Whats Wrong With Being Regionally Biased?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
I didn't want to derail the other thread, but people were saying, or implying that being regionally biased is a bad thing.

I like East Coast Hip Hop from the 80s and 90s and some stuff from the early 00s. Thats what I like, whats wrong with that?

I've heard No Limit, Cash Money, Death Row, E-40, Too $hort, Young Jeezy, Game, T.I., Ludacris, DJ Khaled, Common, Kanye West, Eminem, Outkast, hell I even remember the 2 Live Crew.

But I've made up my mind what I like.

Whats the problem?

Comments

• banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also a lot of the great producers don't limit themselves to genre when it comes to sampling or being inspired by a beat
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    You missing out on a lot of great music not just hip-hop old school, rock and roll hell every classical

I listen to other forms of music like Jazz, Soul, R&B a little rock but not a lot. I've been listening to a lot of Gospel lately. Never got into Heavy Metal or Punk but I've listened to enough to say that I don't like it.

I thought Trap was cool when it first came out, but lately all of the new beats sound the same. They have the hi hats speed up to 32nds and the deep 808 kick drum. Its gotten old. I mean its really boring when you listen to all these new rappers rap over trap beats. I can't stand it.

Furthermore, I like the way New York rappers annunciate their words. Or they used to. Nowadays New York rappers try to sound like Southern rappers.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is just like not liking food that is different from what you ate your whole life. You like the american staples like pizza, spaghetti, hot dogs, french fries but anything with curry or anything spicy. It is nasty to you. You tell people I dont see how you eat that ? . That is disgusting.

There is nothing wrong with you not liking it but to think there is something wrong with a person that does is the problem. Your opinion is skewed.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    It is just like not liking food that is different from what you ate your whole life. You like the american staples like pizza, spaghetti, hot dogs, french fries but anything with curry or anything spicy. It is nasty to you. You tell people I dont see how you eat that ? . That is disgusting.

There is nothing wrong with you not liking it but to think there is something wrong with a person that does is the problem. Your opinion is skewed.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people that listen to West Coast or Southern Hip Hop, its just not my cup of tea. Like I said there's a few songs I like here and there, but I've seen people on The IC post up songs and videos that are considered "classics" that I've never heard of before it got posted.

Like Project Pat's album thats in The Vault. Apparently people like it. I tried to listen to some of his stuff but I just wasn't feeling it.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? if you don't like then you just don't like it....
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I don't think there is anything wrong with people that listen to West Coast or Southern Hip Hop, its just not my cup of tea. Like I said there's a few songs I like here and there, but I've seen people on The IC post up songs and videos that are considered "classics" that I've never heard of before it got posted.

Like Project Pat's album thats in The Vault. Apparently people like it. I tried to listen to some of his stuff but I just wasn't feeling it.

Not your cup of tea is fine....when the word bias comes in...it would indicate that someone either isn't giving something a chance or dismissing it right from the start

Or you could be bias when you start overrating average ? just because it's from your region
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Being "regionally biased" exposes you for being the closed minded, envious hater that you really are. Anyone who initially dismissed Dre and Snoop or Big Boi and Stacks b/c of where they were from without even listening is a hater and can't tell me ? . You just a mad, jealous, envious ass hater at that point who is more concerned with bringing your brother down than pulling yourself up. I personally cant respect that. East coast dudes in general and NYC cats in particular have a history of hate aka "regional bias". NYC dudes hated the Sugar Hill Gang b/c the first hip hop hit was made by brothers from Jersey instead NYC. How the ? you gone hate the Sugar Hill Gang and Rapper's Delight???? NYC cats justified that ? by claiming they were "regionally biased" but their "region" was NYC. Miss me with that craps in a bucket ? .

You can't deny talent. You can envy it, discredit it or dismiss it but you cant stop it. "Regional bias" is a fancy way of saying youre a hater and the east coast has a well documented, decades long history of hate. Later for the ? and euphemisms. Just call it what it is. "Regional bias" is the Willie Lynch syndrome on wax. Foh with that slave mentality crab ass ? . Im checking for any and everyone as long as they're dope. Idgaf about regional bias as long as you can spit hot ? over banging ass beats. Im not a hater so idgaf where youre from.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't want to derail the other thread, but people were saying, or implying that being regionally biased is a bad thing.

I like East Coast Hip Hop from the 80s and 90s and some stuff from the early 00s. Thats what I like, whats wrong with that?

I've heard No Limit, Cash Money, Death Row, E-40, Too $hort, Young Jeezy, Game, T.I., Ludacris, DJ Khaled, Common, Kanye West, Eminem, Outkast, hell I even remember the 2 Live Crew.

Whats the problem?

You named mainstream rappers from each region… lil bra ya judgement way off… and since when is khaled a rappers ?
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not reading the thread.

Answer is nothing, do you, listen to whatever you want and respect people listening to what they want. The rest of this ? is for the birds.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing at all, people like what they like....But I find it crazy that you dont like at least a few songs from all of the cats that you listed...lol...Common?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Everybody will naturally lean towards music from their area. It's just natural.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »

Not your cup of tea is fine....when the word bias comes in...it would indicate that someone either isn't giving something a chance or dismissing it right from the start

Or you could be bias when you start overrating average ? just because it's from your region

373874d1443643747t-blackberry-takes-shot-apple-priv-website-update-shots-fired.gif

• THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just because you're biased towards your region doesn't mean you dont accept, listen, or like music outside of it but ? is dumb so..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Being "regionally biased" exposes you for being the closed minded, envious hater that you really are. Anyone who initially dismissed Dre and Snoop or Big Boi and Stacks b/c of where they were from without even listening is a hater and can't tell me ? . You just a mad, jealous, envious ass hater at that point who is more concerned with bringing your brother down than pulling yourself up and I personally cant respect that. East coast dudes in general and NYC cats in particular have a history of hate aka "regional bias". NYC dudes hated the Sugar Hill Gang b/c the first hip hop hit was made by brothers from Jersey instead NYC. How the ? you gone hate the Sugar Hill Gang and Rapper's Delight???? NYC cats justified that ? by claiming they were "regionally biased" but their "region" was NYC. Miss me with that craps in a bucket ? .

You can't deny talent. You can envy it, discredit it or dismiss it but you cant stop it. "Regional bias" is a fancy way of saying youre a hater and the east coast has a well documented, decades long history of hate. Later for the ? and euphemisms. Just call it what it is. "Regional bias" is the Willie Lynch syndrome on wax. Foh with that slave mentality crab ass ? . Im checking for any and everyone as long as they're dope. Idgaf about regional bias as long as you can spit hot ? over banging ass beats. Im not a hater so idgaf where youre from.

Actually them ? hated it because Big Bank Hank stole his entire verse from Grand Master Caz
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Being "regionally biased" exposes you for being the closed minded, envious hater that you really are. Anyone who initially dismissed Dre and Snoop or Big Boi and Stacks b/c of where they were from without even listening is a hater and can't tell me ? . You just a mad, jealous, envious ass hater at that point who is more concerned with bringing your brother down than pulling yourself up and I personally cant respect that. East coast dudes in general and NYC cats in particular have a history of hate aka "regional bias". NYC dudes hated the Sugar Hill Gang b/c the first hip hop hit was made by brothers from Jersey instead NYC. How the ? you gone hate the Sugar Hill Gang and Rapper's Delight???? NYC cats justified that ? by claiming they were "regionally biased" but their "region" was NYC. Miss me with that craps in a bucket ? .

Actually them ? hated it because Big Bank Hank stole his entire verse from Grand Master Caz

Hank didn't steal ? . It's obvious as hell that Caz wrote that ? . Hank spells out his damn name in the song. In order for Hank to have stolen that verse he would've had to keep all of the bars and instead of spelling Caz he would've spelled Hank instead. That didn't happen. It's kind of hard to steal something while telling the entire world letter for letter who the words belonged to. Try again.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is not toward you specifically/personally OP. My thought was:

"I don't give a ? what you think"

Meaning why should I care if you prefer to listen to east coast hip hop over west/south/midwest. That's on you and what you get from the music. I can't force you to listen to something I like and nor should I try to impose my personal preferences on you. I prefer Bay Area music then generally west coast and south music. If I'm in the gym getting hyped up for a PR I'm not gonna turn off this Mitchy Slick blasting in my headphones and think "No....maybe I should finally give Joey Badass a chance..."
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options

Whats the problem?

Boom bap azz nicca ...
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not biased the best music just comes from the east plain and simple
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Hank didn't steal ? . It's obvious as hell that Caz wrote that ? . Hank spells out his damn name in the song. In order for Hank to have stolen that verse he would've had to keep all of the bars and instead of spelling Caz he would've spelled Hank instead. That didn't happen. It's kind of hard to steal something while telling the entire world letter for letter who the words belonged to. Try again.

If you take something from someone, and you don't pay for it, that's the definition of stealing
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    I like New York but unlike some places Houston has it's own rap culture

The South has it's own rap culture !!!!!!