The I Watched Recently Thread *possible spoilers*

Options

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw ted last night with my niccas and I have to say:

For good and for naught: this is a Seth MacFarlane product and if you are familiar with his work, you know what to expect.

Lets start with the bad: 80's references are the main course here, people. Seth continues his obsession with making you relive the nostalgic moments of his childhood and much of the humor revolves around now obscure references; with a huge chunk of the movie dedicated to a running gag involving the cheesy 80's film adaptation of Flash Gordon.

There's also the usual MacFarlane-isms: the use of cutaways, a pointless overtly long fight scene, humor steeped in pop culture, race, sex, and body functions, references to Family Guy, and the usual absurdist gags.

However (onto the good)

a huge chunk of the movie is fun. When Seth lets the stoner childhood buddy relationship flow through Wahlberg and Ted, it shines very brightly. Ill give Seth props: he and his writers really stepped up their dialogue skills. Much of the humor is faster than typical MacFarlane fare and forces you to actually listen; and the absurdist atmosphere present in Seth's work is utilized excellently in certain key scenes (the ted's apartment party scene is the highlight of the movie and the culmination of what makes Ted enjoyable).

Also, a bit off topic: the casting director has a great eye for women. Several of the supporting cast and extras are damn good looking enough to have me out loud saying "who is that?"

Otherwise, Wahlberg, Kunis, and MacFarlane all deliver very well with what their given, and Giovanni Ribisi shows up to play an extra creepy stalker obsessed with Ted.

Ted is funny, yet sags when it has to put energy into the formulaic "choose childhood buddy or love" plot. Refreshing when it utilizes the better points of MacFarlane's brand of humor, but suffers in instances from that same brand. But I can't say I didn't enjoy myself.

My score: 6.5-7/10

My boy was begging me to see it yesterday .. We have different movie taste i mean i like comedys but he loves comedies. Ill stream it.. id could live without seeing comedys in theaters for the most part
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1321359457_1322247369.jpg

Watched this last night. A+. ? 's soooo good. Perfect from beginning to end. Great action. Great acting. Worth buying.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    watched x men first class, law abiding citizen & safe house yesterday.

all were good. law abiding citizen & safe house were better than i thought they would be even tho LAC seemed completely unrealistic with
    the tunnel under the jail

but still entertaining.

safe house B-
    law abiding citizen B-
    x men B+
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just watched ted....i couldnt stop laughing and i hardly find anything funny, seth macfarland did a good job with this one i gave it an A
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    Really wanna see Ted
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    21_jump_street_blue_ray.jpg.

This ? right here man. Funnier then a mother ? . I give it an A. There were parts i was btfu so hard i couldn't even breath. Tears running down my face and ? . ? was all around great.

Ice Cube was funny as ? .
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Madea's Witness Protection - 4.5/10
    A Thousand Words - 5/10
    What to Expect When You're Expecting - 4.5/10
    Safe House - 7/10
    The Last Exorcism - 7/10

The first three I wouldn't bother to watch again. Safe House was good, nothing spectacular though. And I was pleasantly surprised at The Last Exorcism. The story line was pretty creative imo and it was creepy. Alot of negative ratings for that one I don't understand.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched this movie called Lars and The Real Girl the other day, one of the wierdest ? movies I've ever seen in my life.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw Ted last night and @Knives Amilli is on point with review and subtle racist jokes McFarlane likes to say.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tried to see Ted and it was sold out

Went to see Avengers cuz I watched the bootleg
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Castaway on the Moon. Moss. Two good movies I came across on one of those netflix instant adventures.

Sarah Connor Chronicles. Another good show fox let go. Can't complain to much since it opened up LH to be cersei. Summer Glau was a way more ruthless terminator than arnold...not including the first movie anyway.

Aliens. Classic. Preferred the horror feel of the first one, but I still love this movie. Crazy how they went and ran things into the ground mixing the alien and predator franchises. On the up side, I haven't gotten around to the forth movie and the albino alien d34fc96f.gif. Was a pretty good flick until that popped up.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo im anxious to see Savages
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw Spiderman. It was a good watch. Alot of plot holes but they had Lizard looking right.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @aneed I need one spoilers....any sign or hint of the new villain for the sequel....anything after credits?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @aneed I need one spoilers....any sign or hint of the new villain for the sequel....anything after credits?

yeah there was a after credit scene but i got confused about it
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Savages is gangster but, it builds up to weak ending that is only made up for by a crazy overall movie.Good ?

Ted is funny.it's like a ep of family Guy but somehow less ? to me
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spidey-trilogy.jpg

The Spider-Man Original Trilogy: (Part 1: B-, Part 2: A, Part 3:D) So to get ready to watch the new Spider-man, I rewatched the trilogy. 1 and 2 were very good. 1 Had it's flaws but I thought it held up well after 10 years. I hated Green Goblin's costume but William Defoe acted great in the part. 2 was great with Doc Oc, the love story with MJ brings it down but overall it was good. 3 was a disater with, Sandman was OK but they messed up Venom terribly. Overall it's a pretty good trilogy so the new series has a lot to live up to.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    thething1_1982.jpg

The Thing (1982) Grade (A) - This sci-fi classic stars Kurt Russell and a young Keith David as a team of digger in Antartica stumble across an Alien Ship and then an Alien (The Thing) attacks the whole crew. This was a very creppy and suspenseful movie. The Prequel that came out in 2011 is the background story before this one. But even 30 years later the movie holds up, you will enjoy it.

220px-Soldiers_story_poster.jpg

A Soldiers Story (1984) Grade (A) - This Classic Drama from the early 80's stars a Young Denzel Washington as well as David Allen Geir. The Lead in the film was from Howard Rollins. This film was amazing and everyone did an amazing job acting wise. It's the story of a murdered Captain in a Black Unit during World War II. It was actually nominated for Best Picture. Denzel steals the show and you can see even from his ealier performances, he was destine for greatness.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was so bored the other day i watched Hangover 2

the only time i really laughed was the first part with the monkey..

I wasnt a huge fan of the first one .. and i wouldnt have watched this if it wasnt on demand and if i wasnt bored

• kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I finally watched The Help on showtime last night....good ass movie...I didn't know it was gonna be that good..great acting...it was Funny, Sad, and of course parts made me angry...just a great film
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Silent House. There was alot of potential with the reveal; twist is better than Cabin in the Woods imo. However the execution of it was all wrong. Still a strong first half. Like always the last 20 minutes sink it. 6/10
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    finally saw Ted, funny moments but a lot of it was forced
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    amazing-spider-man-tops-box-office.jpg
    Grade (B -) Well I thought it was a pretty good reboot. My only issue was it was clearly Spidey 4. In the original trilogy they were setting up the whole Dr. Connor's storyline. I felt like they kept that story in place but threw in the whole origin again. I did like Garfield's Peter better cause it felt more like how the comic peter was. The movie was straight but I can't put it above Spidey 1 + 2. It's better than that ? awful train wreck Spidey 3 easily. I have to see what they do with the sequel but I didn't think another origin story needed to be told. They should of just started the film with him as Spider-man already.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1_AyzId_Rj1a-j72Btq0raeaDZAPVWGYUCMiqoZWGuS0_5xRdBQ

Solid performance from Harrelson
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy.jpg

I'll have to give it a second watch tbh, it's one of those movies that requires 100% of your attention