The I Watched Recently Thread *possible spoilers*

Options

Comments

• inthacut
    inthacut Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    Options
    11155175_det.jpg

Get past the so so voice over work and you will not be disappointed.

Great film
  • inthacut
    inthacut Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    Options
    safe-house-box-office.jpg

GRADE (B) Denzel is probably my favorite actor ever if not one of the favorites. So in his 3rd go around playing the bad guy comes along in this action/thriller "Safe House". It was good but I have to be honest, every since "Training Day" Hollywood loves to type cast Denzel always mentoring someone (White and young) and this was no different. It was basically "Training Day" but in the CIA instead of the police department. Denzel went hard though.

Carter-Poster-Preview.jpg

GRADE (C-) Well let me just say I know why this flopped, After "Battleship" dude career might be on life support. The acting was terrible, it felt like a B movie but with great effects. They spent over 200 Million on this and it just wasn't good. It's based off a Classic book but the movie didn't translate it well. Weak.

? from john carter and battleship came outta nowhere to get these big budget roles, and them ? flopped. he's got Savages, an oliver stone flick coming out this summer too. if that flops, its curtains for him
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    finally caught Safe House, i didnt like it

Of course Denzel did his thing but movie was predictable

it seems like im the only person who hated Watchmen
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    51m85pncJLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

damn good film. deep & complex while being completely subtle.
    fassbender & mcqueen have something special. gonna watch hunger next.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I Spit On Your Grave remake is good.

Deadheads is funny

And I be seeing Attack The Block on cable but never watch it.may have to
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    STONE

Deniro and Norton

was a great character piece psychological thriller
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock_Holmes_2_Poster.jpg

GRADE (B -), I hadn't seen the 1st one in a while so I rented both and watched them back to back. This is actually a pretty good franchise and I can't wait for part 3. Guy Ritchie's action style makes the whole Sherlock Holmes concept even more exciting. The Sequel wasn't as good as the original but it was still good. Even had Noomi Rapace from "Prometheus" in it. I liked it.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stone was hella boring to me. It was DeNiro and Norton again after The Score ..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCbvmWmqaUuB3wQz1KRpmfwkWme1nD3Z4BF87mODqhYc-wotsn7A

French film. Very good
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    I Spit On Your Grave remake is good.

Deadheads is funny

And I be seeing Attack The Block on cable but never watch it.may have to

Attack The Block is in my top 10 best/favorite movies of last year
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alien. '03 director's cut. Scary as ? . Pretty as hell on blu ray. Insane amount of value people put on cats.
  • Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me Drive was boring as ?
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    419yo-bI8YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Thing (Prequel 2011) Grade (C). Now if you haven't seen the original "The Thing" from 1982, check it out, it's still a Classic till this day. Well John Carpenter didn't return for the prequel. It was ok, followed the same formula as the original film. The only thing that made it tolerable is the fact you knew everything that was happening would lead to the original film. So it was ok, not great.

knowing-movie-nicolascage-300x274.jpg

The Knowing Grade (B) - This was actually not that bad and had a lot of twist and turns and some brutal scenes. Nic Cage is mostly hit or miss but this one turned out decent. It had a lot of themes about life and death, heaven and hell, religion and science. So I did enjoy it
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enjoyed Safe House, predictability and all. Good action and great pace.

John Carter was very meh.. I wanted it to be good but damn and on top of it meh for like 2 and 1/2 hours is WOAT.
  • Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trockm wrote: »

It was, the trailer had it looking pretty dope. Watched it and was stoned faced throughout the movie, like is this ? for real.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watched Chronicle.. entertaining movie.. ? up what happened to Steve.. smh
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It was, the trailer had it looking pretty dope. Watched it and was stoned faced throughout the movie, like is this ? for real.

thank you, glad that others feel this way. i blind purchased this movie because it was so hyped and was greatly disappointed.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that movie was so horrible
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Mercy. Okay movie. Like a 2 hour law and order episode with a korean horror director tossed in for the (few) crime parts.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just watched 50/50 great movie
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still haven't seen "Attack of the Block", gotta check it out. I really want to see "The Grey" also.

Bridesmaids_movie_poster.jpg

Grade (B- ), it was basically the female Hangover but it did have a lot of funny parts in it.

41E3uoQIJqL._SX500_.jpg

Grade (C), I can't believe you have 2 of the biggest stars in the world and they couldn't make a better movie than that. Also the ending was weak and I was shaking my Head. This should of been way more action packed and it would actually have been hot instead it was basically a Drama Love Story with a little action in the mix.

Disagree with both. Bridesmaid was 10 times better then the Hangover. I give it an A. Kristin Wig is hilarious. The air plane scene had me in tears. So ? funny. The big girl was so ? funny too. Everything came out her mouth was funny.

The tourist was a B imo. But, i hear you because alot of people dissed it. There was some good action in it. Jonny Depp came through and spazzed as usual. Dude is a beast, and was great in this movie. The end had my like WTF, and i love a good twist.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    safe-house-box-office.jpg

GRADE (B) Denzel is probably my favorite actor ever if not one of the favorites. So in his 3rd go around playing the bad guy comes along in this action/thriller "Safe House". It was good but I have to be honest, every since "Training Day" Hollywood loves to type cast Denzel always mentoring someone (White and young) and this was no different. It was basically "Training Day" but in the CIA instead of the police department. Denzel went hard though.

Carter-Poster-Preview.jpg

GRADE (C-) Well let me just say I know why this flopped, After "Battleship" dude career might be on life support. The acting was terrible, it felt like a B movie but with great effects. They spent over 200 Million on this and it just wasn't good. It's based off a Classic book but the movie didn't translate it well. Weak.

N/s safe house. i give it a C+. Just average. The ending was good. Had nice action. But as an action movie, there are sooooo many better ones. Ryan Reynolds was good though. You can tell he is growing as an actor and getting better. But again, it could have been a much better movie. I gave it a C+ instead of a C because Denzel turned out to be good at the end and that was a twist i didn't expect.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think like a man...funny ass movie really good
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw ted last night with my niccas and I have to say:

For good and for naught: this is a Seth MacFarlane product and if you are familiar with his work, you know what to expect.

Lets start with the bad: 80's references are the main course here, people. Seth continues his obsession with making you relive the nostalgic moments of his childhood and much of the humor revolves around now obscure references; with a huge chunk of the movie dedicated to a running gag involving the cheesy 80's film adaptation of Flash Gordon.

There's also the usual MacFarlane-isms: the use of cutaways, a pointless overtly long fight scene, humor steeped in pop culture, race, sex, and body functions, references to Family Guy, and the usual absurdist gags.

However (onto the good)

a huge chunk of the movie is fun. When Seth lets the stoner childhood buddy relationship flow through Wahlberg and Ted, it shines very brightly. Ill give Seth props: he and his writers really stepped up their dialogue skills. Much of the humor is faster than typical MacFarlane fare and forces you to actually listen; and the absurdist atmosphere present in Seth's work is utilized excellently in certain key scenes (the ted's apartment party scene is the highlight of the movie and the culmination of what makes Ted enjoyable).

Also, a bit off topic: the casting director has a great eye for women. Several of the supporting cast and extras are damn good looking enough to have me out loud saying "who is that?"

Otherwise, Wahlberg, Kunis, and MacFarlane all deliver very well with what their given, and Giovanni Ribisi shows up to play an extra creepy stalker obsessed with Ted.

Ted is funny, yet sags when it has to put energy into the formulaic "choose childhood buddy or love" plot. Refreshing when it utilizes the better points of MacFarlane's brand of humor, but suffers in instances from that same brand. But I can't say I didn't enjoy myself.

My score: 6.5-7/10
  • Thegreatone3
    Thegreatone3 Members Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I know I'm late but I recently saw The Avengers - Most overhyped ? I have ever seen. How dare people hype up that garbage for me to spend my money on. Never again. And that Amazing spiderman ? aint getting my money either.