Is Rick Ross the only rapper left that still TRUSTS the black community for support?

Options

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why are you stereotyping your own people? Stop it 5!

Stereotypes come from truth for the most part. Its a fact that black ppl in general will buy a pair of Jordans before they go out and support the music they listen to. Go ask your homeboy down the street.

@Stilldreaming If you don't have proof your assumption of mostly black ppl supporting Ross is flawed. Saying white ppl hate him on the net is not saying much, black ppl hate him on the net too. Like somebody else said, dude is not that big and he's not that good word to his albums. Yall overrate the ? outta him just as much as Rhymesfinest overrates Em.
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Notice how all the OUTSIDERS are coming in here debating ? that is completely irrelevant to this thread. WE KNOW YALL don't like Ross, which is why this thread makes perfect sense. ROSS DONT MAKE MUSIC FOR YALL, which is EXACTLY the premise of This thread.....
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    deeper than rap> teflon don
  • talik23
    talik23 Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    EbonyTran wrote: »
    Who cares? Blacks barely support artists music. So I don't see what's the big deal about rappers wanting more mainstream success. Ross obese walrus looking ass will never have the success of Jay-Z. ? is on the same level as Soulja boy, ? Boyz, and Lil B.

co sign..... these ross stans will never understand that...........
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Can all but guarantee most of 600k were black? Prove it, ill wait...

And you can''t prove otherwise, you also can't prove your notion that Black people don't support Hip-Hop.
  • Rhymesfinest
    Rhymesfinest Members Posts: 1,892 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yea us blacks only download music, we don't support any hip-hop at all, only whites actually like ROSS enough to go in a store and buy his music. Oh yea my African brothers also traded me to the Europeans and whites never enslaved anyone. Got ya chick, now please exit stage left.

it is statistically proven whites buy majority of Music

Rick Ross is a wiggaz dream Suburban whites eat up Rappers like Ross
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    And you can''t prove otherwise, you also can't prove your notion that Black people don't support Hip-Hop.

Nope sure can't but album sales alone proves that most ppl in general don't support rap music. Word to some of the best albums of last year called Distant Relatives, Sir Lucious Left Foot and How I Got Over
  • StillDreaming
    edited May 2011
    Options
    it is statistically proven whites buy majority of Music

Rick Ross is a wiggaz dream Suburban whites eat up Rappers like Ross

Sure thing sweetie. Whites are the only Race that supports Ross. Gotcha
  • garv
    edited May 2011
    Options
    talik23 wrote: »
    co sign..... these ross stans will never understand that...........

Smh at ? co signing trannies.
  • redhandedbandit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    mobb deep never sold out
  • garv
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sure thing sweetie. Whites are the only Race that supports Ross. Gotcha

Ignore the ? .
  • redhandedbandit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    D Block Dipset
  • StillDreaming
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Let me restate the premise of this thread for the simpletons.....

The kind of music Ross makes is catered specifically for black ppl. The street talk and slang Ross uses will often go over the average white persons head, plus HE IS SPECIFICALLY TALKIN TO US IN HIS LYRICS(see Black Mans Dream). Now instead of changing his style to correlate with the Emo rap the artist like Em and Jay have had success peddling he remains steadfast in doing what his REAL supporters want from him. Basically Ross would probably sell more if he made a track like Love the Way you lie, but he wont compromise his artistic integrity for platinum plaques and Grammy awards. He's keeping it black.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    His white fanbase just as big as his black one is imo.... when I say fanbase I mean people who actually purchase an album or single, not just ? with his music
  • redhandedbandit
    edited May 2011
    Options

The kind of music Ross makes is catered specifically for black ppl. The street talk and slang Ross uses will often go over the average white persons head, plus HE IS SPECIFICALLY TALKIN TO US IN HIS LYRICS(see Black Mans Dream). Now instead of changing his style to correlate with the Emo rap the artist like Em and Jay have had success peddling he remains steadfast in doing what his REAL supporters want from him. Basically Ross would probably sell more if he made a track like Love the Way you lie, but he wont compromise his artistic integrity for platinum plaques and Grammy awards. He's keeping it black.

but D block doesnt make pop nor does mobb deep and mobb deep went plat with a street single
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

Yes he is..... if you mean maintaining that street hustler culture in 2011 yeah I agree with that. But when that ? was popular before 06 or so... we dont know if rappers were doing that ? to impress black people, thats an assumption at least to me. Look at snoop dogg selling a milli in a week with gangsta rap That was mostly white people, I could show you audio where he admitted it.

It wasnt necessarily them trying to ctaer to us. They were trying to cater where the money was. White people
  • StillDreaming
    edited May 2011
    Options
    but D block doesnt make pop nor does mobb deep and mobb deep went plat with a street single

Last rapper we have LEFT. MAINSTREAM.
  • redhandedbandit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Last rapper we have LEFT. MAINSTREAM.

true..........
  • Rhymesfinest
    edited May 2011
    Options
    His white fanbase just as big as his black one is imo.... when I say fanbase I mean people who actually purchase an album or single, not just ? with his music

Close thread
  • Rhymesfinest
    edited May 2011
    Options
    mobb deep never sold out

Styles P has done commercial Pop Singles with Akon, JLO, T Pain etc
  • StillDreaming
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yes he is..... if you mean maintaining that street hustler culture in 2011 yeah I agree with that. But when that ? was popular before 06 or so... we dont know if rappers were doing that ? to impress black people, thats an assumption at least to me. Look at snoop dogg selling a milli in a week with gangsta rap That was mostly white people, I could show you audio where he admitted it.

It wasnt necessarily them trying to ctaer to us. They were trying to cater where the money was. White people

That music was never meant to IMPRESS black ppl, its just that from a musical standpoint black ppl will feel what he's saying more than a white person would. I will also include Nas in this list because even though he's had some missteps I don't think he'd ever make a track like Forever Young. Ross ain't doing this for acceptance from white ppl, which seems to be what most rappers think you have to do to have a sucesful career. You can still make street music and perform at black clubs and HBCUs and still be good. Why you think alotta white posters are shocked at Ross still being relevant, most of em don't even know anyone who owns a Ross album.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    He gets no love in my city. I know that much
  • Guns
    Guns Confirm Email Posts: 1,504 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i support rozay ne day
  • StillDreaming
    edited May 2011
    Options
    EbonyTran wrote: »
    Who cares? Blacks barely support artists music. So I don't see what's the big deal about rappers wanting more mainstream success. Ross obese walrus looking ass will never have the success of Jay-Z. ? is on the same level as Soulja boy, ? Boyz, and Lil B.
    Its not really about who's buying the music its moreso of taking a risk to put out a product that doesn't SPECIFICALLY cater to the largest buying segment......white ppl. I am not saying that no white ppl purchased Teflon Don, of course some did. But Ross is really the only album from last year that went at least gold and had a street single on it. Recovery, and to a lesser extent Pink Friday, MBDTF, and TML all had more of a pop feel to them. I mean are we trying to pretend that Dre didn't try to ride that wave with INAD and failed horribly??

^^^^^^^^
    That is not pop/emo. So really what I'm saying is that Ross had SOME help from white ppl to hit gold, but he wouldn't have gotten near that had black ppl not supported the album. Artists like Kanye, Nicki, Em don't necessarily need that strong of a black turn out for their albums because a lot of their music has already crossed over to a more mainstream audience. In essence Ross NEEDS support from the black community, therefore he caters his music specifically towards that audience. Of course as he has become more well known he has gained some white fans, but I think he'll balance out right where he is now if he keeps his current style. I'm just not sure if enough white ppl would like Ross' music to push him to plat, unless there is a stronger black turnout when his next album drops. Ross is one of the last rappers left that is continually making music that sounds good, not just what sells to the MOST ppl.
  • blackdemo
    blackdemo Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Anyone who disagrees with the statement just doesnt like ross. ? , how can u honestly sit there (bein black) n say the opposite, u must not know black people if u can really disagree with the thrread title str8 up, like this aint even a argument. obv he has a white fanbase, but black people holdin rick ross down heavy. i live in a predomnantly white city n i was @ rick ross concert n half the crowd was black, i go to the hood in NC n NY (vacation/black only neighborhood) n what do u hear? BMF every where u go, so please if u honestly think Ross dont put on for the black community n puts his people first unlike other rappers, then ur an idiot. point blank
This discussion has been closed.