New Lupe Fiasco Single: Around My Way + Lupe's Response to Pete Rock

Options

Comments

• Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rappers are the corniest people in music . Thats why only a handful of rappers are respected . Hip Hop is lame and will always be lame
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    Options
    i got a lot of respect for lupe and pete, but this whole situation makes them both look bad. if what lupe said in the sway interview is true then pete doesn't seem to have a legitimate beef, but imo lupe reaction was wrong too. it sounded like he never initially spoke to pete personally, only going off what "his people" told him. then when he finally did get pete on the phone after the blow up, it wasn't one-on-one. he admits that he had 6 other people on the line as well. then it sounds like these 6 people put pressure on pete to "recant" his statements to save lupe's credibility. lupe said several times "that's not what pete was suppose to say." even if you think they're wrong, how can you force another grown man what to say? i understand why lupe's upset but he should of just giving his side of the story and let it die instead of going on some arrogant rant sounding like he's a hip hop ? who should always be obeyed.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    had to wait till i got home to listen.

Lupe playing the victim card...but for someone who claim to have only just talked DIRECTLY with boy wonder the previous night, why so hostile about it? You know it's possible ya crew missing something maybe they not telling the whole story. I doubt Pete position was as clear-cut as it's being made out to be. Don't send a crew on some subordinate stuff to reach out to another artist about something like this. That's why it's more responsible and respectful for Artist to approach Artist DIRECTLY in the first place, if only from an integrity stand-point to be sure yall both stand united on the whole thing. I just need more evidence before i believe Pete would pull some intentional grimey stuff like that, Lupe hitting his character too hard on this.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bottomline, ranting on twitter is some bitchmade ? .
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    Lupe going too far. Pete already said they worked out their differences. That's as far as he had to take it. Ain't no street dude or grown man period going to apologize 100% on some ? ? . Pete felt some type of way about it, back then which is why he reacted the way he did.

Lupe sounding like the new Joe Budden, Canibus type. The sensitive dude disrespecting legends, getting hype about nothing. Someone needs to tell dude to play his position.

If Lupe was from the streets like he said, he would know that ? was just a misunderstanding and keep it moving. Don't nobody want to hear 2 dudes get hype over the phone over some stupid ? .

Pete Rock gets emotional as ? on twitter, but Lupe is the sensitive ? here?
    Makes sense.

And Lupe responded with a rant AFTER Pete Rock set everything was cool. That ? isn't any better.

Like I said before, Lupe needs to play his position and watch his mouth when speaking about legends in the game.

You kind of missed the point of Lupe's rant. He was heated not only b/c of the original issue but also b/c Pete Rock then comes out saying him & Lupe are gonna get together & do things "the right way." Which is kind of backhandedly ? on the single Lupe already has out right now. So throughout them supposedly, "smoothing things out" Pete is still ? on the single he already had given Lupe his blessing for six months prior.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wait, lupe mad at pete cuz he said something he wasnt supposed to say

*have not listened yet, but plan to*
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While cats beef over petty ? , the snakes who own the masters, sit back and profit.

That's why as an artist it's imperative that you own your own music.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listened to the track a bunch of times today.

Can't really get into it. This beat is too laid back for Lupe to do his political raps on. Doesn't fit IMO.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i got a lot of respect for lupe and pete, but this whole situation makes them both look bad. if what lupe said in the sway interview is true then pete doesn't seem to have a legitimate beef, but imo lupe reaction was wrong too. it sounded like he never initially spoke to pete personally, only going off what "his people" told him. then when he finally did get pete on the phone after the blow up, it wasn't one-on-one. he admits that he had 6 other people on the line as well. then it sounds like these 6 people put pressure on pete to "recant" his statements to save lupe's credibility. lupe said several times "that's not what pete was suppose to say." even if you think they're wrong, how can you force another grown man what to say? i understand why lupe's upset but he should of just giving his side of the story and let it die instead of going on some arrogant rant sounding like he's a hip hop ? who should always be obeyed.
    had to wait till i got home to listen.

Lupe playing the victim card...but for someone who claim to have only just talked DIRECTLY with boy wonder the previous night, why so hostile about it? You know it's possible ya crew missing something maybe they not telling the whole story. I doubt Pete position was as clear-cut as it's being made out to be. Don't send a crew on some subordinate stuff to reach out to another artist about something like this. That's why it's more responsible and respectful for Artist to approach Artist DIRECTLY in the first place, if only from an integrity stand-point to be sure yall both stand united on the whole thing. I just need more evidence before i believe Pete would pull some intentional grimey stuff like that, Lupe hitting his character too hard on this.

Exactly what these guys said.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    While cats beef over petty ? , the snakes who own the masters, sit back and profit.

If Pete Rock owned his beloved TROY, this situation would be a non-issue.
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    “We reached out to Pete in November, he said ‘Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional.’ I reminded him that it’s already been remade and put out by a ton of n----s"

So because everyone has done it, you're going to do it too? Like everybody else? I thought this kid was anti-establishment yet he wants to rap over T.R.O.Y. because everyone is doing it?

Alright, Lupe, alright. He needs to freestyle over Who Shot Ya? and C.R.E.A.M. now.

Then he says that his crew has been reaching out to Pete for six months but never man to man and then he gets on the phone with Pete with six other cats telling Pete why he called them out? Not man to man, Lupe?

...and Lupe who is always talking about letting your voice be heard and speaking out wouldn't even talk to any of the shows' listeners. lol

Alright, kid, alright.

When I hear this beat I think Trouble T Roy not Lupe Fiasco. Sorry, Lupe. If you were paying homage you would of just dropped the issue when Pete Rock said "Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional" rather than saying everybody's doing, so let me go ahead and make a single of it. Be original, man.

I've lost plenty of respect for Lupe, anybody who likes Hip-Hop knows about T.R.O.Y. it doesn't need Lupe Fiasco to “Go back and take one of the iconic records of Hip Hop and put a new spin on it and put it back out there." It's good as is.

Your rhymes are ill as always, but I doubt that you're as clean of this mess as you try to portray. Now we need to hear Pete Rock's side of the story.

• RXMasked
    RXMasked Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    Options
    now I see why CL Smooth doesn't want to work with him again lol
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “We reached out to Pete in November, he said ‘Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional.’ I reminded him that it’s already been remade and put out by a ton of n----s"

So because everyone has done it, you're going to do it too? Like everybody else? I thought this kid was anti-establishment yet he wants to rap over T.R.O.Y. because everyone is doing it?

Alright, Lupe, alright. He needs to freestyle over Who Shot Ya? and C.R.E.A.M. now.

Then he says that his crew has been reaching out to Pete for six months but never man to man and then he gets on the phone with Pete with six other cats telling Pete why he called them out? Not man to man, Lupe?

...and Lupe who is always talking about letting your voice be heard and speaking out wouldn't even talk to any of the shows' listeners. lol

Alright, kid, alright.

When I hear this beat I think Trouble T Roy not Lupe Fiasco. Sorry, Lupe. If you were paying homage you would of just dropped the issue when Pete Rock said "Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional" rather than saying everybody's doing, so let me go ahead and make a single of it. Be original, man.

I've lost plenty of respect for Lupe, anybody who likes Hip-Hop knows about T.R.O.Y. it doesn't need Lupe Fiasco to “Go back and take one of the iconic records of Hip Hop and put a new spin on it and put it back out there." It's good as is.

Your rhymes are ill as always, but I doubt that you're as clean of this mess as you try to portray. Now we need to hear Pete Rock's side of the story.

You understand how labels work bro? Pretty sure people from WB and Atlantic were on the call, because it involved their product. Nice way to try to place your opinion on it, slighting someone, thank you.

BTW, has Pete Rock heard this yet? I just sent it to someone who has a working relationship with him.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lupe been needing a box of tampons since kick push came out.
  • Hip-Hop One
    edited May 2012
    Options

Alright, kid, alright.

You understand how labels work bro? Pretty sure people from WB and Atlantic were on the call, because it involved their product. Nice way to try to place your opinion on it, slighting someone, thank you.

BTW, has Pete Rock heard this yet? I just sent it to someone who has a working relationship with him.
    Yes "bro," because Lupe not speaking to Pete Rock one on one is what caused this in the first place or was the beat imposed on him? I would't be surprised if someone said something that was never said whether Pete or Lupe. All because it was his "crew" reaching out to Pete Rock. Regardless, if they could of talked hip-hop head to hip-hop head they could of come to some reasonable agreement without all this coming about; and you're very welcome.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    damn @ that Sway interview.

I'm still not really feeling Lupe's TROY, but he sounded like he had a point there.
  • (ob)Scene
    edited May 2012
    Options

Why you making up your own quotes fam?

He said, "We reached out to Pete in November, he said ‘Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional... but Lupe that's my man, he got my blessing. Go ahead. As a matter of fact, you can't even clear the sample with me cuz I don't even own it."

? he even went onto say they didn't even want to remake the beat; they wanted to rap over the original files but Pete couldn't find them.
  • Hip-Hop One
    edited May 2012
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »

He said, "We reached out to Pete in November, he said ‘Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional... but Lupe that's my man, he got my blessing. Go ahead. As a matter of fact, you can't even clear the sample with me cuz I don't even own it."

? he even went onto say they didn't even want to remake the beat; they wanted to rap over the original files but Pete couldn't find them.
    What made up quote?

"Lupe called into “Sway in the Morning” on Sirius XM, where he broke down what really happened, calling foul on Pete Rock: “We reached out to Pete in November, he said ‘Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional.’ I reminded him that it’s already been remade and put out by a ton of n----s, and he said ‘Lupe that’s my man he’s got my blessings.’ Lupe went on the explain that he couldn’t even clear the sample through Pete Rock since he didn’t own the publishing rights."

How did I make up the quote fam when it is in reference to my comment, "So because everyone has done it, you're going to do it too? Like everybody else? I thought this kid was anti-establishment yet he wants to rap over T.R.O.Y. because everyone is doing it?"
  • (ob)Scene
    edited May 2012
    Options

What made up quote?

"Lupe called into “Sway in the Morning” on Sirius XM, where he broke down what really happened, calling foul on Pete Rock: “We reached out to Pete in November, he said ‘Nah I don’t really wanna do that, because the record means so much to me, its emotional.’ I reminded him that it’s already been remade and put out by a ton of n----s, and he said ‘Lupe that’s my man he’s got my blessings.’ Lupe went on the explain that he couldn’t even clear the sample through Pete Rock since he didn’t own the publishing rights."

How did I make up the quote fam when it is in reference to my comment, "So because everyone has done it, you're going to do it too? Like everybody else? I thought this kid was anti-establishment yet he wants to rap over T.R.O.Y. because everyone is doing it?"

If you pulled the text from the site then my bad, I only listened to the audio.

It's made up though in that they took different quotes from different parts of the interview and put them together there to make it seem as if Pete said no until Lupe pressed him by saying, "everyone has done it."

The actual quote from the audio is exactly as I typed it.

And like I said before, Pete even looked for the original beat files HIMSELF and said he had lost them.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listened to this track the other night like that's how you rock a classic track. Then I login on now to see this ? . WTF? Did Pete Rock spazz when Joell Ortiz rocked the beat? Or is he just mad Lupe's putting this on an official album? Either way, Lupe can't win with these legends even though he's been spitting flames for close to a decade now.
  • Hip-Hop One
    edited May 2012
    Options

What made up quote?

If you pulled the text from the site then my bad, I only listened to the audio.

It's made up though in that they took different quotes from different parts of the interview and put them together there to make it seem as if Pete said no until Lupe pressed him by saying, "everyone has done it."

The actual quote from the audio is exactly as I typed it.

And like I said before, Pete even looked for the original beat files HIMSELF and said he had lost them.

Nah, homie, listen to it again carefully beginning around the 0:50 second mark and Lupe says just that.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? need to just ? ...admit pete pulled a hoe move in this situation as i said when the ? first popped off and move on ...muthafuckas always try to come with a bunch of different angles to explain some ? ? ? ... what the hell part of the game is that?? if a dude was wrong then say he was wrong.... it dont mean pete a bad person ..but he did pull a hoe move point blank ... damn shame when dudes cant keep it 100 to save their lives these days boy ill tell you.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what snakes??? its a ? sample ...pete lucky his ass didn't get sued if it wasnt fully cleared like lupe said
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    maybe im alone, but i thought Lupe's joint was banging...i dont see why everybody so salty about it...i mean my goodness...

You not the only one
    This track is hot
    Ppl are always lookin for something to talk ? about
    Everyone wanted Lu to go back to rappin over hip-hop beats after Lasers
    He does, brings back this legendary instrumental
    Pete Rock starts whining and suddenly "this track is wack"
    Fickle
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »
    ? need to just ? ...admit pete pulled a hoe move in this situation as i said when the ? first popped off and move on ...muthafuckas always try to come with a bunch of different angles to explain some ? ? ? ... what the hell part of the game is that?? if a dude was wrong then say he was wrong.... it dont mean pete a bad person ..but he did pull a hoe move point blank ... damn shame when dudes cant keep it 100 to save their lives these days boy ill tell you.

He's a legend, so he can pull this hoe ? and not get called out by most ? .