How the hell is New York the mecca of basketball????

Options

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    cuz crackers loved Babe Ruth lol seriously tho the winning baseball history there cant be denied

i misread da title brothaman? lol it said basketball mecca

the title must have been edited cuz I swore it said baseball earlier.... since its basketball let me get a Mulligan lol the rucker and ny pointguards and MSG..... Chitown and Oakland/LA GOT BALLERS TOO but u know how anything NY gets pushed to the forefront
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    There's only 2 places that BBall gets romanticized by the media:

New york because of streetball and the players that came up thru the years.

2nd place is Indiana because its middle america, Hoosiers, and guys shooting baskets on the side of a barn.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isiah
    Wade
    D.Rose
    and yes... Im claiming Mike.
  • Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob cousy
    tiny archibald
    sebastian telfair
    stephon marbury
    kenny anderson
    kenny smith
    felipe lopez
    chris mullin
    malik sealy
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Young Stef wrote: »
    Bob cousy
    tiny archibald
    sebastian telfair
    stephon marbury
    kenny anderson
    kenny smith
    felipe lopez
    chris mullin
    malik sealy

ROFL
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New Yorkers think they are the mecc of everything, but basketball? How Knicks is a weak franchise. And almost everytime Chicago and New York square off in that basketball tournament Chicago wins
  • Chase N Bundlez
    Chase N Bundlez Members Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of southern/midwest monkeys in here hatin.

Simply put, if u asked any player the most exciting place for them to play at, whether it be pro (Garden) or streetball (Rucker), they all saying the same thing....New York Muthafuckin City. Period.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Bob cousy
    tiny archibald
    sebastian telfair
    stephon marbury
    kenny anderson
    kenny smith
    felipe lopez
    chris mullin
    malik sealy

Isiah
    D.Rose
    D.wade
    Tim Hardaway
    Michael Finley
    Kevin Garnett

Mike Jordan 85-98
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Starks
    Waymon Tisdale
    Lee Mayberry
    Shea Seals

lol
  • Chase N Bundlez
    Options
    Bob cousy
    tiny archibald
    sebastian telfair
    stephon marbury
    kenny anderson
    kenny smith
    felipe lopez
    chris mullin
    malik sealy

Jamal Mashburn
    Rod Strickland
    Ron Artest
    Lamar Odom
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chicago's hoopers>NY hoopers u kno u reachin when ur usin Sebastian Telfair nd Felipe Lopez as references lls
  • Chase N Bundlez
    Options
    ^U sound ? stupid...I only see 3 HOF's on son's list. KG, Wade and Isiah.

And our mid tier guys are better than theirs...plus we got Kareem, the best player out of the 2 cities, try again youngin.
  • blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kg not from the chi
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Philly has produced better hoopers than Ny......

Kobe
    Wilt
    Rasheed Wallace
    Pete Maravich
    Earl Monroe
    Rip Hamilton
    Tyreke Evans
    MKG
    Dion Waiters
    Sam Bowie
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Isiah
    D.Rose
    D.wade
    Tim Hardaway
    Michael Finley
    Mark Aguirre
    Juwan Howard
    Terry Cummings
    Doc Rivers
    Q Richardson
    Bobby Simmons
    Nick Anderson
    Jeff Hornacek
    Antoine Walker
    George Mikan
    Corey Maggette
    Cazzie Russell
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Garnett played his high school ball in Chicago.... he lived on the west side, we claim him.

D.Rose, Wade, and Isiah shittin on yall list lol.

Newcomers.
    Anthony Davis
    Jabari Parker

What newcomers New York Claiming?

And I have to remind yall....
    Mike Jordan 85-98 six rings.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plus KG always shoutout the CHI it made him a man... Plus he was kicking it hard with those CVL's LOL
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    idk if this has been said yet, but MSG been hosting the NIT tournament, and at one time *waaaaaaaaaaay back* it was considered bigger than the NCAA tournament

the Knicks play in one of the most famous arenas in the world. lots of history there
    I find it funny that players love playing at the garden, but don't want to play for the Knicks lol coming to the garden is a chance to show out and many players have done so, which ironically hurts the Knicks more than anything. they stay getting ? on at home

the sport of basketball has a rich history in NYC, but at this point it's living off of reputation and past history instead of current performance and relevance
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its not. mecca is a terrible attempt at a comparison. It can be alot of things, but Mecca? thats beyond a reach
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is correct.. It started with the NIT tournament... Way back in the day.. 40's and 50's...
    idk if this has been said yet, but MSG been hosting the NIT tournament, and at one time *waaaaaaaaaaay back* it was considered bigger than the NCAA tournament
    the sport of basketball has a rich history in NYC, but at this point it's living off of reputation and past history instead of current performance and relevance

When you heard the phrase, "Mecca of Basketball," I don't it's in reference to NYC, but in reference to the Garden, specifically the old building:

mikan.184.1.650.jpg

MSG.jpg

Already Home and another poster alluded to this, and all of this "NYC is the Mecca of Basketball" talk harkens back to the days when the NIT was the premier tournament in college basketball and the championship game was played at the Garden.

Also back in the day, NYC area college baskeball programs were what ACC programs are today. City College, Long Island Unversity, and of course my school, St. John's.

City College and LIU were the ? day in the day, especially City College. City College is the only school to have won the Tournament and the NIT in the same year. What destroyed these once proud programs is that they were involved in point shaving scandal in the 50's and they never recovered from it. City College step away from athletics and deemphasized sports and ended up being regulated to D III athletics, while LIU shut down the athletics department from 51-57. LIU didn't get back to D I until the 80's.

Banners_zps9aae2798.jpg

My schools championship banners. As you can see, we stayed in the NIT when the NIT matter with three back championships when the NIT was important. From what I understand, the Redstorm, (what a wack ? name, anyway...) fell off after Carnesecca retired, we got put on "punishment," by the NCAA for some ? involving a booster, and half team got expelled from school for some ? involving a hoe about ten years ago. So like the my beloved 9ers, we're just now starting to get back. A little of my school's history that gives some validity to New York and the Garden being the "Mecca of Basketball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_Red_Storm"

St. John's is the 7th most winningest program in college basketball history (1686 wins),[6] St. John's boasts the 7th-most NCAA tournament appearances (27), two Wooden Award winners as national player of the year, 11 consensus All-Americans, 6 members of the College Basketball Hall of Fame, and has sent 59 players to the NBA.

St. John's University holds the second best winning percentage for a New York City school in the NCAA basketball tournament (second to City College of New York - which won the 1950 NCAA Div 1 Championship[7]) St. John's has the most NIT appearances with 27, the most championship wins with 6...

You could argue that NY is to B-ball what Vegas is to Boxing (but then again, when was the last time a championship game was played in NY?)

But that doesn't mean Vegas is the birthplace or "cradle" of boxing excellence. It's just where most of the marquee fights are held.

Actually NYC can make a claim to being that Mecca of boxing too. I'd say that marquee fights didn't take place in Vegas until the maybe the 70's and 80's other than that all of the big fights happened at the Garden and Yankee Stadium, both fights between Joe Louis and Max Schemeling took place at Yankee Stadium and the first Ali/Frazier fight took place at the Garden.

L.A.>>>>>>NYC, GTFOH!
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    New york isnt the mecca of basketball or hip hop anymore the city has fallen off so much that they're like a bigger version of las vegas at this point just brights lights and weirdos everywhere

Chicago continues to produce #1 prospects every 2 years while nyc has to talk about the 60's-70's and rucker park and havent had a great prospect since lew alcindor like 50 years ago

Jahlil Okafur got next the #1 Big man in the usa from whitney young high school on chicago's west side.That's Rose,Davis,Parker and okafur in the last 5 years who have all been top 3 draft picks/prospects.You ? old news L.a. and the chi are better basketball cities
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New york isnt the mecca of basketball or hip hop anymore the city has fallen off so much that they're like a bigger version of las vegas at this point just brights lights and weirdos everywhere

Chicago continues to produce #1 prospects every 2 years while nyc has to talk about the 60's-70's and rucker park and havent had a great prospect since lew alcindor like 50 years ago

Jahlil Okafur got next the #1 Big man in the usa from whitney young high school on chicago's west side.That's Rose,Davis,Parker and okafur in the last 5 years who have all been top 3 draft picks/prospects.You ? old news L.a. and the chi are better basketball cities

lol this thread is proof that ny is the mecca
    its still talked as the mecca, and it means more to players
    nyc summer tournaments hold down the basketball aspect (dyckman being tops in the nation at the moment)
    and our prep players are shipped out to other schools surrounding nyc but people will ignore that lol

lol and that rap comparison is bogus lol any other region still succeeds or fails only in ny allows them to.
    thats not hate, its fact. ny controls the media of hip hop. if they decide that any trend is bogus and the media clips it wings, it dies rapidly
    be happy ny is letting other regions/styles shine

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is the mecca of talkin' about N.Y. is the mecca of basketball. ? won't die, and it's the only place i hear about it these days. lol
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Though their loyalty to their team is something to be admired and possibly envied, Knick fans are funny as hell though. In their "illustrious," sixty-seven year history, they manged and astounding TWO NBA titles. :)) and of eight Eastern Conference titles, and four Atlantic Division titles, but let Knick fans tell it, they have you think they were the Celtics of the 60's, those Spur teams of ten years ago, and the those ? ass Lakers.

Then you have to kindly Knick fan of little ? like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjwKSwwcdyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3nvSyuWEg

It's bad enough when a team owns you, but how you let ONE DUDE ? AROUND! :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzuMJ0hlMS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcy_x5IKgEo

I guess New Yorkers want to claim Jordan because it somehow eases the all the pain he brought them in the 90's.

Dude stannin' hard and offering ? excuses for the Knicks ineptitude in the 90's.

http://forums.blackmenvent.com/showthread.php?38957-Embracing-Your-Inner-Uncle-Ruckus/page2&highlight=embracing+uncle+ruckus

"LMAOOO... Man, MJ was (arguably to some) the greatest ever, so EVERYBODY caught hell from him and his team. That said, who played those Championship Bulls teams harder than the Knicks? NOBODY. Even you, by virtue of your example, admit that. MJ dropped 55 against the Knicks, but all the haters happen to shuddup when they are reminded that the bulls won that game by TWO points, against a Knicks TEAM that would have won it all had it not been for that bastard #23 and his ragtag crew."-RealDealBrotha

"Once again, MJ HAD to score that much in order to barely beat the Knicks TEAM. It was a feat for ANYONE to score that much on the hard-nosed Knicks, one of the best defensive teams of that era.-RealDealBrotha"

"Yeah, my Knicks fan crew HATED MJ, just like fans of every team aside from Chicago did. That was because no team had an answer for him, thus the two 3-peat title runs."-RealDealBrotha

"Like I said before, though- no team played them harder than the Knicks."-RealDealBrotha

"The Knicks had wars with several teams in the 90's. Some we won,. others we lost. It's all part of the game. That was back when B-Ball was more of a MAN's game... before hand-checking and real Defense were outlawed."-RealDealBrotha

"Hey, Patrick wasn't the only one who made failed predictions in that era. It';s' funny how folks try to drum on him for that, as if he was supposed to say that the Knicks were planning on losing and ? . ? that- he said WTF he was supposed to say as the leader of the team?? He tried to make it happen, and didn't. Players do that all the time. All of the seething ? -made Knicks haters remember that, and all the other Knicks wars because of my team's prominence as one of the top 3 largest markets in the NBA. That fact is the salt in the open ? -hole wounds of haters, despite how much the Knicks win or lose."-RealDealBrotha

"Hahaha... All the naysayer, anti-Knicks cretins and other bumbaclots say all of that DUMB ? about my team, but the Knicks entire starting lineup is 30 or under. Go figure. Keep swiggin' that BSPN and media haterade stuff, bruh!"-RealDealBrotha

"The Knicks are in WIN NOW mode. We have some youngsters, and we have the 5 vets that all the hoes are menstruating about."-RealDealBrotha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mz4WcaknVc

Hey Knick fan, this ? happened FORTY-THREE YEARS AGO! Willis Reed ain't coming out of that tunnel anytime soon to inspire and will y'all to victory.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4Tejb14zI

@:47 The Knicks in the 90's
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u ? still in here giving testimony.....stop tryna claim jordan and streetball....

how come u ? dont have a dominant college? shouldnt all the goat NY ballers graduate and go to a Ny college and dominate together? they dont....and u ? only play street ball against each other (mostly)..so ur the mecca b/c yall play pick up games with one another? FOH