Happy 14th Birthday "Life After Death", does this album ever get old????

Options

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    What wack songs were on Harlem World???

jealous guys
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    jealous guys

That's one song you can name but it wasn't even wack.. ? was funnier than any of Big's wack filler songs that were serious.

B.I.G. bit that "Playa Hater" ? from The Luniz doggy. Get the ? outta here. LAD ain't a real classic.
  • 5th Letter
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That's one song you can name but it wasn't even wack.. ? was funnier than any of Big's wack filler songs that were serious.

B.I.G. bit that "Playa Hater" ? from The Luniz doggy. Get the ? outta here. LAD ain't a real classic.

what songs are filler?
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I Got A Story To Tell, Another, Playa Hater, Going Back to Cali, Nasty Boy, The World Is Filled..... that's 6 songs dude. Too much.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    you realize that you are in the minority on this one right?

Don't care the story was wack... Slick Rick and Nas storytelling >>>

Blaze a 50 >>>>
  • 5th Letter
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I Got A Story To Tell, Another, Playa Hater, Going Back to Cali, Nasty Boy, The World Is Filled..... that's 6 songs dude. Too much.

i can understand playa hater because it was a joke type of record but as for the rest you're tripping.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    i can understand playa hater because it was a joke type of record but as for the rest you're tripping.

So is Nasty Boy better than any songs on Harlem World?????
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    puffy/mase made LAD hot. his coonery and busta rhymes video jacking gave LAD that commercial appeal. also you cant count out mase humorous/coloful type swag that made bad boy "fun" despite biggie death. nobody can quote biggie verse on mo money but all you gotta say is "Now, Who's Hot Who's Not" in any urban enviroment and i betcha a ? will quote mase verse word for word. that was what really was goin down in 97. i dont remember LAD hype but I remember uber hype for the Wu album. ? wasnt bumpin LAD they were bumpin Harlem World
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Come on doggy. Yall gon act like LAD is better than Purple Haze or Come Home With Me but its not true b. That ? is an average NY album for the prime of the east coast.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

Yeah. Only classic hip hop song on HW is 24 Hours to Live.

LAD had a couple wack songs out of 24 tracks and 2 discs. Harlem World had 4 good songs outta 11 or 12 tracks.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Come on doggy. Yall gon act like LAD is better than Purple Haze or Come Home With Me but its not true b. That ? is an average NY album for the prime of the east coast.

Purple Haze and Come Home with Me have a lot of entertainment value. Neither one is classic or better than 4/5.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    All I heard yall name was one wack song on Harlem World. I named 6 on LAD. Have yall even listened to Mase's album?? Just because its Biggie yall wanna give him that popular consensus ? .
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    likewise u are wack the poster on here street monsta 1-0
    Your one of the wackest posters in the Reason.

1-1
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    juelz21 wrote: »
    likewise u are wack the poster on here street monsta 1-0

You ass at typing and using your brain, throw away the keyboard and go back to school my nigg..
  • 5th Letter
    edited March 2011
    Options

its better than jealous guys

i'm not saying harlem world is wack but it aint seeing lad.
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    AuraRaps wrote: »
    You ass at typing and using your brain, throw away the keyboard and go back to school my nigg..

eat a dikk u flaming homosexual
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    puffy/mase made LAD hot. his coonery and busta rhymes video jacking gave LAD that commercial appeal. also you cant count out mase humorous/coloful type swag that made bad boy "fun" despite biggie death. nobody can quote biggie verse on mo money but all you gotta say is "Now, Who's Hot Who's Not" in any urban enviroment and i betcha a ? will quote mase verse word for word. that was what really was goin down in 97. i dont remember LAD hype but I remember uber hype for the Wu album. ? wasnt bumpin LAD they were bumpin Harlem World

Do you love just making ish up? I posted a video where 60,000 people were rappin Biggie's verse word for word yet to you "Nobody can quote Biggie's verse", LOL. Also LOL @ "Harlem World" seeing "LAD":

LAD Disc 1 > Harlem World
    LAD Disc 2 > Harlem World

If you don't remember LAD and how it blew the game wide open in 97 than you must of been too young or were not paying attention. Also LOL @ "I Got A Story To Tell or Going Back To Cali" being Filler when both of those are considered Classic Songs. I'm still laughing at duke that said Camron's album were seeing "LAD". Some of you guys have no concept of this iconic LP. LAD is a MILESTONE in Hip Hop. That means it changed the game.
  • KidLife10200
    KidLife10200 Members Posts: 1,075
    edited March 2011
    Options
    SMH @ the ? with the Don Killuminati avvy being juelz.

I ain't even realize it lol.
  • Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Life After Death Sucks
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Get this through ya skull Rapmastermind.. B.I.G. has one classic called Ready to Die.. LAD has filler joints. They're not that hard. Story to Tell is garbage compared to real story telling tracks like Blaze a 50... Big bit The Luniz with the "Playa Hater" song.. I know you don't know about west coast music but go back through the files and listen to Operation Stackola.. Big jacked that ? . The album wasn't as gritty as his debut.. way too commercialized. Too many features. His lyricism declined. Don't get me wrong, it was a hot album but by no means was it classic outside the fact it dropped right after he died and of course they were gonna say it was the rawest ? .. he was the biggest rapper in New York at the time and the album wasn't wack. But in terms of double disc albums the ? ain't ? with AEOM at all. When you have conversations about classic albums this one isn't gonna be mentioned in the top 50 doggy. Killa Cam didn't drop his classic albums in the 1990's and Jay, 50, and Nas were on top at the time so they didn't get as much acclaim as they deserved but they had no filler songs. Banged all the way through and were just all around raw. Way more replay value.

Mase executed the new Bad Boy shiny suit sound better than Biggie easily. I would even put No Way Out above LAD.. that being said, Big had the hottest verse on No Way Out... but you know how things are with death doggy. Everything gets inflated. Not trying to rain on ya lil celebration thread and I know you're a big B.I.G. fan but I just had to drop some reality to the world real quick. Quality album but to answer your question "Does this album ever get old??" Yes...
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Get this through ya skull Rapmastermind.. B.I.G. has one classic called Ready to Die.. LAD has filler joints. They're not that hard. Story to Tell is garbage compared to real story telling tracks like Blaze a 50... Big bit The Luniz with the "Playa Hater" song.. I know you don't know about west coast music but go back through the files and listen to Operation Stackola.. Big jacked that ? . The album wasn't as gritty as his debut.. way too commercialized. Too many features. His lyricism declined. Don't get me wrong, it was a hot album but by no means was it classic outside the fact it dropped right after he died and of course they were gonna say it was the rawest ? .. he was the biggest rapper in New York at the time and the album wasn't wack. But in terms of double disc albums the ? ain't ? with AEOM at all. When you have conversations about classic albums this one isn't gonna be mentioned in the top 50 doggy. Killa Cam didn't drop his classic albums in the 1990's and Jay, 50, and Nas were on top at the time so they didn't get as much acclaim as they deserved but they had no filler songs. Banged all the way through and were just all around raw. Way more replay value.

Mase executed the new Bad Boy shiny suit sound better than Biggie easily. I would even put No Way Out above LAD.. that being said, Big had the hottest verse on No Way Out... but you know how things are with death doggy. Everything gets inflated. Not trying to rain on ya lil celebration thread and I know you're a big B.I.G. fan but I just had to drop some reality to the world real quick. Quality album but to answer your question "Does this album ever get old??" Yes...

I posted in the very 1st post why it's Classic Status is not debatable. And guess what. HIP HOP agrees with me, The Critics Agree with me and the FANS agree with me. You are the one on an island. Biggie dropped 2 Classics and died. Ma$e album is a New York Classic yes but it's really like 4 or 4.5 Mics at best. LAD is a certified Classic that changed Hip Hop. How can anyone take you seriously when you say Classic storytelling like "I got a story to tell" is garbage? Also Biggie was on that cinematic storytelling way before NaS, where do you think he got it from?. You say "The Album wasn't gritty". Well how do you explain all these songs: "What's Beef, Long Kiss Goodnight, Kick in the door, My Downfall, Last Day, 10 ? Commandments, Your nobody till somebody kills You". All gritty. Biggie LP's always had a balance of Commercial/Street that was the formula he perfected and the influence he left behind.

Of course LAD had more commercial songs, it's a Double Disc LP. If you look at "Ready To Die", Biggie had about a 65/35 Commercial/Street split. On LAD it was about 55/45 split. That's Called balance. So though you are entitled to feel it's not a Classic that doesn't mean it's not cause it earned that. My favorite analogy is "You can say all you want The Godfather isn't a Classic movie but your personal opinion of that film won't changed it's cemented Classic Status". The same goes for LAD, it's 14 years later, it's on so many Best of all time List it's not even funny. Also you are not raining on my thread, if you read the post and the poll it's clear a majority of fans still consider this one of the best rap albums of all time.
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Here is an MTV article about the album 4 years ago:

070911-notorious-big.jpg

Mar 23 2007 6:00 AM EDT 2,755

Notorious B.I.G.'s Epic Life After Death Lives Strong 10 Years Later
    Hitmen captain Deric 'D-Dot' Angelettie talks about Diddy's involvement, more.

By Shaheem Reid

Ten years ago, on March 25, 1997, the Notorious B.I.G. released his epic double-LP, Life After Death. Probably the closest thing to listening to Biggie on the album is watching Kobe Bryant score 81 points against the Toronto Raptors. Biggie was effortless, flawless, inexorable. For this writer, Life After Death holds a very special place: It's simply the most irresistible thing I've ever heard, and it's my personal my favorite hip-hop album ever — yes, ever! A debate at my desk between me and my colleague Sway over which Big album is better — 1994's Ready to Die (another of my favorites) or Life After Death — actually led directly to the Greatest Hip-Hop Albums of All Time" piece and its two sequels: "Greatest MCs" and "Greatest Groups."

By the time Life After Death was finished, shortly before Biggie's death on March 9 of that year, there was no doubt that he was the king and that the rest of the world was starting to get lapped. Nobody in rap was making more hits. "It's sort of like a dude coming from high school to the pros," said Deric "D-Dot" Angelettie, who was the head of Bad Boy A&R and captain of Puff Daddy's production dream team, the Hitmen. Besides acting as the A&R rep for Life After Death, D-Dot's chief contribution to the album was creating the track for its first single, "Hypnotize."

"There wasn't a lot of room to go back to the basics, we had to let him do him," the legendary producer added. "Once he got in the studio and realized the art of making music, getting comfortable with his voice, he started slowing the vocals down a little bit [and] the melodies became a little more prevalent. He approached it a lot more creatively. [Biggie's 1994 LP] Ready to Die was his autobiography, and Life After Death was a observation of what Ready to Die was and what he was going to be. We took the approach like Life After Death was going to be a movie and it was going to look at [Biggie's] life." Life After Death was crafted by culling D-Dot and the Hitmen's best beats, as well as those from some key outsiders Biggie was a heavy fan of — such as the RZA, Havoc from Mobb Deep and DJ Premier — and close friends from his camp, like Easy Mo Bee and DJ Clark Kent.

The first song recorded for the album is the first full one you hear on it, "Somebody's Gotta Die." Biggie already proved to be a master of storytelling on his Ready to Die debut, with records like "Everyday Struggle" and "Me and My B---h," but "Somebody's Gotta Die" — produced by Nashiem Myrick and Carlos Broady — was the next step in that evolutionary process. The dark, stirring song finds Biggie in the center of fictional tale of revenge and regret. His attention to detail was so remarkable, from the sound effects — a knock at a door, duct tape being unraveled — to him rapping over one of his own conversations, also about retaliation. Biggie's voice was every bit as gripping as Orson Welles' on his "The War of the Worlds" radio broadcasts — especially in the ill plot twist at the end, when Biggie shoots his foe, who's holding a crying infant in his arms. "N---a turned around holding his daughter."

And that's just how Life After Death starts. Neither of the album's two discs ever relents. Whether it's the sheer merriment you feel when you listen to "Mo Money Mo Problems," the unadulterated rough flow on "Long Kiss Goodnight," the lyrical tutorial Biggie gives on "My Downfall" or the untainted brashness of "F--- You Tonight," no MC has been able make a double LP, let alone a single long player, that measures up to the standard Biggie set on this opus.

Each song became sort of like a scene to an Oscar-caliber movie musical. Another strength of Biggie's was his ear for music: One of the reasons why some other MCs who were in close range to Biggie lyrically but fell short is because they didn't have the right beats to accompany their words. That was never a problem with the Notorious one. Having the best producers at the time at your disposal is one thing, but knowing the right tracks to use from them is another. It was Biggie himself who chose the soundscape to the DJ Premier-produced "Ten ? Commandments" — the rapper heard Jeru Da Damaja rapping over the beat on a radio commercial and convinced DJ Premo to let him get it for the album. It was also Biggie who turned a deaf ear to Diddy when the Bad Boy CEO shunned Premier's "Kick in the Door" track, and recorded it anyway.

"The majority of the beats that was on Biggie's album was a agreement type of thing," D-Dot said. "He liked it, I liked it, Puff liked it. There were very few times when all of us didn't like the same beat and that would be problems. But Biggie didn't really like Puff to be in the studio when he was recording. I made most of the Life After Death album in the studio with Biggie and we let Puff approve what he liked and didn't like."

Needless to say, there was little left on the cutting-room floor. Like Kobe against the Raptors, Biggie was in the zone. The studio sessions at New York recording studio Daddy's House became infamous, according to those working on the album. Women were flown in from all over the country and heavy partying stayed in rotation. The crew sometimes stopped sessions to go to the movies or the nightclubs and come back and record. Biggie was coming off career highs — working with Michael Jackson and R. Kelly, killing the clubs and the charts with the Conspiracy album he'd just put out with his crew Junior M.A.F.I.A., seeing the group's Lil' Kim step out on her own and go platinum. All the while, Ready to Die was still a fan favorite, almost three years after its bow. Biggie had so much to say and apparently felt his skills were so advanced that he just kept recording — which led to Life After Death becoming a double LP. "He was already talking about what his third album was going to sound like," D-Dot said. "That's why we named [the posthumous project] Born Again. That was his idea.

"I can't tell you what his favorite song from Life After Death was," D-Dot continued, "but I know he loved 'Going Back to Cali,' I know he loved 'You're Nobody ('Til Somebody Kills You).' I know he loved the joint he was singing on, 'Playa Hater,' because he loved singing. He loved 'Ten ? Commandments' because he knew that was hip-hop classic. When he finished that, he said, 'This is going to be a classic for n---as.' I think he knew that if he was around to support it, it could be possibly the biggest-selling album, close to Thriller sales. It still sold 10 million [copies,] and he was dead when it came out. Imagine if he was alive to support it and do the tours and movies that was set up for him. He never even got a chance to perform any songs on the album. "He was a student of hip-hop, and he really just wanted to be the best MC ever. That's really the legacy of Biggie," D-Dot concluded.

Also for those that missed, hear the story behind one of the greatest albums of all time:

449542722_tp.jpg

XXL'S THE MAKING OF LIFE AFTER DEATH

http://www.xxlmag.com/magazine/2006/03/the-making-of-life-after-death-many-men/
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ? them wack ass MTV braintrust. They jump on any opportunity to criticise,downplay and discredit the influence of Pac and Nas. That fat ? shaheem wuz sayin both bigs albums be better than nuthn Pac ever put out and ? that ? sway for tryna do Nas ? . Sway and shaheem be stannin on Jay and big.
  • samkaveli
    samkaveli Members Posts: 572
    edited March 2011
    Options
    LOL can't you ? ever stop with the Pac Vs Big thing? ? is old, played out, and dead just like them get over that ? . anyways, nice thread still bump LAD from time to time my fav tracks are Notorious Thugs, Story to tell, playa hater, sky is limit, somebody gotta die, going back to cali, kick in the door, long kiss goodnight, you're nobody to name a few CLASSIC ? .
  • talik23
    talik23 Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lmao at ? hating. life after death is diamond status in sales
This discussion has been closed.