Mike Krzyzewski reacts to Jalen Rose

Options
Figo
Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Obviously, that was a poor choice of words and very insulting to everyone here at Duke but especially, not just our African-American players, but any African-American students," Krzyzewski said.

Coach K is spitting the truth.

Comments

• radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    read it earlier.... Jalen starting to mount some L's...
  • beezy f baby
    beezy f baby Members Posts: 4,909 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The interview will be on 790 the zone in Atlanta at 8am. I was going to make this thread earlier but forgot. Coach K was ethering Rose and King talking about they aren't ? compared to Hurley and Hill.
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He made the point i kept making. He aint recruit Rose cuz he had Hill and Hill was better. Tryed to get Webber. King and the other dude were not good enough to play at Duke,
    and Juwan was staying in Michigan.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    he also said that Duke was very successful against Michigan and that he recruited webber, they already knew Howard wasn't coming to Duke so he didn't recruit him and he didn't recruit Jalen b/c they had Grant Hill and duke didn't need him, then i believe he said, "the other two" just weren't good enough to get recruited by Duke and weren't as good as (more ether) Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, and Billy McCaffery. he also said Michigan had a heck of a run, but they didn't leave anything, they didn't establish anything there. The guys that K had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later -- the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.

subliminal ether mixed in with outright disses. guess those comments is what led Jalen to drink
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That Uncle Tom comment was uncalled for in my opinion by Rose.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Figo wrote: »
    That Uncle Tom comment was uncalled for in my opinion by Rose.

naw. he was young and from the hood
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    "We were very successful against them and, to be quite frank with you, we recruited Chris Webber," he said. "I didn't recruit Jalen Rose because we had Grant Hill and I'm happy with that. We didn't look at the other, Juwan Howard [because] we knew he wasn't going to come to Duke. The other two kids we didn't think were the caliber that could play as well as Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and Billy McCaffery. They're good kids. They were good kids."
  • radaman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    He made the point i kept making. He aint recruit Rose cuz he had Hill and Hill was better. Tryed to get Webber. King and the other dude were not good enough to play at Duke,
    and Juwan was staying in Michigan.
    he also said that Duke was very successful against Michigan and that he recruited webber, they already knew Howard wasn't coming to Duke so he didn't recruit him and he didn't recruit Jalen b/c they had Grant Hill and duke didn't need him, then i believe he said, "the other two" just weren't good enough to get recruited by Duke and weren't as good as (more ether) Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, and Billy McCaffery. he also said Michigan had a heck of a run, but they didn't leave anything, they didn't establish anything there. The guys that K had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later -- the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.

subliminal ether mixed in with outright disses. guess those comments is what led Jalen to drink

pretty much....
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    naw. he was young and from the hood

So that's the mentality from a 19 year old that came from the hood? I am a foreigner. I want to no if that's how American Blacks in the "hood" think.
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    "How is it to be less black?" he said. "If the definition of an Uncle Tom is me coming from a dual-parenting home where my mother and father worked harder for me to receive a better education; if the definition of an Uncle Tom is for me going to a prestigious school like Duke or Harvard or learning how to flow from being in the inner city and also being on TV and in the corporate world, I'll be an Uncle Tom all day long."-jay williams
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Jalen Rose is a very smart person. Maybe dude still hate Duke for not recruiting him over Hill. Hopefully in today's media world, people don't only remember Jalen Rose as "the black man that criticize Duke black's as Uncle Tom". Rush Limbaugh and his followers love that ? .
  • radaman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Jalen Rose is a very smart person. Maybe dude still hate Duke for not recruiting him over Hill.

I think it's moreso from the ass whoopings he took...
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Jalen Rose is a very smart person..

very smart by whos standards? inner city kids? or the general population?
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    My thing is why are they going hard on Rose for ? he thought 20 years ago?

Grow up, and getg over that ? , ol' emotional-? .
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options

well in this case, he dissed coach K and his players, and 20 years ago or today, you have to stand up for your guys and your school. K can't say, oh even though he was off base, he didn't know any better for disgracing me an dmy team.
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    very smart by whos standards? inner city kids? or the general population?

I'll say in general. He just dumb down a bit about trying to prove why blacks in Duke is Uncle Toms which is pure assness. Over emotional about the beating and pure jealousy of Duke minority players.
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options

20 years ago, 2 weeks ago, it doesn't matter, words live on. Over 20 years an he is still bitter. Clearly Rose misinterpret his words.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So that's the mentality from a 19 year old that came from the hood? I am a foreigner. I want to no if that's how American Blacks in the "hood" think.

yes. some kids think like that
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options

yes. they don't have any information so instead of staying neutral, they just say what they think is happening, even if they have nothing to support it.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i thought steven a smith squashed this ?

jalen was right ? a coach k

Nice to hear Coach K's point of view, but Stephen A Smith won here!!
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I wonder if Michigan State ever had any African players. Duke had Luol Deng, an original african, Dinka tribesman at that
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lmao @ light mayo faced ?
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Lot of bitchassness and self-righteousness from Duke players. Can't say i'm surprised. Their masters must be pleased.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ugh they still talkin about this?