Vic Mensa debut album "The Autobiography" (7.28)

Options

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I still think Vic Mensa is lazy and mad reckless. Jay-Z and Kanye West.... What more can I say ? Look how Drake milked Lil Wayne or Big Sean/Kanye, Kendrick/Dre. Vic waited like 6 years to drop a debut album and lyrically he's never really impressed me.

Seems to me like this guy gets high on coke and then goes on rants whining. You'll have to pardon me I just hate artists who ? away ? like this then have the audacity to go at the guy with NONE of those things (Chance) when he should be looking in the mirror.

But did peep the intro posted
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    I still think Vic Mensa is lazy and mad reckless. Jay-Z and Kanye West.... What more can I say ? Look how Drake milked Lil Wayne or Big Sean/Kanye, Kendrick/Dre. Vic waited like 6 years to drop a debut album and lyrically he's never really impressed me.

Seems to me like this guy gets high on coke and then goes on rants whining. You'll have to pardon me I just hate artists who ? away ? like this then have the audacity to go at the guy with NONE of those things (Chance) when he should be looking in the mirror.

But did you peep the intro posted

Honestly say he wasn't spittin
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just pressed play and got to 3 mins of the intro before I wheeled up dat bludclart and went again.

? didn't lie...lol
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Just pressed play and got to 3 mins of the intro before I wheeled up dat bludclart and went again.

? didn't lie...lol

Not sure what that means but i think u like it
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? , shut up and listen to the damn album. Smh. G.damn. All them extra words an ? . You been criticizing everything bout the ? except the music for years.

Wale squanders opportunities every time he puts out one of them wack ass albums. Big Sean just squandered an opportunity with a mediocre ass album. So has Lupe, Budden, Mos Def and many other good rappers with loads of talent.

You need to separate all that other ? you talkin bout and listen to the music. It's called "being objective." Smh.

• TheGOAT
    Options
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? wit down wit some ignorance.I wanna hop in the whip go to the southside and run over some ? right now

? these chicago ?
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 5 album this year
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad to see Vic finally getting his props. kid is extremely talented. I'll check this out later.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gave it a listen today after hearing Charlemagne mention it this morning.

This ? is dope! I looked at dude's pic like "nah", but still listened and glad I did. I thought by the looks of him he was going to be on some emo ? .
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
  • Like Water
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

? , shut up and listen to the damn album. Smh. G.damn. All them extra words an ? . You been criticizing everything bout the ? except the music for years.

Wale squanders opportunities every time he puts out one of them wack ass albums. Big Sean just squandered an opportunity with a mediocre ass album. So has Lupe, Budden, Mos Def and many other good rappers with loads of talent.

You need to separate all that other ? you talkin bout and listen to the music. It's called "being objective." Smh.

I listened to the album it's alright but y'all are easily wooed. Seems like the bar is lower these days. Look fam everyone has their own tastes. I think Lupe is corny af but yes a lyrical Messiah nonetheless. Vic I don't see it, lyrically, musically or with his persona. Wale is trash LOLOLOL

I feel like music being objective is an oxymoron tho because it's subjective in nature. You either feeling it or you ain't. I'm just not feeling Vic Mensa music. Tyler The Creator on the other hand I think is mad dope and hugely talented. He just needs better artist development tho.

If Lupe is the bar I've set for lyrical dexterity, then how the hell am I easily wooed?

I think Tyler is dope as well, but he's no lyricist. Wale has put out wack albums, but he's capable of lyricism beyond at least 90% of the game, which is why people get more upset when he drops trash.

If you don't like it, then you don't like it, and that's fine. But all that other ? you talkin was just a bunch of fluff and a way to disguise the fact that you don't like Vic for personal reasons, thus rendering you incapable of objectivity in this instance.

You're better than that, Sion.
  • Like Water
    Options
    Ok. But you and I know...
    I do dislike when artists don't utilise their advantages

...this is what it's all about.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? meh af. Had he stuck to simply rapping and letting others handle the hook quite a few songs could have turned out better

Can def hear the style/rhymes he gave Ye. His execution is poor tho. My advice, go back to writing behind the scenes

Best song is ?
  • Nechesh358
    Nechesh358 Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Options
    The album is cool but not on the level of Innanetape. That ? stays in heavy rotation.
  • TheGOAT
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My criticism would be how he followed up Homewrecker with Gorgeous.

Homewrecker is a real good storytelling track about gettin caught with your side piece.

Gorgeous is another song about his chick & his sidepiece but more of a pop song approach.

Didnt need to dedicate 2 songs to the same ? .

Coffee & Cigarettes was boring

Down for Some Ignorance just wasnt good for me

Not big on Rollin like a Stoner either

Fav songs are:
    -Didnt I
    -Wings
    -We Could Be Free
    -Rage
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Yo this Innanettape is dope

Him & Chance had a very similar style back then
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'll check him out. That one track someone posted sounded good. Sound like a mix of Cole and Drake with that Kanye soul from the past. Good soulful production is always a smooth listen. May be hope for a new generation of Rap at least for some artists. No mumble mush mouf rappers. That Say I Didn't is some Blueprint ? .
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album was dope to me.
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Vic had great production on the album....idk I been listening a few tracks over felt like the album is missing something....feel like he doesnt command your attention or he doesnt have enough charisma imo to hold his own on a album....the album was decent overall fav tracks Wings, Gorgeous, Say I didnt, Homewrecker and ? ....I see room for more growth tho he aint wack
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jdilla26 wrote: »
    Vic had great production on the album....idk I been listening a few tracks over felt like the album is missing something....feel like he doesnt command your attention or he doesnt have enough charisma imo to hold his own on a album....the album was decent overall fav tracks Wings, Gorgeous, Say I didnt, Homewrecker and ? ....I see room for more growth tho he aint wack

This shows you how not every one can be an MC.
  • d1al_t0ne
    d1al_t0ne Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
    Listened this album just because it kept coming up in my new music feed. ? was actually dope.. first time checking out anything from dude and it was worth it. Def will be replayed... the production is tight AF.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First time i ever heard this kid rap, this a dope album in my opinion... And I'm an old head

I'm now a fan