Weight loss Competition

Options

Comments

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    If you can only go 3 to 4 days before you resort back to 'bad' eating, why dont you try a cheat meal every 5 days. That way you have something to look forward to. To have a person eat healthy every single day isnt practical in the least bit. Take myself for instance, I eat clean for the most part but every saturday night I eat my cheat meal (whatever I want it to be). It prevents me from going crazy lol Equally important to what you eat is your caloric intake.

Yeah i try to eat clean for a week and then have my cheat meal, but it never works. It's not like I go overboard with my eating binges, it's just that I love to eat. I get tired of eating tuna, chicken, steak, eggs, sweet potatoes, and bananas day after day. I could never be a bodybuilder because of that. People tell me that I should compete, but I just don't have the type of dedication it takes to eat a strict diet for a stupid little trophy.
  • knivez
    knivez Members Posts: 57
    edited April 2010
    Options
    my opinion...those of you struggling to lose you'll probably have to readjust your cal intake and lower it another 200-300. i know it gets ridiculous to maintain the lower in weight you get. as far as eating too much, i think if you think things through a little you can indulge but still be inside your caloric intake. I honestly think cheat days are only gonna set you back unless you know how to reduce enough through the rest of the week to make up for it. if reducing is too difficult you'll have to up the cardio to make up for it. if you cant go to the gym for some reason work out at home. There are some really good home cardio workout videos that will be just as good as the treadmill or bike. its better than doing nothing at all cuz that'll just set you back. good luck to everyone.
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited April 2010
    Options
    knivez wrote: »
    my opinion...those of you struggling to lose you'll probably have to readjust your cal intake and lower it another 200-300. i know it gets ridiculous to maintain the lower in weight you get. as far as eating too much, i think if you think things through a little you can indulge but still be inside your caloric intake. I honestly think cheat days are only gonna set you back unless you know how to reduce enough through the rest of the week to make up for it. if reducing is too difficult you'll have to up the cardio to make up for it. if you cant go to the gym for some reason work out at home. There are some really good home cardio workout videos that will be just as good as the treadmill or bike. its better than doing nothing at all cuz that'll just set you back. good luck to everyone.

I heard the opposite. If you've been dieting and get stuck or plateau, you're supposed to increase your intake for a few days to get your metabolism out of the reserve mode. Cheat days are guaranteed failures for me. Cheat days turn into cheat weeks, like DoUwant said.

Food journals help though- it's annoying as ever- but they definitely help
  • knivez
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you mean refeeding?....well i haven't tried it myself but from what i understand they don't help get you passed a plateau...its morse to make you not feel like ? after dieting for so long. i'd rather eat at maintenance for 1 week first before i did that cuz sometimes it takes more than one week to see results. but it is an alternative for people who aren't as disciplined...it seems more of a placebo to me tho. Have you tried it sagittarius?
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you mean refeeding?....well i haven't tried it myself but from what i understand they don't help get you passed a plateau...its morse to make you not feel like ? after dieting for so long. i'd rather eat at maintenance for 1 week first before i did that cuz sometimes it takes more than one week to see results. but it is an alternative for people who aren't as disciplined...it seems more of a placebo to me tho. Have you tried it sagittarius?

Unconsciously... I'll be on a strict diet and workout program for about 2- 3 weeks and then have a few days to "shock my system" I suppose, and change it up food and portion wise. And then, get back to the program. My workouts are fine, it's the eating/ diet part that always sets me back
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I honestly think cheat days are only gonna set you back unless you know how to reduce enough through the rest of the week to make up for it.
    Even when I have my cheat meals, I take into account how many calories I am putting into my body. Even with my cheat meal, I never go over my daily caloric intake.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What's the easiest way to count calories? Do you have a chart of common foods and keep a daily log? Or do you do something like plan out your diet for a week?
  • Mastery
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What's the easiest way to count calories? Do you have a chart of common foods and keep a daily log? Or do you do something like plan out your diet for a week?
    I just check out the nutrition facts and see how many calories a certain food has 'per serving'. Like I drink fat free milk after my workouts and it has 90 calories per 8 ounce serving... I'll pour 16 ounces and have at it. I don't keep a chart or plan a diet for the week. I eat clean mostly,for example... turkey, chicken, fish, lean meats and fruits and vegetables. As far as counting the calories for that day, I just keep track in my head. Right now it is 3:20pm and I've had about 900 calories today, so far. I'll probably eat 2 - 3 more times today.

• babel
    babel Members Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Go to tinypic.com and upload your image there. Then copy the image tag for website posting and paste it in your reply. Simple as that.

Thanks man. This question is for everyone. What time do you eat your last meal of the day? My problem is I eat well into the night and I'm sure that's not good for my goal.
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

there is some apps but they are only for the iphone but i think they have websites too.

I have tried to use my phone but it gets tedious sometimes and I usually drop it but it does help for record keeping to see what you did good and bad so you can maximize your weight loss.
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    bigb86 wrote: »
    there is some apps but they are only for the iphone but i think they have websites too.

I have tried to use my phone but it gets tedious sometimes and I usually drop it but it does help for record keeping to see what you did good and bad so you can maximize your weight loss.

I have a calorie counter app on my G1 but I have yet to use it. By the time I remember I have it installed, it's usually 1/2 way during the day so I say I'll start it in the morning. And then I forget about that.

Speaking of apps, do you or anyone use the training buddy apps? I have sporty pal & cardio trainer and haven't used them. They seem to be geared toward jogging/walking cycling type workouts.
  • Alpha_Ambition
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I have a calorie counter app on my G1 but I have yet to use it. By the time I remember I have it installed, it's usually 1/2 way during the day so I say I'll start it in the morning. And then I forget about that.

Speaking of apps, do you or anyone use the training buddy apps? I have sporty pal & cardio trainer and haven't used them. They seem to be geared toward jogging/walking cycling type workouts.

Yeah those calorie counters can be tedious at first but once you have done about 2 weeks it will become easier because of the saved database. They are very helpful IMO, i just hate using them lol.

I have used Gym ABC that lets you customize your workout for weight training and cardio but the cardio is just what you did not for how long or what type of resistance. It even has animated videos to see how the exercise is done.
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nono.gif

lol

I know, I know! I started over today..I haven't eaten ONE piece of Easter candy. I'm headed to the gym now.
  • Mastery
    edited April 2010
    Options
    babel wrote: »
    Thanks man. This question is for everyone. What time do you eat your last meal of the day? My problem is I eat well into the night and I'm sure that's not good for my goal.
    I dont really have a 'set' time that I eat my last meal but I almost always never eat after 8pm. Dont let the myth fool you though. They say eating right before you go to bed is bad because blah blah blah... lol Not entirely true. As long as you are not over your caloric intake for the day you will be just fine. What people fail to realize is that our bodies are constantly burning calories, even when we sleep.
  • Alpha_Ambition
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I dont really have a 'set' time that I eat my last meal but I almost always never eat after 8pm. Dont let the myth fool you though. They say eating right before you go to bed is bad because blah blah blah... lol Not entirely true. As long as you are not over your caloric intake for the day you will be just fine. What people fail to realize is that our bodies are constantly burning calories, even when we sleep.

yeah I barely learned that about a month or so ago. I did the webay gif when I heard that LOL. I was always told dont eat after 5 or 6 or whatever I mean that does help but sometimes you get hungry as hell and you overeat at night which causes weight gain.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well here go some updated pics from tonight. Im at 209. Nothing has really changed as far as getting towards my goal of 200. I mean I love lifting weights. It's nothing to bang some iron around because I enjoy it. But trying to cut after bulking is 1 of the hardest things I have ever tried doing in my life. Going from 220 to 210 was easy. But these last 10 pounds are something else. If I didn't do any cardio to counter balance my bad eating habits, I would probably be right back at 220. It's crazy. I'm going to get it done though. No pain, no gain.

vhtgm1.jpg

2s6ppjb.jpg

2qkkm5g.jpg

2nlenpu.jpg
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    bigb86 wrote: »
    Yeah those calorie counters can be tedious at first but once you have done about 2 weeks it will become easier because of the saved database. They are very helpful IMO, i just hate using them lol.

I have used Gym ABC that lets you customize your workout for weight training and cardio but the cardio is just what you did not for how long or what type of resistance. It even has animated videos to see how the exercise is done.

I finally used my calorie counter and it makes keeping track so a lot easier. It has a decent search feature and a bar code scanner. I have the thing set on 2000 RDI but I'm not sure what my daily calorie amount should be.
  • knivez
    edited April 2010
    Options
    try going here and fill out the information to your best knowledge

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

These are just estimates but they should give you a good idea of what you need.
  • knivez
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I finally used my calorie counter and it makes keeping track so a lot easier. It has a decent search feature and a bar code scanner. I have the thing set on 2000 RDI but I'm not sure what my daily calorie amount should be.

try going here and fill out the information to your best knowledge

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

These are just estimates but they should give you a good idea of what you need.
  • knivez
    edited April 2010
    Options
    try going here and fill out the information to the best of your knowledge

freedieting .com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

These are just estimates but they should give you a good idea of what you need to be around.
  • Alpha_Ambition
    edited April 2010
    Options

yeah it does make it easier
    depends on your weight, height, how much you are trying to lose or maintain and because you are a female it is even less. Also it depends on your resting metabolic rate. (essentially your metabolism) for example for me to lose 2 pounds a week I would have to have like 1500 calories and like 1800 or 1900 for 1 pound (6' 220 lbs.)
  • knivez
    edited April 2010
    Options
    for some reason my posts aren't going through....this is a test.

ok @ nthingis4vr try this site here. it gives you an estimate. freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ok, i know im late...but whatever

i started p90x on monday and so far so good...? is a killer though. i got through the first 30 minutes on monday and was down for the count. the other 2 days have been good though, so hopefully i can keep it this up. the hard part is the dieting :(
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    for some reason my posts aren't going through....this is a test.

ok @ nthingis4vr try this site here. it gives you an estimate. freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

thanks.

So according to this calculator, if I work out 5x a week I have to cut my calories to 1700.

I tried out my cardio trainer app. I'm impressed so far. It tracked my speed, distance and calories burned. I liked the pause workout and music integration feature.