Virginia declares April Confederate History Month....cr@ckas are going too far now

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in The Social Lounge
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/06/confederate-history-month_n_527363.html

From the Republikkkan governor of Virginia:

WHEREAS, April is the month in which the people of Virginia joined the Confederate States of America in a four year war between the states for independence that concluded at Appomattox Courthouse; and

WHEREAS, Virginia has long recognized her Confederate history, the numerous civil war battlefields that mark every region of the state, the leaders and individuals in the Army, Navy and at home who fought for their homes and communities and Commonwealth in a time very different than ours today; and [...]

WHEREAS, this defining chapter in Virginia's history should not be forgotten, but instead should be studied, understood and remembered by all Virginians, both in the context of the time in which it took place, but also in the context of the time in which we live, and this study and remembrance takes on particular importance as the Commonwealth prepares to welcome the nation and the world to visit Virginia for the Sesquicentennial Anniversary of the Civil War, a four-year period in which the exploration of our history can benefit all;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Robert McDonnell, do hereby recognize April 2010 as CONFEDERATE HISTORY MONTH in our COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA, and I call this observance to the attention of all our citizens.

I have a new appreciation for Reverend Wright right now.....he knew EXACTLY what he was talking about when he called the USA the United States of KKK-A. Good work crackers....good job.

Comments

• bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What's wrong with learning about the history of their state?
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What's wrong with learning about the history of their state?

Nothing is wrong with learning about the history of a state, but to declare it Confederate History Month is crazy because it celebrates the deeds of a government that not only held slaves and oppressed them, but also fought against the Union. Slavery represents a huge stain that is still on this nation's back, and to celebrate this as some kind of good thing is really disgusting.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Why not declare April "Slavery Appreciation Month"? Same difference to me.......
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with learning about the history of a state, but to declare it Confederate History Month is crazy because it celebrates the deeds of a government that not only held slaves and oppressed them, but also fought against the Union. Slavery represents a huge stain that is still on this nation's back, and to celebrate this as some kind of good thing is really disgusting.

i agree. i'm sure they study about the holocaust and WWII in germany, but they would never dedicate a "? history month"
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i agree. i'm sure they study about the holocaust and WWII in germany, but they would never dedicate a "? history month"

Exactly, and I'm pretty sure the USA doesn't celebrate Columbus' birthday as a holiday.....err, wow they do.....wow. Damn.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Exactly, and I'm pretty sure the USA doesn't celebrate Columbus' birthday as a holiday.....err, wow they do.....wow. Damn.

He founded this great nation though supposedly its a big difference, America got its problems but we are all free to go back to Africa now lol. Even though the way we came was bs and wrong on so many levels, im glad im here now.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    bill o rielly probably goin visit a few high schools in the area
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    bill o rielly probably goin visit a few high schools in the area

Him, Rush, and Glenn Beck got fox already plannin a field trip
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Im so happy and delighted that white people all over Amerikkka are showing their true nature!!! You sick-minded rainbow-coalition ni99a's deserved a ni99a wake-up call and theres many more to come.

You better accept your own and be yourselves and quit trying to tame that Beast.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    SMH my little brother lives down in Virginia, now he's gotta put up with that ? . (shakes head again)
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What difference does it make?

There is nothing that happened under the confederate flag that did not happen under the American Flag.

Let them have their month.
  • _Ozymandias_
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    What difference does it make?

There is nothing that happened under the confederate flag that did not happen under the American Flag.

Let them have their month.

so if you were a black person living in VA you wouldn't mind your kids having to go to school and sit through a month worth celebrations honoring an institution that considered you less than human?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so if you were a black person living in VA you wouldn't mind your kids having to go to school and sit through a month worth celebrations honoring an institution that considered you less than human?

How is that any less different than public schools who honor slavemasters and genocidal tyrants who were not in the confederacy?

Heck the constitution labels you less than human, yet it is taught and maintained as the standard of civil jurisprudence.

See I don't make any difference between the Confederacy and the Union. Both treated Blacks with contempt

This is reactionary. The real issue is why after 130 years do you still have to protest to get what you want?

Black people will stay in an inferior non power wielding position as long as their actions are reactive and not proactive. This wouldn't even be an issue if we had done what Booker T, Marcus Garvey and others had suggested at the turn of the century. Develop your own institutions to service your needs. Educational integration has proven to be a cruel hoax. Schools are worse and children are less literate and prepared for the world than ever before.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How is that any less different than public schools who honor slavemasters and genocidal tyrants who were not in the confederacy?

Heck the constitution labels you less than human, yet it is taught and maintained as the standard of civil jurisprudence.

See I don't make any difference between the Confederacy and the Union. Both treated Blacks with contempt

This is reactionary. The real issue is why after 130 years do you still have to protest to get what you want?

Black people will stay in an inferior non power wielding position as long as their actions are reactive and not proactive. This wouldn't even be an issue if we had done what Booker T, Marcus Garvey and others had suggested at the turn of the century. Develop your own institutions to service your needs. Educational integration has proven to be a cruel hoax. Schools are worse and children are less literate and prepared for the world than ever before.

All excellent points but the Civil Rights movement did improve the situation for blacks, especially compared to the 1930s and 60s. Poverty is down dramatically, employment is up dramatically, and blacks now have more resources compared to back in the day. I do agree with you strongly that integration has been highly overrated, we blacks should have kept building our OWN institutions, rather than be integrated into a racist system (or formerly racist system, whatever floats ya'll boat). Booker T Washington and other black scholars had it right when they said blacks should build up our own ? before we rely on any white man's structure.

With that being said, could you picture Germany having a ? Appreciation Month? Do you think Jews would be happy about that? Why should blacks be happy about Confederate History Month when the Confederates were blatantly fighting to keep slavery?

Of course the Union was not much better, but at least they abolished slavery in the Confederate states. If it was up to the Confederacy, slavery would still exist today.
  • _Ozymandias_
    edited April 2010
    Options

there are a lot of people and events in american history that supported unjust ideals, but i don't have a problem with learning about them. i do have a problem with celebrating them. we studied the constitution, slavery, and the civil war in school but at no time(at least at the schools i went to) did my teachers glorify and celebrate those parts in our history that clearly can't be justified. you learn about the horrors of the past so that you won't be subject to reliving them. but studying the confederacy and celebrating it are two different things.

and i agree with you that our current education system doesn't always teach real knowledge, but allowing an elective official to make the decision to glorify a rebellion based on the idea of hatred and oppression is just teaching another generation of kids that a corrupt, dishonest, and racist system is acceptable.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well, perhaps it's splitting hairs, but the CSA had much more of an "every black dude should be a slave" mentality than the Union. yes, i am aware that the Union was not exactly founded on an anti-slavery basis, but the CSA was still worse.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I saw a black guy with a confederate flag on his back one time. He was in some sort of Union in Virginia. I nearly ? in my restaurant seat right there at subway when I saw that.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I live in Northern VA. I don't see this making much of a difference here considering most of the people around my area are nonwhite immigrants.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sounds funny to me. Lets see who shows up.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Virginia failed
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It does say to celebrate in the doctrine in addition to studying the ? ...

why do ? get 28dayz and traitors get 30

Having issued a statement celebrating the Confederacy, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell promptly backtracked with regard to an omission in the original statement, announcing: "“The proclamation issued by this Office designating April as Confederate History Month contained a major omission. The failure to include any reference to slavery was a mistake, and for that I apologize to any fellow Virginian who has been offended or disappointed. The abomination of slavery divided our nation, deprived people of their ? -given inalienable rights, and led to the Civil War. Slavery was an evil, vicious and inhumane practice which degraded human beings to property, and it has left a stain on the soul of this state and nation. In 2007, the Virginia General Assembly approved a formal statement of “profound regret” for the Commonwealth’s history of slavery, which was the right thing to do."

Oh I stay in VA as well
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Not a good look for VA at all.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    He founded this great nation though supposedly its a big difference, America got its problems but we are all free to go back to Africa now lol. Even though the way we came was bs and wrong on so many levels, im glad im here now.

Columbus was not the founder of sh*t here. How did he find something that was already inhabited?

We built this sh*t...why should we go back?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited April 2010
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    Columbus was not the founder of sh*t here. How did he find something that was already inhabited?

We built this sh*t...why should we go back?

He is the one who founded what is known as America. Yea Native Americans were here way before but without Columbus this country wouldnt be what it is. It aint hard if people dont like it here go somewhere else, go to a third world country and see how ? is livin, go to Europe and see how ? is treated. We have it good here better than anywhere else in the world. The constitution is the greatest thing ever written in the history of mankind, do the people in power ? ? up of course, but America at its worst these days is still better than any other country.