If you had 2 delete 1 of the following artists from hiphop history who would it be?

Options

Comments

• DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    substance and complex rhymes>>>>>>>>>substance

blackstar>>>>>>>>>>>death certificate.

? >>>>>>>> blackstar
  • ChuckieInDaMurderAve
    ChuckieInDaMurderAve Members Posts: 1,787 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Substance and Complex rhymes>>>>>>>>>Substance

Blackstar>>>>>>>>>>>Death Certificate.

lol................
  • DRO
    edited March 2011
    Options
    talik23 wrote: »
    what rapper u know said they look up to weezy as a influence besides drake ? ass.

i said in hiphop period, meanin people that listen to it.. Hell even juelz said wayne was in his top 5 doa
  • frozenheartwjlb
    frozenheartwjlb Members Posts: 206
    edited March 2011
    Options
    And if we are doing write in's. I will throw mine out to P.Diddy. No Bad Boy Records, and BIG may still be alive, may have not had the whole east/west beef. The Lox would not have been hung up for so long, Red Cafe would have not been on a shelf for years. He would not have ? up Yung Joc and Zoe's releases. Yeah he is a business man, whatever. Dude don't even write his own lyrics, or really do any beats. What good is he for?
  • DRO
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dude... Like 4 real... How is pac and big leadin in this thread?
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    hnic1978 wrote: »
    Do you really believe the ? you say????

Only if you are too stupid to undestand the difference between typing something and saying something.

Now how stupid are you??
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dude... Like 4 real... How is pac and big leadin in this thread?

Dudes love to hate. Tupac and Biggie are more influential than Jay Z, NaS, Outkast and KanYe and that's not even debatable. But again people hate the fact they forever loved and their spots are untouchable, it's their way to lash out against History. The thought of Pac and Biggie being erased from Hip Hop History is a joke.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Cain_Marko wrote: »
    LOL...Biggie fan what up homie?

LOL, you ever had a conversation with a homie crackin inside jokes and a side-line square try to jump in the convo??

..its like smackin' a child across the mouth for interrupting adults..you be like "sit your monkey-ass down"!

Now peep game: I say Biggie for multiple reasons, he has the smallest catalog and there are other rappers from his region that could take the reigns and still have their region/city on point in this rap ? ....

If you take away OutKast then the South is on some ? ? .
    If you take away Tupac you lose the Black-Power gangsterism on the West-Coast.

Biggie is an easy target also because of his size :(
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    LOL, you ever had a conversation with a homie crackin inside jokes and a side-line square try to jump in the convo??

..its like smackin' a child across the mouth for interrupting adults..you be like "sit your monkey-ass down"!

Now peep game: I say Biggie for multiple reasons, he has the smallest catalog and there are other rappers from his region that could take the reigns and still have their region/city on point in this rap ? ....

If you take away "Ready To Die", the West still dominates. Sorry, Biggie is essential for Jay and NaS to even blow like they eventually did. As Classic as "ILLmatic" and "36 Chambers" were, they did not do that well commercially to compete with what Dre and Snoop was doing. It took "Ready To Die" that had the critical and commercial acceptance to take the East to the next level. Therefor erasing Biggie sets the East back, His Limited catalog on accents his importance cause his 2 LP's changed the game. With the exception of what NaS did for Lyrics on his debut, most people on this list did not change Hip Hop on their 1st two albums like Biggie did.
  • wordsRweapons
    wordsRweapons Members Posts: 3,217 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

Now you peep game:

The south is already on some ? ? . Outkast made it okay for you to be borderline homosexual in hiphop. Outkast opened the door for artists like lil b to openly express their homosexuality. Outkast opened the door for rappers to wear tight jeans with peacoats.
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If you take away "Ready To Die", the West still dominates. Sorry, Biggie is essential for Jay and NaS to even blow like they eventually did.

i have to agree

BIG made NY rap cool again

Pac always said BIG came at a time when NY needed something to rep them cuz they had no one...? compared him to ? , but however he meant it, BIG was essential to the success Jay and Nas went on to have...
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If you take away "Ready To Die", the West still dominates. Sorry, Biggie is essential for Jay and NaS to even blow like they eventually did. As Classic as "ILLmatic" and "36 Chambers" were, they did not do that well commercially to compete with what Dre and Snoop was doing. It took "Ready To Die" that had the critical and commercial acceptance to take the East to the next level. Therefor erasing Biggie sets the East back, His Limited catalog on accents his importance cause his 2 LP's changed the game. Most people on this list did not change Hip Hop on their 1st two albums.

Outkast, changed the game, Nas did, Jigga did, Kanye did, Pac did.

It doesn't matter who did it in a shorter time, its a bit unfair to Biggie because he died prematurely, but that doesn't negate the fact that the rest of the rappers on that list have had longer more fruitful careers.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Now you peep game:

The south is already on some ? ? . Outkast made it okay for you to be borderline homosexual in hiphop. Outkast opened the door for artists like lil b to openly express their homosexuality. Outkast opened the door for rappers to wear tight jeans with peacoats.

Yeah C/S, Outkast opened the door for white rappers to have grown men sit on their face(n/h)
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Outkast, changed the game, Nas did, Jigga did, Kanye did, Pac did.

It doesn't matter who did it in a shorter time, its a bit unfair to Biggie because he died prematurely, but that doesn't negate the fact that the rest of the rappers on that list have had longer more fruitful careers.

It matters in the fact at the time Biggie changed the game. The East would not be where it was without what Biggie did, that's not even really debatable if you look at History. People forget how much the West was smashing the game at the time Biggie kicked in the door. Snoop and Dre were running Hip Hop and East coast Emcees were not selling like that. All the rappers listed changed the game somehow, which is true but Jay and NaS both benefited from Biggie's success. Which in turn helped KanYe down the line.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If you take away "Ready To Die", the West still dominates. Sorry, Biggie is essential for Jay and NaS to even blow like they eventually did. As Classic as "ILLmatic" and "36 Chambers" were, they did not do that well commercially to compete with what Dre and Snoop was doing. It took "Ready To Die" that had the critical and commercial acceptance to take the East to the next level. Therefor erasing Biggie sets the East back, His Limited catalog on accents his importance cause his 2 LP's changed the game. With the exception of what NaS did for Lyrics on his debut, most people on this list did not change Hip Hop on their 1st two albums like Biggie did.

The argument then is the argument know: The Roots, Jeru the Damaja, Boot Camp Click, Ghost & Rae and other HipHop heads were against the glossy-glam commercial-pop bubble-gum ish that Biggie and Bad-Boy were pushing...now fast forward to 2011 and the state of NY HipHop.

By trying to compete with Snoop & Dre the East-Coast lost its identity and went so far commercial-wise with the shiny suits and versace that they lost that organic NY grittiness that made them famous in the first place.

Its speculative at best to say Nas or JayZ wouldnt have blown...Nas is Rakim reincarnate h would have blown regardless in my humble opinion.
  • DRO
    edited March 2011
    Options
    yeah c/s, outkast opened the door for white rappers to have grown men sit on their face(n/h)

hahahah i know right....
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The argument then is the argument know: The Roots, Jeru the Damaja, Boot Camp Click, Ghost & Rae and other HipHop heads were against the glossy-glam commercial-pop bubble-gum ish that Biggie and Bad-Boy were pushing...now fast forward to 2011 and the state of NY HipHop.

By trying to compete with Snoop & Dre the East-Coast lost its identity and went so far commercial-wise with the shiny suits and versace that they lost that organic NY grittiness that made them famous in the first place.

Its speculative at best to say Nas or JayZ wouldnt have blown...Nas is Rakim reincarnate h would have blown regardless in my humble opinion.

They didn't lose their identity, they just reinvented themselves, you know adopt or become extinct. Biggie was not the 1st New York Rapper to have pop hits and the "Shinny Suit" ish happen after Biggie died, Biggie never wore that ish. The fact is in that same style, Biggie dropped 2 Classics, "Ready To Die" is one of New York's and Hip Hop Greatest albums. It's not really that speculative to say NaS and Jay Z benefited from Big's success cause they've both admitted to that fact. NaS completely switched up his sound due to Biggie, Jay just followed in Biggie's footsteps with his formulas and yes took some bars in the process.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I can feel you on that BUT Tupac took Cube whole style so to be honest the west wouldve been just fine. The west had Paris, The COUP, and Divine Styler and many more doing the same thing. Pac's progression was his antics.....when he stepped away from the Strictly4MyNiggaz style I stopped liking Pac as much.

Would you be willing to delete the most famous African-American rapper (Tupac) who ever lived to salvage Biggie Smalls a popular rapper who never became a cultural icon?

Keep in mind that Tupac is immortalized in movies, books, and curriculum's.

If you delete Tupac then you delete Biggie because Tupac groomed him, nurtured him, and gave him the formula....and in return Biggie allowed him to be robbed and shot.

Dear Mamma>>>>>>>Gimme the Loot
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Lol, 2Pac and B.I.G. the 2 most iconic idolized figures in HipHop getting the most votes to be deleted if possible? ? ......... you ? on some ? .
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    very insightful...
    but what if we separate the Bad Boy Shiny Suit Movement from Biggie as an MC...
    did Biggies contemporaries (ie BCC, Jeru, Roots, etc..) respect him as an MC? yes
    did BIG give cats a modified blue print for doing commercial/? records? yes
    Jay, Pun, Ross, and 50 are all grads of the BIG school...

Jay Z, DMX, NaS (After ILLmatic), Big Pun, Fat Joe, Ja Rule, 50 Cent. All the Biggest NYC figures you can think of in the last 17 years since Big dropped his debut album looked at and studied that formula. They were influenced by the Street/Commercial formulas Biggie Perfected and yes they all went to Biggie University, Jigga got his masters degree from it, lol And plenty of other rappers followed suit years later. KanYe the Emcee was clearly influenced by Biggie also, and he was mentored by one of Biggie's key producers in the Hitmen, D. Dot.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    They didn't lose their identity, they just reinvented themselves, you know adopt or become extinct. Biggie was not the 1st New York Rapper to have pop hits and the "Shinny Suit" ish happen after Biggie died, Biggie never wore that ish. The fact is in that same style, Biggie dropped 2 Classics, "Ready To Die" is one of New York's and Hip Hop Greatest albums. It's not really that speculative to say NaS and Jay Z benefited from Big's success cause they've both admitted to that fact. NaS completely switched up his sound due to Biggie, Jay just followed in Biggie's footsteps with his formulas and yes took some bars in the process.

Okay but that "reinvention" killed them...why did NY crumble if Biggie laid out the red-carpet??

sboogie wrote: »
    very insightful...
    but what if we separate the Bad Boy Shiny Suit Movement from Biggie as an MC...
    did Biggies contemporaries (ie BCC, Jeru, Roots, etc..) respect him as an MC? yes
    did BIG give cats a modified blue print for doing commercial/? records? yes
    Jay, Pun, Ross, and 50 are all grads of the BIG school...

I beg to differ..Pun is from the L.L. Cool J. school and Rozay is his own man he admired Kool G. Rap not Biggie, dont let Diddys alchemy bamboozle you.
    I can feel you on that BUT Tupac took Cube whole style so to be honest the west wouldve been just fine. The west had Paris, The COUP, and Divine Styler and many more doing the same thing. Pac's progression was his antics.....when he stepped away from the Strictly4MyNiggaz style I stopped liking Pac as much.

Cube didnt have he Sista's ears like Tupac did, Cube was too cruel on the Sista's and you cant have a movement without the Sistas...Tupac had it all bruh.
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Okay but that "reinvention" killed them...why did NY crumble if Biggie laid out the red-carpet??

I beg to differ..Pun is from the L.L. Cool J. school and Rozay is his own man he admired Kool G. Rap not Biggie, dont let Diddys alchemy bamboozle you.

Cube didnt have he Sista's ears like Tupac did, Cube was too cruel on the Sista's and you cant have a movement without the Sistas...Tupac had it all bruh.

NY was still doing just fine after "Life After Death" dropped the Atomic Bomb on the game and Jay Z, NaS and DMX as well as Ja Rule and Big Pun were able to carry the touch Biggie Left Behind. The West was a wasteland after Tupac died. Snoop fell off, Dre was MIA and Cube was doing movies. Were as the East was able to flourish after Big mostly cause of his influence, his formula and his #1 Disciple Jay Z being able to push forward. Big Pun was clearly influenced by Biggie, just listen to "Capitol Punishment". Pun has stated that Biggie was his favorite rapper. At 1st I didn't think Ross was influenced by Big but now I clearly see the influence to the point, Ross is starting to believe he's the 2nd Coming of Biggie, lol.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Simple answer Yes. Complicated answer Not really...........If hiphop could mend the wounds of the whole east vs west I would delete both of them to be honest. Because 90% of there fans hate the others fan becasue of the beef between the two. To me thats on some sheep ? and as a man I cant cosign that foolishness.

SMH...I cant believe I'm reading this...im bouts to smoke.

You said yes!!!

Come on fam' "Dear Mamma", "Brendas got a baby", "Keep ya head up"...you would take those songs away from your sisters and nieces and your own mother???

you would take "When my homies call" , "Trapped" and 'White mans world" just to keep "10 ? commandments" and "Nasty Boy"?!?!

You would delete the Outlaw Imorrtals and keep the Jr. Mafiosos??

Tupac gave ya'll the greatest picture of ghetto life a rapper has ever given and you want to delete him just to shake your ? in a club....

Were is Fazeem...
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Seriously guys? There's four other rappers up there and y'all still end up making this a 2pas vs biggie.
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    How in the ? , Biggie and Pac got the most vote?....JUST WOW.

Wait a min, maybe they weren't even born in 80's.