Chrisette Michele Loses Netflix Deal After Trump Performance

Options

Comments

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kzzl

So people feel like Trump is taunting us, proving that he can pay to have our talents as entertainment at his events.. I understand that. But how did her being there actually, tangibly help Trump and/or hurt Us?

Even if Chrisette was naive and desperate, and even if Trump is being petty.. What non-emotional, real world effect did her performance have? What IMPACT is this outrage aimed at?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    @kzzl

So people feel like Trump is taunting us, proving that he can pay to have our talents as entertainment at his events.. I understand that. But how did her being there actually, tangibly help Trump and/or hurt Us?

Even if Chrisette was naive and desperate, and even if Trump is being petty.. What non-emotional, real world effect did her performance have? What IMPACT is this outrage aimed at?

- Black unity ?
    - Setting examples ?
    - Morals and standards - showing that some things are more important than money ?
    - Not performing for racists ?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kzzl

Its a display. It doesn't have to be tangible, but it's like she's picking sides. Although it was mentioned that Hollywood may give her real backlash later in her career.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »
    People screaming that CM won't get money out they pocket because she sang but ? with people who could give 2 ? about them spending all they money with them. Those disrespectful ass Arabs stay getting money from us but we steady go in theirs store, the irony

I don't, and I bet I ain't the only one (@ the bolded)... just sayin.

Arab owned businesses remain in those areas for a reason. U and whoever else u are referring to are exceptions.

Its one on 83rd and Luella, I dont mess with them at all and its the next block over from me
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kzzl

No I will not be able to predict and articulate the precise economic or social impact of this one event.

But that's not the point ...

It's the principle of what her actions represent.

Calculate for me the IMPACT of a black man being vilified and portrayed as criminal on the 10 o'clock news...

But aren't they JUST 5 minutes of pixels on a screen?"

How could that possibly be representative of tens millions of Black men in the minds of the entire country?

And yet it is...

Symbols have meaning ...

Especially those with this kind of scale.

They are interpreted and magnified across entire generations on a concious and subconscious level.

Even if ole girl's performance never rises to that level ... it is the PRINCIPLE that it could ...

and she still chose to do it, anyway.

• Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People screaming that CM won't get money out they pocket because she sang but ? with people who could give 2 ? about them spending all they money with them. Those disrespectful ass Arabs stay getting money from us but we steady go in theirs store, the irony

I don't, and I bet I ain't the only one (@ the bolded)... just sayin.

Arab owned businesses remain in those areas for a reason. U and whoever else u are referring to are exceptions.

Its one on 83rd and Luella, I dont mess with them at all and its the next block over from me

Where im usually around on pulaski between 18th and 21st its side by side arab owned stores and a gas station. Gas station closed down for 6 months or so and just reopened, arab owned still.

I avoid that little strip bc its too much ? around there n go to cicero instead but they get plenty of business daily. For some ppl its convenience tho especially if they dont have a car.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kzzl

I dont think there's really too much tangible. Its over was no disaster or anything. I didnt see it. Some people wanna add whatever they want to to it I guess for whatever "reasons". She's supposed to be "every black person" (in their eyes of course) and they "mad" cause she aint do what they want or something. Thats about it on this for me ready to let this "topic" fizzle on out.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    - Black unity ?
    - Setting examples ?
    - Morals and standards - showing that some things are more important than money ?
    - Not performing for racists ?

You're talking about principles..
    But who's behavior are we afraid her 'violations' are going to influence? Ours?
    Who are we afraid that this performance is going to empower? Them?

Some people act like being Black voids all other personal trials, tribulations and thoughts. Shorty's goofy but she's not a ? or a traitor; And so far, all the variables pertaining to this particular instance have ultimately rendered her performance null.

kzzl wrote: »
    Its a display. It doesn't have to be tangible, but it's like she's picking sides. Although it was mentioned that Hollywood may give her real backlash later in her career.

"It's like she's picking sides?"
    So she didn't actually pick or switch sides, but it's still "like" she did..

See, that's what this is. People are attaching a bunch of extra, emotional nonsense to the fact that this happened, instead of realizing that nothing actually came of it. ? are mad because they can be, not because of anything that we actually have to deal with as a result of Chrisette's performance.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's foul for doing that if that's the only reason. PC ? is out of control if you can't have a difference of opinion out here.
  • Go figure
    Options
    By performing, she is supporting a regime that will harm countless black people including young black girls, perhaps ESPECIALLY young black girls. If she's strapped for cash and really needs it like that, it's her prerogative, but even that doesn't protect her from the repercussions in a free market. The black community has the freedom to respond in kind and she won't get another nickel from me.

People keep on saying ? like this. Are y'all going to boycott the government now? That regime is in charge. So should black contractors avoid federal work. Should black students avoid federal grants? Should poor blacks avoid federal assistance. Trump and his picks are over all of that. I don't see how you can be so hard on this chick for doing something trivial like singing a song, but be with all the examples of black people who will be truly indebted to the Trump run government.

Too easy. She did not have to partake in this event. In fact, there is a long list of celeb invites who refused to show up, and it had been a headline for the past two months that the administration was having trouble booking talent. That coalition was formed INTENTIONALLY as a block to make a statement against him and what he stands for. Did she not get the memo that the whole world is standing against this man? She consciously chose to cross the proverbial line and these are the results. Are you a member of a union? Because I am. Do you understand the impact of crossing the picket line? We are dead ass not in a time for celebrities to waver in influence when they have a platform, or rather the ear of the public.

What happened to freedom of choice? Not conforming to masses just bc they are the masses? Individuality.....

Burn anyone who doesnt agree with u is the name of the game lately. We're not far from a witch hunt here.

If this country implodes it wont be the fault of one side, or group, thats for sure. But maybe thats necessary.
  • Go figure
    edited January 2017
    Options
    By performing, she is supporting a regime that will harm countless black people including young black girls, perhaps ESPECIALLY young black girls. If she's strapped for cash and really needs it like that, it's her prerogative, but even that doesn't protect her from the repercussions in a free market. The black community has the freedom to respond in kind and she won't get another nickel from me.

People keep on saying ? like this. Are y'all going to boycott the government now? That regime is in charge. So should black contractors avoid federal work. Should black students avoid federal grants? Should poor blacks avoid federal assistance. Trump and his picks are over all of that. I don't see how you can be so hard on this chick for doing something trivial like singing a song, but be with all the examples of black people who will be truly indebted to the Trump run government.

Too easy. She did not have to partake in this event. In fact, there is a long list of celeb invites who refused to show up, and it had been a headline for the past two months that the administration was having trouble booking talent. That coalition was formed INTENTIONALLY as a block to make a statement against him and what he stands for. Did she not get the memo that the whole world is standing against this man? She consciously chose to cross the proverbial line and these are the results. Are you a member of a union? Because I am. Do you understand the impact of crossing the picket line? We are dead ass not in a time for celebrities to waver in influence when they have a platform, or rather the ear of the public.

What happened to freedom of choice? Not conforming to masses just bc they are the masses? Individuality.....

Burn anyone who doesnt agree with u is the name of the game lately. We're not far from a witch hunt here.

If this country implodes it wont be the fault of one side, or group, thats for sure. But maybe thats necessary.

She has freedom of choice. Freedom of choice doesn't protect anyone from repercussions in a free market. I have the freedom to not buy her ? . And you're right? I will burn anyone who doesn't agree with me IF the topic of discussion is this critical. How easy is it to be on the right side of this issue? How much of a no-brainer is this one?

This man went on an 18 month rampage exposing how he feels about ? . Insult John Lewis who is a national treasure? Invoke language and imagery at your rallies about what used to happen to protestors in your day and how people would be at the ? out of them? Double down on the Kenyan birther ? ? Proclaim yourself as the "law and order" President that we need restored? Promote stop-and-frisk? Hire a bunch of klansmen and neo nazis to join your cabinet? Any ? performing for him won't get a penny from me. This is too easy of a decision for me. Y'all can go buy her ? if you want

There are more important things to boycott that are closer to home that actually affect u directly....that, while im only assuming, u probably either dont pay attention to or dont have nearly the same amount of vigilance "combatting"
  • Go figure
    Options
    Last 2 posts acting like people don't have a right to react to what someone does.

Like Ob. said, the ? chose... and now people are choosing too.

And I liked the chick but it is what it is, they're not assassinating the ? - they just ain't ? with her - their choice.

Eh, not assaassinating her but public shame is arguable. Im not arguing that ppl dont have a right to react just that the environment we are setting ourselves up for in the long run could be detrimental to everyone, including those partaking in putting a stake thru her.
  • Go figure
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Its like yall are forgetting the Only reason she was picked is because Nobody else would sing for trump.. they Settled for chrisette and yall in here patting her on the back.

On the contrary, im simply stating its not necessary to 'spit in her face'

No back pats here. Didnt care about her before this (like most of u), dont care after.
  • Trillfate
    Options
    Its like yall are forgetting the Only reason she was picked is because Nobody else would sing for trump.. they Settled for chrisette and yall in here patting her on the back.

No back pats here. Didnt care about her before this (like most of u), dont care after.

*gladly spits in Chrisette Michele's face*

...because she did so first.
  • Go figure
    Options

She has freedom of choice. Freedom of choice doesn't protect anyone from repercussions in a free market. I have the freedom to not buy her ? . And you're right? I will burn anyone who doesn't agree with me IF the topic of discussion is this critical. How easy is it to be on the right side of this issue? How much of a no-brainer is this one?

This man went on an 18 month rampage exposing how he feels about ? . Insult John Lewis who is a national treasure? Invoke language and imagery at your rallies about what used to happen to protestors in your day and how people would be at the ? out of them? Double down on the Kenyan birther ? ? Proclaim yourself as the "law and order" President that we need restored? Promote stop-and-frisk? Hire a bunch of klansmen and neo nazis to join your cabinet? Any ? performing for him won't get a penny from me. This is too easy of a decision for me. Y'all can go buy her ? if you want

There are more important things to boycott that are closer to home that actually affect u directly....that, while im only assuming, u probably either dont pay attention to or dont have nearly the same amount of vigilance "combatting"

I'm not standing outside with a sign at Chrisette's concerts. It does not take much of an effort on my part to not support something with my hard earned money that blatantly offends my sensibilities. It certainly does not require energy and/or thought. I simply won't indulge. And I do so for a lot of products/brands. You're saying there are more important things to boycott as if I'm wasting my time. It takes 0 time and effort to NOT buy someone's ? .

If u are vigilant in other areas of your life in boycotting, then congrats...doesnt apply to u.

But a lot of ppl complaining usually dont think twice about where they spend their money.

Or never bought her cd or attended her concert in the first place. So until that changes, what diff does it make?
  • Go figure
    Options

*gladly spits in Chrisette Michele's face*

...because she did so first.

Bless your 'bleeding heart'
  • Trillfate
    Options
    Also lets not forget sole reason she did this is for the check, there was no upstanding righteous political or socially conscious reason

She sang for some change

She holla'd for a dolla

She hit high notes for c-notes
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not standing outside with a sign at Chrisette's concerts. It does not take much of an effort on my part to not support something with my hard earned money that blatantly offends my sensibilities. It certainly does not require energy and/or thought. I simply won't indulge. And I do so for a lot of products/brands. You're saying there are more important things to boycott as if I'm wasting my time. It takes 0 time and effort to NOT buy someone's ? .

If u are vigilant in other areas of your life in boycotting, then congrats...doesnt apply to u.

But a lot of ppl complaining usually dont think twice about where they spend their money.

Or never bought her cd or attended her concert in the first place. So until that changes, what diff does it make?

See but apparently they do (@ the bolded) hence this discussion.