The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• isiahil
    isiahil Members Posts: 22
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »
    Man ever since I got this new gig a ? lost all his motivation. I should been finished this IPS exam and be working on my written now. I'm gonna try to put at least an hour of studying tonight.
    Honestly, if I made as much money as you do I won't be studying at all. You made it ? . Cut on that Rick Ross - Tears of Joy and celebrate.

• longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Man ever since I got this new gig a ? lost all his motivation. I should been finished this IPS exam and be working on my written now. I'm gonna try to put at least an hour of studying tonight.

its because you makin all that $$

yo what are some of the things you taught yourself? i'm looking for good things to supplement my ccnp right now

Man on the real I think I'm just burned out. I went hard for like a year and some change straight. I'm hoping in a few weeks this ? will kick in. Scripting is always good. Being able to automate tasks comes in handy in any situation, especially if you're in security. After I knock out my CCIE, my next goal is becoming a serious ethical hacker. I want to be able to seriously hack into systems.
    isiahil wrote: »
    Honestly, if I made as much money as you do I won't be studying at all. You made it ? . Cut on that Rick Ross - Tears of Joy and celebrate.

Naw I don't feel like I made ? . I wanna cop a Maybach and have mansions in Boca like the BAWSE!
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    Options
    Thanks longmeat. So what is your degree in, what do you do and is your job are hiring?
  • lighthearted25
    Options
    Thanks longmeat. So what is your degree in, what do you do and is your job hiring?
  • longmeat
    Options
    I have no degree, I'm in security, and my old job is always hiring; but it depends on your skill set of course.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anybody got good copies of those 2 files needed to run an asa on gns3?? i've got it working but the ? works half the time
  • longmeat
    Options
    That was the best I could get out of it too, it's why I decided to go with real equipment. GNGS3 is just too flaky for any real labs
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been grinding trying to get this reading done for my first cert in May...Gonna knock out the A+. hopefully someone will hire me, get some experience, then Security+ next
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Mr Popo wrote: »
    I've been grinding trying to get this reading done for my first cert in May...Gonna knock out the A+. hopefully someone will hire me, get some experience, then Security+ next

good luck. look for a helpdesk job..which will give you experience. try the geek squad or something similar
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well guys I have been following your stories for months and listening on where to start and what direction to take. I just want to let yall know i just ordered my A+ certification and windows 7 book and will be recieving them tomorrow. I wanna thank you guys for sharing your knowledge cuz I thought i was dead in the water without going to college. With me working full time with a wife and 2 kids my time was too limited for college. Now that i know i can bypass that long ass route in college i'm going to go for the A+, Network+, and Security+ in that order. Thanks again guys and wish me luck on my success cuz i'm certainly wishing the best for all yall.
  • lighthearted25
    Options
    So people w/o degrees, are yall working under, over or with people that have degrees? If you got a degree would your salary increase dramatically? Do yall plan on getting one?
  • King Erauno
    Options
    hnic1978 wrote: »
    Well guys I have been following your stories for months and listening on where to start and what direction to take. I just want to let yall know i just ordered my A+ certification and windows 7 book and will be recieving them tomorrow. I wanna thank you guys for sharing your knowledge cuz I thought i was dead in the water without going to college. With me working full time with a wife and 2 kids my time was too limited for college. Now that i know i can bypass that long ass route in college i'm going to go for the A+, Network+, and Security+ in that order. Thanks again guys and wish me luck on my success cuz i'm certainly wishing the best for all yall.

good luck. with the A+ if you can build yourself a machine do it. that way you will be able to understand how everything works.
    net + is a good starting point in networking tehcnology..you may want to look into the CCNA as well..if that interests you
  • King Erauno
    Options
    So people w/o degrees, are yall working under, over or with people that have degrees? If you got a degree would your salary increase dramatically? Do yall plan on getting one?

i have a degree in computer science. it helps but my supervisor doesnt have a degree. she isnt technical at all either..she's just sucked her way into that position. my other colleagues do have degrees. Alot of times a degree (or certification) alone will get you in the door. id recommend a combination of the two.

but in the end experience >>>> all of that
  • lighthearted25
    Options
    I would hate to have a degree and be working under someone without one. Its like when I worked at pizza hut at 22 and my manager was 19 lol. Obviously he had more experience and that was my first time working at a pizza joint. I guess that's the way it is sometimes.
  • longmeat
    Options
    I would hate to have a degree and be working under someone without one. Its like when I worked at pizza hut at 22 and my manager was 19 lol. Obviously he had more experience and that was my first time working at a pizza joint. I guess that's the way it is sometimes.

A degree is just a check box. It doesn't hurt to have it, but you can get far without it. Granted certain organizations require a degree, but typically if you have all the other credentials, they'll look past that ? . The order is going to always be the same.

1. Being connected and knowing the right person
    2. Experience
    3. Certification
    4. Degree

I put certs in front of degree because I've come across so many jobs, especially in security, that require certain certifications explicitly, but have degree or equivalent experience listed.

This is all my opinion by the way. If you're already working on your degree however go for it. It'll never hurt you, unless you pay 90k like my home girl did for a religion degree lmao.
  • Mr Popo
    Options

good luck. look for a helpdesk job..which will give you experience. try the geek squad or something similar

Appreciate that. I've been applying for some help desk positions, the ones I applied for were looking for someone with A+.
  • King Erauno
    Options

Appreciate that. I've been applying for some help desk positions, the ones I applied for were looking for someone with A+.

no doubt. one thing i used to do way back in the day before i had my A+, i would put A+-trained on my resume. As long as you can demonstrate the skills, they will overlook the actual cert requirement. Most of the time anyway.
  • Mr Popo
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'll try that!
  • longmeat
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Still ain't got back on my ? yet lol. All I've been doing man is watching TV, drinking liquor, and browsing the internet. I ain't ? y'all :D
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options
    longmeat wrote:
    Still ain't got back on my ? yet lol. All I've been doing man is watching TV, drinking liquor, and browsing the internet. I ain't ? y'all :D

You can do that when you making that kinda money lol

Almost where i wanna be with this home lab, few more pieces i need and ITS ON
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    at the gig i got they have me working on SAP implementation. I'm gettin the grasp of it pretty quick, it's hard to imagine databases being hard lol. Pretty much formattin ? in Excel spreadsheets and importin it all into the SAP ERP system so it'll all be under one umbrella. This ? is fckin easy to me though, I thinkin about gettin some books in SAP and specializin in databases so i can capitalize off this experience.

• King Erauno
    Options
    ayo...i havent studied much lately. Been out interviewing tho. Waiting on a callback for this network engineer position down there in the A..

? is hard trying to stay focused at times. gonna take a couple weeks off from studying and regroup
  • longmeat
    Options
    Aww man I just test drove a BMW 650 convertible today and that ? got me mad amped. Starting tomorrow Im definitely gonna back on my ? man. CCIE Security is definitely gonna be attained this year and getting back to hitting the gym hard everyday again.

Riding in that ? had a ? feeling like the realist ? ever living. 2012 is gonna be my ? damn year man!
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Alright, I'm back in this thread now. I slacked off on studying for a few months but the acting jobs are slow right now. I miss the old thread.

After I pass the CCENT, what do you guys recommend for the lab portion?
  • longmeat
    Options
    ^^^gns3 and you good