Options
    It's always stupid no matter who says it
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/iYx0g7XvfqE

While addressing the audience at a “Conference On Peace” event Saturday, Wonder highlighted the fatal shooting of Philando Castile at the hands of former officer Jeronimo Yanez, with the latter being found not guilty in the former’s death. Wonder then transitioned into talking about the Black Lives Matter movement and implying that the movement should be focusing on black-on-black violence.

“It is in your hands to stop all of the killing and the shooting wherever it might be,” Wonder said. “Because you cannot say, ‘Black lives matter,’ and then ? yourselves. Because you know we’ve mattered long before it was said, but the way we show that we matter, and the way that we show all the various people of color matter is by loving each other and doing something about it. Not just talking about it.”

The remarks, which were directed at the youth in attendance for the conference focusing on youth gun violence, have received some criticism with some disagreeing with Wonder’s tone of respectability politics. This is a departure from comments the iconic artist made last year at London’s British Summer Time Festival, where he told the crowd of 65,000 people that he does not “give a f**k” if they agree with his support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

“Yes, all life does matter…But the reason that I say black lives matter is because we are the original people of this world,” he said. “So, in essence, everybody in here, really, you got some black in you. You’ve all got some soul in you, so stop denying your culture. And for those of you who don’t agree with me, I love you but I don’t give a f**k. Cut the bulls**t and fix it! We were all made in ? ’s image. When you hate someone, you’re hating that image. If I’m blind and I can see it, you can see it too.”
    http://www.okayplayer.com/news/stevie-wonder-black-lives-matter.html

That second bolded part is pretty awesome and about time someone said it. People racist toward black people when they come from black people. Thats the same racist "whites" and everybody else regardless of "race" so that point is very important and informative. The only issue i would kind of have with the first bolded statement is, well I really dont have much of an issue at all but if anything its maybe the fact that the people saying Black lives matter isnt necessarily the ones killing senselessly in the first place. And there are the ones who already been known what he's saying.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same ? I've been saying. FOH with that BLM ? when a brother can't even walk his own hood due to the threat of direct or indirect violence.
  • twenty2
    twenty2 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options
    Sooo... We gotta tip-toe around and sugar-coat what we really wanna say to OUR people because some "OTHER" people might misconstrue it and run with it?

What happened to not givin a flyin ? WHAT white people think and tellin honkeys to mind they ? business and get the ? on when speakin on ? they don't know about? Ultimately this ? ain't MEANT for you! I'm talkin to and 'bout me and mines!

It's no different than having to reprimand or scold your child in public, all while some on-looker feels you're being "too harsh" and THEN having the audacity to pull you aside and TELL you "You shouldn't speak to your child like that." You gon' tell that muthafucka to kick rocks and don't worry 'bout what the ? 's goins ons over here!

If some feel things can be "worded differently" by these elder statesmen...fine... That's one thing. But if the reasoning is... "Because.....white people..." ...Nah... ? that...and in that vein and essence...? white people...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    rickmogul wrote: »
    Same ? I've been saying. FOH with that BLM ? when a brother can't even walk his own hood due to the threat of direct or indirect violence.

You'd be surprised how many people feel that way. W. Kamau Bell has a show on CNN. They did an episode in Chicago. Bell was with one of the BLM members in one of the bad neighborhoods. While they were there the BLM guy pulled out his camera and started recording. One of the locals basically started fussing at them, and Bell went over and talked to him. Basically the dude was like he didn't want the BLM guy harrassing the cops because they were actually doing their job correctly in that instance. He also pointed out that they didn't have a problem with cops, understood the cops were necessary, and wanted them around at time. They just didn't want any of the extra ? that comes with dealing with the cops sometimes. And this wasn't some old guys rattling his cane and the wild youngn's. It was a younger dude that looked like he probably had some run-ins with the cops himself in recent times.
    twenty2 wrote: »
    Sooo... We gotta tip-toe around and sugar-coat what we really wanna say to OUR people because some "OTHER" people might misconstrue it and run with it?

What happened to not givin a flyin ? WHAT white people think and tellin honkeys to mind they ? business and get the ? on when speakin on ? they don't know about? Ultimately this ? ain't MEANT for you! I'm talkin to and 'bout me and mines!

It's no different than having to reprimand or scold your child in public, all while some on-looker feels you're being "too harsh" and THEN having the audacity to pull you aside and TELL you "You shouldn't speak to your child like that." You gon' tell that muthafucka to kick rocks and don't worry 'bout what the ? 's goins ons over here!

If some feel things can be "worded differently" by these elder statesmen...fine... That's one thing. But if the reasoning is... "Because.....white people..." ...Nah... ? that...and in that vein and essence...? white people...

I get what you're saying. I myself have pointed out how you'll hear a lot of people like "I don't give a ? what these CaCs think" and then as soon as a CaC says some CaC ? , they are the first ones whining about what was said. That said, there is a difference between caring what white people think and understanding that, in order to force policy changes in our favor, we have to be able to control the narrative. If we're saying a bunch of things that allow outside agents to undermine our message, it will make it more difficult for us to accomplish change on a systematic level.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not sure why yall mentioning what Cacs think but you don't even have to go that far to see the problem with what he's saying. Just alone saying to Black people who are not killing people that "you can't say Black Lives Matter and ? yourselves" is a problem.

Nobody said "burn Stevie at the stake" for this but you don't have to agree with everything that comes out a MF mouth just because he sung My Cherie Amour (exaggeration).
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    imo... I feel like Stevie is growing the meaning of "Black Lives Matter".

The general meaning sprung up as a result to Rogue Cops killing brothers & Sisters on the street in broad daylight.

I don't think Stevie is dismissing the issue of black-lives-matter in response to Rogue cops who commit government sanctioned killings on innocent black lives.

I think Stevie is just saying that you also need to Yell Black-Lives-Matter in your Communities, Your Homes, Your schools, to yourself, ect. Its kinda like when Charlamagne talks about, what a Privilege it is to be black ...

Black-Lives-Matter should not just be reserved for usage when Cops ? innocent Brothers/Sisters.
    We need every black person to realize that their life means something... because if your life means nothing to you then like Stevie says....(paraphrasing) "You're killing yourself."

Atleast that's how I took it.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey can someone unconfuse me? If the BLM movement started because blacks were being abused by the police, and the police weren't being prosecuted, which led to protests, etc.....

How is black on black crime even in the same conversation? Considering the prison population, black on black crime, seems to be met with swift "justice" so who am I to protest? and when has any community been crime free?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Black lives matter isn't about the death of the black man, Black lives matter is about the death of the black man at the hands of police.

It's the extreme of, I'll beat my brother's ass but ? you better not touch him.

I'm not saying us killing eachother is ok, but the environments that produce those killers has less to do with us than the targets they put on our back, and if a ? fix his mouth to say we ask for those targets, we didn't build housing projects to house ourselves. Nor did we set policies to take the fathers out of the home that allow these young ? to go wild.

I'm not saying blame the white man all around, but those post slavery actions, policies, redlining, Jim Crow, drug war and the like set us up for failure for generations, add that to their natural vitriol toward us at dangerously high levels in corporations and government, what do you have?

A country fishing for our failure with a big ass net, many will get out, but if you think you not gon snare nothin, you got your head in the clouds.

You also have Stevie wonder addressing the checkmate without addressing the ? sacrifice, and the Knight fork that took your queen 4 moves ago. He's failing to see the big picture. But old heads get those passes where I'm from. So.... Fair.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Black lives matter isn't about the death of the black man, Black lives matter is about the death of the black man at the hands of police.

It's the extreme of, I'll beat my brother's ass but ? you better not touch him.

I'm not saying us killing eachother is ok, but the environments that produce those killers has less to do with us than the targets they put on our back, and if a ? fix his mouth to say we ask for those targets, we didn't build housing projects to house ourselves. Nor did we set policies to take the fathers out of the home that allow these young ? to go wild.

I'm not saying blame the white man all around, but those post slavery actions, policies, redlining, Jim Crow, drug war and the like set us up for failure for generations, add that to their natural vitriol toward us at dangerously high levels in corporations and government, what do you have?

You have Stevie wonder addressing the checkmate without addressing the ? sacrifice, and the Knight fork that took your queen 4 moves ago. He's failing to see the big picture. But old heads get those passes where I'm from. So.... Fair.

We've had discussions about the issues in impoverished communities for decades. It's separate topics of discussion in play. It's either about the things in place that cause said violence and the solutions to fixing the problems, or about trying to restore community pride, in the old days despite being poor there wasn't crime on this level they used to look out for their own.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    optimistic wrote: »
    Hey can someone unconfuse me? If the BLM movement started because blacks were being abused by the police, and the police weren't being prosecuted, which led to protests, etc.....

How is black on black crime even in the same conversation? Considering the prison population, black on black crime, seems to be met with swift "justice" so who am I to protest? and when has any community been crime free?

It's not. Stevie was making the suggestion that a movement titled Black Lives Matter should address more than just police brutality.
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is saying don't speak about it be about it. Actions speak louder than words
  • optimistic
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »

What action would that be? Is me being a black man, and not committing crimes against other blacks enough?
  • dnyce215
    Options

What action would that be? Is me being a black man, and not committing crimes against other blacks enough?

Yes, the actions I would like to see is when everyone looks out for each other and take care of our community and children. Not just look out for self.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm seeing black ppl hate being called out on our ? by other black ppl.

? is crazy.
  • optimistic
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

? is crazy.

I'm seeing black people accept the narrative of black on black crime, without questioning why no other group of people have their crimes so readily documented
  • optimistic
    edited June 2017
    Options

Yes, the actions I would like to see is when everyone looks out for each other and take care of our community and children. Not just look out for self.

I'm really confused now. Most of the people I know do this exact thing. I don't know where there are communities of lawless people going around harming one another and also being protected by the same community..........
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

? is crazy.

Because no one wants to be beat over the head with ? they are well aware about already. No ? Sherlock black on black crime is a problem, no ? Sherlock black people need to be accountable for their problems in life and do stuff to change their situation.
  • dnyce215
    Options

I'm really confused now. Most of the people I know do this exact thing. I don't know where there are communities of lawless people going around harming one another and also being protected by the same community..........

Bruh I'm thinking the same thing, they want to create any narrative for African Americans as being unruly savages
  • 7figz
    edited June 2017
    Options

? is crazy.

If that's what you take away from this then you must feel that cops are justified in killing innocent Black people.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

? is crazy.

If that's what you take away from this then you must feel that cops are justified in killing innocent Black people.

These mental gymnastics will take you to the Olympics
  • 7figz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

? is crazy.

These mental gymnastics will take you to the Olympics

I mean if the response to a Black person asking not to be killed by police is 'Black ppl hate being called out on our ? " then it sounds like your saying it's Black people's fault they are being killed by cops.

It's not even about self-criticism, it's about the topic at hand. MFs falling for that "look, a shiny object !" ? .
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole "black lives matter" ? was trash from the jump. I called that ? and years later all it's done is distract from real issues, initiated no policies, and made every race conversation about that stupid phrase. Everything Stevie said was truth. We ? each other are a ridiculous rate. We don't support our own business. We tear down each other while giving other groups a pass.
  • 7figz
    edited June 2017
    Options

? is crazy.
    ^

Classic example of the ? negative blanket statements about Black people and the sheep who co-sign it.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options