Is Rick Ross the only rapper left that still TRUSTS the black community for support?

Options

Comments

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just how it reads. I ask this because its not too many mainstream rappers I can think of that havent really changed their music to pull in a white audience. No Skylar Grey or Em feats, no Alex Da Kid production just street anthems and music that the black community would listen to most. I mean from Hustlin and Push it, to the Boss and Here I am, Magnificent, Super High, MC Hammer, and BMF etc. Even though he consistently goes gold while artists who make wacker music go platinum, Ross still manages to put out a quality product that HIS fanbase will enjoy without compromising himself musically. Will this change with his next album, I doubt it but we'll have to wait and see. I do know SELF MADE's track list is what you'd expect from any Ross album. Ross is still doing shows at black clubs and HBCUs.....something most other mainstream rappers are not. So the question remains, amongst all this hype about only white kids supporting hip-hop, is Ross the last rapper left that trusts the black community for financial support?? Discuss

I don't necessarily think Ross is the last rapper left that still trusts the Black community for support. He's just one of the only rappers that creates accessible Hip Hop music without having to rely on trends or the Pop market to move units. In some article, I recall Ross saying that he wanted his next album to reach new audiences. That's understandable as is his his approach of involving producers like Timbaland, Pharrell, and Dr. Dre and getting a Lionel Richie feature. All of those guys are capable of creating songs with Ross that don't abandon Ross's core audience.
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    pastor troy

lol good pick

"Are We Cuttin" arguably ruined his career.

Some folks aren't meant for the mainstream
  • ratchet bity
    ratchet bity Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    c.b.b. wrote: »
    lol good pick

"Are We Cuttin" arguably ruined his career.

Some folks aren't meant for the mainstream

yea i thought bout that song but is that considered mainstream cause in here u got people sayin ross got pop songs then ross stans sayin its black people featured so not pop so idk
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yea i thought bout that song but is that considered mainstream cause in here u got people sayin ross got pop songs then ross stans sayin its black people featured so not pop so idk

Pop music is Pop regardless of the race of the people making it.

Ross makes Pop music.

*edit*

Ross makes good Pop music.

If a rapper like Nas followed his formula of banging beat, r&b hook/ featured Pop artist on every track where would his career be? He would have the sales but probably wouldnt be considered one of the GOATs cuz thats not Hip Hop.

Ross might trust the Black community for support, but he doesn't trust the Hip Hop community for support. He's aiming at that Black radio top 40 market just like any other Pop artist.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Unless you can directly show who buys Ross cd's, you're talking out your ass. No one fully knows if white people aren't buying his albums, ? you don't sell a 1/2 mil off of the black community alone.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

Catering to the PoP crowd is an album like B.O.B's and if you cant understand the concept, I dont know what to tell you.

There is a difference betwen a Pop artist and and R&B artist and alot of people dont know the difference.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Unless you can directly show who buys Ross cd's, you're talking out your ass. No one fully knows if white people aren't buying his albums, ? you don't sell a 1/2 mil off of the black community alone.

Unless you can directly show who buys Ross cd's, you're talking out your ass.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Pop music is Pop regardless of the race of the people making it.

Ross makes Pop music.

*edit*

Ross makes good Pop music.

If a rapper like Nas followed his formula of banging beat, r&b hook/ featured Pop artist on every track where would his career be? He would have the sales but probably wouldnt be considered one of the GOATs cuz thats not Hip Hop.

Ross might trust the Black community for support, but he doesn't trust the Hip Hop community for support. He's aiming at that Black radio top 40 market just like any other Pop artist.

Nas has definitely had that formula. It Was Written had R&B hooks and Pop samples. Nas was initially bashed for it, but it didn't stop him from being respected artistically and lyrically. That same formula was on I Am... and The Firm. All three albums had heavy production and influence from The Trackmasters and other producers who were "in demand" at the time. The difference is Nas is didn't have singers on most of his choruses and he was still a highly regarded lyricist and MC.

Ross doesn't really do "Pop" music. Ross has a couple of songs that could be considered Pop songs because of the features and the production, but for the most part Ross's music is heavily R&B influenced more so than Pop. Chrisette Michele, Robin Thicke, The Dream, etc. aren't crossover Pop artists. They strictly create R&B music.
  • will blax
    will blax Members Posts: 539 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ross got the right beats and key words right now

http://youtu.be/paxXxcaw1Ms
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    If he thinks he does then he won't last cause most of the black community don't support music, we'd rather buy some $150 pair of J's then buy a $10 cd.

Sad but true fact. SMDH.
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ross is not embraced enough for him to lose support from the ppl he caters to. ? if he gets an album that goes 2 times plat then please believe that he will be called a sellout. its in out culture to love the underdog then when they get on top we tear em down. lord knows ross been tryin to cross over but hes not that good to do it.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lmao i like Ross but some of you act like dude is Dead Prez or Ice Cube, Ross is a good rapper, but lets not try paint him as some righteous political rapper who makes music who solely cater to conscious black folk.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nas has definitely had that formula. It Was Written had R&B hooks and Pop samples. Nas was initially bashed for it, but it didn't stop him from being respected artistically and lyrically. That same formula was on I Am... and The Firm. All three albums had heavy production and influence from The Trackmasters and other producers who were "in demand" at the time. The difference is Nas is didn't have singers on most of his choruses and he was still a highly regarded lyricist and MC.

Ross doesn't really do "Pop" music. Ross has a couple of songs that could be considered Pop songs because of the features and the production, but for the most part Ross's music is heavily R&B influenced more so than Pop. Chrisette Michele, Robin Thicke, The Dream, etc. aren't crossover Pop artists. They strictly create R&B music.

I agree with this, along with the Jazz and Funk influences. I copped his first two joints and he does make very good mafioso music.

As far as the thread topic, Rozay's fanbase is majority black. That's a fact proven by his chart positioning, shows and what's played in the community. Is he the last one left for us? Hell no. Is he the most hyped and the one with the most connects? Yes.
  • streetmason
    streetmason Members Posts: 75
    edited May 2011
    Options
    his concerts and waka flocka have more black people than any other artist right now. point blank.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited May 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Unless you can directly show who buys Ross cd's, you're talking out your ass.

fam these wiggaz & houseniggaz n herr tryna knock dreaming is CLUELESS cuz rozay did da BIG NO NO & diss'd da wigga housenigga redneck gaawd FEMINEM & calll;d that redneck a ? & a MUUUNKEE & u know damn well them wiggaz aint like that ? & rozay still went GOLD after doin da big no no cuz blkz support ROZAY....plus da HOUSENIGGAZ didnt like rozay shittin on da muuunkee either cuz i rememba that muuunkee BRICK BANKZ was on worldstarhiphop/youtube n a airport talkin about rick rizzle is bein Racist fa callin da MUUUNKEE a MUUUNKEE & that wass blk on blk crime but wat that ? brick bankz aint know is his MUUUNKEE bo$$ was callin BLKZ MUUUNKEEZ talkin about hez fa BLK on BLK crime! smh
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    fam these wiggaz & houseniggaz n herr tryna knock dreaming is CLUELESS cuz rozay did da BIG NO NO & diss'd da wigga housenigga redneck gaawd FEMINEM & calll;d that redneck a ? & a MUUUNKEE & u know damn well them wiggaz aint like that ? & rozay still went GOLD after doin da big no no cuz blkz support ROZAY....plus da HOUSENIGGAZ didnt like rozay shittin on da muuunkee either cuz i rememba that muuunkee BRICK BANKZ was on worldstarhiphop/youtube n a airport talkin about rick rizzle is bein Racist fa callin da MUUUNKEE a MUUUNKEE & that wass blk on blk crime but wat that ? brick bankz aint know is his MUUUNKEE bo$$ was callin BLKZ MUUUNKEEZ talkin about hez fa BLK on BLK crime! smh

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
  • mr.getwitcha
    mr.getwitcha Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Shout out to NBC for recognizing the BAWSE!! was in attendance at the Miami game last night.

Getwitcha
  • musicology1985
    edited May 2011
    Options
    fam these wiggaz & houseniggaz n herr tryna knock dreaming is CLUELESS cuz rozay did da BIG NO NO & diss'd da wigga housenigga redneck gaawd FEMINEM & calll;d that redneck a ? & a MUUUNKEE & u know damn well them wiggaz aint like that ?

Damn when did he diss Marshall? I missed that one.

As you very well know by now, I like some M&M songs and I appreciate what he's done for my region, but a diss is always a good thing in rap and it wouldn't be the first time for the kid.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Damn when did he diss Marshall? I missed that one.

As you very well know by now, I like some M&M songs and I appreciate what he's done for my region, but a diss is always a good thing in rap and it wouldn't be the first time for the kid.

& how can u appreciate a white racist redneck who lied 2 blk people who is USIN blk musik like ELVIS?
  • talik23
    talik23 Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Shout out to NBC for recognizing the BAWSE!! was in attendance at the Miami game last night.

Getwitcha

no he wasnt stop dickriding lil ? lmao. i seen the whole game. diddy was the only one there. and then jeff van gundy mentioned to mark jackson who was better in hip hop wise from diddy, drake and ross. and of course they put ross last lmao.....

tumblr_lit5rr1Ukz1qgx0xe.jpg
  • mr.getwitcha
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^ I was watching the game idiot. They mentioned Diddy, Drake and Ross and showed shots of all of them in their seats. Why else would they mention those 3? Unlike you, I have no reason to lie or try to change up what actually happened. Oh and FYI, Diddy and Ross were not even sitting next to each other.

Getwitcha
  • musicology1985
    edited May 2011
    Options
    & how can u appreciate a white racist redneck who lied 2 blk people who is USIN blk musik like ELVIS?

HAHAHAHA VIDEO WAS DOPE.

As far as your question, we've already debated about this many times before. There have historically been three CEO's from this area who have pushed artists in urban music to great success. 1. Berry Gordy (Motown), 2. Barry Hankerson (R. Kelly, Aalliyah) & 3. Marshall Mathers (Shady)
  • talik23
    talik23 Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^ i was watching the game idiot. They mentioned diddy, drake and ross and showed pictures of all of them. Why else would they mention those 3? Unlike you, i have no reason to lie or try to change up what actually happened. Oh and fyi, diddy and ross were not even sitting next to each other.

Getwitcha

o now diddy and ross wasnt sitting next to each other lmao. I seen the whole game too son and never seen the camera on ross/ stop dickriding that ? aint cool lil ? ................

cmon-son1.jpg
  • mr.getwitcha
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You probably didnt see it, just like you changed up Swizz beats top 5. Soon as they said Rick Ross was in attendance your mind went blank...

Getwitcha
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    white folks sure do listen to some good rappers.
    [IMG][/img]2i0uana.jpg
This discussion has been closed.