Beyonce: Legend Or F#cking Overrated?...

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    Everyone knows Janet is not a "? " thats why she makes the music that she does and keeps to her respective range...You don't see her trying to make Whitney Houston type ballads or even sing national anthem at events she knows her limits and stands by them and still comes out classics a majority of her hits are uptempo tracks for a reason, if you hadn't noticed..... Yeah Dream Street and her self titled albums went no where really, but who's denying that? Just like how Beyonce tried to branch off into her solo career before 'Crazy In Love' with those wack ass Austin Powers/Fighting Temptations singles that flopped ridiculously. Please lets not compare Janet's music or her career to Beyonce's, because that would be hilarious.

If Janet Jackson is not a singer why are we even having this discussion. LOL at you pointing out songs that aren't even her official singles, flopping is what Jonalle Monae is doing right now, it's what all those Neo Soul artist yall dickride do,etc. Flopping is what Janets Jackson first two and last couple of albums did, we are talking about artist who can actually sing, has Janet Jackson ever even written a song in her life. Man please, we are talking about people who can sing.
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    inia wrote: »
    Since when being a legend mean putting out products people wanna hear? Wow, seriously. Beyonce wishes to be a leader, but in fact she's a follower. If anything, she's been one of the dominant leaders in selling her image. I give you that.

Name a legendary artist with music that isn't known my many fans. LOL at Beyonce wishes to be a leader, if she wasn't one, we wouldn't have yall ? creating threads and every other artist wouldn't be compared to her. I don't see nobody creating threads about A Keys, Rihanna,etc. Every damn thing is, so and so is better than Beyonce. If Image sold, Keri Hilson would be platinum, Teirra Marie would be platinum, etc. I love how you assess her success her image with why she is successful, but there are plenty of artist who is just as attractive but don't get the respect or have the talent.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    If Janet Jackson is not a singer why are we even having this discussion. LOL at you pointing out songs that aren't even her official singles, flopping is what Jonalle Monae is doing right now, it's what all those Neo Soul artist yall dickride do,etc. Flopping is what Janets Jackson first two and last couple of albums did, we are talking about artist who can actually sing, has Janet Jackson ever even written a song in her life. Man please, we are talking about people who can sing.
    Name a legendary artist with music that isn't known my many fans. LOL at Beyonce wishes to be a leader, if she wasn't one, we wouldn't have yall ? creating threads and every other artist wouldn't be compared to her. I don't see nobody creating threads about A Keys, Rihanna,etc. Every damn thing is, so and so is better than Beyonce. If Image sold, Keri Hilson would be platinum, Teirra Marie would be platinum, etc. I love how you assess her success her image with why she is successful, but there are plenty of artist who is just as attractive but don't get the respect or have the talent.

If she was that 'great' as you say she is... you wouldn't be up in this thread defending her ass so much, no?

You'd prolly be laughing at the thread...
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    If she was that 'great' as you say she is... you wouldn't be up in this thread defending her ass so much, no?

You'd prolly be laughing at the thread...

Don't try that reverse psychology mess with me, yall are the ones tryna convince yall self and others she aint no legend. Her accomplishments speak for themselves, yall just sounding like Keri Hilson talking about go have some babies or something. lol Tell someone to taker her spot then if they think they are better.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited August 2010
    Options

The thread title says "Legend or Overrated". Where does it say "Beyonce is the best singer who can sing better than her"? Please point that out to me..... because it was brought up that the Janet of the 80s/90s is Beyonce of today or some ridiculous ? like that.....not sure where you got the singing ? from bro. Singing wise its laughable to mention Beyonce is the same breathe as the Whitney's, Mariah's, Mary's, Kelly Price, etc... but as being a legend, having impact, changing the game, etc. she should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Ms. Jackson which was my original point, If you read my post you would see that I dont mentioning singing at all, because everyone knows Janet has a paper thin soft voice that she uses well to her advantage.

And lets be honest flopping is what Beyonce was scared of doing when her last album dropped. Like really, since when do you make a double album with 5 songs on each disc? Really Beyonce? She had to make it double album to double her sales when its really one album being sold, but each album counts as 2 discs sold....with 5 songs each on it. She should of released two EP's to be honest, but she thinks she's smart.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Don't try that reverse psychology mess with me, yall are the ones tryna convince yall self and others she aint no legend. Her accomplishments speak for themselves, yall just sounding like Keri Hilson talking about go have some babies or something. lol Tell someone to taker her spot then if they think they are better.

LOL... time and again I've highlighted her achievements

Now the question I put out with the thread is... is her music worth the recognition she gets? Because all the ? I hear from her as singles almost sound the same...
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The thread title says "Legend or Overrated". Where does it say "Beyonce is the best singer who can sing better than her"? Please point that out to me..... because it was brought up that the Janet of the 80s/90s is Beyonce of today or some ridiculous ? like that.....not sure where you got the singing ? from bro. Singing wise its laughable to mention Beyonce is the same breathe as the Whitney's, Mariah's, Mary's, Kelly Price, etc... but as being a legend, having impact, changing the game, etc. she should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Ms. Jackson which was my original point, If you read my post you would see that I dont mentioning singing at all, because everyone knows Janet has a paper thin soft voice that she uses well to her advantage.

And lets be honest flopping is what Beyonce was scared of doing when her last album dropped. Like really, since when do you make a double album with 5 songs on each disc? Really Beyonce? She had to make it double album to double her sales when its really one album being sold, but each album counts as 2 discs sold....with 5 songs each on it. She should of released two EP's to be honest, but she thinks she's smart.

LOL at yall don't compare Beyonce to her peers, yall ? have to go all the way back to washed up legends from the past. No one is Whitney and Mariah, not even the pure r and b singers today that yall covet so much. Why do yall judge Beyonce against them and no one else (India Arie, Goapele,Janelle Monae, Amel Larreux,etc) gets compared to Mariah,Whitney,etc. Then again Whitney,Mariah,Mary and definetly not Kelly Price big ass can't do what beyonce can do (all around artist). LOL at changing the game with Janet, she was a water down version of her brother, and wasn't even the biggest female artist of her era. Who right now is putting on live shows like Beyonce while STILL SINGING LIVE, damn sure aint Janet Jackson and her lipsyncing ass.

LOL a double album is only consider a double album if it's longer than 80 minutes, so everything you just typed is complete ? nonsense. If she wanted it to be counted as a double album the playing time wouldn't be so short, so try again. It only counted as a single album sales wise, you have any more excuses now.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    LOL a double album is only consider a double album if it's longer than 80 minutes, so everything you just typed is complete ? nonsense. If she wanted it to be counted as a double album the playing time wouldn't be so short, so try again. It only counted as a single album sales wise, you have any more excuses now.

But why did she release that as a double disc? Totally unnecessary...
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    But why did she release that as a double disc? Totally unnecessary...

She said one is the real her, the intimate side (I am) and the other side is for the fans (Sasha Fierce). People have concept albums all the time, what difference does it make. It seems like mfs are nitpicking.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    She said one is the real her, the intimate side (I am) and the other side is for the fans (Sasha Fierce). People have concept albums all the time, what difference does it make. It seems like mfs are nitpicking.

I get the gist... I heard her explaining that

Thing is the album woulda flowed better if she dropped it as a single disc... IMO

To me I Am had your slow ballads (real her) and Sasha Fierce had the ? uptempo songs (for fans)... which is which?
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I get the gist... I heard her explaining that

Thing is the album woulda flowed better if she dropped it as a single disc... IMO

To me I Am had your slow ballads (real her) and Sasha Fierce had the ? uptempo songs (for fans)... which is which?

No way in hell would the album of flowed better as one piece of work with uptempo and slow ballads.
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    LOL... time and again I've highlighted her achievements

Now the question I put out with the thread is... is her music worth the recognition she gets? Because all the ? I hear from her as singles almost sound the same...

So tell me who deserves the recognization then, Lady Gaga or is it gonna be the predictable Neo Soul artists. lol
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So tell me who deserves the recognization then, Lady Gaga or is it gonna be the predictable Neo Soul artists. lol

Well... Bey jumped on a chance to do tracks with her after she done blown up...?

Tell me that ain't good ringtone money...
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well... Bey jumped on a chance to do tracks with her after she done blown up...?

Tell me that ain't good ringtone money...

So are you gonna answer the question?
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So are you gonna answer the question?

What question? LOL...
  • mrjun18
    edited August 2010
    Options
    LOL at yall don't compare Beyonce to her peers, yall ? have to go all the way back to washed up legends from the past. No one is Whitney and Mariah, not even the pure r and b singers today that yall covet so much. Why do yall judge Beyonce against them and no one else (India Arie, Goapele,Janelle Monae, Amel Larreux,etc) gets compared to Mariah,Whitney,etc. Then again Whitney,Mariah,Mary and definetly not Kelly Price big ass can't do what beyonce can do (all around artist). LOL at changing the game with Janet, she was a water down version of her brother, and wasn't even the biggest female artist of her era. Who right now is putting on live shows like Beyonce while STILL SINGING LIVE, damn sure aint Janet Jackson and her lipsyncing ass.

Again read the thread title......"Legend or overrated" We are talking about if Beyonce is a legend here or not..... So when we talk about "legends". We talk about Whitney, Janet, Mariah etc. we dont bring up Monica, Ciara and Ashanti cause they are not legends.... nobody is bringing up "the past".... we are bringing up legends. Isn't that what we are discussing and what the thread title says? If we were to ask if Kobe is a legend we wouldnt be comparing him to Vince Carter, Paul Pierce etc...We'd bring up Magic, MJ, etc. compare and contrast and have a discussion.

As as for Kelly Price that was in reference to "sangers"..If you really read what I wrote....

Beyonce is what? 30? Yes she's putting on live shows and all. Janet been in the game bout 30+yrs ....so you really cant expect her to be doing the same thing non-stop like she's a 30 yr old Beyonce....but yet Janet is in her mid 40's and is still putting on big shows here and there. She just headlined the Essence festival last month so at least give her some props. Okay so Beyonce is doing big shows and ? ....Janet was 30 around the Velvet Rope...era....wasnt she not doing the same big as shows as Beyonce is doing now, for that 1997 era?? C'mon be serious playa.

LOL @ Janet NOT changing the game....Im not even gonna start on that one. And to say Janet is not the biggest artst of her era is arguable....Janet, Whitney, Madonna and Mariah are the big four from that era. So either way even if she was at the bottom of that big four with all the career achievements and classics she has on her back, really shows how much of an era that was in terms of good music and competition.

Beyonce's lucky she has not much real mainstream competition like Janet (Madonna, Boyz II Men, Whitney, Mariah, Celine etc.) had in her day, and how times have changed in terms of R&B/POP being so dominant in the mainstream more than ever before. She should be grateful for that.
  • mrjun18
    edited August 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Dont know how yall consider her overrated.... lets look at the accomplishments shall we ?

- sold 12 mil worldwide on her first solo album Dangerously In Love OKAY...I give her props for her sale sand success, but the music aint saying much
    - coined nuff words in the dictionary (bootylicious for example) this makes her a legend? B.G made up the word "bling bling" which is now in the dictionary....he's a legend too?
    - signature dances swept the masses OKAY, not sure how this makes her a legend though...
    - became the standard of beauty for black AND white women across the world This is true...after Halle Berry went down a bit after the early 2000's...
    - married the G.O.A.T Marrying a rapper makes you a legend?
    - Lead member of Destiny's Child which is today regarded as the World's Best Selling female group Best selling group Have you heard of the Spice Girls? Or TLC?
    - immense commercial success Yes she does....
    - distinctive singing ability & got dayum boy can she hit a note She can sing, but many other singers can blow her out the water....but her voice is cool i guess.
    - has a networth of 315 million dollars (although Forbes said it was $115M - still no chump change) Puff Daddy is worth almost a billion....is he a legend?
    - stars in good movies besides dream girls, that etta james ? and that austin powers movie, all them other ? shes been in are forgettable. fighting temptations? pink panther. lol cmon...
    - multiple grammy award winner (is there a female with more ? or to be can u name another black woman with more) everyone knows the grammys have turned into a joke...i'll give a pass here but a grammy award dont mean ? anymore.....its a popularity contest.
    - positive role model somewhat

& man the list goes on & on lol

As for being a legend I think so, I dont understand why people say she still needs some years under her belt meanwhile Pac was 25 & Big blew up in 4 years and both of them are regarded as legends (thats what 6 & 4 years apiece ?).... Beyonce swept the nation when she first came out, became a standard of beauty thats considered "unattainable" & "unrealistic" , created classics that are forever locked into the museum of pop culture (bootylicious, survivor, crazy in love, irreplacable & more) ANNND she's married to jigga ? shhhiiiieeettt yup thats legendary status alright. Either broads hate her or love her u cannot deny we haven't seen an artist like Beyonce in decades w/ parallel success and musical capabilities.

'crazy in love' is the only song you mentioned that can be argued a classic (even though i dont consider it myself, i can see why someone else would) *dead* @ "to the left to the left" and "bootylicious" being classics.....

we talking about being classified as a legend here and ppl are bring up how many zeros appear on beyonce's paycheck, who she is married to, what movie she been in and what word she made up. i
    last time i checked i dont remember patti labelle marrying a ? from kool and the gang, tina turner earning 50 million dollar paychecks, or anita baker starring in boyz n da hood....

ya'll are funny man. real funny. smh.....
  • mrjun18
    edited August 2010
    Options
    At any point where u cant draw a comparison in present times to contrast someone's success or claim to be a legend & as a result use past artists... that means they are in those ranks. Boyz II Men, Whitney & Mariah all had their successes but still for Beyonce to be in those ranks speaks volumes. & as far as im concerned Mariah is viable competition to her. usmarin3 spits the truth & even if she did have competition it still wouldnt have hindered the success shes had as she wouldve still done the same things shes done both musically & commercially and still have blown everyone out the water. Keep in mind Beyonce is only 28.... & look at all shes done. if thats not legendary then yall ? is haters. Janet was dope too & definitely pushed the bounds but comeon fam u cant seriously compare a lip synching artist w/ mediocore lyrics over amazing production & say she wouldve stumped an artist like Beyonce had they both arrived on the scene at the same time. Janet was lucky she was Michael Jackson's younger sister....

its clear beyonce aint overrated & evident that she is a legend. Name me 5 artists that at her age have attained the level of success shes had & done all she has for pop culture....

so because she was michael's younger sister she was successful? how come rebbie, latoya and jermaine jackson aint have successful careers? her music made a point. she wasnt the best vocalist but her music made a point, is timeless and was still successful. she stayed in her lane and didnt try to oversing. thats one of the reasons why i respect her.

how many artists can make a club dance number one hit anthem that talks about rasicm, equality and social injustice...? i'd like to see beyonce do that...i really wish she would but she tends to make a majority of her songs about the same subject....always on that "i dont need a man" type of ? . "im a survivor"...."pay my bills bills bills"......"All my independent woman" ... "put everything in the box to the left" ...... "put a ring on it"...etc....

and mediocre lyrics? your gonna mention wack lyrics and defend beyonce of all people? really?!!!?!?
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited August 2010
    Options
    - coined nuff words in the dictionary (bootylicious for example) this makes her a legend? B.G made up the word "bling bling" which is now in the dictionary....he's a legend too?

lol. Anyway....

She cannot be credited for make up bootylicious. Not even the person who wrote that song can claim that word. lol @ that being one of her great accomplishment. Trash rappers "coin" words everyday.

That's all I'm going to add to this drawn out discussion. Everyone pretty much has their minds made up. What more can you say after.........15 pages?
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If Beyonce died tomorrow she'd go down as THE greatest of all time. The woman is talented & has done sooo much - Beyonce Knowles is a legend.

NO... stop it homie

She even knows that ain't true LOL
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lol not sure what fam is on...with that one.

She makes good radio pop meaningless and easy "digestible" music

which in turns help her sale. But THAT's IT. That's she is good it and good for.

Because being a legend is more than just selling units yet being an empty shell built on marketing and (shallow) imagine.

And No...I don't feel she overrated, but she nor her music just does not carry the "soul" of what can or should be considered legendary.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    lol not sure what fam is on...with that one.

She makes good radio pop meaningless and easy "digestible" music

which in turns help her sale. But THAT's IT. That's she is good it and good for.

Because being a legend is more than just selling units yet being an empty shell built on marketing and (shallow) imagine.

And No...I don't feel she overrated, but she nor her music just does not carry the "soul" of what can or should be considered legendary.

Basically what 85% of posters on this thread agree on...
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You have to be high or very stupid.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Jackson click on each album and you will see all the songs Janet wrote. And I'm talking about REALLY WRITING A SONG AND NOT CHANGING A COUPLE OF WORDS LIKE THAT SONG THIEF BEYONCE..
  • TheKing203
    TheKing203 Banned Users Posts: 724
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Beyonce sucks.Yeah she has done alot that doesnt mean its all good.I dont care if you release alot of songs and movies if they all suck it doesnt matter
  • mrjun18
    edited August 2010
    Options
    no not necessarily the fact that her music is still what makes her legendary is something ur ignoring. irreplacable, me myself & i, baby boy, deja vu & many many others. see the thing w/ bringing up convos about legendary status is that ppl get real subjective & dont understand that personal opinion doesnt discredit the impact an artist has. ? is saying grammy's are a joke & that marrying jigga dont mean nothing smh. if u ask me the scale at which she did it only further solidifies her status, she has the sales, the music & the critical acclaim to back her music and talent. I brought up music but for a lot of ppl who feel shes overrated u always have to point to things outside of the music to show them otherwise & if they dont accept that they just dont like her. Her songs are forever etched into the walls of pop culture along the likes of michael jackson, prince, patti labelle, whitney houston & anyone else. Whether you like her or not she is a legend and shes proven herself.

this post reminds me of that thread made where dude was saying how come ? feel only underground artists or ? who have something to say about real issues denote an intelligent listener.

thing is the general public dictated her success early on. shes set in as a diva, world artist & a mega star - thats her image. if she made a song tomorrow about social inequality there'd be a disconnect with her audience, thats not to say she cant do it but hey if it aint broke dont fix it, shes not obligated to do so therefore it doesnt make her any less of a legend.

If ur talking about janet - she could do that b/c of the time she came up in & the amount of controversy that surrounded her and her family. & real talk when they were first promoting her she was billed as Michael jackson's younger sister, he used to come out to her shows, pop up in interviews with her & even wrote that they had the closest relationship. the other family members had personal issues & were living joe jackson's dreams not their own but thats a diff't thread. At the end of the day this is about whether or not Beyonce is a legend, Janet has already carved her own path so shes irrelevant in discussion. Beyonce on the other hand is only 28 & has amassed all i said above. If u still dont think shes a legend then u prolly dont like her. ppl are saying she still has a way to go well wat else does she need to do ? shes beaten records, grammys, sales, money, amazing personal life, has the GOAT as her husband & is the most powerful couple in entertainment, has the talent, can sing, dance, has cemented her place in pop culture, has her own words (u brought up BG but it was wayne who coined the word & as far as im concerned the hot boys & cash money are considered a legendary southern group) is the standard of beauty to attain and sooo much more im probably missing. By no means is she overrated. Beyonce Knowles is a Legend. People cant even compare her to her peers they have to use the likes of janet jackson, whitney, mariah, labelle, ross, turner, franklin, etc. If ppl will give legendary status to artists like Selena, big & pac (given the length of time they lived) and even the above mentioned names then i cant see why Bey "isn't" a legend when shes done more than they have in her short time in the game for her era.

If Beyonce died tomorrow she'd go down as THE greatest of all time. The woman is talented & has done sooo much - Beyonce Knowles is a legend.

Theres nothing much more to say really after this post...you still keep coming up with her being a legend because she married Jay-z (who is not even the GOAT), has money sales and grammys (which also applies to artists like Nelly, 50 Cent, N'SYNC etc) I dont hear anything like 'she broke barriers', 'she was a great songwriter', 'she was an instrumentalist/had great musicianship', the mentioning of significant or important memorable songs/albums that will go down in history', 'classics' , etc... I mean you can call her a great entertainer and she looks good, dances and has hits to her name and all that.... but a legend? lol. ? please. I mean i hate to bring it up again, but for example when we ask why whitney is a legend, the first things that come to mind aint 'she married bobby brown', 'clive davis signed her for a 30 million dollar contract', and 'she won a grammy'......we mention her powerful unique distinct voice, her classic debut album, her success of course too, classic songs that broke records and changed the game, barriers she broke for black women in popular music., etc. and the list goes on...

And then you say if Beyonce made a song about "social injustice" or something similar there would be a disconnect with her audience? Not exactly true.....Michael Jackson was singing about Billie Jean, and Pretty Young Things in the 80's...by the time he dropped Dangerous in 1991, he did songs like Heal The World, and Keep The Faith etc.... I guess there was a disconecct there huh? The same way En Vogue made Free Your Mind after Hold On, Lies, My Lovin etc....I guess there was a disconnect there too right? My point is, its not mandatory for her to do them type of songs, but she is capable of doing so or just for her to be making better songs with good diverse subject matter is a problem I have with her. She has all the power in her hand to sing about whatever she wants especially since she's been at the top of the game for a minute now and whatever she sings about will sell regardless because of the image she has built for herself.

And Janet, Mariah and them are relevant in this discussion, not sure why your are saying there are not.....If we are talking about legends here and seeing if Beyonce qualifies as one...why should I bring up ppl like Keri Hilson and Keyshia Cole in this discussion and not Janet and Anita Baker in a legend discussion? And not saying that she is just yet, but I can say Alicia Keys is more of a legend than Beyonce at this point. Easily.

Beyonce THEE greatest of all time if she died to today? lol....yeah okay.....so your saying they'd put her over MJ, stevie, luther and them? Thats laughable. Dying puts just about anyone at a highter status than they were when they were alive, and Beyonce is no exceptionto that, she would be "called" one of the greatest artists of all time. But THEE best of all time? Cmon playa....The stanning is crazy my dude. A bit too much if you asked me.
    And LOL @ me being a one of your "debate killer victims" in your sig...

Oh and as far as the Janet thing goes she hated being linked to Michael, and wanted to separate themselves from each other....She wanted her own career...I know my Janet history. And she didnt make Rhythm Nation 1814 because of "contraversay surrounding her family"...not sure where you got that from...The record label told her to go in and make another Control, which she opposed to and took a risk to make an album that she was more interested in.... making an album with subject matter that dealt with what was happening in America at that time such as the ? epdemic era (though she specifically didnt talk about ? on her album). Listen to songs like State of The World, or The Knowledge to see what I'm talmbout.