New Lupe Fiasco Single: Around My Way + Lupe's Response to Pete Rock

Options

Comments

• idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $pyda wrote: »
    maybe im alone, but i thought Lupe's joint was banging...i dont see why everybody so salty about it...i mean my goodness...

You not the only one
    This track is hot
    Ppl are always lookin for something to talk ? about
    Everyone wanted Lu to go back to rappin over hip-hop beats after Lasers
    He does, brings back this legendary instrumental
    Pete Rock starts whining and suddenly "this track is wack"
    Fickle

Word. ? should be careful of what they ask for, cuz they just might get it.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »
    ? need to just ? ...admit pete pulled a hoe move in this situation as i said when the ? first popped off and move on ...muthafuckas always try to come with a bunch of different angles to explain some ? ? ? ... what the hell part of the game is that?? if a dude was wrong then say he was wrong.... it dont mean pete a bad person ..but he did pull a hoe move point blank ... damn shame when dudes cant keep it 100 to save their lives these days boy ill tell you.

He's a legend, so he can pull this hoe ? and not get called out by most ? .

man...you feel me tho ...you got dudes really cosigning ? ? ?!? lol its crazy out here...

• CJVisuals
    CJVisuals Members Posts: 350
    Options
    All I gotta say is, this track has the best display of lyricism I've heard all year, and FNL 2 is a first day cop.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so Pete didn't want this lame using his ? ? and Pete's wrong? I thought Lupe grew up listening to Ugk or some ? anyway... leave the classics alone swaggot...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    need that bump for the merge...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $pyda wrote: »
    maybe im alone, but i thought Lupe's joint was banging...i dont see why everybody so salty about it...i mean my goodness...

You not the only one
    This track is hot
    Ppl are always lookin for something to talk ? about
    Everyone wanted Lu to go back to rappin over hip-hop beats after Lasers
    He does, brings back this legendary instrumental
    Pete Rock starts whining and suddenly "this track is wack"
    Fickle

Naw cosign I felt the ? was banging, 70's product stamp of approval here...
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    1st let's get something straight. "T.R.O.Y" is ICONIC, it's one of the greatest rap songs of all time. There are certain rap tracks that transcend the genre and TROY Is one of them. Remaking TROY has to be done delicately cause that's how Classic it is. It would be like someone remaking "Dear Momma" or "Juicy". So I heard Lupe's version and I wasn't that impressed honestly, the beat didn't fit what he was trying to do and as soon as you hear that sax you think of how Pete flipped the sample. So I hear Lupe on Sway's show and he's screaming and yelling. I'm like hold up Lupe, why you so emotional? then I hear Pete's side and I feel him, they didn't really involve him, and you know how important this record is to Pete's career. Remember, Puff ? him on the Juicy beat, Pete has a legacy to uphold. I felt Lupe went about it all wrong here's what Pete had to say to Sway:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.19913/title.pete-rock-responds-to-lupe-fiascos-rant-against-him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

1 word: ICONIC
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Lupe should have reached out to Pete and see if he wouldve gave him his blessing/a go ahead before dropping his song
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    Exactly, why didn't Pete at least get a copy of the record 1st? Plus Lupe's producers didn't do much to the beat, he's just basically rapping over TROY.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 things i don't get

1. what the ? makes lupe song a remake? using the same beat doesn't make a song a remake. the content on the songs are totally different.

2. so the label contacting for permission to use the beat is supposed to mean that you are gonna be in the studio working with lupe. while him and his team re do the beat. seems like a bit of a stretch.

kinda sound like PR changing stories he says he told them know then told them yes b/c they caught him at a weak ponit where he was dealing with the death of heavy, then it's i told them yes but with conditions.

just stay your ass off twitter next time call lupe up 1st
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mToFloHZMAI

I'm sorry I got love for Lupe but if you are going to remake a Classic, you got to do better than this.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Exactly, why didn't Pete at least get a copy of the record 1st? Plus Lupe's producers didn't do much to the beat, he's just basically rapping over TROY.

basically. This some ? you release ONLY with the Pete's blessing and even then why touch it>? Theres nothing dude could've done to equal the original.... NOTHING.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    2 things i don't get

1. what the ? makes lupe song a remake? using the same beat doesn't make a song a remake. the content on the songs are totally different.

2. so the label contacting for permission to use the beat is supposed to mean that you are gonna be in the studio working with lupe. while him and his team re do the beat. seems like a bit of a stretch.

kinda sound like PR changing stories he says he told them know then told them yes b/c they caught him at a weak ponit where he was dealing with the death of heavy, then it's i told them yes but with conditions.

Well Lupe does start his song talking about "R.I.P." so the connection is obviously there. Sure it was probably label politics but Lupe of all people should of been able to reach out to Pete to get him the studio and if you aren't going use Pete even though that's what you agreed to the very least you do is send him the track before you release it. Lupe is wrong to me in this situation.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he did great on the beat
    Lupe had already reached to Pete before releasing the song, Pete decided to catch feelins mostly for the attention.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 things i don't get

Well Lupe does start his song talking about "R.I.P." so the connection is obviously there. Sure it was probably label politics but Lupe of all people should of been able to reach out to Pete to get him the studio and if you aren't going use Pete even though that's what you agreed to the very least you do is send him the track before you release it. Lupe is wrong to me in this situation.

Personally I don't get any connection with this song from Lupe to TROY. To me this is what i call a remake and really paying homage. Lupe just used the same beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxoCloGxH1g

I was originally on PR's side but as this keeps playing out to me it seems like it was blown out of proportion on both ends but that PR is more at fault. It sounds good that he would be involved and that Lupe would let him hear the song 1st but this isn't pre school and ? doens't always come off fairly, PR been in the game long enough to know that.

I'm still lost at PR releasing that statement saying him and Lupe talked it out and there is no beef. then Lupe calls and say they didn't talk it all out and he was heated. then PR just says that the phone call was confrontational.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NY and their Gawd mentality...smh

Just get the check and let the people decide if its on par...
    You can't get mad if your job is to take musicians songs that they made from scratch and flip it...

Pete Rock didn't invent the sound of Juicy so if a ? like Lil Jon want to flip it then he shouldn't get mad...
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    Personally I don't get any connection with this song from Lupe to TROY. To me this is what i call a remake and really paying homage. Lupe just used the same beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxoCloGxH1g

I was originally on PR's side but as this keeps playing out to me it seems like it was blown out of proportion on both ends but that PR is more at fault. It sounds good that he would be involved and that Lupe would let him hear the song 1st but this isn't pre school and ? doens't always come off fairly, PR been in the game long enough to know that.

I'm still lost at PR releasing that statement saying him and Lupe talked it out and there is no beef. then Lupe calls and say they didn't talk it all out and he was heated. then PR just says that the phone call was confrontational.

It's a remake in the vien of Diddy and Ma$e "Can't Hold Me Down" remaking "The Message". Same Beat, nothing is changed but the lyrics are slightly different.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pete acting like a hoe
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    NY and their Gawd mentality...smh

Just get the check and let the people decide if its on par...
    You can't get mad if your job is to take musicians songs that they made from scratch and flip it...

Pete Rock didn't invent the sound of Juicy so if a ? like Lil Jon want to flip it then he shouldn't get mad...

On some real ? tho, if you were a rapper with some classic ? you wouldn't allow ? to do whatever they wanted to something you put blood, sweat, and tears into.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's the point though. He wanted to rap over the Troy beat but couldn't because of some sample that was never cleared back in '94 or whenever it originally dropped.

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe doesnt need to do ? . Troy is a classic no doubt. But just because its a NY classic doesnt make it unctouchable. Nobody complained when Jim Jones remade a Eazy-E track with "Certified Gangstas. Nobody said ? when The Diplomats remade "Im Bout It".
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pete said his emotions got the best of him, and they did.
  • Queens Finest
    Queens Finest Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    Lupe needs to show some respect and fall the ? back...that ? is wack anyway
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh ? all sensitive, i figured this story was gon be about Lupe actin like he aint never heard it before or it was wack or somethin

Remake wtf you want, aint like ? gotta like it or listen it to it for that matter. I know i didnt *shrugs* Long as a ? pay homage, who really cares besides homie himself? I bet the bank none of yall even got the vinyl record, stop actin like yall really that real about this ?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Lupe doesnt need to do ? . Troy is a classic no doubt. But just because its a NY classic doesnt make it unctouchable. Nobody complained when Jim Jones remade a Eazy-E track with "Certified Gangstas. Nobody said ? when The Diplomats remade "Im Bout It".

didn't cam rhyme over the ambitionz as a ridah instrumental on one album as well?