The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    yesterday Dan rafael reminded everyone of Klitschkos cut vs Lennox Lewis. and he fought 6 months later

sport23SNS2356A_123549a.jpg&sa=X&ei=qWgMT5ruGebb0QGFyrCSCg&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGBmsVa8O-uDIYyk3vmHfz-93tjgQ
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    why do floyd fans hate pacman though?
    not taking a side on the matter but liking one doesnt mean you have to hate the other.
    i get that pacman is bob arums latest cash cow and toy. but i see mad sites and vids hating on pacman and calling him out for not making the fight but everyone and their momma knows the real thing ? up the fight is bob arum.
    pacman is like any other prize fighter, out to make a buck and i can't blame the dude for believing the hype a promoter puts behind him. (i blame the media for buyin the ? though)

dont hate pacman at all... and as bad as arum is it falls on pac.. you cant act like a boy.. in one place and a leaderin another

Credibility..
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i see floyd calling out manny on twitter
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    i see floyd calling out manny on twitter
    Link?

• KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Whoop his punk ass floyd
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    YO wasn't floyd suppose to name his May 5th opponent today?
  • Mastery
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »
    YO wasn't floyd suppose to name his May 5th opponent today?
    I think it was supposed to be some time this week *shrugs*
  • ghost!
    edited January 2012
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    I think it was supposed to be some time this week *shrugs*

Oh....damn it, hating waiting...but good looks mayne!
  • MR.CJ
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i still don't think they fight each other
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    floydcallout.jpg

? i just did the shoulder roll
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    KELLY PAVLIK HEADED TO CALIFORNIA TO TRAIN WITH ROBERT GARCIA
    By John McCormick

JM: Kelly, there have been rumors circulating that there is a possibility you will be making a comeback. Is there any truth to those rumors?

Kelly Pavlik: “Yes there is. I am leaving tomorrow to go to California to start training with Robert Garcia. He has a great stable, and he is a great trainer. I am going to start my career over, make some different moves, and see what happens.”

JM: What are your thoughts on Robert Garcia as a trainer?
    Kelly Pavlik: “He has done a lot with a lot of fighters. He has done a lot with Antonio Margarito and Brandon Rios obviously. He is a great trainer. I look forward to training with him and learning something different. I am not taking anything away from Jack Loew, he was a great trainer. I can’t say that he got me to where I was at. I got me to where I was at. Jack Loew is a good trainer. I am just looking forward to getting to work.”

JM: Will you be campaigning at middleweight for your comeback or are your days at middleweight done?
    Kelly Pavlik: “Middleweight is done. For now, at least for my next fight I will be having a new nutritionist, and we’ll see how that goes. As far as right now, I will not be fighting at 160. I’m too big, and it is almost impossible to make that weight. I came down from 195 and I am 6’1” ½ almost 6’2” to make 160.”

JM: I recently watched your fight with Sergio Martinez again. The middle rounds were definitely going your way until you were cut in the later rounds. I know that there was a rematch clause in the contractual agreement for that fight. Why wasn’t the rematch with Martinez pursued?
    Kelly Pavlik: “That is a very good question and I am glad you asked that. There are two reasons that the rematch with Martinez never happened. One was I could never make 160 again. Second of all, Martinez never agreed to come to a catch weight of 165 for the rematch. I went up to 170 to fight Bernard Hopkins, and then came back down to defend my title. Martinez never agreed to the catch weight. It wasn’t the cut that was a factor in me losing against Martinez. That cut might’ve been a problem due to the fact that I couldn’t make weight, I was drained, and I had to be hooked up to an IV the day of the fight. You have to understand that I hit a wall, and there was nothing I could do about it. I was winning the middle rounds and I was actually up. He fought smart, and he cut me. I am not taking anything away from Sergio Martinez, but if that was Kelly Pavlik 100% he might’ve been knocked out by the tenth round. If Martinez would’ve fought me at 166 or 167 I would’ve knocked him out in a heartbeat. For real.

JM: Now that you might be fighting at 168, which is a very talent dense division, who are some of the fighters at 168 that you are looking forward to fighting?
    Kelly Pavlik: “To be honest with you, all of them. I went up to 170 to fight Bernard Hopkins. Everyone was saying that I was afraid to fight Paul Williams? No, Paul Williams was the one that turned the fights down with me. I didn’t turn down a fight with Paul Williams to go fight Bernard Hopkins at two weight classes above. I am ready to fight anybody at the top level in the super middleweight division. Right now, Andre Ward is a great fighter. He isn’t a big puncher, but he is a great fighter. There are a lot of flaws that he has, but overall he is a great fighter. If you told me tomorrow to go fight Carl Froch, I’d fight him. Bute is a great body puncher, but that’s the only thing he has. He has no power. If you watch him while he punches to the head, he is horrible. He wins by counter punching. He comes straight in, and throws a left uppercut to the body, that is the only thing that he has. The super middleweight division is filled with talent. I fought Jermain Taylor, and look what Taylor did to Carl Froch. He was beating Carl Froch so bad that he could’ve taken two knees, and still could’ve won. It is what it is, and I keep my mouth shut. Things are said, and all of a sudden Kelly Pavlik is the bad guy for some reason. I seem to be the only one talked about in the news. I am not doing 90 days in jail like Mayweather but I guess I’d be better off hitting my wife.”

JM: Did you see Jermain Taylor’s recent comeback? If so, what did you think about it?
    Kelly Pavlik: “No, I didn’t see the fight but I read the articles on it. I am glad for Jermain. The kid has taken a beating, and I am not saying this because I beat him twice but I have a lot of respect for the man. He was a great fighter. Like I said, he was beating Carl Froch for most of the fight; he was beating Arthur Abraham for most of the fight. He just seems to have a hard time in the later rounds. One thing that I think Jermain Taylor needs is a better strength and conditioning coach. It has nothing to do with a trainer; he just needs a new strength and conditioning coach. I am glad for him that he has come back and did well. I heard about them doing CAT scans and MRI’s on his head, and that has me worried. I love the kid, and I think he is a great person overall. I am worried if he has a head problem, and maybe he should just hang them up. Jermain is smart with his money; he isn’t like Floyd Mayweather blowing his money. I think he should just hang them up. At the same time, if he is medically able to fight, and he wants to let him do it. ? bless him. If anyone is thinking about a possible third fight with me and him, the answer is no. There is no need to fight a third fight with him. First of all, we went to war both times, so why the hell would I want to fight him for a third time? (laughs)”

JM: Any closing thoughts for the fans?
    Kelly Pavlik: “For the fans that jumped off the bandwagon, it reminds me of a Tim Tebow thing. Tim Tebow was the greatest quarterback this year. He went on to have three bad games, and everyone jumped off the bandwagon, and said he couldn’t do it anymore. For me, my thing is this: whoever jumped off the bandwagon can stay off. Don’t ever come back on. Once I come back and start doing my thing, stay off. It’s funny how I become the bad guy but Floyd Mayweather punches his wife 14 times in the face, gets arrested, and sentenced to 90 days in jail and nobody really criticizes him for it. I hit a lamp post. I seem to be the talk of every boxing and media outlet. Everyone is saying Kelly Pavlik hit a lamp post and got arrested for a DWI. That wasn’t even a DWI. I guess I was better off going to punch my wife in the face 14 times and get arrested for domestic violence, and I probably wouldn’t have been criticized as much. I’m glad to know that people care about me so much and that I am the one always being talked about. For my true fans that stayed behind me, I appreciate it. Stay tuned because I will be right back. I am coming back, I am going to put on a show, and I am going to silence the critics. That is what I am going to do.”
  • Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »

Man Robert Garcia is a overrated ass trainer I swear...
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »

kelly hittin that bottle during training camp
  • ghost!
    edited January 2012
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    just incase anyone thought i was talking outta my ass...

"I want to hear… that they're willing to move to June 9," Arum said. "Then we can sit down and work out a deal."

really bob...june 9th????...he goes to jail june 1rst..........

imager.php?id=2287533&t=o

*off the manny bandwagon with this sh*t*
  • MR.CJ
    edited January 2012
    Options
    lol @ june 9th

this mayweather/pacquiao saga is funny and sad
  • Mastery
    edited January 2012
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    just incase anyone thought i was talking outta my ass...

"I want to hear… that they're willing to move to June 9," Arum said. "Then we can sit down and work out a deal."

really bob...june 9th????...he goes to jail june 1rst..........
    Why doesnt this surprise me? Lol ? Bob Arum's punk ass!
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    lol @ June 9th
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lmao@ june 9.. 8 days after floyd turns himself in..

? bob arum..

we have been saying this for years...

its funny how the narrative have changed..
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    edited January 2012
    Options
    bob got that mayweather defense when it comes to dodging this fight
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    390526_158785904230725_100002979485966_229372_2059952227_n.jpg

Floyd Mayweather
    I'm ready to put my belt up. What about you Manny Pacquiao? Let's make history
    UnlikeLike · · Share · 12 minutes ago
  • Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Vader wrote: »
    bob got that mayweather defense when it comes to dodging this fight

Lol Arum shoulder rolling all attempts of making the fight happen
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ekscape wrote: »
    Freddie Roach did an interview today and said "they will decide on the Mayweather fight within the next 48hrs".... Freddie Roach is always trying to act like he actually has a say so of who Pacquiao fights it's hilarious... Arum doesn't give a ? about what he thinks

hahhahahhahah

so true

imma say this, im interested in any fight coming up, besides this one

this whole mayweather/pacquiao fiasco is a disgrace to boxing, i swear lol

i dont know if mayweather or pacquiao know exactly what they r doing to their legacies

yea they will both go into the HOF, but there is going 2 b a BIG ASS ASTERISK next to their names, saying yea they were great BUTTTT

they did not fight each other, over bs reasons

and ive been saying this for years and years,

? BOB ARUM

its ? up that most casual fans are not seeing this ?

you have a better chance of detox coming out b4 this fight
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Manny Pacquiao to Decide on Mayweather Bout Within 48 Hours?

For the past two years, the talk of the boxing world has surrounded whether Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather would step into the ring together. It looks as if we may finally receive that answer and it is poised to come from Pacquiao in the next 48 hours.

According to TMZ, Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach said that Pacquiao and promoter Bob Arum are currently in Pacquiao's native Philippines as they mull over other fight offers. If they can find a way to delay other fights, the super fight is a possibility.

Despite the fact that Mayweather seems to be the aggressor in trying to get a fight agreed upon, Roach said that Mayweather has been ducking Pacquiao for two years in reference to a tweet in which Money May called Pac-Man a "punk."

Agreeing to have a fight is only the first step as other issues would have to be worked out as well. That includes monetary compensation of both fighters (of which Mayweather will try to get more), as well as what style of drug testing will be implemented.

Mayweather has been a proponent of Olympic-style drug testing, while the Pacquiao camp was somewhat hesitant to agree to it during previous negotiations. If Pacquiao steps up to the plate and accepts Mayweather's challenge and they can then come to terms, a May 5 fight seems like a real possibility.

Will Pacquiao agree to fight Mayweather?
    Yes, Mayweather has put him in a position where he has no choice.
    No, he will pursue the other fights he has on the table instead.
    Submit Vote vote to see results
    If Pacquiao doesn't agree to the fight, he risks tarnishing his reputation as a boxer who is willing to fight anyone at any time. The general consensus has been that Mayweather is the one who is afraid to fight Pacquiao, but after Pac-Man's great escape against Juan Manuel Marquez, it may be the other way around.

Mayweather is currently in a perfect position (other than his pending jail sentence in June) as he looks like the one who is eager to fight. If Pacquiao says yes, he gets a major pay day and the fight of a lifetime. However, even if Pac-Man says no, Mayweather comes out looking like the better man.

The will-they-or-won't-they saga that has been taking place between Mayweather and Pacquiao seems to be never ending. If Roach is accurate, though, it looks as if things may finally reach a conclusion in the next two days.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    with all the ifficulty we've all seen in the negotiations of this fight..it's a wonder how anyone can ever say floyd ducked a top rank fighter...

it's just so blatantly obvious that bob and floyd have two ego's that are borderline incpapble of being on the same page...
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I dont know why this ? needs 48 hours... we had a few years ...

now testing is... "NO LONGER AN ISSUE"

lets see.. what the ? are they pondering..