"You cannot say Black Lives Matter and then ? yourselves" - Stevie Wonder

Options

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Try to tell white people they can't complain about the govt. bc they commit the majority of the mass shootings
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    But if Charles Barkley said same thing...

Yup they moving the goal post
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Nothing he said was wrong.

Dont see why we cant have two completely different conversations addressing two seperate but equally important issues.

Both issues need to be resolved.

Cant blame whitey for all the damn ? moments.

The bold is difficult for many nowadays. That's why you get so many idiots talking about "Don't get distracted", even ? say that ? on here alot, as if you can't pay attention to more than 1 thing at a time
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Same discussion we're having in the Cosby thread - passes need to stop being given out. In other words, we should stop giving the benefit of the doubt / "he had good intentions" to people who say ? like this. If what they say is flawed, they need to be corrected.

I agree, but at the same time, the opposite (automatic assumption of the "worst"), which I believe you've done, should not be done either.
    How much of his audience will walk away with that false logic in their head repeating the same non-progressive ? .... "well Black people are being killed by other Black people, let me not ask for fair treatment."

I agree, but I don't necessarily believe that that is an accurate representation of Stevie Wonder's view.
    Guess we should all look in the mirror and say we're killers and ? , and we need to stop gang-banging in Chicago - 'even if you never killed nobody or been to Chicago.

Heh, now you're just trolling at this point.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's blind but he sees.

Agreed.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stevie just calling it how he see it.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here we ago again with the exaggerations and over simplifications.

I'm going to let this one marinate for few. Only because, it's Stevie and his track record is solid on Black issues.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    All he is saying is people who has self destructive behavior.. You cant be about BLM.. if you devalue yourself.. and your people.. No one should take offense this statement.

Black lives Matter is not conditional
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    All he is saying is people who has self destructive behavior.. You cant be about BLM.. if you devalue yourself.. and your people.. No one should take offense this statement.

I just find it difficult to believe people supporting BLM are engaging in self destructive behavior.

Statements like these no matter the intent aren't well thought out, unnecessary, and add confusion to an already sensitive issue.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many blacks died durin slavery
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

I just find it difficult to believe people supporting BLM are engaging in self destructive behavior.

Statements like these no matter the intent aren't well thought out, unnecessary, and add confusion to an already sensitive issue.

Where is the ? confusion.. there is none there are people who say BLM and dont really live that.. thats a fact that there are people of that roll like that.. that not something you can deny.. hypocrisy exist everywhere. That not casting aspersions everyone and it shouldnt be taken as such..
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The problem is you and others seem to think that only organizers and activists are the only ones that scream BLM. That's not true. In fact, that not being true is the reason BLM gets so much heat. Because people out there rioting will do so with a BLM shirt on even though the official BLM stance is against such violence. Stevie isn't just talking to the BLM organizers. He's talking to the black community. Every one in the Black community (except the bonafide ? ) support the idea that black lives matter, but many of those people who think that way in turns of interactions with agents outside of the community don't necessarily think that way when it comes to interactions between people in the community.

Just look at the IC. Everybody on here has a problem with white on black violence of any kind. However, how many of the same people that cry out against that think fighting is a good way of handling disputes in the hood? The truth is we don't want to see whites beating on blacks under any circumstances, but let's not act like we have the same problem seeing blacks beat on other blacks. If we did WSHH wouldn't exist.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2017
    Options

Where is the ? confusion.. there is none there are people who say BLM and dont really live that.. thats a fact that there are people of that roll like that.. that not something you can deny.. hypocrisy exist everywhere. That not casting aspersions everyone and it shouldnt be taken as such..

I think I explained the confusion quite clearly. And despite hypocrisy existing everywhere, is it enough in regards to supporters of BLM that such statements need to be made? I don't believe there to be. So, I find these types statements completely unnecessary and counterproductive to the objective of orgs like BLM...
  • playmaker88
    Options
    exactly its the larger than life rallying cry not the org he is talking about i said this along time ago.. The term itself is larger than life because the phrases encapsulates the plight
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

The problem is you and others seem to think that only organizers and activists are the only ones that scream BLM. That's not true. In fact, that not being true is the reason BLM gets so much heat. Because people out there rioting will do so with a BLM shirt on even though the official BLM stance is against such violence. Stevie isn't just talking to the BLM organizers. He's talking to the black community. Every one in the Black community (except the bonafide ? ) support the idea that black lives matter, but many of those people who think that way in turns of interactions with agents outside of the community don't necessarily think that way when it comes to interactions between people in the community.

Just look at the IC. Everybody on here has a problem with white on black violence of any kind. However, how many of the same people that cry out against that think fighting is a good way of handling disputes in the hood? The truth is we don't want to see whites beating on blacks under any circumstances, but let's not act like we have the same problem seeing blacks beat on other blacks. If we did WSHH wouldn't exist.

People rioting as a form of frustration, black lash or protest doesn't diminish BLM or supporters of BLM.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear?...It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." -MLK

The only way statements like Stevies makes any sense at all is, if BLM supporters are actively engaging in the killing of other Blacks. If, this what you and others believe then so be it. I don't..

I don't know what planet you hail from but fighting is a way of handling disputes. In fact people do it all over the world and most don't even bat an eye. With that said, fighting isn't the ONLY way to settle disputes. And I would wager that the majority of black people are settling their disputes by other means.. But keep on with stereotypes.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2017
    Options

People rioting as a form of frustration, black lash or protest doesn't diminish BLM or supporters of BLM.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear?...It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." -MLK

The only way statements like Stevies makes any sense at all is, if BLM supporters are actively engaging in the killing of other Blacks. If, this what you and others believe then so be it. I don't..

I don't know what planet you hail from but fighting is a way of handling disputes. In fact people do it all over the world and most don't even bat an eye. With that said, fighting isn't the ONLY way to settle disputes. And I would wager that the majority of black people are settling their disputes by other means.. But keep on with stereotypes.

The bold is objectively wrong. Read his quote. Again, he is not speaking solely to people who are part of whatever loose knit BLM organization exists. He's talking to anyone who supports that sentiment, and yes, there are absolutely people out there that will scream that when going at the cops and then turn around and shoot another black person over some hood beef.

I didn't say fighting isn't a way of handling disputes. Clearly it is. I also didn't say only black people handle disputes that way, so there is no stereotyping. You seem to have a real problem addressing ? that people actually say as opposed to addressing points you make up in your head. I don't know if you're missing the point or dodging it, but you're clearly not addressing what I actually said. I was pointing out that people on here don't have the same problem with that way of handling a dispute when its a white person beating up a black person than when its a black person beating up another black person. What Stevie is trying to get across is analagous to saying that if you have a problem with fighting as a means of settling a dispute, you can't just saying that with regards to white on black fights. You have to be just as strong with that sentiment when it comes to black on black fights. There is nothing wrong with that stance.

Ultimately, Stevie just seems to think that the BLM movement should be just as active in trying to stop black on black violence as they are in trying to stop police misconduct. That may be unreasonable because every group can't stand for everything, but it should be offensive.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2017
    Options

Your point and Stevies is still not only ridiculous but unnecessary. Of course there are people falling short of what they espouse. However, neither you nor Stevie have any information that supports this idea that there is a large enough segment of the Black community that hold the BLM sentiment yet are committing crimes against Blacks. In other words some things just don't need to be said. So, when a person of Stevies stature says such things it certainly gives the impression that there is a problem. I don't believe there is one. You can believe whatever you like.

I addressed your point. You are pulling ? out of thin air to make non-points or to support strawman arguments.
    I didn't even feel the need to address your "EVERYBODY on the IC" garbage because it simply isn't true. I chose to focus on the rest of your comment which was Blacks beating on Blacks which was nothing short of a dig at Blacks.

From what I understand BLM is active in various activities within Black community. However, even if they were not, SO THE ? WHAT? BLM was created with a specific goal which, is to bring awareness to police brutality. There 100's of other Black organizations across the country dedicated to addressing violence within the Black community. But no one cares about those groups because they are to busy ? on BLM because, they are the most visible, only because, they are calling out whites and their 100's of years of violence against Blacks.

Look man, your whole stance is based on the idea that only black people who are killing other black people need to hear what he's saying. Again, that's objectively false. Someone else already pointed out that there are people in the audience that might serve well as teacher, mentors, etc... that are gung ? on fighting the police but never considered how much of a difference they might make by taking on the internal struggle. Someone of Stevie's stature saying that may be the thing that gets them to consider it.

Here goes another person misusing the term strawman. You don't understand that you're the one that's making a strawman argument. You do it again here. The point of my argument was not that blacks beat on blacks. You're basically parsing my argument in a way that ignores all context and meaning, and then arguing against the distortion that you created. THAT IS A STRAWMAN, not whatever the ? you're claiming that I'm doing. If you believe what I said is a dig at blacks then the point I was making is 100 ft over your head and I have no idea how to bring it down to you. And if my "Everybody on the IC" statement is garbage, please name the black poster on here that is cool with seeing white people beat black people.

And I agree with your last paragraph. Again, I don't think Stevie is taking shots at the BLM organization, so white you're 100% correct, it's also 100% irrelevant. Unless of course you believe Stevie was actually criticizing BLM members solely, then we can just agree to disagree.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Your point and Stevies is still not only ridiculous but unnecessary. Of course there are people falling short of what they espouse. However, neither you nor Stevie have any information that supports this idea that there is a large enough segment of the Black community that hold the BLM sentiment yet are committing crimes against Blacks. In other words some things just don't need to be said. So, when a person of Stevies stature says such things it certainly gives the impression that there is a problem. I don't believe there is one. You can believe whatever you like.

I addressed your point. You are pulling ? out of thin air to make non-points or to support strawman arguments.
    I didn't even feel the need to address your "EVERYBODY on the IC" garbage because it simply isn't true. I chose to focus on the rest of your comment which was Blacks beating on Blacks which was nothing short of a dig at Blacks.

From what I understand BLM is active in various activities within Black community. However, even if they were not, SO THE ? WHAT? BLM was created with a specific goal which, is to bring awareness to police brutality. There 100's of other Black organizations across the country dedicated to addressing violence within the Black community. But no one cares about those groups because they are to busy ? on BLM because, they are the most visible, only because, they are calling out whites and their 100's of years of violence against Blacks.

Look man, your whole stance is based on the idea that only black people who are killing other black people need to hear what he's saying. Again, that's objectively false. Someone else already pointed out that there are people in the audience that might serve well as teacher, mentors, etc... that are gung ? on fighting the police but never considered how much of a difference they might make by taking on the internal struggle. Someone of Stevie's stature saying that may be the thing that gets them to consider it.

Here goes another person misusing the term strawman. You don't understand that you're the one that's making a strawman argument. You do it again here. The point of my argument was not that blacks beat on blacks. Most violence is intraracial. If you believe what I said is a dig at blacks then the point I was making is 100 ft over your head and I have no idea how to bring it down to you. And if my "Everybody on the IC" statement is garbage, please name the black poster on here that is cool with seeing white people beat black people.

And I agree with your last paragraph. Again, I don't think Stevie is taking shots at the BLM organization, so white you're 100% correct, it's also 100% irrelevant. Unless of course you believe Stevie was actually criticizing BLM members solely, then we can just agree to disagree.

Sorry dude. I am not buying what you're peddling. I am sticking with my opinion of the overwhelming majority of Black people who support BLM are also aware of our internal struggle and are active in that fight as well. Making what Stevie said, unnecessary, confusing and fodder for ? and supporters of White Supremacy. However, I don't believe Stevie was intentionally trying to harm. His track record is strong.

This was your statement. "Everybody on here has a problem with white on black violence of any kind." I am totally ok with a white person beating the stank off of a black person robbing them or randomly subjecting them to violence.

It's more important just like with Cosby that our elders filter what the hell they are saying in public. There are to many spin masters out here and we have legislation being made or not made based on the divisiveness that exists in statements like Stevies.

• The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2017
    Options

Here goes another person misusing the term strawman. You don't understand that you're the one that's making a strawman argument. You do it again here. The point of my argument was not that blacks beat on blacks. Most violence is intraracial. If you believe what I said is a dig at blacks then the point I was making is 100 ft over your head and I have no idea how to bring it down to you. And if my "Everybody on the IC" statement is garbage, please name the black poster on here that is cool with seeing white people beat black people.

Sorry dude. I am not buying what you're peddling. I am sticking with my opinion of the overwhelming majority of Black people who support BLM are also aware of our internal struggle and are active in that fight as well. Making what Stevie said, unnecessary, confusing and fodder for ? and supporters of White Supremacy. However, I don't believe Stevie was intentionally trying to harm. His track record is strong.

This was your statement. "Everybody on here has a problem with white on black violence of any kind." I am totally ok with a white person beating the stank off of a black person robbing them or randomly subjecting them to violence.

It's more important just like with Cosby that our elders filter what the hell they are saying in public. There are to many spin masters out here and we have legislation being made or not made based on the divisiveness that exists in statements like Stevies.

Fair enough. The phrase "violence of any kind" was too imprecise. And while I see value in Stevie's comments that you don't, I do agree that figures like him have to be careful when they make these comments because of the enemies that will misuse them.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Fair enough. The phrase "violence of any kind" was too imprecise. And while I see value in Stevie's comments that you don't, I do agree that figures like him have to be careful when they make these comments because of the enemies that will misuse them.

I see value in Stevies comments as well. His track record is strong. My concern is the misuse which, seems like in our climate people are more than willing to latch onto for nefarious reasons.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I see value in Stevies comments as well. His track record is strong. My concern is the misuse which, seems like in our climate people are more than willing to latch onto for nefarious reasons.

Yeah, it does put black figures in a ? up "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Aye man anybody coming at Stevie for this deserves a chin check. That man has done more for black people in america across 5 decades than most of us will ever do in our lifetimes.