What are your hip hop new years resolutions?

Options

Comments

• Question Authority
    Question Authority Members Posts: 494
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think most people just judge Em based on his first singles. That's where the whole "shock value" ? comes from. I wanna say a great portion of the posters in this thread have not thoroughly listened to an Em album, beginning to end, are just judging Em based on what they see on TV.

MMLP can most definitely stand next to any other hip hop classic, not only quality wise, but sales wise, too. The real question is...can any other hip hop classic stand next to MMLP?
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think most people just judge Em based on his first singles. That's where the whole "shock value" ? comes from. I wanna say a great portion of the posters in this thread have not thoroughly listened to an Em album, beginning to end, are just judging Em based on what they see on TV.

MMLP can most definitely stand next to any other hip hop classic, not only quality wise, but sales wise, too. The real question is...can any other hip hop classic stand next to MMLP?

SLIM SHADY LP

My Name Is
    97 Bonnie and Clyde
    My Fault
    ? on Everybody
    Just Don't Give a ?
    As the world turns
    I'm Shady
    Bad Meets Evil

MARSHALL MATHERS LP

? you
    Remember Me
    Drug Ballad
    Amityville
    Criminal
    Under The Influence
    I'm Back

THE EMINEM SHOW

Square Dance
    Superman
    Drips
    My Dad's gone crazy
    Without me

WRONG
  • ambiguous1
    ambiguous1 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    why would thread title be is he One of the greatest and then all poll answers be "He is the Greatest"

Do i think he is ONE of the greatest? Yes. Do i think he IS the greatest, no
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options

You Stans ? me, I have heard every album from Em in its Entirety with the exception of Relapse and they are chalked full of Saying ? just to be shocking even on his more melow joints. Most of us real HipHop heads have given Dude a chance and found him wanting he just does not grab us the replay to us is Nil. That being said you kats that love him are a different category just outside of HipHop your part of HipPop culture like dude which is a much shallower entertainment value only sub group. HipHop is more then just the music we feel and If I cannot feeli it then the ? is not true HipHop...
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Nope seriousy as I said you either think he is one of the greatest or you do not anyone who reads the initial post can get the gist of it. I mean in the same conversation someone can say that Michael Jordan is the greatest and Magic Johnson is the greatest and Dr. Jay is the greatest at different points it does not take away form any of the others it is just common speach function and phrasing. The bad look for HipHop point is because in general most who do not feel he is amongst the greats feel he can be a bad look or a misrepresentation for Hiphop which is part or most of why they do not like him. If we are getting to Literal there would be Only one GOAT but we HipHop heads tend to generalize the term as being great....
    ambiguous1 wrote: »
    why would thread title be is he One of the greatest and then all poll answers be "He is the Greatest"

Do i think he is ONE of the greatest? Yes. Do i think he IS the greatest, no
    Quoted myself to answer your question, which in itself is splitting hairs...
  • Pretty Fred
    Pretty Fred Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think he was one of the greatest battle rappers.
  • ambiguous1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Quoted myself to answer your question, which in itself is splitting hairs...

I do not think he is the greatest of all time. Sorry but that spot is for KRS and CHuck D (probably a diff person depending on the day from me)

"The bad look for HipHop point is because in general most who do not feel he is amongst the greats feel he can be a bad look or a misrepresentation for Hiphop which is part or most of why they do not like him."

Personally in regards to skill and catalog i find it hard that anyone will not put him "One of the Greats" status. The only people who i've really heard say he isnt one of the greats or that he is a bad look for hip hop, are people that cant accept his apology for using that word, and or people that just genuienally do not like dude... in which most of those cases i've came across it's b/c he's white.

That is usually why u really only hear a lot of that he isnt one of the greatest on the web and in blogs. I mean you ask his peers or people that have had their hands in the culture for a significant ammount of time all put him up as one of the best.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I do not think he is the greatest of all time. Sorry but that spot is for KRS and CHuck D (probably a diff person depending on the day from me)

"The bad look for HipHop point is because in general most who do not feel he is amongst the greats feel he can be a bad look or a misrepresentation for Hiphop which is part or most of why they do not like him."

Personally in regards to skill and catalog i find it hard that anyone will not put him "One of the Greats" status. The only people who i've really heard say he isnt one of the greats or that he is a bad look for hip hop, are people that cant accept his apology for using that word, and or people that just genuienally do not like dude... in which most of those cases i've came across it's b/c he's white.

That is usually why u really only hear a lot of that he isnt one of the greatest on the web and in blogs. I mean you ask his peers or people that have had their hands in the culture for a significant ammount of time all put him up as one of the best.

The Racist tapes still do hurt Silm's status amongst the GOATS Wiether it's wrong or not the GOAT will not have a "Racist Tape" on his resume considering Hip Hop is a Black/Minority dominated artform that was created from the struggle of Blacks in America. Sorry Eminem no matter if he ends up with 100 Million sold, he won't be considered the GOAT. The racist tapes sealed it. The Best Eminem can do now is just continue to make music and hope he ends up Top 10. He will never, quote me, NEVER be considered the Greatest rapper ever. Sorry Vibe polls don't count White America.
  • dr. zero_ahh
    dr. zero_ahh Members Posts: 299
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Then you're what most of us Em fans will call the "exception." And Em is arguably better than each of those rappers you listed, though a case can be made otherwise. So I'm not mad. Personally, I think Royce is the only rapper that comes close to seeing Em. But that's just me.

If all you care about is flow, then I'm willing to bet Em is better than everyone I listed. As far as technical lyricism, they can match him pound for pound. As far as the successful creation of a concept album, they beat Em. As far as overall catalog, I do think they have Em beat. Em is nice on the mic and MMLP is a definite classic along with Infinite, SSLP was good, TES was good, but after that...I wondered what happened to Em. His flow was absolutely dope on Encore and Relapse, but the actual "albums" just fell apart and he wasn't living up to the standard he set for himself so many years before. That's just me though. Yes I'm black saying this. Color has little to do with why I think Em has missed the mark. But in a decade of parity where there was no clear "best" emcee (maybe the Roots but they're a group), he wasn't the only one to miss the mark. See Jay-Z and Nas, his hip-hop peers.
  • ambiguous1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The Racist tapes still do hurt Silm's status amongst the GOATS Wiether it's wrong or not the GOAT will not have a "Racist Tape" on his resume considering Hip Hop is a Black/Minority dominated artform that was created from the struggle of Blacks in America. Sorry Eminem no matter if he ends up with 100 Million sold, he will won't be considered the GOAT. The racist tapes sealed it. The Best Eminem can do now is just continue to make music and hope he ends up Top 10. He will never, quote me, NEVER be considered the Greatest rapper ever. Sorry Vibe polls don't count White America.

lol well where do i start? Um people already consider him the greatest of all time and he is in many top 5 lists ssssooooo there goes your cap locked for emphasis NEVER.

Em has mad the following peoples top 5

Redman
    Jay Z
    Tech N9yne
    Master P
    Rakim
    Crooked I
    Fabolous
    Killer Mike

So again most times u hear this stuff is on the net, i do a lot of hip hop shows and talk with a lot of people that are on their day to day grind in this hip hop ? and u never really hear talks of those tapes. From my experiences at least
  • Capo1
    Capo1 Members Posts: 789
    edited February 2010
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    SLIM SHADY LP

My Name Is
    97 Bonnie and Clyde
    My Fault
    ? on Everybody
    Just Don't Give a ?
    As the world turns
    I'm Shady
    Bad Meets Evil

MARSHALL MATHERS LP

? you
    Remember Me
    Drug Ballad
    Amityville
    Criminal
    Under The Influence
    I'm Back

THE EMINEM SHOW

Square Dance
    Superman
    Drips
    My Dad's gone crazy
    Without me

WRONG

I disagree with you on a lot of these songs but the one in particular I will address is "square dance." How is that a song that relies purely on shock value? In fact, nothing about that song is eminem trying to "shock" people. If anything, it addresses the US government, the military, as well as terrorism.

There's a difference between just spitting really about nothing, and "shock" value. There are certain points in that song where em is just spittin, but for the most part the song has a meaning.

Anyways...I think its safe to say that the MAJORITY of em's material is not just "shock" songs and are instead tracks with substance.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lol well where do i start? Um people already consider him the greatest of all time and he is in many top 5 lists ssssooooo there goes your cap locked for emphasis NEVER.

Redman
    Jay Z
    Tech N9yne
    Master P
    Rakim
    Crooked I
    Fabolous
    Killer Mike

So again most times u hear this stuff is on the net, i do a lot of hip hop shows and talk with a lot of people that are on their day to day grind in this hip hop ? and u never really hear talks of those tapes. From my experiences at least

All I can say is Politics is a ? in HipHop Now a days...
  • ambiguous1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    All I can say is Politics is a ? in HipHop Now a days...

Or cats that are actually involved in hip hop beyond blogging recognize skill levels either one i guess
  • Capo1
    edited February 2010
    Options

Redman
    Jay Z
    Tech N9yne
    Master P
    Rakim
    Crooked I
    Fabolous
    Killer Mike

Well thats only becausae Killer Mike doesn't want to hurt his sales by not putting em in his top 5

*sarcasm*
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Or cats that are actually involved in hip hop beyond blogging recognize skill levels either one i guess
    Funny ? is in my circles this is commonly known in HipHop that there are certain political Lines you do not cross or there is ramifications one is interscope because they have weilded a lot of Blacklisting power the other is talking Honestly about Biggie and Puffy for a lot of the same reasons. BUt then my associates are from the west coast My Homies have worked with Folks Like C-Bo, Mac Dre, E-40, Killa Tay, Yukmouth, JT Tha Bigga, Dungeon Family and Petey Pablo etc. But hey you got your circles I have mine...
  • Capo1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Funny ? is in my circles this is commonly known in HipHop that there are certain political Lines you do not cross or there is ramifications one is interscope because they have weilded a lot of Blacklisting power the other is talking Honestly about Biggie and Puffy for a lot of the same reasons. BUt then my associates are from the west coast My Homies have worked with Folks Like C-Bo, Mac Dre, E-40, Killa Tay, Yukmouth, JT Tha Bigga, Dungeon Family and Petey Pablo etc. But hey you got your circles I have mine...

So basically you role with cats who work with WACK rappers whereas legends like Jay-Z, Common, Nas, and Rakim are co-signing em. And I guess Nas saying eminem is one of the greatest is just so he doesn't get blacklisted in rap, because lets be honest...Nas holds no weight (sarcasm.)

I guess we know who's opinion to take seriously now....
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Capo1 wrote: »
    So basically you role with cats who work with WACK rappers whereas legends like Jay-Z, Common, Nas, and Rakim are co-signing em. And I guess Nas saying eminem is one of the greatest is just so he doesn't get blacklisted in rap, because lets be honest...Nas holds no weight (sarcasm.)

I guess we know who's opinion to take seriously now....

Actually Dungeon Family isnt wack...........Thats Outkast and Co.
  • ambiguous1
    edited February 2010
    Options

So Jay, Nas, Master P, Fabolous are afraid of getting blackballed? I dont think anyone is going to get blacklisted for a top 5 list

I would think the people u mentioned should be more worried about getting blacklisted in which they should all have em in their top
  • Capo1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    Actually Dungeon Family isnt wack...........Thats Outkast and Co.

yes Outkast are legends so my mistake but lets be honest a) the rest of those rappers are nobody's with minimal talent and b) talk is cheap there is no proof the terrorist has alliances within those respective crews/groups so his post could be on BS.

Eminem is a legend...GOAT? Hell no....but top 10? most definitely.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So Jay, Nas, Master P, Fabolous are afraid of getting blackballed? I dont think anyone is going to get blacklisted for a top 5 list

I would think the people u mentioned should be more worried about getting blacklisted in which they should all have em in their top
    Afraid of getting Blacklisted maybe not, but making smart plays so that they get more exposure and reach into more White folks pockets definitely. Politics runs in many directions but primarily what helps and what hurts the agenda...
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    yes Outkast are legends so my mistake but lets be honest a) the rest of those rappers are nobody's with minimal talent and b) talk is cheap there is no proof the terrorist has alliances within those respective crews/groups so his post could be on BS.

Eminem is a legend...GOAT? Hell no....but top 10? most definitely.

Actually No again............They happend to be on of the most talented Collective in hiphop,Killer mike (idk if he affliated anymore) Jody breeze, Cee-lo and a couple of ther Rappers
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Anyways...I think its safe to say that the MAJORITY of em's material is not just "shock" songs and are instead tracks with substance.

ENCORE

Ass like that
    Just lose it
    Puke
    My 1st Single
    Crazy In Love
    One shot two shot
    Big ?
    Rain Man
  • TheHipHop
    TheHipHop Members Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Not sure about one of the GOAT'S... but compared to artist's around today, he one of the best
  • Capo1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Actually No again............They happend to be on of the most talented Collective in hiphop,Killer mike (idk if he affliated anymore) Jody breeze, Cee-lo and a couple of ther Rappers

I didnt mean the rest of dungeon family was wack I meant the rest of the rappers the terrorist listed.
  • ambiguous1
    edited February 2010
    Options

Disagree with the most talented roster in Hip Hop... ? i'd put Rhymesayers above them