Official ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC THREAD

Options

Comments

• tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    the thing is ? never lost me at all....you'd be surprised what i believe. my thing is the poision you speak of, i aint fallin for that ? no more

So what r u Standin 4 then Homie???
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    So what r u Standin 4 then Homie???

The truth...and the bible aint it
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    The truth...and the bible aint it

SO wat Do U believe in then???
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    demandred wrote: »
    Time is like a river.... history always repeats itself

Rivers don't repeat themselves.

Um...

I mean, maybe you're talking about evaporation over the ocean carrying clouds to the highlands which feed rivers, but I don't think you thought that much about this metaphor.

Um...

Rivers pretty much go one way.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »
    Rivers don't repeat themselves.

Um...

I mean, maybe you're talking about evaporation over the ocean carrying clouds to the highlands which feed rivers, but I don't think you thought that much about this metaphor.

Um...

Rivers pretty much go one way.

I didnt say anything but I was pretty much thinking the same.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    For the athiests and non-believers ::

Would you say that you firmly believe that ? doesn't exist?

Or rather that he doesn't exist as any religion depicts him/her?

My personal opinion ::

I'm a highly logical person, so naturally I found flaw in religion early. Too much of it just doesn't make any sense and conforms to flawed views of life and human existence.

But honestly, I still believe that there is a divine being. Not so much the terms that any religion upholds; but in terms of It's existence, yes, I believe that to be very true. Personally.

Proof?

Well compare that possibility to the calculated likelihood of everything around you existing as it is entirely by chance. Have you seen Those numbers? Yeah, Proposing this world as an act of random happenings is even more ridiculous than some religions.

What do you think?
    Is it a disbelief in ? , or a disbelief in ? as religions depict?
  • Amadeus1
    Amadeus1 Members Posts: 56
    edited February 2010
    Options
    What does the word Agnostic mean to you?
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I can safely say i don't think a deity exists.

And also, given how big the Universe is (infinite and all), the occurring of the circumstances that created life on Earth are quite feasible.
  • BEAM
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Amadeus1 wrote: »
    What does the word Agnostic mean to you?

In which context are you asking this question?

Belief and certainty are two different things.
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    Well compare that possibility to the calculated likelihood of everything around you existing as it is entirely by chance. Have you seen Those numbers?

No, I have never seen anyone calculate the statistical probability of the universe existing with or without a ? .

You are repeating something you heard word-of-mouth without ever considering it had no underlying support.
  • Question Authority
    Question Authority Members Posts: 494
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I "believe" there is no ? because to "believe" would imply some sort of faith. I simply do not believe in the existence of a ? .
    I don't see any evidence (or need) for a divine creator anywhere in the universe. To believe in some heavenly father figure seems like just a way to avoid responsibility for ourselves and our actions.
  • BEAM
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I can safely say i don't think a deity exists.

And also, given how big the Universe is (infinite and all), the occurring of the circumstances that created life on Earth are quite feasible.

Think of it terms of exactly sequential everything would have had to have happened to arrive where we are now.

Likely? Yes.

Probable? No.

But that's just my opinion, based upon a presentation I witnessed not too long ago.
    But contrary to popular studies, "random acts" having such an exact result is just... no.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i dont believe in a devine "bein" ..i believe in a higher authority.. that supersedes man's laws and religion..
    i like to call it Karma..

other then that.. i can careless.. i will say evolution/science makes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more sense then religion when it comes to man and the animals and nature..
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    this to the dome
    WaltherPPS-9mm_small.jpg

who ? praying to?

? , L.Ron Hubbard or can't NOTHING save your ass now????
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think our definition and understandin of what ? is seriously mistaken, i don't believe ? is a being, spirit,etc. To me ? is more of a consciousness, and essentially we have the power to be ? . After all, when leave our physical bodies all that is left is our soul and consciousness, i just believe it's working it's way towards the source we call "? ". When people say you have an old soul, it's a person who has lived many a lives and are at a higher level of consciousness.
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Likely? Yes.

Probable? No.

Likely and probable mean the same thing. You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Amadeus1
    Amadeus1 Members Posts: 56
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I thought it was a well known fact that the flying speghetti monster created the universe around us!
  • BEAM
    edited February 2010
    Options
    No, I have never seen anyone calculate the statistical probability of the universe existing with or without a ? .

You are repeating something you heard word-of-mouth without ever considering it had no underlying support.

It wasn't about the universe or ? .

It was an attempt to calculate the likelihood of what the scientific community generally believes to be how things got started here.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Well compare that possibility to the calculated likelihood of everything around you existing as it is entirely by chance. Have you seen Those numbers? Yeah, Proposing this world as an act of random happenings is even more ridiculous than some religions.
    You're doing what most religions do (and what they have done for thousands of years), which is crediting that which is presently unknown to the existence of some form of deity.

I don't try to explain things which are natural with something that is supernatural.

Regardless, I would still like to see these numbers you speak of.
  • BEAM
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Likely and probable mean the same thing. You have no idea what you're talking about.

You're right. I should have said possible instead of likely.

But not knowing what I'm talking about?

Move along.

Are you still upset about yesterday?
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Do you believe in a supernatural intelligence who created the earth and also sticks around to intervene in HUMAN affairs.(answering prayers, punishing n*ggas..? like that)
    or is this supernatural intelligence confined to just setting up the laws that govern our universe. No intervening.

or neither ?
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It wasn't about the universe or ? .

It was an attempt to calculate the likelihood of what the scientific community generally believes to be how things got started here.

Then it was about the universe and you said this talk was related to ? .

Contradictory ass ? .
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    this to the dome
    WaltherPPS-9mm_small.jpg

who ? praying to?

? , L.Ron Hubbard or can't NOTHING save your ass now????
    Why would I have to pray in this situation? I'd either fight back or die trying.
  • BEAM
    edited February 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    You're doing what most religions do (and what they have done for thousands of years), which is crediting that which is presently unknown to the existence of some form of deity.

I don't try to explain things which are natural with something that is supernatural.

Regardless, I would still like to see these numbers you speak of.

Sure. It's a belief, not something I'm claiming as fact.

I took the presentation as a life experience.

I don't have that info documented, but I was there and entirely attentive for the presentation.

Do your own research.
    My not having a link on hand isn't going to debunk anything here.
  • BEAM
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Then it was about the universe and you said this talk was related to ? .

Contradictory ass ? .

HERE, as in on Earth.

I never said that the presentation had anything to do with ? .

*sigh*

You're generalizing, yet again...
This discussion has been closed.