aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    im a duke fan but I call ? on Thoms Hill being better than Rose or King
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This is very dishonest, considering Jalen was ranked in the top10 amongst high schoolers. And most of Duke"s players, were not.

So how was he not good enough, unless you"re speaking along lines of an Uncle Tom type demeanor away from the Court?

And coach K, is as pathetic as Grant Hill, by coming off as if this wasn't said 20 years ago

Word, jalen rose was a top 10 player? But Duke still beat there squad and get the NCAA title. You don't believe Grant Hill was a win win for Duke basketball program?
  • aneed123
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Figo wrote: »
    Word, jalen rose was a top 10 player? But Duke still beat there squad and get the NCAA title. You don't believe Grant Hill was a win win for Duke basketball program?

but Coach K acting like those other players outside of Grant were better which isnt true. the truth is Coach K recruits a certain type of black player. I wish he and the world would just keep it real. Rose and the others didnt fit that mold.
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    but Coach K acting like those other players outside of Grant were better which isnt true. the truth is Coach K recruits a certain type of black player. I wish he and the world would just keep it real. Rose and the others didnt fit that mold.

whats wrong if certain type of players dont fit the mold of a team? Wouldn't you get players that fit your system regardless of background?
  • aneed123
    edited March 2011
    Options
    whats wrong if certain type of players dont fit the mold of a team? Wouldn't you get players that fit your system regardless of background?

if tlent wise I fit but u want a certain type of black player then I wouldnt be mad but Id want u to tell the truth. The perception from a lot of black people is that Duke only wants the token black guy (u know the only ? in the commercial with the funky hairdo hanging with the white and asian) Rose resented that. he just used the wrong word in uncle tom and saying 2 parent home.
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You already admitted you"re a foreigner, and you alluded to being disconnected from any aspect of American life and Inequality, which make Jalen"s words true.

I think you need to first decipher the real Duke, and the real America that perpetuates the existence of a 'Duke approach' to recruiting players as Jalen truthfully laid it out.

And consider too...

Only reason Coach K & Grant Hill are angry is because they know the avg. Fan can look at Duke, over the past 20 years, and realize that they make Jalen look like a psychic!

dawg, well show me what it is. from my point of view, Duke get players that fit there system, and so far they stay winning. What is the American life your talking about?
  • Figo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Fab 5 made American History whereas Duke, did not.

And yes Grant Hill was a win win, for Duke, because he fits that Uncle Thomas mold, that Duke needed to resonate to future prospects...living that same disconnected-from-Black ghetto life.

what history the Fab 5 did? reaching the final black players? they was balling no doubt
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options

there's nothing wrong with it...a good majority of teams in college and professional go after certain types of players for their teams...it's just an issue because Jalen Rose threw race into the mix publicly. Here's the one thing I don't get though, whether or not anybody agrees or disagrees with what Jalen Rose said how can ANYBODY defend Coach K and anybody else from Duke for reacting as if they've NEVER heard this criticism before? This "comment" by Jalen Rose was the worst kept "secret" ever because it was something that has long been said about Duke and a few other schools about how they recruit.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No, you"re wrong.

Plus, your Livelihood is posted up too far from the ghetto, to know how Black males think.

please tell me then, what information did rose have at his disposal to make these statements? his own personal, sheltered viewpoint doesn't reflect the actual truth. and why would coach K recruit a kid who said all along he isn't staying four years?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    dawg, well show me what it is. from my point of view, Duke get players that fit there system, and so far they stay winning. What is the American life your talking about?

the "problem" was that Duke doesn't recruit players that may turn out to be problem kids...they go for kids from clean cut, 2 parent upper middle class homes for the most part..and that disqualifies alot of kids who grow up in the inner city. The issue becomes now that alot of people feel that for years Duke has discounted players based on circumstances out of their control such as coming form a single parent household or being from certain areas...and Jalen Rose said publicly what people been saying for 20 years now
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Plus Rose would have been a freshman and still playing at Duke when Grant was in the nba. So I dont buy Coach Duke's ? and neither should anyone.
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options

thats it. all coaches, or most coaches have a 'system' and the get players who fit that role. duke's system at that time was recruiting team players, who wouldn't cause problems, would accept being unselfish, would respect the coach, and would play the game with the hustle and intensity on both ends of the court than coach K demanded. the same can be said for coaches who stick to a 'system'
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Plus Rose would have been a freshman and still playing at Duke when Grant was in the nba. So I dont buy Coach Duke's ? and neither should anyone.

wrong.................
  • aneed123
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Im a Duke fan but part of this is a reason why most black folk like UNC over Duke.
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options

before i say you dont know what you are talking about...i'll just ask. what are you talking about? they turned pro the same year i believe.
  • sdotcarter111
    edited March 2011
    Options
    They went pro same year because Jalen left early. Duke expects all they recruits to stay for all 4 years. Duke would have recruited Rose with the expectation he would be there for the duration, meaning he would still be playing after Grant bounced.

Besides that, he would have been a crazy backup for Hill, or he could have played at the 2 with Grant at the 3. Its like saying the Lakers shouldn't sign Monta Ellis because they already have Kobe.

I don't believe Mike. He needs more people.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    he also said that Duke was very successful against Michigan and that he recruited webber, they already knew Howard wasn't coming to Duke so he didn't recruit him and he didn't recruit Jalen b/c they had Grant Hill and duke didn't need him, then i believe he said, "the other two" just weren't good enough to get recruited by Duke and weren't as good as (more ether) Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, and Billy McCaffery. he also said Michigan had a heck of a run, but they didn't leave anything, they didn't establish anything there. The guys that K had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later -- the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.

subliminal ether mixed in with outright disses. guess those comments is what led Jalen to drink

lol @ led him to drink
  • Darius
    edited March 2011
    Options
    They went pro same year because Jalen left early. Duke expects all they recruits to stay for all 4 years. Duke would have recruited Rose with the expectation he would be there for the duration, meaning he would still be playing after Grant bounced.

Besides that, he would have been a crazy backup for Hill, or he could have played at the 2 with Grant at the 3. Its like saying the Lakers shouldn't sign Monta Ellis because they already have Kobe.

I don't believe Mike. He needs more people.

so jalen could have played 2nd fiddle for 3 years? i dont think he'd like that and it would become a distraction. he'd put himself over the team. a no no for K.

duke expecting their guys to stay 4 years is another reason jalen had no shot at getting an offer there, he had no intentions of staying 4 years.

and Phil Jackson gets guys who fit the system, not necessarily the best players available
  • sdotcarter111
    edited March 2011
    Options
    He never put himself over the team in Mich. And he was always behind Webber there in the pecking order and didnt mind, all the fab five wanted to do was win, and Jalen was part of that. So thats ? .

The no intentions of staying 4 years thing don't fly either, since Webber left before Rose did and he was recruited by Coach K. Duke expects everyone to stay. It don't matter what they do at another school.
  • radaman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I was about to respond but it's already been handled... lol @ thinkin Jalen wouldve been open to being a backup for 3 years...
  • aneed123
    edited March 2011
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    I was about to respond but it's already been handled... lol @ thinkin Jalen wouldve been open to being a backup for 3 years...

He wouldnt have been a back up. Thomas Hill wouldnt have played
  • radaman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    But think about it, isnt Coach K doing HIM a favor by not recruiting him because Grant was already there for 3 more years??? no way Jalen wouldve been cool with playing a small part of a team back then.
  • radaman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    He wouldnt have been a back up. Thomas Hill wouldnt have played

Coach K said he didnt recruit him because of Grant Hill.... thats coming from the horse's mouf doggy
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ugh they still talkin about this?

• aneed123
    edited March 2011
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    Coach K said he didnt recruit him because of Grant Hill.... thats coming from the horse's mouf doggy
    Coach K talkn out his ass. he said Hill and others were better than Rose including Lang and Hill which is bs.... Rose woulda started at Duke if he was a do boy