The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well it looks as the my career is officially about to start. Got an full time internship with a global reputable corporation. The pay is damn good for me. and it looks like I wont have to go the help desk route (knock on wood). I'm about to make this job my LIFE. go hard at work then come home and knock out some cert studyin

#grindtime
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    traestar wrote:
    mrrealone wrote:
    Glad this thread still up. Mane as of not even I week or two at the most. I was working the regular Help Desk for the service members over here. Welp,.... Two technicians who were ADPE got fired basically cause they couldn't pass a ? test. So now since our team was at 4 ADPE techs was now down to only two. So they walked right over to the HD and picked.... It was three of us over at ADPE. Me, an old white lady who nags the ? out of everybody, and another dude. The other dude is actually smart. Can't hate on dude, but sometimes he act like he better than others. He know his stuff. So it was the other white lady and she nags, nags, nags, nags and argues til its not even funny (She nagged me cause I put "Hi" in my emails and when customers came into the HD area she also nagged me when I addressed the service members to the greeting of "This is the HD"). So them technicians chose me. I guess cause other dude fit into the HD perfectly and they wasn't gonna get the nagging lady and if the bosses threw her over there, then the ADPE techs said they was gonna quit. So as of right now, I am ADPE which means I am taking the systems apart, fixing them, riding around the base and meeting/greeting customers. Its difficult and I don't even care for a raise right now even though I could get one. Lord willing, I'll stick w/ this side for a year or two and it's a wrap from there. I'll be able to work ADPE over in Kuwait, Germany, China, etc.. or wherever I want w/ the actual hands on training.

Nobody but The Lord blessed me w/ that one......

Congrats on the job man

Thanx mane....
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Mr Popo wrote:
    I didn't mean it like that...I meant test questions, not from the actual test, but from study guides...

Oh aight, my bad then fam. Whatever book you bought, should have come with some test questions on the CD. If not, you could use probably find a transcenders exam pack on a torrent site pretty easily.
    Perfect wrote:
    Well it looks as the my career is officially about to start. Got an full time internship with a global reputable corporation. The pay is damn good for me. and it looks like I wont have to go the help desk route (knock on wood). I'm about to make this job my LIFE. go hard at work then come home and knock out some cert studyin

#grindtime

Congrats man. Now that you in the door, make sure you do everything you can to learn everything you can. Just because you started out not having to do help desk, doesn't mean you won't still catch the L train. Whatever route you decide to go, learn as much as you can and get in on as many extra projects as they'll allow you to. The faster you move from your first position to something better, the faster you're career will shoot up.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mrrealone wrote:
    traestar wrote:
    mrrealone wrote:
    Glad this thread still up. Mane as of not even I week or two at the most. I was working the regular Help Desk for the service members over here. Welp,.... Two technicians who were ADPE got fired basically cause they couldn't pass a ? test. So now since our team was at 4 ADPE techs was now down to only two. So they walked right over to the HD and picked.... It was three of us over at ADPE. Me, an old white lady who nags the ? out of everybody, and another dude. The other dude is actually smart. Can't hate on dude, but sometimes he act like he better than others. He know his stuff. So it was the other white lady and she nags, nags, nags, nags and argues til its not even funny (She nagged me cause I put "Hi" in my emails and when customers came into the HD area she also nagged me when I addressed the service members to the greeting of "This is the HD"). So them technicians chose me. I guess cause other dude fit into the HD perfectly and they wasn't gonna get the nagging lady and if the bosses threw her over there, then the ADPE techs said they was gonna quit. So as of right now, I am ADPE which means I am taking the systems apart, fixing them, riding around the base and meeting/greeting customers. Its difficult and I don't even care for a raise right now even though I could get one. Lord willing, I'll stick w/ this side for a year or two and it's a wrap from there. I'll be able to work ADPE over in Kuwait, Germany, China, etc.. or wherever I want w/ the actual hands on training.

Nobody but The Lord blessed me w/ that one......

Congrats on the job man

Thanx mane....

No doubt, we got to start someone!
  • longmeat
    Options
    Finally got my damn offer letter. ? took forever. Still gotta finish my last CCNP exam though. Gotta get my motivation back up somehow, hopefully the new job will do it for me.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ...im nearly burnt out. took a few days off from studying...gonna party like hell this weekend for the CIAA tournament in charlotte.. (got 6 parties to hit in 2 days)..recover on sunday and monday is back to grind time. I'm not doing ? until i pass the written.
  • longmeat
    Options
    When are you taking the written? I still got mine scheduled for the end of this month.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    probably the 23rd. not scheduled yet cause i may be moving pretty soon..but thats the goal
  • longmeat
    Options
    which book you get for the written? you start studying yet? the 2 cisco press joints i found on Amazon got some mediocre reviews
  • King Erauno
    Options
    i got that joint written by Yusuf Bhaiji "Network security technologies and solutions"...its a few years old but people have said its the best overall book to read. imma read that joint cover to cover...and make sure i get all the bases covered on the 3.0 blueprint..get some practice questions and give it a try.

4.0 is coming out pretty soon...so im tryin to get this ? done before it does
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    Options
    I might have posted this in the last IT thread. I'm starting out studying for the CCNA. Is this a good path to take to begin my cert journey.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote: »
    I might have posted this in the last IT thread. I'm starting out studying for the CCNA. Is this a good path to take to begin my cert journey.

what area of IT you looking to get into?
  • longmeat
    Options
    Man I need to study...shame on me
  • King Erauno
    Options
    I suggest everyone in here schedule the exam you are currently studying for to give yourself a deadline. so you cant be out here bsing...lets get this $

scheduling my CCIE security written exam right now
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Passed ROUTE today, on to SWITCH. CCNP by May is the goal...
  • King Erauno
    Options
    valdez21 wrote:

congrats hommie
  • longmeat
    Options
    valdez21 wrote: »

Congrats. Still gotta get on my ? for the last ccnp exam. ? it though I'm taking a break and Ima play some video games instead. ? been going hard for like a year and a half damn it!
  • TANGLUNG
    Options

More specifically Networking/Security side of things. What are some other good fields to get into?
  • King Erauno
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote:

More specifically Networking/Security side of things. What are some other good fields to get into?

yeah the CCNA is a good starting point. you can then go into security, voice, wireless..and more. or you can do all of that ? too. Just gotta do your research
  • isiahil
    isiahil Members Posts: 22
    Options
    I just scheduled my CCIE Voice written for June 12th at Cisco Live. While I am at Cisco Live I am also going to take the CCIE Voice lab instructor led course. They basically give you a lab test just like the CCIE Voice, but give you access to Cisco staff to help you out through problems if you need them. This should give me good practice for the CCIE Voice Lab. I may take the CCIE Voice written before June 12th if I feel like I am in shape before June 12th.
  • longmeat
    Options
    isiahil wrote: »
    I just scheduled my CCIE Voice written for June 12th at Cisco Live. While I am at Cisco Live I am also going to take the CCIE Voice lab instructor led course. They basically give you a lab test just like the CCIE Voice, but give you access to Cisco staff to help you out through problems if you need them. This should give me good practice for the CCIE Voice Lab. I may take the CCIE Voice written before June 12th if I feel like I am in shape before June 12th.

Is your job paying for you to go to Cisco Live? SMH, I still ain't put no time into knocking out this last CCNP exam. ? it though, I'm gonna go play some PS3 lol.
  • TANGLUNG
    Options
    Can some of you guys share some good study habits? It's a lot of info to take in.
  • isiahil
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »
    Is your job paying for you to go to Cisco Live? SMH, I still ain't put no time into knocking out this last CCNP exam. ? it though, I'm gonna go play some PS3 lol.

Yea. They offering up all these opportunities and I am taking them all. All in with the instructor led CCIE Voice Lab it will be $6-$7K. I just hope they pay for my travel and hotel expenses when its time for me to take the real CCIE Voice lab. lol.

• King Erauno
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote:
    Can some of you guys share some good study habits? It's a lot of info to take in.

what ive done is for example watch a ccna video on eigrp. then go read about it some more in a book. then practice it..and find any type of labs and replicate it so i understand as much as i can about it. that would be a day or 2 days worth of looking at eigrp. with cisco, the more practice you get the better.

somebody else chime in..
  • isiahil
    Options
    The best method for me is to get a book on the subject and then just read it front to back word for word. I try to go through a chapter every two days. It is time consuming and hard work, but going through the material like that really helps me out. I have to go through all of my material at one time because if I space my studying up over months I tend to get lazy and slack off. I read everyday. That is how I tackled all 5 CCNP Voice exams in like 4 months. It is important to remember this isn't about speed, if I read a chapter and didn't understand something (which happens often. lol) I force myself to read it again until I understand it. Another important part is actually implementing the concepts you are reading about. I am in the process of building a voice lab so that I can actually implement every cisco voice feature I read about. That way I can say I understand how the feature works conceptually and then I know how to implement it. So basically everyday I come home from work turn on the Rick Ross Rich Forever mixtape and read about a cisco voice subject I am not too solid on. I keep reading about it until I truly understand it.