Beyonce: Legend Or F#cking Overrated?...

Options

Comments

• Reina B
    Reina B Members Posts: 2,190 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    She a-ight. Never been a real fan of hers. But she is talented!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Nope, she puts out music that people want to hear, all artist make music for cash, that's why they sign to labels, put out videos and tour. I know you don't think they do it for free, Beyonce just happen to put out a product that people like. If she was grossly overrated, then people like Rihanna, Ciara, Keri Hilson,etc would all take her spot, but they can't, they can't do what she do.

A lot of wack artistes put out a lot of music people like and wanna hear, so... it don't mean jack ?

Like I've said throughout this thread... I appreciate and acknowledge her commercial success, popularity, sales and awards etc... then again that don't mean jack ? to me either

I'll be wrong and take an L if her current music (solo) stands the test of time say in the next 10 years...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    A lot of wack artistes put out a lot of music people like and wanna hear, so... it don't mean jack ?

Like I've said throughout this thread... I appreciate and acknowledge her commercial success, popularity, sales and awards etc... then again that don't mean jack ? to me either

I'll be wrong and take an L if her current music (solo) stands the test of time say in the next 10 years...

She has been in the game for almost 15 years dude, he music has stand the test of time. Yall act like she is some flash in the pants type of artist!
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    She has been in the game for almost 15 years dude, he music has stand the test of time. Yall act like she is some flash in the pants type of artist!

Fifteen years over half of those years with a group... she went solo in '02/'03

I know you're a big fan of both man and wife... so no need for further arguments LOL
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    she will be a legend cuz the whole world startin to love ha
  • Blazedadon87x
    Blazedadon87x Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i would say legend despite me not being a big fan...

nowadays she is just putting out music for the hell of it like on some Lil Wayne ?
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Fifteen years over half of those years with a group... she went solo in '02/'03

I know you're a big fan of both man and wife... so no need for further arguments LOL

Lets not act like she wasn't the lead singer and face of Destiny's Child, it's like ignoring Diana Ross's work with the Supremes. What me being a fan of has nothing to do with ? , it's about your lack of objectivity. Do we need to name all the artist who has come and gone while was here.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Beyonce may be a legend in this generation, but that says more about our times than the quality of the music she puts out.

Beyonce is the most overrated singer of our times, her albums are mediocre and her songs basically follow the same formula. She will never be as adored as the likes of Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, Chaka Khan and co because she simply does not make music i can consider timeless, she follows conventions of a now redundant music industry where artists like Kesha and Katie Perry can become big.

There are other artists like Erykah Badu, India Arie and Alicia Keys who deserve credit for making timeless meaningful music, Beyonce is yet to drop an album that could match Songs In The Minor, beautiful soulful music with a conscious theme.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    Beyonce may be a legend in this generation, but that says more about our times than the quality of the music she puts out.

Beyonce is the most overrated singer of our times, her albums are mediocre and her songs basically follow the same formula. She will never be as adored as the likes of Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, Chaka Khan and co because she simply does not make music i can consider timeless, she follows conventions of a now redundant music industry where artists like Kesha and Katie Perry can become big.

There are other artists like Erykah Badu, India Arie and Alicia Keys who deserve credit for making timeless meaningful music, Beyonce is yet to drop an album that could match Songs In The Minor, beautiful soulful music with a conscious theme.

Co-sign...

There seems to be only one or two objectors in this thread... LOL

Glad people appreciate and feel timeless music...
  • jennifer.bush*
    jennifer.bush* Members Posts: 551
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Beyonce aint oversaturated, wanna know who is oversaturated, Lady Gaga. I don't see how ? knock shorty, when she has worked her ass off for everything while her white counterparts (Britney, Christina,etc) were handed everything or came up through Disney. I still don't think she has reached her peak yet, i think she is heading there.
    c.

yea b/c busting your ass doing disney @ 11 is a piece of cake when it puts food for your fam right? Plz no one can hand u two diamond cds like britney had,she worked for it

it's now after her past work that @ 28 she can drop a single and do no promo and it can hit #1 ("3"), that is legend status. beyonce is no legend
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    [/B]

yea b/c busting your ass doing disney @ 11 is a piece of cake when it puts food for your fam right? Plz no one can hand u two diamond cds like britney had,she worked for it

it's now after her past work that @ 28 she can drop a single and do no promo and it can hit #1 ("3"), that is legend status. beyonce is no legend

Shut your ass up, tell Britney SPears to go make a damn song without the autotune assisting her nonsinging ass, how the ? do you go your whole career using autotune. No wonder why the Grammy's and other serious musical entities don't take her ass seriously. We all know that MTV was pushing that waterdown blue eyed soul bs with Britney,Christina,NSYNC,and Backstreet Boys, those pink toes never had to work as hard as black artist had to work to get the same respect. It takes a remarkable black talent to crossover to mainstream America while it takes an average white talent to do so, even then the white artist will always get the most push (Lady Gag and Eminem).

Britney SPears is a Disney and record label creating, ? barely moves below her waste when she dances, uses autotune when singing and lipsync when she performs live. Seriously, what does this ? do well, other than make bubblegum ditties. The ? ? has had a better career than hers.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BTW, you don't have to ask the board. There is a countless # of artists from the Indie curcuit to the LEGENDS that have already co-signed, praised, and stanned for Beyonce.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I personally I think shes overrated but if you let the music industry and most of the world tell it Beyonce is a legend. To me her music far as her beats and songs sound all the same to me and some of the ? she puts out really ? on men in general. Single Ladies & Soldier anyone?
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Shut your ass up, tell Britney SPears to go make a damn song without the autotune assisting her nonsinging ass, how the ? do you go your whole career using autotune. No wonder why the Grammy's and other serious musical entities don't take her ass seriously. We all know that MTV was pushing that waterdown blue eyed soul bs with Britney,Christina,NSYNC,and Backstreet Boys, those pink toes never had to work as hard as black artist had to work to get the same respect. It takes a remarkable black talent to crossover to mainstream America while it takes an average white talent to do so, even then the white artist will always get the most push (Lady Gag and Eminem).

Britney SPears is a Disney and record label creating, ? barely moves below her waste when she dances, uses autotune when singing and lipsync when she performs live. Seriously, what does this ? do well, other than make bubblegum ditties. The ? ? has had a better career than hers.
    Why should i shut up? b/c i made sense? It's clear u haven't heard any britney songs, she didn't use autotune until pieces of me. If u goona make a claim then be right. and she has been up for grammy many times ranging from best artist to pop vocal..and she won for best dance record 04........

and u talking about People in the biz don't take here serious but Micheal and Madonna and janet would disagree as well as her countless fans. the king and queen of pop have praised her and sang with her. so sorry u lie

the point is when as this moment u can lipsync and walk and sell more tour dates than beyonce then that says something about u, it say people LOVE u and u have reached a special status
  • garv
    edited August 2010
    Options
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    BTW, you don't have to ask the board. There is a countless # of artists from the Indie curcuit to the LEGENDS that have already co-signed, praised, and stanned for Beyonce.

Like who exactly?

They probably admire her work-ethic, but when it comes to the songs and album she has dropped since her solo career took off she has been average to say the least.
  • garv
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Why should i shut up? b/c i made sense? It's clear u haven't heard any britney songs, she didn't use autotune until pieces of me. If u goona make a claim then be right. and she has been up for grammy many times ranging from best artist to pop vocal..and she won for best dance record 04........

and u talking about People in the biz don't take here serious but Micheal and Madonna and janet would disagree as well as her countless fans. the king and queen of pop have praised her and sang with her. so sorry u lie

the point is when as this moment u can lipsync and walk and sell more tour dates than beyonce then that says something about u, it say people LOVE u and u have reached a special status

Britney Spears..............Briney Spears?

Are you deluded, the ? don't have talent, certainly not more than Beyonce. Her voice is horrible, she can barely dance and her songs are incredibly mediocre.
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited August 2010
    Options
    yes, it's BRITNEY ? !!!!!! not Briney

she has talent, beyonce thinks so. it doesn't what u think, the fans done spoke and britney stay winning . that is why her tour sold more than bey and she did less dates

and wtf is single ladies if not mediocre. stop acting like bey puts classics out
  • garv
    edited August 2010
    Options
    yes, it's BRITNEY ? !!!!!! not Briney

she has talent, beyonce thinks so. it doesn't what u think, the fans done spoke and britney stay winning . that is why her tour sold more than bey and she did less dates

and wtf is single ladies if not mediocre. stop acting like bey puts classics out

I never said Beyonce puts classics out, but Britney is a very talentless artist. I don't care about her tour dates or her popularity at the height of her stardom, she is a mediocre singer, dance and songwriter and thats it.
  • Scarface!
    Scarface! Banned Users Posts: 551
    edited August 2010
    Options
    beyonce seems like a ?
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Beyonce is the equivalent to Janet Jackson in the 80s and early 90s she has that it factor right now.

when has beyonce dropped 7 top 5 billboard hot 100 singles off the same album?

when has beyonce dropped serious songs like 'living in a world they didnt make' or 'rhythm nation'?

when has beyonce ever had an album or two sell 6 million copies or more?

when has beyonce ever dropped an album that was even considered a near-classic?

when has beyonce......forget it, i'll stop. please dont put janet and beyonce in the same sentence....there is no equivalent to the 80s/90s janet right now.... not beyonce, not nobody. its sickening.
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    when has beyonce dropped 7 top 5 billboard hot 100 singles off the same album?

when has beyonce dropped serious songs like 'living in a world they didnt make' or 'rhythm nation'?

when has beyonce ever had an album or two sell 6 million copies or more?

when has beyonce ever dropped an album that was even considered a near-classic?

when has beyonce......forget it, i'll stop. please dont put janet and beyonce in the same sentence....there is no equivalent to the 80s/90s janet right now.... not beyonce, not nobody. its sickening.

When has Janet Jackson ever hit a note, and not mumble on a track. lol I think people forget Janets first couple of albums were duds and failures.
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited August 2010
    Options
    When has Janet Jackson ever hit a note, and not mumble on a track. lol I think people forget Janets first couple of albums were duds and failures.
    She was only 16 and 18 with her first two albums.. Then she went on to have 5 back to back classic albums.. She may not have the strongest vocals but she does know how to show emotion with beautiful harmonies.
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    Don't take everything you hear from them at face value. At times, there are a few who speak their mind, but usually it's all about mingling in the industry and one of the codes is not fighting the trend, if not religiously following it. Some of 'em might think the opposite deep down and show how they really feel off-camera.
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Nope, she puts out music that people want to hear, all artist make music for cash, that's why they sign to labels, put out videos and tour. I know you don't think they do it for free, Beyonce just happen to put out a product that people like. If she was grossly overrated, then people like Rihanna, Ciara, Keri Hilson,etc would all take her spot, but they can't, they can't do what she do.
    Since when being a legend mean putting out products people wanna hear? Wow, seriously. Beyonce wishes to be a leader, but in fact she's a follower. If anything, she's been one of the dominant leaders in selling her image. I give you that.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited August 2010
    Options

Everyone knows Janet is not a "? " thats why she makes the music that she does and keeps to her respective range...You don't see her trying to make Whitney Houston type ballads or even sing national anthem at events she knows her limits and stands by them and still comes out classics a majority of her hits are uptempo tracks for a reason, if you hadn't noticed..... Yeah Dream Street and her self titled albums went no where really, but who's denying that? Just like how Beyonce tried to branch off into her solo career before 'Crazy In Love' with those wack ass Austin Powers/Fighting Temptations singles that flopped ridiculously. Please lets not compare Janet's music or her career to Beyonce's, because that would be hilarious.