How the hell is New York the mecca of basketball????

Options

Comments

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i dont even know anymore

The best ballers come from the DC/Maryland area
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the Knicks never win ? , New york doesnt have a dominant college team....and I cant think of a player that was born and raised in new york that is considered the best or top 5 of all-time....yet all I hear from new yorkers is that they hail from the mecca of basketball and about the rucker or madison square garden....and all the hyped up ball players that come outta NY never live up to thier potential....? should stick to dancing and harlem shaking with basketballs under thier shirts and leave competition to the rest..

jordan, oscar and bill russell are from the south
    kobe and wilt from philly
    bron, wade, bird magic are from the midwest

kareem from ny
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    kareem from ny

Damn near every state can claim at least one GOAT athlete. Mickey Mantle is from Oklahoma, don't hear nobody calling Oklahoma the "mecca" of baseball.

Bottom line is the whole "mecca" ? was manufactured by the media and then gobbled up by native New Yorkers. But there's NOTHING that supports that ? .
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Holy Ground for balling... NYC, The Rucker... but Indiana, Philly, Chi, and NJ got some ? with them
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    kareem from ny

so 1 great make u the mecca??
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    so 1 great make u the mecca??

i was just pointing out they got at least 1 great player
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    OFWGKTA wrote: »
    na. ask any player in the league were they like to play at the most. Its MSG. why you think kobe, lebron, wade, and melo always go off when they play there.

WTF? ? , Bron, Wade and Kobe all had the opportunity to go the Knicks....all of them ? pulled a Tupac on NY.....the only reason they go off when they play there is because the Knicks suck and its easy for them to torch them ? .
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i was just pointing out they got at least 1 great player

which still pretty much proves my point......
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    WTF? ? , Bron, Wade and Kobe all had the opportunity to go the Knicks....all of them ? pulled a Tupac on NY.....the only reason they go off when they play there is because the Knicks suck and its easy for them to torch them ? .

Kobe had 61 points, the most ever in that arena.
    Then the day after Lebron had a triple double.
    When a team is bad you slack off. but ? bring their A games at all times when they play there.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    HOF or future HOFers

Kareem
    Bob Cousy
    Billy Cunningham
    Nate Archibald
    Red Auerbach
    Dr. J
    Bernard King
    Larry Brown
    Sam Perkins
    Lenny Wilkins
    Chris Mullen
    Dolph Schayes
    Connie Hawkins
    Mark Jackson

All from NY not to mention the Harlem Globetrotters and all the streetball legends. But with that said Indiana probably has as much right to be called the Mecca.
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    D.D.S. wrote: »

Dude ether'd himself and New York simultaneously, lol. ON PURPOSE.

EDIT:

This. Dude. Just. Murdered. New. York.

Just imagine him and Lebatard in the same studio. lol
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    outside of kareem thats a whos who list of pretty good to good players....doesnt qualify u to call that region the mecca though
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    bill burr went in on em.....lmao.....i always thought dude was underrated
  • Monizzle
    Monizzle Members Posts: 1,666
    edited May 2011
    Options
    as far as teams they suck but as far as games they always have the biggest events in basketball in any other region

College:

Big East Tourney (best confrence tourney in college basketball according to attendance, TV ratings and talent)

Showcase games: Last year uconn vs kentucky this year duke vs st johns etc every year a big named team plays an eastern team in a neutral site)

NBA:
    Best stadium to watch an NBA game from (i have been at the top of the garden and the view is still pretty legit)
    They also sell out weather the team is 0-82 or 82-0..no fair weather fans
    The crowd actually knows basketball unlike LA which is a bunch of celebrities falling asleep courtside or on twitter the whole damn game

Street Ball:
    Rucker park games all sumer

the teams suck but they still have the most basketball events compaired to any other city
    Best playground legends come from NYC (not all but they have allot more than any other city)
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    outside of kareem thats a whos who list of pretty good to good players....doesnt qualify u to call that region the mecca though

Dr. J
    Nate Archibald
    Bob Cousy
    Billy Cunningham

are just good players? FOH ? they all on the 50 greatest players list

plus that not only what makes it the Mecca like I said you got the Globetrotters the local street ball legends they dozens of other good players that made it to the NBA and the culture in NY itself. Basketball in NY is like Football in the south. NY and Indiana is like the Texas and Florida of basketball. Don't ruin the CS with yall hate for NY like yall did the reason.

And learn ya history fam.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    Dr. J
    Nate Archibald
    Bob Cousy
    Billy Cunningham

plus that not only what makes it the Mecca like I said you got the Globetrotters the local street ball legends they dozens of other good players that made it to the NBA and the culture in NY itself. Basketball in NY is like Football in the south. NY and Indiana is like the Texas and Florida of basketball. Don't ruin the CS with yall hate for NY like yall did the reason.

Hell naw @ the bolded and underlined.

Half the NFL is populated by players from Texas and Florida, bruh, and most of the good ones. lol. New Yorkers might "prefer" basketball over football, but in the south it ain't a "preference" it's just ? tradition -- religion even.

And I know a couple cats from Buffalo and quite a few cats from NY -- and to be honest -- Buffalo ? should never take up for NYC ? , 'cause NYC ? ? on upstate and non-NYC New York ? almost as much as they ? on southerners and midwesterners. lol.
  • Copper
    edited May 2011
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    Dr. J
    Nate Archibald
    Bob Cousy
    Billy Cunningham

lol @ learn history.....a over compensating new yorker catching feelings......those dudes are good but aint none top 10....and none of them dominated the league.....florida holds football high down there highschool college and pro but they dont claim to be the football mecca...yall are self absorbed egotistical underacheivers.....and lol @ "we got the globetrotters" and yall can keep 'em
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    And I know a couple cats from Buffalo and quite a few cats from NY -- and to be honest -- Buffalo ? should never take up for NYC ? , 'cause NYC ? ? on upstate and non-NYC New York ? almost as much as they ? on southerners and midwesterners. lol.

I know.... NYC nickas always dissing Syracuse and Buffalo.
    LOL
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol @ learn history.....a over compensating new yorker catching feelings......those dudes are good but aint none top 10....and none of them dominated the league.....florida holds football high down there highschool college and pro but they dont claim to be the football mecca...yall are self absorbed egotistical underacheivers.....and lol @ "we got the globetrotters" and yall can keep 'em

Word. And honestly, as much as I'd hate to say it being born in Oklahoma -- Florida has 100x more reason to call itself the mecca of football than NYC has to call itself the mecca of B-ball.

- Half the GOAT players in league today are from there. (and it's not even that big like Texas and California.)

- The home of the only undefeated NFL team in history ('72 Dolphins.)

- Iconic College programs (FSU, Florida, Miami.)

- Nationally ranked high school teams galore.

- Numerous Super Bowls played there in THREE different cities (Jax, Tampa, Miami - which has hosted the most Super Bowls.)

etc, etc. But cats from Florida don't act like they invented the game of football.
  • dat_bk_nicca
    dat_bk_nicca Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    jordan is from brooklyn
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    I know.... NYC nickas always dissing Syracuse and Buffalo.
    LOL

? , one of my best friends is from MOUNT VERNON and another one is from Queens, and they stay goin' at it. lol.
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i chop this up to, NY is the best when it comes to basketball. and people love to hate the best.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    jordan is from brooklyn

So Spike Lee is from Atlanta?
  • OFWGKTA
    edited May 2011
    Options
    jordan is from brooklyn

But he spent most of his life in N.C before he went to Chicago