The official Gun/Firearm discussion/appreciation thread

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    King$osa wrote: »
    Yea I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and set up a trust. I didn't know about any rule changes I haven't brushed up on the rules in awhile.
    so as of July 2016, all responsible persons on a trust need to do photos, fingerprinting, all that. however, CLEO sign-off is now CLEO notification. so trusts are now a bit more work and individual filing less so.

i myself have a trust for access reasons (not the only person that can access my safe) so there's that benefit to a trust. also helps with estate purposes. otherwise, trust functionality took a hit.

• janklow
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I ended up getting a Primary Arms 1-6x ACCS reticle scope. Def geared more for shooting people than coyotes but it should be functional for predator hunting. I know you're gonna give me ? for going more on the value side lololol.
    PA is adequate, not terrible
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How much difference is there in a 16", 18", and 20" barrels on an AR? I'm kinda thinking I should just get a longer barrel and put a scope on it. It just doesn't make sense for me to have red dot and short barrel for what I'm gonna be mostly using my AR for, but what I'm doing exactly what I wanted to avoid by buying a cheapie AR and then upgrading parts. I really regret not doing more research and saving up for something a little nicer.

depends on what caliber and how far u plan on shooting (and also what u plan on shooting)

if it's .223/5.56, then a 16" barrel is fine.......u can take it to 500yds

if u want to get a little further and maximize the use of a long range scope, u could even get a 18" .223 Wylde barrel with an upper and take it out to 800yds (but ballistically u ain't doing much with a .223/5.56 at 800 yds)

otherwise if u shoot .308 and above it's not uncommon to see semi autos and even bolt action rifles with a chassis in an AR style.......so it really depends on what u really are ultimately trying to do with it

if u just gon hunt small game with a .223 than ur standard 16" barrel should be more than enough.....otherwise consider a full size rifle like the M16 spec, or even consider shooting another caliber

I'm gonna keep the 16" barrel. For shooting coyotes in MN most everything will be 300 yards or under, even in the open parts of the state. Just so flat out here it's hard to even get a vantage point to see farther than that, unless in calling over a lake or large pond. But even then they don't really like cross areas like that so it's pointless to try to draw them out there. But I digress.

I ended up getting a Primary Arms 1-6x ACCS reticle scope. Def geared more for shooting people than coyotes but it should be functional for predator hunting. I know you're gonna give me ? for going more on the value side lololol.

LOL nah bruh u good

I'm a firm believer in paying for accessories that are on the same level as the main body.........doesn't make sense to purchase a cheap AR and then put a Leupold or a Swarovski or a Schmidt & ? scope on it

I would've laughed if u said u purchased a Millett scope tho

but then I would've maybe been a little jealous if the Millett scope ended up working well for u....nobody wants to overpay for performance

that Primary Arms scope should be good enough, but I would've personally went with at least a 3-9x only cause my vision ain't what it used to be SMH
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yah I'm like OCD and it would feel weird as hell having a super expensive part on a cheapie AR. It's unmatching.

The only thing I'd consider switching out is the trigger in my cheapie AR. It's just ? and feels way too heavy.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »
    janklow wrote: »
    Thinking about either getting another p320 but in compact or getting a glock 26. I've been trying to hold out for the p320RX in compact but they taking too long...
    not worth it to just keep the chassis and get parts to swap the P320's config?

Oh it's very worth it. I figured out what I'm gonna do.

I've got a grip module for the compact version on its way to me. I'm gonna have the front of it cut to fit the subcompact slide. Then I'm going to buy another subcompact slide for 220 & have it milled for Sig's Romeo1 red dot. This way, I'll be able to switch between a custom p320 compact rx & a p320 subcompact using one fire control unit.

the plan is slowly coming together. i just ordered this bad boy.

4mxu6tohjacw.jpg

complete p320 subcompact slide w/ recoil spring assembly and 9mm barrel w/ contrast sights. i should have it in the next two weeks.

i already got my compact grip module. it just needs to be cut.

then it'll be getting these suppressor night sights..
    opplanet-sig-sauer-siglite-suppressor-night-sight-set-p220-sight-siglite-sup-sd9-ap-sssightsigl-main.jpg

and the last big purchase will be the damn romeo 1.

• Will Munny
    Options
    100 yards with factory ammo and using a duffel bag full of puffy jackets as a rest lolololol. Not too bad considering the circumstances.
    ea1c0j.jpg
  • janklow
    Options
    Yah I'm like OCD and it would feel weird as hell having a super expensive part on a cheapie AR. It's unmatching.
    yeah, i get that completely. the only AR i have with a nice optic is my SBR.

•  i ro ny
    edited February 2017
    Options

still waiting on this slide to ship out. should be shipping tomorrow.

the grip module that i got was the wrong generation for my FCU. hopefully the correct one gets sent tomorrow too.

smh.
  •  i ro ny
    Options

finally got the slide.

now im waiting for this grip module....
  •  i ro ny
    Options

Why are red dot sights so expensive?!?!

I was looking into other options since sig's Romeo 1 sight is sold out pretty much everywhere and the ones I've seen cost just about as much as a new firearm altogether.

The Romeo 1 is $299. I can live with that...even knowing that I gotta pay for milling/installation and all that. But these Trijicon RMR joints? $500. The ? .
  • Will Munny
    Options
    @blakfyahking will school u on red dots, don't even think about getting a vortex.
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    @blakfyahking will school u on red dots, don't even think about getting a vortex.

In waiting for this ? sig optic, I've been looking at reviews of the vortex, the Burris fastfire 3 and of course, the trijicon RMRs. What's wrong with the vortex?

I don't wanna take any shortcuts with the red dot but got damn.
  • Will Munny
    Options

In waiting for this ? sig optic, I've been looking at reviews of the vortex, the Burris fastfire 3 and of course, the trijicon RMRs. What's wrong with the vortex?

I don't wanna take any shortcuts with the red dot but got damn.

lol there's nothing wrong with them, I actually really liked my Vortex. I just remember Blakfyahking was giving me ? about mine and I always bring it up.

I sold my Vortex red dot for $135 and I only paid $180 for it. So they have resale value on eBay atleast.
  • blakfyahking
    edited February 2017
    Options
    LOL at me picking on @Will Munny 's Vortex scope again

honestly Vortex is not a bad brand, however their lower priced scopes deserve some extra scrutiny

if u don't beat them too hard they should be good.......and I'm speaking just on rifle red dots/long range scopes, pistols are a whole different issue

for pistol optics I currently ? with the SIG Romeo and Leupold's Deltapoint.......I'd even consider Vortex's Venom pistol optic, but why when for just $50 more bucks u can get a proven SIG Romeo

Vortex's warranty is great if buying from the factory but their lower end equipment has been questionable for a minute.......that's probably why so many other companies can get away with selling so many cheap optics because Vortex doesn't really distinguish itself at the lower end
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    also there are multiple rumors that gander mountain might be getting ready to declare bankruptcy

might be an opportunity to do some last minute gun shopping at a heavy discount at any stores that might close in the future.......not wishing the worst on Gander Mountain but I do got my fingers crossed hoping I can take advantage SMH
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I've read that rumour as well, and I think it might be more than just a rumor.

? Gander tho, they mislabeled some ? on their website once and I thought I was gonna get it dirt cheap, but they cancelled my order. I'm still butt hurt about.
  •  i ro ny
    Options

honestly Vortex is not a bad brand, however there lower priced scopes deserve some extra scrutiny

if u don't beat them too hard they should be good.......and I'm speaking just on rifle red dots/long range scopes, pistols are a whole different issue

for pistol optics I currently ? with the SIG Romeo and Leupold's Deltapoint.......I'd even consider Vortex's Venom pistol optic, but why when for just $50 more bucks u can get a proven SIG Romeo

Vortex's warranty is great if buying from the factory but their lower end equipment has been questionable for a minute.......that's probably why so many other companies can get away with selling so many cheap optics because Vortex doesn't rally distinguish itself at the lower end

getting a hold of that romeo without buying the 320 rx or the p226 mk25 rx is the hard part...

im bout to say ? it and go this route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LADta_SbP7s
  • janklow
    Options
    Why are red dot sights so expensive?!?!

I was looking into other options since sig's Romeo 1 sight is sold out pretty much everywhere and the ones I've seen cost just about as much as a new firearm altogether.

The Romeo 1 is $299. I can live with that...even knowing that I gotta pay for milling/installation and all that. But these Trijicon RMR joints? $500. The ? .
    ironically, i recently said ? it and put a Trijicon MRO on my SBR. and... it's really ? nice. i am not a big optics guy, so this was weird for me to even do.

SIG's new sights actually seem to have a good rep (for now). look into Primary Arms' line of red dots if you want something that's good (not great) but won't break the bank.

• janklow
    edited February 2017
    Options
    also, i decided i needed another Beretta in my life and bought a CX4 Storm. i supposed i don't really NEED multiple PCCs, but this one is sort of for the lady to play with as well. opine away, internets
  • blakfyahking
    Options

honestly Vortex is not a bad brand, however there lower priced scopes deserve some extra scrutiny

Vortex's warranty is great if buying from the factory but their lower end equipment has been questionable for a minute.......that's probably why so many other companies can get away with selling so many cheap optics because Vortex doesn't rally distinguish itself at the lower end

getting a hold of that romeo without buying the 320 rx or the p226 mk25 rx is the hard part...

pure truth at the bolded......if u lucky to get one from a good source then u still gone spend the extra just to have it milled/installed on the slide

I already have a full size p320 and I just don't have a use for the rx.....I do like it tho, just not enough to enough to pay almost $800 for the same pistol with the sight on it

optics on pistols are nothing but a pure playful indulgence to me, I have no real practical use for them in a real world context
  •  i ro ny
    Options

pure truth at the bolded......if u lucky to get one from a good source then u still gone spend the extra just to have it milled/installed on the slide

I already have a full size p320 and I just don't have a use for the rx.....I do like it tho, just not enough to enough to pay almost $800 for the same pistol with the sight on it

optics on pistols are nothing but a pure playful indulgence to me, I have no real practical use for them in a real world context

I feel you. I've never used one, but they seem like fun.

I've seen that some people put red dots on their edc gun and that's cool and all but not something I want to or would do.

I just want my subcompact to transform into a subcompact/compact rx when it goes on the nightstand. Then if I wanted to add or play with other accessories like lasers or lights, I could do it easily with the same "gun" without having 2 different guns.

• Will Munny
    Options
    Because I have nowhere share this vid of me putting firearms to use. I've always been a much better wing shot than anything else.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    Because I have nowhere share this vid of me putting firearms to use. I've always been a much better wing shot than anything else.

Hoodoggy!!! :s

haha that the best part of the vid
  • Will Munny
    Options
    That was a rare redneck outburst, and even rarer that I didn't swear at any point.
  • janklow
    Options
    what if i left my ? old-school knock-off SIG optic on the P556 it came with?

...wait, that's right, that whole gun is pure playful indulgence