The Official Drake ‘VIEWS’ Album Thread

Options

Comments

• TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at being in the wrong for looking for an artist to evolve past what they've been comfortable doing for 7 years. While in the same breath criticize those who seek to challenge themselves and stop out of their comfort zone. Thread turning into a joke. Mamba out.

Does budden step out his comfort zone seriously....I'm really wondering cuz ion listen to him
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »
    illedout wrote: »
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

Explain the difference between Lauren Hill singing and rapping on her album in comparison to Drake doing the same.

Lauryn can actually sing..

Lauryn write her own lyrics..

Lauryn also make better music..

I agree that she's a way better singer.

The ghostwriting ? is a crutch used by those that dislike Drake. Twista, Cube, and others have periodically used a ghostwriter. Just like Drake, they used one for a very minor portion of their catalog. Like the Blastmaster KRS-1 said, it's no big deal.

The Score and Miseducation are both classics, so yeah.....Lauren is a hip hop queen in my opinion. With that said, Drake is currently sitting on the top of the hip hop game. He, along with Kendrick, are running this ? . That can't be denied.

the ghost writing thing isn't a crutch its facts..

drake has officially crossed over and become a pop artist, hence the Beyoncé comparisons..
    (Nothing wrong with being a pop artist)..
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone on this site considers the following album as a hip hop classic........

2e0371a05c1f60c70720dcd45345f1b38c3f6a93.jpg

There isn't much difference between what L Boogie did back then and what Drake is doing now. Matter of fact, Drake raps way more than Lauren did.

I swear I hate stupid ? .

Speak on it homie.

Did Lauren's only album consist of her rapping in some songs, while singing in others?........Does Drake's new album consist of him rapping in some songs, while singing in others?

The answer to both of those questions is yes. There is nothing "stupid" about me forcing you ? to explain your positions?

I'll explain my take and my opinion.

For starters I don't care about the quantity or the musical output. Whether it's 1 song or 1,000 albums if that ? touches me for a lifetime pause, then that ? is the only thing that matters to me when it comes to music. Drake ? don't do that for me.

The only songs lauryn was known for singing were killing em softly, the song on sister act 2 and if I ruled the world. From what I remember she was praised for her singing. Drake wasn't/isn't praised for singing. Lauryn was praised for her great rapping ability on the score. People were already considering her a great artist after one group album. After 2 mixtapes from Drake people said he had great potential.

To me lauryn is an overall better artist then Drake because whether it's rapping or singing she does both outstandingly.
    Drake not so much imo.

To sum this ? up. People didnt mind Lauryn singing because she was ? great at it.

People don't like Drake singing because he can't ? sing.

Fair enough.
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    LOL "its impossible to ? up reggae"
    DNB1 wrote: »
    LOL "its impossible to ? up reggae"

? sounded so racist...

? u always outta the loop, beat it foreigner

And I didnt stutter. Relatively speaking (Duh) its fuck8ng impossible to ? up when blended with hip hop. Name me a bad rap song by a talented rapper with reggae influence I'll wait

Dmx Here comes the boom
    Ja Crown
    Super Cat ft Biggie Dolly My Baby
    Distant Relatives
    One Dance
    Controlla

Plus half these ? dont even know there favorite song is a reggae cover or influenced by it

Again, I'll wait. Bad mainstream rap-reggae song. Go...

Every song you listed is a bad reggae rap mashup.

You don't know ? about reggae. So don't comment on it. From the songs you listed I can tell you only listen to dancehall/commercial ? .

And Most of these mashups are hip hop beats whith reggae artist on them. The only rapper to rap on an actual riddim was DMX and to me that song was trash.

Drake is a ? ? who steal ? waves, and you soft ass ? applaud him for it.

You ole' Calgon ?

You gotdamn right i listen to mainstream and dancehall reggae, bloodclot. I live in America :joy: This aint Gloucester Ave, no one cares that you use riddim in sentence, no one cares about your traditional reggae principles. Here in Americaaaa if u gon add reggae to it just make it sound GOOD. Thats the only criteria. No one cares about your 'feel the riddim', this aint Cool Runnings. If u want traditional reggae pop in some Lucky Dube and kick rocks

? stupid
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't tell if this is a rap album or R&B album, the only people who can consider this album a classic is ? stans and females, you can't tell the 'If You're Reading this It's too Late' crowd and 'What a Time to be Alive' crowd that this is a classic, I can't jam this ? at all in my car, the ? I look like playing a album like this on my subs?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    LOL at being in the wrong for looking for an artist to evolve past what they've been comfortable doing for 7 years. While in the same breath criticize those who seek to challenge themselves and stop out of their comfort zone. Thread turning into a joke. Mamba out.

Does budden step out his comfort zone seriously....I'm really wondering cuz ion listen to him

Haven't messed with his music in awhile but yes

@TayGettem
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

Explain the difference between Lauren Hill singing and rapping on her album in comparison to Drake doing the same.

Lauryn can actually sing..

Lauryn write her own lyrics..

Lauryn also make better music..

I agree that she's a way better singer.

The ghostwriting ? is a crutch used by those that dislike Drake. Twista, Cube, and others have periodically used a ghostwriter. Just like Drake, they used one for a very minor portion of their catalog. Like the Blastmaster KRS-1 said, it's no big deal.

The Score and Miseducation are both classics, so yeah.....Lauren is a hip hop queen in my opinion. With that said, Drake is currently sitting on the top of the hip hop game. He, along with Kendrick, are running this ? . That can't be denied.

drake has officially crossed over and become a pop artist, hence the Beyoncé comparisons..
    (Nothing wrong with being a pop artist)..

My thoughts exactly. Drake isnt making music for a buncha guys on an internet forum who ONLY listen to rap he makes it for everybody. And its making him more successful.

Only in hip hop goin pop is frowned upon but maintaining that crossover appeal takes a lot more than rappers who sit in their own little niche.

Nothing wrong with either tho cuz musically both types are needed.

But for an artist like drake to have the potential that he has and not strive to push it forward would be a waste.

Hes not just a rapper anymore
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

She could actually sing and write without so many reference tracks/pitch correcting.
  • Go figure
    Options

Very nicely summed up

How many copies have Joe's last few albums sold?......Matter of fact I'm curious if his entire catalog combined has moved as many units as this Drake album eventually will.

I dont agree with this argument. Just cuz someone might not sell well musically doesnt mean they dont judge music well.

If anything him being an artist (with longevity) makes his opinion more valuable, even if ppl disagree with it.

Hes like a niche rapper, but he serves his purpose well and has contributed plenty imo
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Very nicely summed up

How many copies have Joe's last few albums sold?......Matter of fact I'm curious if his entire catalog combined has moved as many units as this Drake album eventually will.

Why do y'all do this? Honestly who gives a ? ? Dude is entitled to his opinion because he spent his time (possibly money) listening to it.
    ? use sales as a crutch and defense mechanism when they can't use critical thinking to effectively debate a topic such as skill or talent.

He brings up a great point that many fans feel and that Drake is lacking in the subject matter category.
  • Go figure
    edited May 2016
    Options

Budden gets into the drake album right off bat for anyone interested...

..claims to "love drake" as an artist as well
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Drake can make hit singles but not an albums worth. He's marketable, he ll be able tour, get sponsorships, sell records.Best album is Take Care. His first album was trash.

He is what he is at this point. He's not in the making a classic business.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    What a time to be alive and iyrtitl are Drake's 2 worst albums by far

Hell nah ? lol WATTBA is one of Drake's best albums.

Just seen this is suppose to sell close to 2 mil in a week, crazy.

Cheat codes
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    What a time to be alive and iyrtitl are Drake's 2 worst albums by far

Hell nah ? lol WATTBA is one of Drake's best albums.

Just seen this is suppose to sell close to 2 mil in a week, crazy.

Cheat codes

How? Samsung ain't buy 1 million of his albums like Jay

As Forbes points out, under the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA) new rules, “1,500 on-demand song streams in the United States [hold] the same value as 10 individual track sales or 1 full album sale.” This rule applies to songs released ahead of the full album on which they end up. Released last July, "Hotline Bling" has been streamed 400 million times on Spotify and 700 million times on YouTube. It's unclear how many of these streams came from the United States. But to give you an idea, 400 million streams in the United States equates to 267,000 album sales under the RIAA's rules.

@Bcotton5

Cheatcodes
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OVO sound we killin em .
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As troy average as Drakes album is the combination of Apple Music release and his brand totally just bodied Beyonce and Tidal. Now make no mistake Beyonce is selling out ? ballparks and stadiums every few nights like it ain't no thing. But drake just bodied Bey's marketing campaign.

Beyonce drops a surprise album + hbo special + tidal exclusive drop + rumored lyrics about jay cheating and you think that will be the talk of the month.

Drake drops views the next week + has a single interview on beats 1 + limits you from buying singles from Views so you have to buy the whole album if you want a digital copy + puts tickets on sale for his arena tour.

The result is the album sales for drake are going to look like double what bey did and his album will have more summer smash singles. So Beyonce has 3 times the amount of people at her show but drake is about do at least 2 times the sales his first week than bey did. Beyhive power and all was no match for Drakes Special Ops Stan Team 6 when it came to buying the product.

Long story short this shows the flaw that is Tidal's limited user base. Hip hop is built on first week power. Fair or nah Drake topped Beyonce because apple music had a larger streaming base and a larger online music store population in I-Tunes. Even bey who is tidal over everything decided to drop her album on I-Tunes after a few days on tidal only. Likewise drake had i tunes pre-orders that will inflate his first week as well. That meant as soon as views dropped thousands of accounts automatically downloaded the album and Credit Cards (and scammers) were charged for the purchase. Oh and ? ain't even put physical copies in the store yet.

• gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh i like it
    Bump it everytime im in this thread
    feel a way, feel a way, young ? feel a way
    And enjoy reading the hate
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Real talk.
    ? Drake and this album. I only care about it because I was waiting for Big Ghost to review it.

and he did.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/drake-views-big-ghost-album-review.html
    Bruh....

3. “U With Me?” – The title of this thot anthem kinda says it all. To add insult to the paper cut.. Mr Sadpants had the nerve to sample the muthafuckin antithesis of his own self on this ? . How you tryna pay homage to DMX b? Aint like son went outta his way to ever say one remotely positive thing bout you ever bruh. Matter fact Ima jus let X speak on it…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz4bgJgRXeY

Dog…its no reconciliation after ? like that nahmean. What you tryna be that man friend after he disrespects ya face n ya damn haircut? Son… Only thing he aint do was say that ya moms aint ? for birthin you. Thats it. That was the line DMX was unwilling to cross…disrespectin ya old earth for allowin a petty sideways talkin bitchmade wave ridin culture vulture wit trust issues n gummi bears pumpin from his heart to gestate inside her ? . Thats where the line is drawn for Earl. He gon hate on ya little motherly voice n how you walk n ya weepy lost dog face but he not bout to disrespect mom dukes like that. Thats admirable b. That’s a gentleman right there yo. But this Drake character? I mean look at this verse…

“On some DMX ?
    I group DM my exes
    I tell em they belong to me / That goes on for forever
    And I think we jus get closer when we not together (*sniffle*)
    You tell me that Im confusin
    More immature than Marques Houston
    Cuts too deep for a bandaid solution =(
    We too deep in this thing to never lose me
    LOLOL Im glad you find this ? amusing :'(

Aint enough trash emojis to fully express how basura this boy bars is startin to get. ? is like a teacher caught two 12 yr olds passin notes n read the funny parts out loud in front of the class n somebody threw a beat under it. J. Cole wouldnt even use these rhymes…

? done. ? is 100% accurate.

That verse is just embarrassing man
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn. That's the DMX joint yall was gassin?
    Times have really ? changed

That ? was straight corn
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    gns wrote: »
    gee757 wrote: »
    I c this is a good yr 4 r&b singers Kirby & b diid krazy numbers.....smh@ hip hop anticipating this Canadian off brand jaFAKING views hip pop ghost written bs

Not to quote this ? but speaking of jafakin i was listening to some old Drake, Dead Presidents freestyle to be exact and he was going at kardinal offishal :
    So take me as I am have nada of me the red stripe on my jacket show you that Prada love me
    I'm a threat in a city of no legends imagine that a whole Sixteen with no bredrens
    No ? gunshots identity this you a rapper homie leave that for Trinity Chris word

He was getting at kardinall for the patois he throws in his raps im guessing cause kardinall has Jamaican background i believe even though he reps Canada.
    Now years later this ? the most popular Jamaican that aint Jamaican. Everything this ? sez is old ass slang we used to use.

That ? is funny as hell. He still got enough cracka in him to hate on a ? then take his ? and profit from it.

Na kardinal fronted on Drake. Drake wanted kardinal on the city is mine song. Instead kardinal said fck that and did his own thing in the beat then released it so I guess u can say Drake is just frontin on him now

Dope background info. I always liked that freestyle but I had no idea he was gettin' at Kardinal Offishal.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @illedout
    @GetoBoy

A ) Lauren can actually sing
    B ) Her raps aren't put together by a team
    C ) She makes better quality of music
    D ) Like it or not she's a woman so her singing and rapping isn't gonna be as frowned upon (look at Nicki she sings as much as Drake and just as bad but nobody trips)
    E ) She wasn't doing the same songs for 7 years sometimes the quantity and oversaturation of something can play into it being more of a problem