Beyonce: Legend Or F#cking Overrated?...

Options

Comments

• Curtwill
    Curtwill Members Posts: 7
    edited May 2010
    Options
    blatin35 wrote: »
    Those are throw away songs that wont be remembered.
    Ego, Diva and Get me bodied are horrible songs.
    Me, Myself and I is the best song in your list but it wont be remembered.
    Halo, If I were a Boy and Deja Vu were only good for the moment..

Wrong. What you don't understand is that Beyoncé is the Airplay ARTIST OF THE DECADE(according to Billboard). That means that most of her hits are hits because of the Radio and therefore IN TIME, these songs(You know those songs you say are forgettable) will be played. Not like they did when they first came out...but they will be played even on Oldies Stations. If Girls Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper are played on Oldies Stations just because it was a hit, Bey's songs will be too. More than you think.

BTW, Halo is her LONGEST CHARTING SONG EVER.
  • Curtwill
    edited May 2010
    Options
    CMac wrote: »
    It's still too early to say, I think it a couple of years if she gives up that pop hip hop club music ? and stick to that real RnB ? she will. Girl got mad talent but she waste it on that main stream pop radio ? .

And then she would be Alicia and 'em while not setting herself apart. LOL. Part of being a legend is having your own lane and working it. Beyoncé does it. Bey is the QUEEN of Hip Pop Soul. Not to mention she has BALLADS IN HER MUSICAL THAN UPTEMPOS. Not to mention, A BALLAD is Her biggest charting song. So she is more than just a "dance queen". But it's the predictable musical mindset(that I see on MBs everywhere) that songs have to be ballads in order to be "classic". LOL!!!!
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Curtwill wrote: »
    Wrong. What you don't understand is that Beyoncé is the Airplay ARTIST OF THE DECADE(according to Billboard). That means that most of her hits are hits because of the Radio and therefore IN TIME, these songs(You know those songs you say are forgettable) will be played. Not like they did when they first came out...but they will be played even on Oldies Stations. If Girls Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper are played on Oldies Stations just because it was a hit, Bey's songs will be too. More than you think.

BTW, Halo is her LONGEST CHARTING SONG EVER.

You can't be serious lol Oldies stations will not touch that ? in 10 years because they go by REAL request.. What 30 something year old is going to request Diva, Ego or Get me Bodied?
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Curtwill wrote: »
    Bey is the QUEEN of Hip Pop Soul.

You are really funny...lol
  • Honey D
    Honey D Members Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Legend? Hell no. And nowhere near being overrated either

Michael Jackson is a legend, Beyonce is a hard-worker, but she didn't come up with any innovations like Michael Jackson did.

You gotta understand that what distinguishes Beyonce from the rest of singers is her trying hard to be an icon. Other artists just want to sing, create music, it's work for them. Being a star seems the whole life for Bey.

You can't be serious lol Oldies stations will not touch that ? in 10 years because they go by REAL request.. What 30 something year old is going to request Diva, Ego or Get me Bodied?
    Yes, you got the point, because after DIL release Beyonce got sooo much hype, that she could release straight up garbage and it still would be played and she still would get awards for that.

Truth is, it's the person/executive/entertainer that Bey is that makes her what she is right now. And yes, her looks play like 70% part in that. There's a reason why she got plastic surgeries when she came out solo. Her talent is optional, however yeah, her voice is kinda signature.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ill take overrated for 1,000 alex.......................
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Overrated? Not at all. Beyonce is a very talented artist, and I respect what she's accomplished.

Legend? No. Legends are people who are trailblazers and innovators and who do things that push the music forward.

Basically, you're talking Beatles, Michael Jackson, Prince, Stevie Wonder, and folks of that ilk. Beyonce is not on their level.

She's sold a lot of records. So did New Kids On The Block. That doesn't qualify her for legendary status. Right now, she is an icon. If she wants to be a legend, she's going to need to take chances,creatively speaking, and allow her music to evolve. That's what all of the above named people who ARE legends did.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    She is overrated, she can get annoying after awhile, did anybody notice that most of her hits lately sounded the same and talked about the same subject?
    She can seem a bit stuck up at times and most of her hits lately were written by other people.
    Isn't she suppose to be this great song writer like when she was in Destiny's Child? But she still gets songs written by others and don't give them their credit.
  • the0ne
    the0ne Members Posts: 19
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • Curtwill
    edited May 2010
    Options

Many of them....

In fact, her FAN BASE is 18 to 30 years old and they grow with her as she grows. Not to mention, as I said, if Girls wanna to have fun can get play on Oldies Stations, then so will many of Bey's songs. And I didn't use Diva, Ego or GMB either. Bey has many songs that she has impacted the industry with.

Also...if Bey is not the Queen of Hip Pop Soul then who is? It's one thing for YOU not to like her music, but the reality is...there are MILLIONS who dig what she does and will continue.
  • gamezpog
    gamezpog Members Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Legend. nuff said. Her track record speaks for itself.
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    What I don't get is, why some people go so far as to lower the standard to make someone a legend. If there's truly none to be called a "legend" during a certain period of time, then leave a blank, at least, for the moment. Beyonce does not deserve the title. Not now, at least. Time is running out, tho. If she keeps it up like this, I mean, like being content with selling products rather than developing herself artistically, then it's a wrap, even if she continues to be a cash cow for another 10 years from now on.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Bumped...............
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yall need to give the chick room to grow too, yall act like Whitney wasn't making "I wanna dance with somebody" and Diana Ross wasn't making "Im coming out". It's pretty obvious her music is starting to head into the more mature side with tracks like FLAWS AND ALL, HALO,etc. Overall i just don't think she will be one of those cliche sounding (baby why did u cheat, men aint ? , etc) type singers, she is bigger than being just a r and b artist, that's for mfs like Keysha Cole, etc.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Yall need to give the chick room to grow too, yall act like Whitney wasn't making "I wanna dance with somebody" and Diana Ross wasn't making "Im coming out". It's pretty obvious her music is starting to head into the more mature side with tracks like FLAWS AND ALL, HALO,etc. Overall i just don't think she will be one of those cliche sounding (baby why did u cheat, men aint ? , etc) type singers, she is bigger than being just a r and b artist, that's for mfs like Keysha Cole, etc.

Dangerously-In-Love.jpg

You remember this album don't you?...

She hasn't bettered this album so far...

Good for her bank account though...
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

Time to grow? How long she been in the game?

Beyonce makes horrible music, period.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options

LMAO..........Dsdd..
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options

She has released 3 albums, plus why the ? do yall hold her to this rediculous standard anyways. If she was to make traditional r and b she would essentially lose who she is and become another r and b singer who doesn't stand out. Beyonce has her lane, who cares what some elitist r and b fans think, they act like everything is suppose to sound like Sade or Anita Baker.

I see nothing wrong with making eclectic music, after all we are eclectic people. No one is depressed,in love, angry, or ? 24/7
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Why was this thread bumped again??? Who the ? think she's a legend other then her stans and fans??
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    She has released 3 albums, plus why the ? do yall hold her to this rediculous standard anyways. If she was to make traditional r and b she would essentially lose who she is and become another r and b singer who doesn't stand out. Beyonce has her lane, who cares what some elitist r and b fans think, they act like everything is suppose to sound like Sade or Anita Baker.

I see nothing wrong with making eclectic music, after all we are eclectic people. No one is depressed,in love, angry, or ? 24/7

LMAO at Bey being eclectic...
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LMAO at Bey being eclectic...

Well when you whole album have different sounds and topic, that is called eclectic, but i am sure you would rather her make a whole album whining about a ? Mary J Blige style
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Both, even though her music now sucks. She's trying to go the pop route instead of making music that shows vocal talent....thanks JayZ (lol).
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well when you whole album have different sounds and topic, that is called eclectic, but i am sure you would rather her make a whole album whining about a ? Mary J Blige style

You know what I feel...

Bey is smart... she knows she's made a name for herself, a brand... so whatever she puts out is gonna be consumed whole... wack or not

Just like her hubby...

Even the late MJ put in the effort despite him being a multi million selling brand...
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Dangerously-In-Love.jpg

You remember this album don't you?...

She hasn't bettered this album so far...

Good for her bank account though...
    Dangerously In Love is her worst album to date....y'all like it because it was the closet the modern R&B she's ever gotten to.
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The funny ? is, for all the people who are ? about her music selection, there are millions praising it. It comes down to making music the appease the smaller elitist traditional fans or making music for mass consumption. Personally i would say f u to the elitist fans because their taste is too picky for me plus smart artist never want to pigeonhole themselves, that's how you fall off or get boxed in.