Past, Present, Future - Does time exist?

Options

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i dont think we can have an answer as to whether the empty space has time, because if we study it something will then enter that space and age. in a general statement I suppose one can say that time has no meaning for something that does not end.

Actually, not that I ponder it for a moment, something I read a while ago makes a little more sense now. I had read that space(an area devoid of anything) does not exist. It went on to say all that 'space' you see between planets, the 'space' between you and a couch etc, does not exist. And at the time I thought "okay, clearly I see a void, where there is nothing". So I carried on my journey.

But this versing and then just now my pondering has helped me to understand that this is true. Between me and the couch is dust, oxygen, nitrogen, particles ect. The 'space' is not actually devoid of everything, so it technically isn't space. It is like an optical illusions of sorts. So out in outer space, there probably isn't 'space' either.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Actually, not that I ponder it for a moment, something I read a while ago makes a little more sense now. I had read that space(an area devoid of anything) does not exist. It went on to say all that 'space' you see between planets, the 'space' between you and a couch etc, does not exist. And at the time I thought "okay, clearly I see a void, where there is nothing". So I carried on my journey.

But this versing and then just now my pondering has helped me to understand that this is true. Between me and the couch is dust, oxygen, nitrogen, particles ect. The 'space' is not actually devoid of everything, so it technically isn't space. It is like an optical illusions of sorts. So out in outer space, there probably isn't 'space' either.

yeah, subatomic particles or even sub subatomic particles and so on and so forth. the more we learn about the things around us, the more we can pontificate on those not around. in other words you are right
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Damn, thats some deep ? ... So only matter and its many different forms can exist which makes time an actual fabric of sorts that we have yet to master like discovering dark matter or anti-matter. No such thing as Void space. This makes sense

On second thought it cant be true. Everything has an equal opposite as the rules of matter and particles and their is an in between so their must be a void which keeps all matter balanced in this dimension.. Positive, negative and neutral...
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Damn, thats some deep ? ... So only matter and its many different forms can exist which makes time an actual fabric of sorts that we have yet to master like discovering dark matter or anti-matter. No such thing as Void space. This makes sense

On second thought it cant be true. Everything has an equal opposite as the rules of matter and particles and their is an in between so their must be a void which keeps all matter balanced in this dimension.. Positive, negative and neutral...

I don't think this void is in our universe or dimension. It seems silly to think that if we just go out far enough we will find this void. And if that were the case as soon as we got to that 'place' it wouldn't be a void anymore cuz our noses would be in it. Possibly it 'exists' in another dimension to balance out this dimension.

Fun stuff to contemplate for sure.
  • mephistopheles
    mephistopheles Members Posts: 97
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I can't explain this as well as a lot of you on this thread, but in my opinion time doesn't actually exist it's just a tool we have created for organizational purposes.
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    So the future doesn't exist, because it hasn't happened yet...

But isn't time suppose to be in dimensions?

Right it doesn't exist but we know it will. Weather we die, the Earth dies or our galaxy implodes the future will come eventually. Nothing stops time, so there will always be a past, present and future.
  • turqiun
    edited June 2010
    Options

Damn mayne haven't used my brain like that in a minute. That makes sense like a ? .
  • turqiun
    edited June 2010
    Options

Damn I was following along until this statement.
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Time exists in this universe. The sun, the moon, the stars, the seasons are all evidences of time existing. But there is a place outside of this time domain that does exists, which is eternal. The only way to get there is through Jesus Christ. Would you like to know more about Him?

actually the only way is thru a blackhole into a singularity where time and space is null and cease to exsist and mass and gravity are infinite.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I like all the ideas floating in here... So, theoretically space is timeless while the objects that occupy space seem to age because of their movement through space or perception of movement... More Sh*t for me to think about

Actually space is not timeless because space had a beginning. "1In the beginning ? created the heaven and the earth." Genesis 1:1

The only 1 who is timeless is the Eternal Father who inhabits eternity. "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place." Isaiah 57:15

Only ? is from everlasting to everlasting.
    "2Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art ? ." Psalm 90:2

The heavens (space) are aging. And one day they will vanish like smoke.
    "Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished." Isaiah 51:6
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2010
    Options
    iAMNOVA wrote: »
    actually the only way is thru a blackhole into a singularity where time and space is null and cease to exsist and mass and gravity are infinite.

You don't get to heaven, the dwelling place of Al-Mighty ? , through a black hole. You get to heaven by believing in what Jesus Christ did for you and thus being born-again. Do you know Him?
  • iAMNOVA
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You don't get to heaven, the dwelling place of Al-Mighty ? , through a black hole. You get to heaven by believing in what Jesus Christ did for you and thus being born-again. Do you know Him?

i know that the only place in the megaverse with no time is the singularity...me being a former Physics major tells me that...I honestly dont care about religion because it serves me no purpose...gives u no answers to any questions u ask...all you get is circular logic from religion ...I aint with that...until I get some real answers I aint checking for Religion as a practitioner
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i know that the only place in the megaverse with no time is the singularity...me being a former Physics major tells me that...I honestly dont care about religion because it serves me no purpose...gives u no answers to any questions u ask...all you get is circular logic from religion ...I aint with that...until I get some real answers I aint checking for Religion as a practitioner

I'm not talking about religion my sister. I'm talking about the Lord Jesus Christ who formed and made you. Getting to heaven is not about religion. It's about having a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a relationship that the Lord wants to have with you. He currently stands at the door of your heart right now my sister and knocks. If you will let Him in you will experience joy unspeakable and the peace of ? , which passeth all understanding, that will keep your heart and mind through Christ Jesus. If you want to know ? , you can. He loves you my sister. Let ? come in to your life so that you can be all that ? created you and called you to be. ? bless.
  • iAMNOVA
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm not talking about religion my sister. I'm talking about the Lord Jesus Christ who formed and made you. Getting to heaven is not about religion. It's about having a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a relationship that the Lord wants to have with you. He currently stands at the door of your heart right now my sister and knocks. If you will let Him in you will experience joy unspeakable and the peace of ? , which passeth all understanding, that will keep your heart and mind through Christ Jesus. If you want to know ? , you can. He loves you my sister. Let ? come in to your life so that you can be all that ? created you and called you to be. ? bless.

how can u have a "personal" expirenence with something that not a person? Futhermore why does ? even have human emotions?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2010
    Options
    1. how can u have a "personal" expirenence with something that not a person? 2. Futhermore why does ? even have human emotions?

1. Jesus Christ is a person. He is ? the Son and knowing Him personally, by accepting the sacrifice He provided for you, will start the cultivation of a relationship with Him.

2. We are made in the image of ? . This image is found in the fact that man is a personal, rational, and moral being. While ? is infinite and man finite, nevertheless man possesses the elements of personality similar to those of the divine Person: thinking, feeling, and willing. Everything starts with ? my sister. He is the beginning of everything.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    He is ? the Son

? the ? .

? the Son.

? the Holy Ghost.

Sounds like D.I.D.
  • iAMNOVA
    edited June 2010
    Options
    1. Jesus Christ is a person. He is ? the Son and knowing Him personally, by accepting the sacrifice He provided for you, will start the cultivation of a relationship with Him.

2. We are made in the image of ? . This image is found in the fact that man is a personal, rational, and moral being. While ? is infinite and man finite, nevertheless man possesses the elements of personality similar to those of the divine Person: thinking, feeling, and willing. Everything starts with ? my sister. He is the beginning of everything.

that makes abosolutely no sense whatsoever
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

LOL.

DoUWant2Go2Heaven? is like, hallucinating.

Where I'm from, such a thing could get you committed.
  • iAMNOVA
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    LOL.

DoUWant2Go2Heaven? is like, hallucinating.

Where I'm from, such a thing could get you committed.

lol...idk whats up he's mos def committed though...for that I salute him...im just not checking for religion...its completely illogical,circular logic and nonsensical bs
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Chronologically yes, time exists, as humans have given definition to it. Psychologically, no and in both the chronological and psychological sense, it has served its purpose in use as a crutch, a false sense of if , i have an issue, i can use time to work on it, or time to make it better, thats the psychological use of time, the chronological use, is you have to be to work,to the office, or to a specific place at a defined "time." Time is nothing more than a device used to measure.
  • iAMNOVA
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    Chronologically yes, time exists, as humans have given definition to it. Psychologically, no and in both the chronological and psychological sense, it has served its purpose in use as a crutch, a false sense of if , i have an issue, i can use time to work on it, or time to make it better, thats the psychological use of time, the chronological use, is you have to be to work,to the office, or to a specific place at a defined "time." Time is nothing more than a device used to measure.

exactly....time doesnt exist simply because its relative....we cant define it properly therefore we use what we have to apply it to hat we think we know...in essence time is no more than a theory. Just like General Relativity...it applies but its not correct...its just what we know and it works for us right now...but under the microscope it breaks down fatally
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    exactly....time doesnt exist simply because its relative....we cant define it properly therefore we use what we have to apply it to hat we think we know...in essence time is no more than a theory. Just like General Relativity...it applies but its not correct...its just what we know and it works for us right now...but under the microscope it breaks down fatally

right, i have heard the argument of , if time didnt exist how do you explain, a mother carrying a fetus 9 months to term, to which i replied, the mother will carry the child and deliver it or not deliver it, regardless of the notion of time. The induction of time, is just a tool used to give measurement. Its a hindrance in my personal observation, as it provides a false sense of security, if you dont complete something today, well there is always tomorrow, i am angry, i need time to work on my anger, i am an alcoholic, i need a 12 step program to rid myself of my addiction, all uses of psychological time. Chronologically, the burden has been placed on us universally to use time, i have to be in court by"8am", i have to pay my bill by a certain "time", etc. It is also a factor in many of the problems that we face on a collective scale, instead of acting in the "now" or "moment" we think that we have "time" to fix or work on things, and in that, it makes for a lazy, and dull mind. I agree, it is a theory, and has been constructed in such a way that is easily misunderstood by people that it is a reality.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2010
    Options
    what doesn't make sense?
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »

What it do?

Where you been?