn´t matter if he doesn´t write his own ? or sing as good, the intention is the same and thats the point he´s making.

Gratitude fam. This is all that I was asking.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

I agree that she's a way better singer.

The ghostwriting ? is a crutch used by those that dislike Drake. Twista, Cube, and others have periodically used a ghostwriter. Just like Drake, they used one for a very minor portion of their catalog. Like the Blastmaster KRS-1 said, it's no big deal.

The Score and Miseducation are both classics, so yeah.....Lauren is a hip hop queen in my opinion. With that said, Drake is currently sitting on the top of the hip hop game. He, along with Kendrick, are running this ? . That can't be denied.

Drake uses gw's periodically!?

Do you know the definition of periodically?