Past, Present, Future - Does time exist?

Options

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It exists to us because we a mortal. So we have a start and a finish therefore we have a TIME to live.

BUt time is just what we define whatever that start and finish is.

You look like Malcolm with a suntan and a Black grandfather.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited May 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Instinct does happen naturally, but based on what naturally occuring event? Time. Birds migrate based on Seasons. That is motion of the Earth that created seasons. That is time. There are no scales or numbers needed for the Earth to turn. There is no scales or numbers needed for the Human to grow, develop, get old and die. They are going to do that regardless.

Hey man, you're the one that said nature is the measurement of motion, if it's a measurement like you claim then it has to have scales and numbers. But it's not, nature is independant from time. Seasons doesn't have anything to do with time, and everything to do with natural cycles. Do you think the seasons on Mars are the same? are there seasons in space? What about seasons in other galaxies?
    And Buddha and Muhammad, well Muhammad defintely do not exist in memory only. There are nations and whole systems of government, education, economics, social norms, etc that exist because of him. We are not just physical. You of all people should know that. Now, I can't exist in the past. But I am most definitely shaped by my past. Don't tell me you don't mold your life or your children for the future by what you do in the present that will become the past. They are connected. They don't have to coexist to be real. If you plan anything, you acknowledge the future.

they are set up in the memory of Muhammad, which comes from the mind. You're shaped by the memory of events but they have already happened. Old moments that have passed away. Everything is interconnected and all "past" events have led up to the current moment, but those events no longer exist. If I plan it's for the possible coming moments, but those moments aren't gauranteed and don't exist until they occur.

Ok, next time a creditor calls and says you owe him for a payment you made in the past, I want you to tell him you don't acknowledge the past so you will send him another payment. And next time, you are expecting a check from your boss or for your labor tell them don't worry about it, it is in the future and that it doesn't exist.

I'll let you get the keys to the car, just be home by 11:00...............

Now you're just buggin'. A creditor will call me because I have an EXISTING debt. lol. You know better than that Step.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's like saying "TIME flies," or "today is dragging." Is it really? Or is it just in your mind? What we call time is moving along like it does every day.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    LOL.

And Step is a fool.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    To exist today or to exist tomorrow...

That is the question.

in order to exist tomorrow you must make it through today. unless you are born tomorrow, but youll never make it to the day after tomorrow if you dont make it through tomorrow. time exists because we cant do everything at once. you cannot hold a conversation here while cutting the grass and talking on the cellphone and going to work. because there isnt enough.....time. time doesnt stop or slow down, only our perception of time does, much like it will never speed up.
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    Hey man, you're the one that said nature is the measurement of motion, if it's a measurement like you claim then it has to have scales and numbers. But it's not, nature is independant from time. Seasons doesn't have anything to do with time, and everything to do with natural cycles. Do you think the seasons on Mars are the same? are there seasons in space? What about seasons in other galaxies?

Actually sir, I said Time is a measure of motion. It(Earth) doesn't need scales and numbers to turn(make time). Nature is not independent of time. You ever bake a cake? Boil an egg? Impregnate a woman? Can any of these processes reach the desired outcome without time?
    As far as the seasons on the other planets, I don't know, but I do know they travel at the same rate of speed once the Sunlight strikes them. That has nothing to do with the conversation, I just wanted to sound deep.

they are set up in the memory of Muhammad, which comes from the mind. You're shaped by the memory of events but they have already happened. Old moments that have passed away. Everything is interconnected and all "past" events have led up to the current moment, but those events no longer exist. If I plan it's for the possible coming moments, but those moments aren't gauranteed and don't exist until they occur.

Right. That was my original point. They are connected. I used continuum. They do exist(I about to get Far Eastern on that ass). Remember the premise is does time exist. People are hindered or helped by the subconscious mind. Things in your past can effect you in the present and future. You may not be in the experience at the moment, but every deed, thought, and action is recorded. Have you ever thought of something that you experienced years ago, that all of a sudden
    just popped up in your mind? Where did that come from? And if the past doesn't exist, how did it manage to pop up out of your mind currently? Continually, bad relationships are usually the result of an experience that you had in the past that is still with you that hinders you from overcoming that issue.

Time exists.

Now you're just buggin'. A creditor will call me because I have an EXISTING debt. lol. You know better than that Step.

I meant a payment you made in the past that was not credited to your account.
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Black people in particular and All people in general are hindered by their lack of respect of time and their lack of study of time(past, present, future).
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited May 2010
    Options
    einstein already solved this, i explained it, if you cant follow then you definitely shouldnt lead. if you cant understand then you can never teach.
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Options
    To exist today, or to have existed yesterday...

That is the question.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    einstein already solved this, i explained it, if you cant follow then you definitely shouldnt lead. if you cant understand then you can never teach.

Einstein has been wrong before, many times actually...

Stars we look at in the sky, some have been dead for millions of years yet we still look at them like they exist today.
    This although it proves nothing leads the perception of time down a tricky path.
    We must co-exist with the past as we do with the future because there is only one time as we comprehend it today.
    Scientist use descriptions of immense gravity in space saying it could alter or bend time and space itself.
    If time is physical then it can be broken down like I said before. Anything broken down creates or has more than one piece, time is no exception.
  • perspective@100
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I just had an interesting thought... Would time exist if space were empty? Nothing to measure or change. Would time still be there? would the present still be the present by definition of what you people are saying the present is? How could there be a past or future if nothing ever took place? The fact is, it is there as it is here now. Past present and future all have to be the same and all at once because time changes for no one...
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Einstein has been wrong before, many times actually...

Stars we look at in the sky, some have been dead for millions of years yet we still look at them like they exist today.
    This although it proves nothing leads the perception of time down a tricky path.
    We must co-exist with the past as we do with the future because there is only one time as we comprehend it today.
    Scientist use descriptions of immense gravity in space saying it could alter or bend time and space itself.
    If time is physical then it can be broken down like I said before. Anything broken down creates or has more than one piece, time is no exception.

time isnt physical because we cant manipulate it... its one of the 4 dimensions. the fact that you can see dead stars today is interesting but it is explained in the light speed formula, at least explained for now. what do you mean there is only one time, are you meaning we can only touch this time? but the people before us were part of the past, which is a different time, but it wasnt then. time is a flood, you can see where its been, but once it passes through you cant make the water come back. but by looking at the damage done, we can tell how bad the damage can be in the future or rather further along the path.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    To exist today, or to have existed yesterday...

That is the question.

how far yesterday? for the literal use of the word yesterday, you had to exist then, to make it to today, unless you were born today. but today will become yesterday, and yet again you had to exist in that yesterday to exist in the next today. with the exception of babies
  • Punisher__
    edited May 2010
    Options
    how far yesterday? for the literal use of the word yesterday, you had to exist then, to make it to today, unless you were born today. but today will become yesterday, and yet again you had to exist in that yesterday to exist in the next today. with the exception of babies

LOL @ you actually answering those questions.
  • perspective@100
    edited May 2010
    Options
    time isnt physical because we cant manipulate it... its one of the 4 dimensions. the fact that you can see dead stars today is interesting but it is explained in the light speed formula, at least explained for now. what do you mean there is only one time, are you meaning we can only touch this time? but the people before us were part of the past, which is a different time, but it wasnt then. time is a flood, you can see where its been, but once it passes through you cant make the water come back. but by looking at the damage done, we can tell how bad the damage can be in the future or rather further along the path.

How do you distingush between past, present, and future if space is empty of all matter and solid/physical material??? Whats the difference between past of nothing, present of nothing, and future of nothing? Nothing, to me anyway... So its all the same because time never changed just the space around it...
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How do you distingush between past, present, and future if space is empty of all matter and solid/physical material??? Whats the difference between past of nothing, present of nothing, and future of nothing? Nothing, to me anyway... So its all the same because time never changed just the space around it...

hmmm... time exists in space because once we are out in it, we do not instantly transport around space. it takes time to move around in it. there is no difference between a past of nothing and a present of nothing, and a future of nothing for something inanimate, except that in the universes past we finally stepped out into it, in the universes present we are sending radio waves out there and using telescopes to view it (i think the hubble telescope has to send out some sort of signal, but i dont remember) and in the futre we will be traveling across it. time exists in space because of light years. a lot of scifi books talk about space travel and mention that time would be different for you in space. for instance you aging one year, but your whole family being dead when you come back. because in order to travel in space effectively time would have to be manipulated through speed. ie traveling faster than light.
  • perspective@100
    edited May 2010
    Options
    hmmm... time exists in space because once we are out in it, we do not instantly transport around space. it takes time to move around in it. there is no difference between a past of nothing and a present of nothing, and a future of nothing for something inanimate, except that in the universes past we finally stepped out into it, in the universes present we are sending radio waves out there and using telescopes to view it (i think the hubble telescope has to send out some sort of signal, but i dont remember) and in the futre we will be traveling across it. time exists in space because of light years. a lot of scifi books talk about space travel and mention that time would be different for you in space. for instance you aging one year, but your whole family being dead when you come back. because in order to travel in space effectively time would have to be manipulated through speed. ie traveling faster than light.

Soooo don't let me put words in your mouth, but your saying if space is empty time can't exist? Who says we are moving at all? Where does the number 1 rank on a scale that goes on for infinite? If space has no limits how can we say we are moving or traveling through it because we have reached any given point that is not point A or where we started? I believe we have a conscious of singularity that only allows us to percieve one time we can exist in because otherwise it would be chaos for our brains to comprehend. I don't believe that Scifi babbish either. If we could see earth while moving away from it at the speed of light for an entire year it may appear to us that the earth has not rotated once around the sun but we know damn well a year has passed cuz we been traveling for a year at the speed of light. If time is something you can travel faster than that makes it physical, which goes along with my other theory of being able to break it down into seperate times that all happen simultaneously because any physical matter can be broken down.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Soooo don't let me put words in your mouth, but your saying if space is empty time can't exist? Who says we are moving at all? Where does the number 1 rank on a scale that goes on for infinite? If space has no limits how can we say we are moving or traveling through it because we have reached any given point that is not point A or where we started? I believe we have a conscious of singularity that only allows us to percieve one time we can exist in because otherwise it would be chaos for our brains to comprehend. I don't believe that Scifi babbish either. If we could see earth while moving away from it at the speed of light for an entire year it may appear to us that the earth has not rotated once around the sun but we know damn well a year has passed cuz we been traveling for a year at the speed of light. If time is something you can travel faster than that makes it physical, which goes along with my other theory of being able to break it down into seperate times that all happen simultaneously because any physical matter can be broken down.

if space is empty, then time doesnt exist. not exactly. a past present and future of nothing is not "nothing" but rather irrelevant to the world. if you sit in one place until you die and do nothing, time still had to pass in order your body to run out of nutrients and start devouring itself. im not disputing that there could be multiple timelines out there, but i know how our time works, in and out of space. time and movement are nigh inseperable, so if you are moving in anyway time has elapsed. i think thats what i meant to say
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    if space is empty, then time doesnt exist.

Space is empty, that's why its called space.

What is there to age in space?
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Space is empty, that's why its called space.

What is there to age in space?

space is not empty, much as the ocean is not empty. it is filled with stars and galaxies, perhaps even another universe. stars age and die in space, im sure planets have died that we dont know about (mars used to have water etc)
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    space is not empty, much as the ocean is not empty. it is filled with stars and galaxies, perhaps even another universe. stars age and die in space, im sure planets have died that we dont know about (mars used to have water etc)

No no, those are the things IN space, not space itself. Space is the area that is not occupied by something. Clearly the things IN space age and die, but what is there to age in space?
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    No no, those are the things IN space, not space itself. Space is the area that is not occupied by something. Clearly the things IN space age and die, but what is there to age in space?

you meant the empty space inbetween? im sure there is something in there that ages. we age when we go into the empty space so if there are random floating subatomic particles out there or something im sure they age too. to me space is the encompassing universe, which everything is in. we earth isnt simply there, it is surrounded by space, and earth took up space, either displacing it or making it dissappear as earth was begun for lack of a better word.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you meant the empty space inbetween? im sure there is something in there that ages.

Right I see what you're saying, but what I am trying to get at is, what is there to age in a completely devoid of anything area(space)? Time seems to come into play when there is something there to age and die, no matter the 'time' it takes to do this process.

Space itself is timeless but not the things IN space.
  • perspective@100
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I like all the ideas floating in here... So, theoretically space is timeless while the objects that occupy space seem to age because of their movement through space or perception of movement... More Sh*t for me to think about
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Right I see what you're saying, but what I am trying to get at is, what is there to age in a completely devoid of anything area(space)? Time seems to come into play when there is something there to age and die, no matter the 'time' it takes to do this process.

Space itself is timeless but not the things IN space.

i dont think we can have an answer as to whether the empty space has time, because if we study it something will then enter that space and age. in a general statement I suppose one can say that time has no meaning for something that does not end.