Mental Health Thread: What's your take on Therapy and the whole psychosocial industry?

Options
13»

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    mohamed wrote: »
    I work in the field. Mental health therapist. Growing up I didn't believe a lot of that stuff but working with that population u see it's real. Also weed triggers a lot of ?

What do you mean? I thought it's suppose to chill people out?

homie il break it down. Alcohol is a depressant so it triggers a lot of suicidal bx in folk.... weed on the other end triggers paranoia... I remember growing up my homies would be high taking bout they see ? otherwords... they trippin... if ur family have a history of schizophrenia marijuana use can trigger it in u if its dormant.... ie all the stories of folk who were smart normal folk who went off to college and smoked some "bad" weed.... now they walking the street talking to themselves all crazy. add in folk self medicate to help themdeal with mental health issues.... I worked on an Act team for a min and all fo the bi polar and schizophrenics were crackheads and weed heads.

This is why the .medical marijuana industry is so important because certain strains are more likely to trigger certain reactions and if you don't know what you're smoking then you can end up with a bad high...because there's also folks who use weed as self medication to calm down those thoughts
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    i believe in therapy. when my mom passed in 08 a ? almost went crazy. I was drinking heavy and self medicating with ? . i started to distance myself from my wife and i didn't want my kids to see how bad it had gotten for me. I would be so ? and so high i would sleep in my car. my wife begged me to go to therapy. i refused like nah im not a weak ? . she basically told me that if i didn't go she would leave me.

my first therapist was wack as hell. i didn't like the ? at all. i searched for another and came across this dude on a therapist website. i went in to his office and we began to talk. we did weekly visits at first. the more i went the more i felt comfortable talking to dude. my mom died sept. 8, 2008. he helped me deal with my mom's passing and without me taking that step to call his office I probably wouldn't be here today.

this year my pops passed on may 2. I could see his decline starting in January of this year. we talked about it and how i would feel. when my dad died i was right there by his side. i didn't run to alcohol or drugs. i was better prepared and handled his passing a whole lot better. it hurt just the same but therapy help me deal with my grief as well as a bunch of inner demons i have based on the life i lived as a youngster.

im almost 9 years in with this therapy ? . i suggest everyone go because your mental health is no joke.

good stuff.. I think the stigma of therapy turn folk off along with the phamaceutical companies being in cahoots with the psychiatrists in trying to force meds on folk. I think thebiggest help tho is having someone u cn trust who wont judge u to talk thru and help urget thru those tough times.

Its the stigma of admitting you need help, which poor folks already have an issue with admitting their weaknesses, combined with what you daid earlier about people not being completely honest about what is actually going on in their mind.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    mohamed wrote: »
    I work in the field. Mental health therapist. Growing up I didn't believe a lot of that stuff but working with that population u see it's real. Also weed triggers a lot of ?

What do you mean? I thought it's suppose to chill people out?

homie il break it down. Alcohol is a depressant so it triggers a lot of suicidal bx in folk.... weed on the other end triggers paranoia... I remember growing up my homies would be high taking bout they see ? otherwords... they trippin... if ur family have a history of schizophrenia marijuana use can trigger it in u if its dormant.... ie all the stories of folk who were smart normal folk who went off to college and smoked some "bad" weed.... now they walking the street talking to themselves all crazy. add in folk self medicate to help themdeal with mental health issues.... I worked on an Act team for a min and all fo the bi polar and schizophrenics were crackheads and weed heads.

This is why the .medical marijuana industry is so important because certain strains are more likely to trigger certain reactions and if you don't know what you're smoking then you can end up with a bad high...because there's also folks who use weed as self medication to calm down those thoughts

A lot of the weed to day different.. 2 and mixed with ?
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? therapy. The biggest hustle going.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    @LordZuko come bless us with how this is how ? get money an set men up

Marriage counseling ?

Make sure to ask the marriage counseling if they are actually married.

Check out this story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-doyle/marriage-counseling_b_1933187.html
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i believe in therapy. when my mom passed in 08 a ? almost went crazy. I was drinking heavy and self medicating with ? . i started to distance myself from my wife and i didn't want my kids to see how bad it had gotten for me. I would be so ? and so high i would sleep in my car. my wife begged me to go to therapy. i refused like nah im not a weak ? . she basically told me that if i didn't go she would leave me.

my first therapist was wack as hell. i didn't like the ? at all. i searched for another and came across this dude on a therapist website. i went in to his office and we began to talk. we did weekly visits at first. the more i went the more i felt comfortable talking to dude. my mom died sept. 8, 2008. he helped me deal with my mom's passing and without me taking that step to call his office I probably wouldn't be here today.

this year my pops passed on may 2. I could see his decline starting in January of this year. we talked about it and how i would feel. when my dad died i was right there by his side. i didn't run to alcohol or drugs. i was better prepared and handled his passing a whole lot better. it hurt just the same but therapy help me deal with my grief as well as a bunch of inner demons i have based on the life i lived as a youngster.

im almost 9 years in with this therapy ? . i suggest everyone go because your mental health is no joke.

good stuff.. I think the stigma of therapy turn folk off along with the phamaceutical companies being in cahoots with the psychiatrists in trying to force meds on folk. I think thebiggest help tho is having someone u cn trust who wont judge u to talk thru and help urget thru those tough times.

i went to therapy for 4 years before i ever said anything to anyone other than my wife. I told my mom's sister one day at her kitchen table on the anniversary of my mom's passing. she said baby how are u doing? i told her my struggle and that i had been going to therapy and she said wow is that why u stopped coming around? i said yeah i didnt want anyone to see me differently. after that i started to talk about it with family and friends. a few laughed at me and said i was throwing my cash away but more asked me how do they find a good therapist.

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I don't think that ? works - for me anyway.

Talk to a MF for an hour a week, and one day you're supposed to break down in tears and have some breakthrough ?

Pay a MF to keep writin ? , looking at the time, while momentarily asking you "and why do you think that is ?" and "how did that make you feel ?"

Nah I'm cool.

I've been wondering about hypnosis too - that ? seems fake as hell.

Yeah if that's your idea of what happens you've seen way too many movies. That's not even close

Nah, I've been to them and that has never happened - that's my point. I don't see much happening at all, contrary to how effective they make it seem.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my advice to anyone looking for a therapist. shop around. if u not feeling their vibe then dont be afraid to say nah this is not the one for me. that ? is like a relationship. u need to be happy with them. question them about their life experience and educational background.

know the difference between a therapist and a psychiatrist. do u want a dr. that can/will prescribe drugs? or do u want someone just to talk too and help u that way?

if u dont want folks to know that is cool. u going for urself not for them. u dont have to let anyone know. get u a therapist that lives outside of ur city. ask them about weekend mornings or late evening hours. u can even do phone and video sessions. i have done it while traveling for work.

if u do solo therapy and couples therapy get two different therapist. do not use the same for both.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    I've got a lot of demons, and I found out my insurance will cover part of therapy / psychiatry. I have a lot of demons fighting me on substance issues and other stuff and really wanna find some way to use my insurance to pay for a portion of the help I seek.

But I also know a lot of therapy is a crock of ? .

What's your guys' take on this stuff? Does it work? Am i better off going to a less educated counselour for similar services? Could I just improve myself as well w mee mediation?

Glad you're seeking help. You is crazy. Just kidding man. It takes a lot to be humble enough to seek help. Hope the best for you Lucien. As for me I pray and read the bible and it helps sometimes. I've also considered heavily seeing a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist. Many emotional problems are just chemical imbalances, but many chemical imbalances are brought on by emotional stress. Either way, there some things I need to talk about to someone other than my GF or close friends and I don't want nobody knowing my private soul thoughts like that except someone paid to keep their mouth shut and be forced to hear me get ? off my chest.
    Other reason is I know my mind isn't as healthy/sharp as it was when I was in HS and before. I never saw that coming, that in my 20s and 30s my mind would get foggy and not so sharp. There's a lot of reasons for my mind not being the same, but I'll leave that alone. No matter the cause the result is what I've got and constantly I want to get back to that quick, sharp, open part of me that's hard to explain that my mind used to have. Many times I feel like I'm not me and just possessing my own body telling me what to do by routine and missing that element of alertness or humanity of actually feeling connected with my surroundings that I used to be well aware of and therefore am also aware of its absence now.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U'll find out quick fast how ? up and ? over women have been done and the damage it's caused. Told some young Gz don't sweat the new Installment of IG females. Here's Y. The exterior can change over night. Under the knife, diet etc. Self esteem tho? ? can take a lifetime to get that up when u we're the fat girl all ya life and now a dime in ya 30's. This is where therapy comes in. U can destroy a person who's not mentally sound 2 defend or critically think for themselves. I felt bad but smashed her despondent ass lol. I'm a tough one mentally and her ass came up outta that she'll too. So it does help for some. I just can't see chopping it up with a female psych on her phone buying a Balenciaga bag or a white dude just listening and lying. I tough it out.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Learn to meditate and become your own therapist

No one knows you like you, you just cant be afraid to seek out your truth and own it.

Going to the therapist is paying someone to be your friend for an hour.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great thread people

This is probably the most quintessential Grown and Sexy thread on the forum.
    A lot of good drops in here.

I myself have done couples therapy, but Im in the process of finding a personal
    psychologist for my own well being. Thats seeming to be the hardest part because
    I take mental health serious and I don't want somebody jerking me.

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont know

ask a therapist...
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not a fan of the ? . I've seen enough of them and passed enough psych evals to know the ? is garbage. He's the gist of it for free. Any changes or improvements to your life is going to be because you were strong enough to make them and sane enough to know that if you keep doing the same things over and over again, you'll get the same result so try something different.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it's helpful. I mean, it is or can be helpful, obviously. Even just talking to a friend. Generally speaking, men neither naturally tend to nor want to to "talk things out," and even though I think that's not necessarily a bad thing, it never hurts to be open-minded and seek alternative solutions to problems. But that stigma (whether it's therapy is feminine or only for psychos or only for whites or only for weaklings) is a ? .

I am, however, very much opposed to over-medication and excessive reliance on medicine. I always think that the more natural, the better. Sometimes, just good diet and exercise can take you further than you think. But some people really do need the medication, so I think I understand to an extent.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggest scam of modern history to push prescription drugs.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I think it's helpful. I mean, it is or can be helpful, obviously. Even just talking to a friend. Generally speaking, men neither naturally tend to nor want to to "talk things out," and even though I think that's not necessarily a bad thing, it never hurts to be open-minded and seek alternative solutions to problems. But that stigma (whether it's therapy is feminine or only for psychos or only for whites or only for weaklings) is a ? .

I am, however, very much opposed to over-medication and excessive reliance on medicine. I always think that the more natural, the better. Sometimes, just good diet and exercise can take you further than you think. But some people really do need the medication, so I think I understand to an extent.

I agree with the criticisms of medicine. That's why I'm leaning towards therapy as it will give me real tools to manage my issues and the ability to see things in ways that will enable me to produce better solutions and an overall happier, more meaningful life.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Plutarch wrote: »

I agree with the criticisms of medicine. That's why I'm leaning towards therapy as it will give me real tools to manage my issues and the ability to see things in ways that will enable me to produce better solutions and an overall happier, more meaningful life.

And that, my friends, is what we all should generally strive for. Best of luck to you, sir.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Talk to a MF for an hour a week, and one day you're supposed to break down in tears and have some breakthrough ?

Pay a MF to keep writin ? , looking at the time, while momentarily asking you "and why do you think that is ?" and "how did that make you feel ?"

Nah I'm cool.

Nobody should be asking you how something "made you feel." Any therapist who asks that needs more tools in their tool-box. Questioning in general if unprompted or without the context of a clear material goal puts you at odds with clients.

I think a whole lot of people share your sentiments about therapy, in particular, what you said about a "breakthrough." There is Hollywood/societal pressure to achieve catharsis and it's offputting. However, it's not a prerequisite for therapy. Need to dispel that myth because it keeps people away, makes people feel ashamed if there is no "breakthrough," or leads to superficial "breakthroughs" because people need affirmation.

@LUCIEN , you're an MSW right? In therapy, in life, or whatever, approach yourself with the same kindness and acceptance you were trained to offer the people you serve.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »

Nah I'm cool.

Nobody should be asking you how something "made you feel." Any therapist who asks that needs more tools in their tool-box. Questioning in general if unprompted or without the context of a clear material goal puts you at odds with clients.

I think a whole lot of people share your sentiments about therapy, in particular, what you said about a "breakthrough." There is Hollywood/societal pressure to achieve catharsis and it's offputting. However, it's not a prerequisite for therapy. Need to dispel that myth because it keeps people away, makes people feel ashamed if there is no "breakthrough," or leads to superficial "breakthroughs" because people need affirmation.

@LUCIEN , you're an MSW right? In therapy, in life, or whatever, approach yourself with the same kindness and acceptance you were trained to offer the people you serve.

No I'm not an MSW. I only know preliminary stuff about social work that I learned through other stuff in crim and sociology.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggest scam of modern history to push prescription drugs.

People are so quick to believe whatever their government and it's henchmen tell them is good for them.

Don't forget that heroin, ? , and ? were all once prescribed by physicians.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I work in the field as well. I research and treat (mainly) depression. I've suffered from it myself for a while, so the importance is using the skills you would teach to clients or patients in order to be an effective therapist (e.g., relapse prevention strategies).

Glad to see a discussion about various barriers to treatment in this thread as well -- "praying away" mental illness, confidentiality, etc. Also understand that while mental illness is often viewed within a medical model, it is not necessarily the same thing, you know? For example, with cancer, we can see in great detail how cancer begins to develop within a cell. Does something like depression "exist" inside of us the same way? Likely not, but we know complications of depression very well -- burden of disease, biggest reason for missed work days, so on and so on.