"You cannot say Black Lives Matter and then ? yourselves" - Stevie Wonder

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/iYx0g7XvfqE

While addressing the audience at a “Conference On Peace” event Saturday, Wonder highlighted the fatal shooting of Philando Castile at the hands of former officer Jeronimo Yanez, with the latter being found not guilty in the former’s death. Wonder then transitioned into talking about the Black Lives Matter movement and implying that the movement should be focusing on black-on-black violence.

“It is in your hands to stop all of the killing and the shooting wherever it might be,” Wonder said. “Because you cannot say, ‘Black lives matter,’ and then ? yourselves. Because you know we’ve mattered long before it was said, but the way we show that we matter, and the way that we show all the various people of color matter is by loving each other and doing something about it. Not just talking about it.”

The remarks, which were directed at the youth in attendance for the conference focusing on youth gun violence, have received some criticism with some disagreeing with Wonder’s tone of respectability politics. This is a departure from comments the iconic artist made last year at London’s British Summer Time Festival, where he told the crowd of 65,000 people that he does not “give a f**k” if they agree with his support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

“Yes, all life does matter…But the reason that I say black lives matter is because we are the original people of this world,” he said. “So, in essence, everybody in here, really, you got some black in you. You’ve all got some soul in you, so stop denying your culture. And for those of you who don’t agree with me, I love you but I don’t give a f**k. Cut the bulls**t and fix it! We were all made in ? ’s image. When you hate someone, you’re hating that image. If I’m blind and I can see it, you can see it too.”
http://www.okayplayer.com/news/stevie-wonder-black-lives-matter.html

Comments

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And he is correct....violence is gonna happen. We are human. But the issue is the reason(s) for it. When we are just violent towards one another because of a street address or colors or broad (not wife...) or an incident that can easily be settled with dialogue, then yes! He is correct...
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, Stevie's a real one. I was not aware of this.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    caddo man wrote: »
    I dont see what he said that was wrong.

He pretty much saying, Dont scream BLM and then turn around and ? another brother.

I love how they are implying what he said instead of just listening to what he said.

The same people who organize against police brutality arent the same ones committing drive by's.

Is the fact that gang violence and police brutality arent related such a difficult concept to grasp?

Dont complain about philando bc gangs in Chicago.
    This ? here

This concept lost on so many ppl......
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But "thugs" are yelling black lives matter
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    I'll ban any ? hating on Stevie.

me too
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    But if Charles Barkley said same thing...

Barkley basically said all cops are great and blacks are criminals so they're justified in their actions against us. That isn't the same thing..
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Are the ones killing each other the same ones yelling BLM? If so that's news to me...

cacs have turned "Black Lives Matter" into a catch-all for any and all black people they're afraid of, as far as they're concerned, any ? not waving a Confederate Flag in a MAGA hat is "BLM".
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are the ones killing each other the same ones yelling BLM? If so that's news to me...

^
    this

love stevie but can't say I'm not disappointed
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    But if Charles Barkley said same thing...

It would be different cuz he's a shoeshining ? who wants appeal to whites any chance he gets
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The same people who organize against police brutality arent the same ones committing drive by's.

Wait, you all took what he said literally? Wait, were we supposed to take what he said literally? You guys really think Stevie Wonder is saying that BLM people are killing blacks?

I'm going to give Stevie Wonder the benefit of the doubt and say otherwise.

It seems to me that he's merely saying that BLM should expand their scope to actively (as opposed to passively) deal with black-on-black crime as well and with just as much vigor as police-on-black crime, which is, imo, a reasonable yet potentially ignorant (since BLM might very well be addressing black-on-black crime, though I'm not aware of the extent to which it does) gesture.

I thought that was obvious, but I could be wrong.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

Wait, you all took what he said literally? Wait, were we supposed to take what he said literally? You guys really think Stevie Wonder is saying that BLM people are killing blacks?

I'm going to give Stevie Wonder the benefit of the doubt and say otherwise.

It seems to me that he's merely saying that BLM should expand their scope to actively (as opposed to passively) deal with black-on-black crime as well and with just as much vigor as police-on-black crime, which is, imo, a reasonable yet potentially ignorant (since BLM might very well be addressing black-on-black crime, though I'm not aware of the extent to which it does) gesture.

I thought that was obvious, but I could be wrong.

Same discussion we're having in the Cosby thread - passes need to stop being given out. In other words, we should stop giving the benefit of the doubt / "he had good intentions" to people who say ? like this. If what they say is flawed, they need to be corrected.

How much of his audience will walk away with that false logic in their head repeating the same non-progressive ? .... "well Black people are being killed by other Black people, let me not ask for fair treatment."

Guess we should all look in the mirror and say we're killers and ? , and we need to stop gang-banging in Chicago - 'even if you never killed nobody or been to Chicago.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I dont see what he said that was wrong.

He pretty much saying, Dont scream BLM and then turn around and ? another brother.

I love how they are implying what he said instead of just listening to what he said.

Is the fact that gang violence and police brutality arent related such a difficult concept to grasp?

Dont complain about philando bc gangs in Chicago.

You're adding your own perceptions to his statement. He didn't make his comments solely to organizers. It was directed at the community as a whole. He also didn't say anything about not complaining about the outside forces that hurt the community. He only stated that we should also reinforce the BLM mantra by working harder to end the violence within our community.

I get that racists try to use black on black crime to undermine the efforts of groups like BLM, and so it's fair to reject the "what about black on black crime" defense from many people. However, black on black crime is a problem, and you can shoot down everyone who suggests we work on it internally as well.