Playstation All Stars Battle Royale

Options

Comments

• stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ they confirmed 3rd party Sony favorites will be in the game in that link I posted earlier

Oh ok, bring em on then.

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    ^^^ they confirmed 3rd party Sony favorites will be in the game in that link I posted earlier

Yea, I think that even goes without saying. Sony's first party stable wouldn't be able to stand on its own.
    Besides the big 3 what nintendo characters are actually popular?I had to tell my nephew who star fox,kirby and donkey kong were and he is a huge smash bros fan.Sweet Tooth,Ratchet,Drake,Kratos,Cole,a chimera and a helgan are far more relevant in gaming today than anyone from nintendo besides the big 3.Oh I forgot you think the only notable characters in gaming come from nintendo.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

Yea, I think that even goes without saying. Sony's first party stable wouldn't be able to stand on its own.

Unless, you know.......it's actually a good game.

? forbid a game is judged based off it's own merit rather than self delusion, nostalgia and your fanwank.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »

Besides the big 3 what nintendo characters are actually popular?I had to tell my nephew who star fox,kirby and donkey kong were and he is a huge smash bros fan.Sweet Tooth,Ratchet,Drake,Kratos,Cole,a chimera and a helgan are far more relevant in gaming today than anyone from nintendo besides the big 3.Oh I forgot you think the only notable characters in gaming come from nintendo.

You're joking, right? Anyone knows that DK is more relevant than most characters today. If it wasn't for DK, Mario wouldn't be relevant.
  • VulcanRaven
    edited April 2012
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

You're joking, right? Anyone knows that DK is more relevant than most characters today. If it wasn't for DK, Mario wouldn't be relevant.

I am talking in todays gaming world us old heads know but like I said my teenage niece and nephews dont know.I like dk but nintendo has thrown him and fox under the bus for mario.When is the last time you actively heard anyone talking about dk?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Is Real

And it's awesome, too.

superbot-project-untitled-20120426060458918.jpg

Let's not beat around the bush: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has blatantly and unabashedly borrowed from Nintendo's ubiquitous brawler Super Smash Bros. in innumerable ways. But let's not sell it short, either. Even though All-Stars pays serious homage to what came before it, it still looks like a game that the PlayStation Faithful will absolutely eat-up in droves.

Rumored to have existed for several months under the moniker Title Fight, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is currently under development at SuperBot Entertainment (with the help of Sony's super-powered group at Santa Monica Studio). And after getting extensive hands-on time with the game, it's difficult not to get excited about the possibility that, while incredibly and undeniably similar to Smash Bros., it could turn out to be a very strong game in its own right.

The paramount reason why All-Stars has such incredible potential is simple. As SuperBot's president Chan Park explained, his development house has been "purpose-built" to create a fighting game like this. A lot of the talent working on the game has extensive experience in the genre. The development team totes guys that worked on series from UFC Undisputed to Mortal Kombat. These guys didn't just look at what Nintendo did and outright copy it. Rather, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale represents the definition of iteration, an evolution of the style of game that attempts to take the formula to another level.

For the time being, Sony allowed SuperBot Entertainment to show-off six of the game's characters, and the cast represents a hodgepodge of PlayStation franchises. Fat Princess, Parappa the Rapper and Sly Cooper join the likes of Twisted Metal's Sweet Tooth, Killzone's Colonel Radec and ? of War's Kratos on the preliminary roster, though Sony will reveal many more characters leading up to the game's launch, which should occur during the lead-up to 2012's holiday season.

Each character has his or her own combat style, which immediately becomes evident when you begin playing for yourself. Parappa the Rapper has strength at close range, where he can use his Chop Chop Master Onion-learned kung-fu stylings on his opponents. Colonel Radec, on the other hand, is almost entirely ineffective unless at a distance, relying on a plethora of Helghan firearms and pieces of technology from afar.

Sweet Tooth's considerable strength complements his brutal fighting style while Kratos' skill with his arsenal of weapons is obvious. But the two most interesting characters in this preliminary roster were undoubtedly Sly Cooper and Fat Princess. Sly Cooper's agility shines through almost immediately, and he has a special skill that no other character has. He forfeits his ability to block -- something every other character can do -- instead going invisible when the L1 button is held down. This allows him to sneakily slink around and get the jump on other characters. Fat Princess, on the other hand, relies on her deceptive, innocent look to get in close and cause the brunt of her damage. She can even summon forth minions such as the sword-wielding warrior or the fire-throwing wizard from her self-titled game to briefly supplement her attacks.

superbot-project-untitled-20120426060805071.jpg

In a game like this, it should come as no surprise that SuperBot Entertainment wants it to feel accessible. And it most certainly does. Attacks are mapped to the Square, Triangle and Circle buttons coinciding with the direction you're pressing on the d-pad or left analog stick, giving each character an exceptional amount of moves. The right stick can be used to throw opponents, while the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

And then there's the most powerful button in the game: R2. By building a special meter for each character -- a la Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom -- players can unleash a torrent of special attacks that grow in power the higher the meter gets. For instance, Sly Cooper's standard first level attack might be fairly unimpressive, but his second level attack allows him to bomb enemies from above and can easily ? everyone on the screen. And if you get to a third level attack, watch out: Colonel Radec will get into a body-encompassing machinegun from Killzone 3, while Sweet Tooth turns into a gigantic truck to rain down destruction on his foes. These attacks spell almost certain death for everyone else on-screen.

But with accessibility comes inevitable depth, and it quickly becomes apparent that the more you play, the more nuance you'll be able to derive from the experience. You'll develop a play style and preferences for certain characters; as an example, Colonel Radec will be a complete turnoff if you're not into ranged attacks, while Sly Cooper may just be too damn fast for you to keep track of. But there is balance, too, and no one character seems to have an edge over anyone else… at least not in this small group of six.

superbot-project-untitled-20120426060805338.jpg

Another stand-out in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is its stages, of which SuperBot Entertainment showed-off four. Unlike Smash Bros., which has levels mostly relegated to a single franchise, All-Stars has stages dedicated to two franchises each. The Metropolis level is dedicated to Ratchet & Clank and ? of War, while Jak and Daxter's Sandover Village also incorporates Hot Shots Golf. Likewise, Hades (not surprisingly) revolves around ? of War, but includes the famous PSP franchise Patapon, too. And then there's the Dreamscape, which combines LittleBigPlanet with Buzz!, complete with ingenious in-game quizzes that keep things fresh on the fly.

The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.

After playing the game, speaking to the president of the studio and then playing the game some more, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is no longer a game I'm profoundly skeptical of, but one of my most-anticipated upcoming projects. There's no reason to be coy about its inspiration -- Super Smash Bros. undeniably paved the way for it -- but no reason exists to dismiss it as a clone, either. After all, it's not very often that a clone gives its inspiration a serious run for its money. And from what I've seen and played of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, it seems ready to do just that.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html
  • VIBE
    Options
    I see what you were saying...

PS3 characters >>> Nintendo characters this gen.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sounds great no doubt this will be a better game than Smash Bros Brawl

Im maining Fat Princess she sounds like a tank/grappler
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    Options
    More games for Focus to hide at his local Gamestop.
  • VIBE
    Options
    That article just burned whatever Focus had left.
  • VIBE
    Options
    So we gotta get us all in this game, mic up and fight. I'm scared of the fighter gamers though; smoke, vagrant, Jamel etc..

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I am talking in todays gaming world us old heads know but like I said my teenage niece and nephews dont know.I like dk but nintendo has thrown him and fox under the bus for mario.When is the last time you actively heard anyone talking about dk?

In 2010, when his last game was released and went on to sell over 5 million copies.

Whenever I hear people talk about Nintendo's "Big 3", I never know which three they are talking about. LOL

What was the last Sony game to sell over 5 million copies? Who are Sony's "Big 3"? Who are its big 2 for that matter? LOL. Can a licensed Grand Turismo car fight in the game? LOL!
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    Options

In 2010, when his last game was released and went on to sell over 5 million copies.

Whenever I hear people talk about Nintendo's "Big 3", I never know which three they are talking about. LOL

What was the last Sony game to sell over 5 million copies? Who are Sony's "Big 3"? Who are its big 2 for that matter? LOL. Can a licensed Grand Turismo car fight in the game? LOL!

this guy is a pessimist

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol focus be making ? mad
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This guy hangs out with some real lames.
  • PK_TK_187
    PK_TK_187 Members Posts: 2,240
    Options
    it wont be as good as the first Smash Bros
    and the line up of characters do seem to suck
    if they cant get Snake and Dante they failed already
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @vibe....this ? does seem nice ans I'm not even a fan of fighting games anymore....but if enough folks in the arcade cop....I'll get on and talk some ?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    PK_TK_187 wrote: »
    it wont be as good as the first Smash Bros
    and the line up of characters do seem to suck
    if they cant get Snake and Dante they failed already

dont nintendo and the makers of Mgs have a agreement for snake?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah i doubt theyd get snake. i could see them pulling out some surprises though. remember sony got an exclusive deal with DC comics.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The rumored list had batman on it, but the rumored list sounded fake as hell.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    only battle royale that 360 characters take part in are male orgies.

marcus fenix was ? in jail CONFIRMED thread coming soon...
  • VulcanRaven
    edited May 2012
    Options

imm0rt4l wrote: »
    The rumored list had batman on it, but the rumored list sounded fake as hell.

Batman was actually on my wish list.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snake, Drake and Cole Confirmed for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale?

Voice actor Eric Ladin keeps on Tweeting.

A few weeks ago, Infamous 2 voice actor Eric Ladin Tweeted that he was back in a motion capture suit and doing more work as Cole, the game's hero. When he confirmed it wasn't for another Infamous game, we all jumped to the conclusion it was for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Today, he's confirmed it -- along with the fact that Metal Gear Solid's Snake and Uncharted's Nathan Drake are in the game. Or he's just trolling everyone.

ladinwater-610x564.jpg

Ladin's Tweet doesn't spell out characters, but it does say that he's part of a PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale cast with Drake's voice actor Nolan North and Big Boss/Solid Snake voice actor David Hayter.

PlayStation refused to comment calling the Tweet "rumor and speculation."

There is an IMDB listing for the game showcasing these actors, however this page has been in constant flux. At one point, it had a different voice actor for Cole and characters that have since been removed -- folks like Sully from Uncharted. So, even though the list looks solid now, take it with a grain of salt.

Let us know what you think of the cast so far in the comments below, and then vote in our poll letting us know who you'll play as first from the confirmed PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale cast.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Snake, Drake and Cole Confirmed for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale?

Voice actor Eric Ladin keeps on Tweeting.

A few weeks ago, Infamous 2 voice actor Eric Ladin Tweeted that he was back in a motion capture suit and doing more work as Cole, the game's hero. When he confirmed it wasn't for another Infamous game, we all jumped to the conclusion it was for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Today, he's confirmed it -- along with the fact that Metal Gear Solid's Snake and Uncharted's Nathan Drake are in the game. Or he's just trolling everyone.

ladinwater-610x564.jpg

Ladin's Tweet doesn't spell out characters, but it does say that he's part of a PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale cast with Drake's voice actor Nolan North and Big Boss/Solid Snake voice actor David Hayter.

PlayStation refused to comment calling the Tweet "rumor and speculation."

There is an IMDB listing for the game showcasing these actors, however this page has been in constant flux. At one point, it had a different voice actor for Cole and characters that have since been removed -- folks like Sully from Uncharted. So, even though the list looks solid now, take it with a grain of salt.

Let us know what you think of the cast so far in the comments below, and then vote in our poll letting us know who you'll play as first from the confirmed PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale cast.

lol I knew Snake was coming, glad to see Cole and Drake are in

I wonder how Snake will differ from his Smash Bros incarnation
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kevin Butler, the guy from the PS3 commercials might possibly be in this game, too.