Past, Present, Future - Does time exist?

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    it's very real the problem is that it's relative.

Absolutely, time is real because it divides events. I am talking to you now, but if I am dead 30 years from now, my time to talk to you has past. Some people wish to believe everything is happening at once but if that is so true, how come George Washington Carver isn't around anymore??

Because his time has EXPIRED. Time is real. If people were immortal, or if everything was infinite, the argument of time being fake would be more convincing. But because people and animals die all the time, the idea of everything happening at once seems completely silly to me. I mean, Thomas Jefferson can't be president of the USA at the same time he's lying dead in a coffin.

Time does not wait for anyone. As the science says: death will occur at a particular time & place. Similarly, death & birth depend upon time and nobody can alter these phenomena. Accordingly,time is always real and it cannot be unreal (untruth).To say time is not real is to say events are not real......it makes ZERO sense. Can you type as you are dead? I don't think so. Notice that death time for a human seems very different from being alive. I've never known a dead person who can eat dinner with me.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Everything is NOT happening simultaneously. Are you serious?? As I am typing to you, I am not making my bed. I am not weight lifting. I am not doing a lot of things. But at this certain time NOW, I am typing to you.

So how can you possibly say everything happens simultaneously????? Even if we are here for nanoseconds compared to Earth's lifespan, that is still time. Time I am using in my own way.

im not trying to sway your belief in any way, im saying if you step back and look at your life compared to the grandness of existence of earth, it seriously alters the whole time perception. You can only acknowledge time in relation to events, like making your bed, weightlifting, or whatever..Why is it that time can only be referenced in correlation to events? Can time exist when there is no relation made to mark certain events? Moreso, can events exist without relationship to time? If you are living in the NOW continuously, as we are all living and breathing organisms, where is time? You have to look at a clock, or a watch to answer that question.

The earth vs individual human lifespan is a good comparison, look at it this way, if the earth observes our life, it would equal to nanoseconds from its perspective, and all of the events and things we've done in our life would seem to occur simultaneously, like a short movie going at highspeed. The beginning and end would be over in the snap of a finger.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    time does not divide events, it marks/measures them due in part to mans construction..step outside yourself and look at the totality of it, events occur simultaneously constantly all over the world. if you look from the perspective as a whole and not just individually.
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Everything is NOT happening simultaneously. Are you serious?? As I am typing to you, I am not making my bed. I am not weight lifting. I am not doing a lot of things. But at this certain time NOW, I am typing to you.

So how can you possibly say everything happens simultaneously????? Even if we are here for nanoseconds compared to Earth's lifespan, that is still time. Time I am using in my own way.

actually u are according to Quantum Physics
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    time does not divide events, it marks/measures them due in part to mans construction..step outside yourself and look at the totality of it, events occur simultaneously constantly all over the world. if you look from the perspective as a whole and not just individually.

LMAO......time DOES divide events. And it is much more than man's construction. I'm going to ask you a very simple question......can you type as you sleep? If you cannot, than that proves that time has divided your sleep motions from your typing motions. It's very simple, but it seems you like to complicate things for some reason. Even looking at the grand scheme of things, everything is NOT happening simultaneously. Is Thomas Jefferson the president of the United States now??? Why not???

LOL.......I thought everything is happening simultaneously!!!!!!!!! Where are you Thomas Jefferson???? Where is thou 3rd President of the United States?? You should be president right now......even though you're.....dead???

I guess a man can be dead and be president at the same time.......right? **scratches head**
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    iAMNOVA wrote: »
    actually u are according to Quantum Physics

Everything happens simultaneously yet.....ummm......Thomas Jefferson is not the President of the USA, while for some strange reason, Obama is the President now? So I guess Thomas Jefferson and Obama are BOTH presidents of the United States.....right now????

DURRRRRR????!!!!!! HUH?

Time is relative, but it is still VERY VERY VERY real. I'm surprised this is even a debate, but I'll entertain this.

As far as Quantum Physics is concerned, don't take the word of some scientists too seriously all the time. It wasn't too long ago that scientists believed the world was flat and flies can appear out of thin air from rotting meat.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    LMAO......time DOES divide events. And it is much more than man's construction. I'm going to ask you a very simple question......can you type as you sleep? If you cannot, than that proves that time has divided your sleep motions from your typing motions. It's very simple, but it seems you like to complicate things for some reason. Even looking at the grand scheme of things, everything is NOT happening simultaneously. Is Thomas Jefferson the president of the United States now??? Why not???

LOL.......I thought everything is happening simultaneously!!!!!!!!! Where are you Thomas Jefferson???? Where is thou 3rd President of the United States?? You should be president right now......even though you're.....dead???

I guess a man can be dead and be president at the same time.......right? **scratches head**

Yes, i could type in my sleep, just as sure as there are sleep walkers, and sleep eaters. That nullifies whatever it is you are trying to prove.lol

Cling to your notion of time existing while failing to really demonstrate how or why. Your perception is narrowed, and conditioned to just believe whatever is put in front of you. We will just agree to disagree.

Some people get it, others dont. *shrugs*

o yeah, a man can be dead and be president at the same time. You never heard the term dead presidents? lol. you gotta do better bro.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yes, i could type in my sleep, just as sure as there are sleep walkers, and sleep eaters. That nullifies whatever it is you are trying to prove.lol

Cling to your notion of time existing while failing to really demonstrate how or why. Your perception is narrowed, and conditioned to just believe whatever is put in front of you. We will just agree to disagree.

Some people get it, others dont. *shrugs*

You said all that without addresing most of my points, but ok. Thomas Jefferson is President of the USA at the same time Obama is the President, in this universe....whatever you say buddy. There may be multi-universes with the same things happening all the time, but it does not exist in THIS universe. So time in THIS universe is certainly real. Everything else is just assumptions. We don't know for sure if there is a copy cat of Earth in the galaxy, although it may be possible. We are strictly talking about THIS universe though, at least I am.

And for the record, you are partially right about the sleep typing thing. But if I was to record you and most people when they are actually sleeping, I would estimate people sleep in their beds without typing 90% of the time. I have a better analogy for you.....is it possible to bench press 230 pounds at the same time you are driving? Can a woman give birth and have sex at the same time? Time divides events, so it is a relatively real thing.

My view is narrow intentionally because I want to see if anyone who believes time does not truly exist can answer BASIC questions, and so far, no one has proven me wrong. I expected that though.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You said all that without addresing any of my points, but ok. Thomas Jefferson is President of the USA at the same time Obama is the President, in this universe....whatever you say buddy. There may be multi-universes with the same things happening all the time, but it does not exist in THIS universe. So time in THIS universe is certainly real. Everything else is just assumptions.

i answered your questions and refuted them. what else is there to add? You're making statements without backing them up, so its all just assumption on your part. Believe what it is you want to believe, but atleast understand what it is and why you believe it in the 1st place.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And for the record, you are partially right about the sleep typing thing. But if I was to record you and most people when they are actually sleeping, I would estimate people sleep in their beds without typing 90% of the time. I have a better analogy for you.....is it possible to bench press 230 pounds at the same time you are driving? Can a woman give birth and have sex at the same time? Time divides events, so it is a relatively real thing.

My view is narrow intentionally because I want to see if anyone who believes time does not truly exist can answer BASIC questions, and so far, no one has proven me wrong. I expected that though.

partially right? come on man, drop the ego, you asked specific questions and got specific answers, there is no partiality in that. then you go on and jump into other nonsensical dreamed up outrageous scenarios and ask for proof to solidify them. That is crazy. but in any event, no one
    has proved you wrong, because you were never right to begin with. no big deal tho, these things happen all the time.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    @KingBlaze84,

I pose a question for you since you keep posting Scenarios that establish links between time and material objects. If Space is empty of all matter, meaning atoms energy etc... How do you distinguish between past present and future? This is why your perception of time is so narrow.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    partially right? come on man, drop the ego, you asked specific questions and got specific answers, there is no partiality in that. then you go on and jump into other nonsensical dreamed up outrageous scenarios and ask for proof to solidify them. That is crazy. but in any event, no one
    has proved you wrong, because you were never right to begin with. no big deal tho, these things happen all the time.

Ok, my posts have gone completely over your head.....I'm going to break it down slowly for you.

Let's say a woman is giving birth to a baby that was made by her having sex with her husband 9 months earlier......she did not do BOTH consecutively. She FIRST had sex, than the baby was slowly created. 9 months later, she is giving birth.....you, on the other hand, claim everything is happening simultaneously, when I have just told you how that is NOT happening in this universe nor is it possible. Maybe in another universe, but not on Earth.

A man who loves bodybuilding, for instance, may bench press 230 pounds one evening, and than drive his car roughly 10 minutes later. Somehow, you believe that everything is happening simultaneously, despite the fact that no one can benchpress and drive at the same time. Everything DOES NOT happen simultaneously, how can you possibly claim such a thing?????

I'm watching the Laker game right now, and sometime later I'm going to do some weightlifting......are you suggesting I will be doing both at the same time??? I don't weightlift as I'm watching sports.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    @KingBlaze84,

I pose a question for you since you keep posting Scenarios that establish links between time and material objects. If Space is empty of all matter, meaning atoms energy etc... How do you distinguish between past present and future? This is why your perception of time is so narrow.

The past happened awhile ago, the present is going on currently, and the future will happen later. What more do I have to distingish? It's not that complicated.....time divides events, why is that so hard for some to understand. It's a relative thing, not absolute, but is still real enough that it divides events all the time. Some things DO happen consecutively, sure. But some things DO NOT happen at the same time. One can have candy from a store right now and rob a liquor store the next day. I doubt both of these events happened at the same time. The summer time does not happen at the exact same time winter season is around.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/Game/Fukuyama/timetravel.html

The World
    Calvin (on Hobbes' shoulders reaching into a mailbox): Ah! I got the letter I wrote to myself!
    Hobbes: What did you write?
    Calvin: "Dear Calvin, Hi! I'm writing this on Monday. What day is it now? How are things going? Your pal, Calvin."
    Calvin (to Hobbes): My past self is corresponding with my future self.
    Hobbes: Too bad you can't write back.
    - Calvin and Hobbes, April 19 1995

Time is cyclic. The universe explodes out from the big bang, cools down and develops stars, galaxies, planets and life – and then the expansion gradually slows and turns around into a contraction. Eventually the clouds of dead stars and dissolved galaxies implode inwards into a big crunch, which bounces back into a new big bang identical to the old. All past information vanishes and things begin anew exactly like it once did. The history of the universe is dots on a big circle. But what exists at the center of the cosmic circle? Here, outside time, lies Ex Tempore.

Ex Tempore is literally the center of the universe, a small self-contained world that follows its own time direction. It lies outside the time of the universe, but using parachronic travel it is possible to reach Ex Tempore from the universe, or vice versa. Parachronic travel can reach any point on the great circle of time; from the perspective of Ex Tempore all of history is the same distance away.

Time travel of any kind – even the smallest observations – changes history. A time traveler may visit the world a year after his departure, gather some souvenirs and return home, finding it unchanged. But if he returns to that future he will find it changed – his time travel has changed the future. Going back a few moments will not lead to any huge change, but the farther back the greater the ripple effects. Going back a few years and giving a few stock tips will change the economy, affecting the lives of millions in subtle ways. Going back a century can change the world utterly. Crush a few bugs in the cretaceous and you will get a nasty surprise when you get home.

There are no paradoxes in time travel; you can ? your grandfather as he was a child, and you will not disappear – but if you return to your own time you will not find a trace of your existence. Time travelers can never truly go back to the same future since they change all history after their visit. Even worse, in the new history that occurs after the time travelers intervention, other travelers may appear and travel even further back, undoing the whole story and causing an entirely new history to play out.

In many ways history appears like many parallel timelines, like in the many worlds theory of quantum mechanics. But at any moment there is just one current timeline, and that is what is being changed. A past timeline is impossible to reach.

so how is time fake again?
  • perspective@100
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The past happened awhile ago, the present is going on currently, and the future will happen later. What more do I have to distingish? It's not that complicated.....time divides events, why is that so hard for some to understand. It's a relative thing, not absolute, but is still real enough that it divides events all the time. Some things DO happen consecutively, sure. But some things DO NOT happen at the same time. One can have candy from a store right now and rob a liquor store the next day. I doubt both of these events happened at the same time. The summer time does not happen at the exact same time winter season is around.

You say time divides events... With what? Counting digits? Your just not even attempting to think outside the box. You state these facts about the universe as if you know them to be true, lol... For your information the so called "slowing down of expansion" or contraction of the Universe has been dubbed false since scientist have discovered its actually speeding up getting further away from the so called "Big Bang ground zero". Your logic is what it is, but its so twentieth century. Can you even grasp that if you go back in time you could come back to an unchanged present? Marty Mcfly could do it because he knew what to change and keep the same. C'mon man stepping on a bug and coming back to some drastic changes? I doubt it. Its like you have this stern belief in logic then you rambled off some scifi mumbo jumbo right after it...
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The future exists and happens almost simultaneously as the present because thoughts precede our actions. No matter how fast the action follows the thought, the thought preceeds it. And almost as simultaneously it is imprinted as the past(images; the "pictures" of our mind).

I guess in some state of mind or level of consciousness all three times exist and are simultaneous, but I think we are able to go beyond that reality or state of consciousness and experience timelessness, or "eternity".

I haven't experienced it but I've read about others who have.
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yes, Time exist because we created it. Before time there were only moments. We created time to measure and help describe the moment.
  • perspective@100
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The future exists and happens almost simultaneously as the present because thoughts precede our actions. No matter how fast the action follows the thought, the thought preceeds it. And almost as simultaneously it is imprinted as the past(images; the "pictures" of our mind).

I guess in some state of mind or level of consciousness all three times exist and are simultaneous, but I think we are able to go beyond that reality or state of consciousness and experience timelessness, or "eternity".

I haven't experienced it but I've read about others who have.

Man you a deep ? ... Your comments are almost philosophical... I support this message~

I consider the "eternity" you mention a Limbo of sorts
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Man you a deep ? ... Your comments are almost philosophical... I support this message~

I consider the "eternity" you mention a Limbo of sorts

LOL. I know, right?

BiblicalAtheist stay on that deep, philosophical ? .
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Too kind of words :)

It really came from all you guys. As I read all that you posted, that is what occurred to me, and so I posted it. If you recall, at the beginning of this thread I was of the understanding that past nor future existed.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I know I tend to lean heavily on science but time is a scientific concept rather than a philosophical one.

What we percieve as 'now' is an illusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity
  • perspective@100
    edited June 2010
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    I know I tend to lean heavily on science but time is a scientific concept rather than a philosophical one.

What we percieve as 'now' is an illusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity

Just a figure of speech to show the depth of biblicalathiest's thoughts. Where I'm from if someone is deep on any concept they are somewhat philosophical.

Read into some of that Einstein Wiki and see that most of it pertains to frame of reference but states there is no "special" frame of reference, but the speed of Light is constant. Weird but ok, anyhow right now I'm wondering if its at all possible (Hypothetically speaking) a distant civilization if they had the ability to view space through a telescope far more advanced then our society posseses at a range of millions of lightyears away but could view us in detail like Google maps from a satellite would they see us today or would they see Earth millions of years ago? Any Ideas?
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Just a figure of speech to show the depth of biblicalathiest's thoughts. Where I'm from if someone is deep on any concept they are somewhat philosophical.

Read into some of that Einstein Wiki and see that most of it pertains to frame of reference but states there is no "special" frame of reference, but the speed of Light is constant. Weird but ok, anyhow right now I'm wondering if its at all possible (Hypothetically speaking) a distant civilization if they had the ability to view space through a telescope far more advanced then our society posseses at a range of millions of lightyears away but could view us in detail like Google maps from a satellite would they see us today or would they see Earth millions of years ago? Any Ideas?

If a culture had the ability to view the earth from a distance they would see it as in the past based on the time the light took to reach their planet or point of observation. If their planet was 500 light years away they would observe earth as it was in 1510.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited June 2010
    Options
    this thread = pseudo-intellectualism at its finest
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    this thread = pseudo-intellectualism at its finest

You're calling me a pseudo-intellectual? LMBAO.

WTF?