YEP I DID IT !! Locs/dreadloc appreciation THREAD!!!

Options

Comments

• shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I've been locking my hair now for about 3 months. My hair is soft and wavy so it's having a little harder time locking in the front. It's cool to watch your hair go through the transitions of locking, but it takes time, patience and dedication. My hair is growing like a weed though. I consider myself going through "the ugly phase" (a few locks are sticking up and/or half locked. )but I've learned that scarves and hair bands are my friends right now. LOL. Happ locking everyone.

Hmm... iono bout this one
  • TheBeautifulYoni
    TheBeautifulYoni Members Posts: 2
    Options
    OhMars wrote: »
    So I've been locking my hair now for about 3 months. My hair is soft and wavy so it's having a little harder time locking in the front. It's cool to watch your hair go through the transitions of locking, but it takes time, patience and dedication. My hair is growing like a weed though. I consider myself going through "the ugly phase" (a few locks are sticking up and/or half locked. )but I've learned that scarves and hair bands are my friends right now. LOL. Happ locking everyone.

@TheBeautifulYoni
    What method did you start with?
    Welcome to the club

Comb twists..around my 2nd retwist I started getting them palm rolled. Thanks BTW!
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't double up when your dreads are that small, mine might have been about 8 inches before i doubled up. Hell some of my dreads are 3 or 4 dreads rolled into one.

I went to a live show and there was this dude i knew from high school on guitar, his dreads were about waistlength and they were thick. The next day i went and got mine combined and haven't looked back.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    I wouldn't double up when your dreads are that small, mine might have been about 8 inches before i doubled up. Hell some of my dreads are 3 or 4 dreads rolled into one.

I went to a live show and there was this dude i knew from high school on guitar, his dreads were about waistlength and they were thick. The next day i went and got mine combined and haven't looked back.

Best time to do it is when they are small....my dreads long as ? right now and it's hard to connect them.

I untwisted the connections but I'm a double them up again. When they are small they connect quicker from my experience. I waited too long
  • blacktux
    Options
    As long as you tie them together at the root and run thread through the dreads they will eventually tie in together and you can take the thread out.

My dreads are 18 inches and i just had two in the back combined because i had one getting too thin.

Dude dreads still in pre school LOL they not ready for all that.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Combine now when they arent fully mature. It will be easier
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @thebeautifulyoni.

i hate to be "that guy" but right now, we are in the midst of an IC crisis where men who are members here have pretended to be females or aka, gayliases

are you a female or male?
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    "If you dont want your dreads fallin out...... dont want your hairline being pushed back....... Start freeforming!!!!"

17k9piolboft.gif

• IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I chopped my locs off a month ago. They lasted way longer than I anticipated. I'm giving this another 2 years before I loc them again.
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    I chopped my locs off a month ago. They lasted way longer than I anticipated. I'm giving this another 2 years before I loc them again.

dame.gif
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aye I use the curl sponge on my hair everyday...should I be sleeping with a du-rag or stocking cap or something? I feel like I'm starting over everytime I wake up
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    How long have you been growing your hair?

Either way you should get a tam soon or atleast use a durag, more so to keep the lint out of your head. I used to wonder why i kept gettin lint in my head, but it was cuz of my pillow/bed. Once I started using the tam, I rarely get lint in my hair.
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get some satin pillowcases g
  • OhMars
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »
    Get some satin pillowcases g

What this ? said, or something to put on your head thats made of satin or silk. That cotton is sucking all the oils outta your head leaving it super dry
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    lol reason #842329 freeform>>>>>>>

You don't all those oils and waxs when u freeform. But cs the satin pillowcases.
  • Stiff
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    How long have you been growing your hair?

Either way you should get a tam soon or atleast use a durag, more so to keep the lint out of your head. I used to wonder why i kept gettin lint in my head, but it was cuz of my pillow/bed. Once I started using the tam, I rarely get lint in my hair.

I been growing prolly 3 months so I'm not really locked up at all. I'm not really having a problem with lint for real..hair just look crazy when I wake up before i use the sponge and I'm wondering if there's a better way
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    Yea the form of the locs won't begin to stay in tact until month 7 or 8. I wouldn't even start doing the towel rub or using the sponge until month 5 or 6. I just hit the 1 year mark and the locs are just now starting to really form. It's hard, but I would't even think about it right now, nothing's really gonna happen within the first year, you should start seeing them bud up around month 7-8 tho.
  • pounds_of_purp
    pounds_of_purp Members Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options
  • blacktux
    Options
    Just cut the sides off and faded it in a few days ago. Digging it so far
  • pounds_of_purp
    Options
    Just washed. My hair . finna twist these ropes up
  • pounds_of_purp
    Options
    Taking suggetionsi4bbkbrd4hai.jpg
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    l0dvetor9evc.jpeg
    This my second twists, first since the first time I got me twisted in april

I like to let my ? get real comfortable lol before I get em done again to get all the new growth

Connect them ? bruh, they too skinny

Do it now or you'll regret it in the future

My stylist connected my ? in the front and I hate em ....

Why do people say skinny dreads are bad?? I don't like my ? thick

I'm finna post up in a second
  • OhMars
    Options
    l0dvetor9evc.jpeg
    This my second twists, first since the first time I got me twisted in april

I like to let my ? get real comfortable lol before I get em done again to get all the new growth

Connect them ? bruh, they too skinny

Do it now or you'll regret it in the future

My stylist connected my ? in the front and I hate em ....

Why do people say skinny dreads are bad?? I don't like my ? thick

I'm finna post up in a second

People think small locs are more prone to breaking but if your hair is healthy it shouldn't matter
  • Stiff
    Options
    Aye do any of y'all have problem with dandruff/dry scalp? How y'all handle that. That ? always ? me up when I grow my hair out..I need something more serious than just selsun blue and coconut oil
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    You ever try to do an acv rinse?