Past, Present, Future - Does time exist?

Options

Comments

• whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Time is not simply a 'device used to measure'. Hours, days, and minutes are an artificial construct to measure time just as inches, feet, and gallons measure distance and volume, however the 3 spatial dimension exist whether we measure them or not. Time also exist whether we measure it or not. If all human ceased to exist time would still go on so long as this universe exists.
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    Time is not simply a 'device used to measure'. Hours, days, and minutes are an artificial construct to measure time just as inches, feet, and gallons measure distance and volume, however the 3 spatial dimension exist whether we measure them or not. Time also exist whether we measure it or not. If all human ceased to exist time would still go on so long as this universe exists.

we know that the 3 spatial dimensions exist and the 4th time...but in what capacity do they exist...because we know for a fact the time is relative as opposed to the spatial dimensions...the faster im moving the more time warps...the more gravity the more time warps...time isnt a constant...however it doesnt matter how fast I move i've only moved a certain space...but if i move lets say at the speed of light...time is extremely slow near stand still for me...but for everyone else...it has increased and if u move at such hi-speeds for an extended period when u stop...ull be around the same state u were when u started while everyone else would be much older...so time is completely relative to the object its interacting with...we also know that time completely ceases to exist in certain conditions in the known universe and its unexplainable...there are places in the universe that defy the known laws of physics and time is usually the first victim...so yeah time exists but in what capacity?
  • whar67
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Space conforms to the same relativity issues as time. It expands and contracts based on velocity just as time does. This is why in physic we use the term spacetime.

Time near the speed of light would move at the same speed as it would in any other frame of reference. The dilation occurs when you compare time and distance at different frames of reference. If you compare time on the surface of the earth to a spaceship travelling at enormous speed time on earth would move more slowly. When the ship returns to Earth the passengers on the ship would have experience less time than those on Earth. They would also percieved that they travelled a much shorter distance than what is percieved by those on earth.

I know of no instance when time does not exist except, perhaps, during the first Plank seconds of the universe. There are several times in Quantum mechcanics that things behave atypical to ourt normal perception of time but time still exists in those instances.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    iAMNOVA wrote: »
    we know that the 3 spatial dimensions exist and the 4th time...but in what capacity do they exist...because we know for a fact the time is relative as opposed to the spatial dimensions...the faster im moving the more time warps...the more gravity the more time warps...time isnt a constant...however it doesnt matter how fast I move i've only moved a certain space...but if i move lets say at the speed of light...time is extremely slow near stand still for me...but for everyone else...it has increased and if u move at such hi-speeds for an extended period when u stop...ull be around the same state u were when u started while everyone else would be much older...so time is completely relative to the object its interacting with...we also know that time completely ceases to exist in certain conditions in the known universe and its unexplainable...there are places in the universe that defy the known laws of physics and time is usually the first victim...so yeah time exists but in what capacity?

Forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot to you( I saw you said you majored in physics for a bit)... Just looking for some insight.... The whole time warp thing seems a little fictional to me. Not saying its not possible but who have we known to travel so fast that they stopped aging? What specifically do we know that had so much gravity that it altered TIME? If you freeze something and it last longer is that a time warp? Einstein's Theory on relativity was basically stating appearance of surroundings of a moving object, but I don't think it was correctly measuring TIME itself( once again I have not studied this so If Im wrong please correct me). If you were moving at the speed of light and a bunch of people around you were moving at the speed of light your appearace to each other would not be different as if compared to moving at regular speeds. You would be able to interact as if you were walking very slowly right next to each other while the slower things around you seemed to freeze. The people moving with you would age the same way you age which does make time a constant relative to speed. If super speeds can be calculated and mass amounts of gravity can be calculated and both seemingly alter time, once the constant of time is calculated wont that equal the capacity of time itself? Also, Im curious as to some of these places that defy laws of physics please put me on to them.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    What it do?

Where you been?

Wsup Pun! Ive been so busy man. Getting money, and back in school.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    spacetime is a theory, one of hundreds. If time, here on earth, can exist without the need for humans to measure, why the need to measure ? If time is independent of humans, then why are humans dependent on time? We do not need the use of time to live, we are born, live and die, whether there is the acknowledgement of time or not. It is nothing more than a tool used for measurement. How do you calculate a moment? Where is the time in an instant? cant think of an instance where time doesnt exist? One word photons. i gotta go, will try to reply when i get a free moment.
  • whar67
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    spacetime is a theory, one of hundreds.

Well yes but it is the only one regarding space and time with any real support.

If time, here on earth, can exist without the need for humans to measure, why the need to measure ? If time is independent of humans, then why are humans dependent on time? We do not need the use of time to live, we are born, live and die, whether there is the acknowledgement of time or not. It is nothing more than a tool used for measurement. How do you calculate a moment? Where is the time in an instant?

Time is a fundamental aspect of our universe. We can not exist without it anymore so than height, width, or depth. As for dependency I do not see where you are going. Humans are dependent on oxygen but oxygen is not dependent on humans.

cant think of an instance where time doesnt exist? One word photons. i gotta go, will try to reply when i get a free moment.

I think you need more words. Photons do not exist outside or independent of time.
  • iAMNOVA
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot to you( I saw you said you majored in physics for a bit)... Just looking for some insight.... The whole time warp thing seems a little fictional to me. Not saying its not possible but who have we known to travel so fast that they stopped aging? What specifically do we know that had so much gravity that it altered TIME? If you freeze something and it last longer is that a time warp? Einstein's Theory on relativity was basically stating appearance of surroundings of a moving object, but I don't think it was correctly measuring TIME itself( once again I have not studied this so If Im wrong please correct me). If you were moving at the speed of light and a bunch of people around you were moving at the speed of light your appearace to each other would not be different as if compared to moving at regular speeds. You would be able to interact as if you were walking very slowly right next to each other while the slower things around you seemed to freeze. The people moving with you would age the same way you age which does make time a constant relative to speed. If super speeds can be calculated and mass amounts of gravity can be calculated and both seemingly alter time, once the constant of time is calculated wont that equal the capacity of time itself? Also, Im curious as to some of these places that defy laws of physics please put me on to them.

Well since no one can travel at the speed of light right now...the laws of physics tell us so...we also see this in Astronauts as they age slower when traveling at extreme speeds

General Relativity is the theory of gravity and its effects on space time...ur thinking of Special Relativity...but G.R. points to the biggest culprit as far as defying the laws of physics...Black holes...and we know that the closer u get to the singularity...the more time distorts and the laws of physics break down as time ceases to exist and mass and gravity are infinite...which is the entire reason for the formation of the new discipline Quantum Mechanics and but even those laws break down...not to mention that the theorys and laws of GR and QM completely disagree with each other...my physics is a lil rusty being that ? it was what 6 yrs ago when I switched my major...but yeah...the main culprits are Black Holes
  • perspective@100
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Well since no one can travel at the speed of light right now...the laws of physics tell us so...we also see this in Astronauts as they age slower when traveling at extreme speeds

General Relativity is the theory of gravity and its effects on space time...ur thinking of Special Relativity...but G.R. points to the biggest culprit as far as defying the laws of physics...Black holes...and we know that the closer u get to the singularity...the more time distorts and the laws of physics break down as time ceases to exist and mass and gravity are infinite...which is the entire reason for the formation of the new discipline Quantum Mechanics and but even those laws break down...not to mention that the theorys and laws of GR and QM completely disagree with each other...my physics is a lil rusty being that ? it was what 6 yrs ago when I switched my major...but yeah...the main culprits are Black Holes

Oh ok I was not sure about my statements I kinda figured I had something off. But anyhow I thought that Hawking guy solved black holes with an equation stating they dont last forever and eventually evaporate like water giving off what we now call Hawking Energy. Your knowledge from six years ago still beats mt TV knowledge, haha.. From what I know about Einstein and how he described space is that its trying to get back to its original form. Thats why we have gravity its actually space pushing down on Earth trying to squeeze it back into Nothingness thus we cant jump into outer space from the Earth's surface. Hmmm, now that I think about it if space can be distorted it makes since that time can be distorted also. Damn I'm rambling, what is this singularity you keep mentioning?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I believe time is a very real concept, and NOT just a human one.

Time is what prevents everything from all happening at once. A butterfly cannot sleep while it eats. A dog can't ? while it eats either. That means, certain things have a certain place at a certain TIME. I cannot type this at the same time I'm playing basketball.

The sun cannot set at the same......TIME as it rises. Time divides events, and therefore, time is as real as the head on your shoulders. Isaac Newton was right.
  • Jay Pee
    Jay Pee Members Posts: 761
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I believe "time" is somewhat man-made and is used as a tool of measurement. Kingblaze you have some good points. But what about the Multiverse theory? Why must life be so complicated I feel like my mind is a ? and all this information just keeps on ? it hahaha no ? !!
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options

Time is a fundamental aspect of our universe. We can not exist without it anymore so than height, width, or depth. As for dependency I do not see where you are going. Humans are dependent on oxygen but oxygen is not dependent on humans.

I think you need more words. Photons do not exist outside or independent of time.

What is your definition of time? and what do you use it for here on earth? and why? Demonstrate how humans can not exist outside of the concept of time. All of those questions are vital and pertinent to the discussion and should be answered thoroughly first.

in regards to the photons reference, you made the statement that you cannot think of any instance of where time does not exist. and i think you understand very well my example. A photon has no rest mass, never goes anywhere, exists and dies instantaniously. Time does not exist for a photon, nor does it exist in any other capacity, except to record/measure events.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I
    Time is what prevents everything from all happening at once.

Compare the lifespan of one individual human, to the total age of the universe, divide the two, and we are here for what? milli, nanoseconds? Everything is happening simultaneously.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Compare the lifespan of one individual human, to the total age of the universe, divide the two, and we are here for what? milli, nanoseconds? Everything is happening simultaneously.

this........................................................
  • whar67
    edited June 2010
    Options
    What is your definition of time? and what do you use it for here on earth? and why? Demonstrate how humans can not exist outside of the concept of time. All of those questions are vital and pertinent to the discussion and should be answered thoroughly first.

in regards to the photons reference, you made the statement that you cannot think of any instance of where time does not exist. and i think you understand very well my example. A photon has no rest mass, never goes anywhere, exists and dies instantaniously. Time does not exist for a photon, nor does it exist in any other capacity, except to record/measure events.

My first response was eaten by the Internet so I will be brief.

1. You are making an outlandish claim therefore you carry the burden of proof. How can human exist beyond spacetime? Human process information with time intervals greater than zero. Depend on chemical reaction with time intervals greater than zero. Since all movement would be instanteous without time the shearing force generated from from walking would be devastating to the human form.

2. If Photons go nowhere how are you reading this? If photons reduce the energy of the emitting system (which they do) and then instantly die where does the energy go? How does the sun transfer energy to us? The Photon actually has a long life. It continues until it strikes an object such as an eye which renders the information impart by the photon into an image or the planet earth which then absorbs the energy. Other than the no rest mass none of your comments on photons seem accurate.
  • perspective@100
    edited June 2010
    Options

Agree with the Bold... people cant seem to imagine or grasp the complexity of this statement. It makes more since Then time being in a straight line. If time is in a straight line that line is a circle or can be represented in infinite. There is only one "time" theirfore it all happens at once.
  • iAMNOVA
    edited June 2010
    Options

this is true...quantum mechanics teaches us that...everything that can will and ever has happened...is has and will be...simultaneously...Physics also teaches us that time travel is possible we just dont have the technology yet...but its completely within the laws of physics...Singularity is the very center of a black hole where everything we know breaks down...the universe also apparently came from a singularity...but its a EXTREMELY small point,most of the time inside a black hole blanketed by an event horizon that consists of infinite mass and gravity.
  • runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    time is relative ya digg? the sun will rise and set whether we keep track or not...we will age even if we broke all the clocks today. time IS ya digg? but i will say that its "time" because we say it is...dont matter what you call it the effect is the same
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My first response was eaten by the Internet so I will be brief.

1. You are making an outlandish claim therefore you carry the burden of proof. How can human exist beyond spacetime? Human process information with time intervals greater than zero. Depend on chemical reaction with time intervals greater than zero. Since all movement would be instanteous without time the shearing force generated from from walking would be devastating to the human form.

2. If Photons go nowhere how are you reading this? If photons reduce the energy of the emitting system (which they do) and then instantly die where does the energy go? How does the sun transfer energy to us? The Photon actually has a long life. It continues until it strikes an object such as an eye which renders the information impart by the photon into an image or the planet earth which then absorbs the energy. Other than the no rest mass none of your comments on photons seem accurate.

Im no physics expert, no where near it, as you are seemingly suggesting to be, i fall more on the philosophical side, there is nothing outlandish about my claim. Lets just say you dont agree with it, as it goes against your concept . Im not making sense to you as you are dealing in concepts and I am not. What is the lifespan of a proton? Where does time exists within intervals?

and more importantly, since time exists, where can i go pick some up? I would like to buy some. I mean who couldnt use a little more "time" right? I mean you are making the claim that it exists, so point us in the direction where we can all go and get some. and of course, im not talking about a watch or clock, but pure and actual time.

It is of no surprise you tend to favor the opposite side of what I state. You are the same one who figures the purchasing power of the dollar is as strong as it was back in the 1950's which is false, you also refused to see the difference between truths vs beliefs. You had a real hard time discerning too that as i recall. And now here you pop up only after i post, to refute whatever it is that i assert. In most cases I would classify this as annoying, but in this instance, its cool, a mild form of entertainment for me.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Agree with the Bold... people cant seem to imagine or grasp the complexity of this statement. It makes more since Then time being in a straight line. If time is in a straight line that line is a circle or can be represented in infinite. There is only one "time" theirfore it all happens at once.

yeah, that really is a thread closer. lol.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited June 2010
    Options
    this is true...quantum mechanics teaches us that...everything that can will and ever has happened...is has and will be...simultaneously...Physics also teaches us that time travel is possible we just dont have the technology yet...but its completely within the laws of physics...Singularity is the very center of a black hole where everything we know breaks down...the universe also apparently came from a singularity...but its a EXTREMELY small point,most of the time inside a black hole blanketed by an event horizon that consists of infinite mass and gravity.

yes, there have been successful experiments of teleporting atoms. So the entertaining of time travel is interesting, even though we are no where near be able to do such a thing. I would think if it is possible, lets say we could, how could that not alter events, if we were able to travel back in "time" would time be still or moving and at what rate? where would that "time" go? im all about exploring these things, it is of good intrest.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

We already can time travel. Our most basic method of travel is walking. When you begin to use means of transportation to get places faster then you've time traveled. A store is thirty minutes away on foot. You can walk to the store, it will take you 30 minutes. You can run to the store, it will take you 20 minutes. You can ride a bike, it will take 10 minutes. If you drive, it will take 5 minutes. Thats time traveling to me. You've moved through time faster than you would have if you used your most basic, and most natural means of travel. In the time it would take you to walk to a store 30 minutes away, you can drive there and back three times.

I always tell people this, imagine how long a day would feel if you could only walk to get things done. If we didnt have cars, boats and the things we have today, we wouldnt be where we are today. All these methods of travel sped up our development as human beings, and our destruction as well.
  • whar67
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Im no physics expert, no where near it, as you are seemingly suggesting to be, i fall more on the philosophical side, there is nothing outlandish about my claim. Lets just say you dont agree with it, as it goes against your concept . Im not making sense to you as you are dealing in concepts and I am not. What is the lifespan of a proton? Where does time exists within intervals?

and more importantly, since time exists, where can i go pick some up? I would like to buy some. I mean who couldnt use a little more "time" right? I mean you are making the claim that it exists, so point us in the direction where we can all go and get some. and of course, im not talking about a watch or clock, but pure and actual time.

It is of no surprise you tend to favor the opposite side of what I state. You are the same one who figures the purchasing power of the dollar is as strong as it was back in the 1950's which is false, you also refused to see the difference between truths vs beliefs. You had a real hard time discerning too that as i recall. And now here you pop up only after i post, to refute whatever it is that i assert. In most cases I would classify this as annoying, but in this instance, its cool, a mild form of entertainment for me.

Time is sold in the same department where you buy gravity.

Also I returned to this thread in response to something iAMNOVA stated regarding space not being dilated in multiple frames of reference based on velocity like time. However your recollection of my posts are accurate though their content seems sketchy. I argued that comparing the buying power of a 1950 dollar to a 2010 dollar was meaningless without examing the buying power of individuals. I compared the loss of value of a 1950 dollar to the increase in wages in 2004 (the only year I could easily find data on) to show that buying power has increased. I argued the mainstream philosophical position that knowledge is a justified true belief. Even things as actual as purchasing a Big Gulp, which I did again today, is still a belief. Other posters in that thread seemed to want to draw a distinction between things we are justified in believing true, like stepping off a tall building will probably lead to your death, and believing in ? , which one could very well be wrong about.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    it's very real the problem is that it's relative.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Everything is NOT happening simultaneously. Are you serious?? As I am typing to you, I am not making my bed. I am not weight lifting. I am not doing a lot of things. But at this certain time NOW, I am typing to you.

So how can you possibly say everything happens simultaneously????? Even if we are here for nanoseconds compared to Earth's lifespan, that is still time. Time I am using in my own way.