New Lupe Fiasco Single: Around My Way + Lupe's Response to Pete Rock

Options
1234568»

Comments

• kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? sad that they gotta argue in public like that...and smh and Lupe gettin mad on the radio...that's some ? ass ? ? to do....Sounds like the Record label folks is the most to blame
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @SpremeXXV

Tell that to Quincy Jones who is a real Producer and put his real blood sweat and tears... Not a ? who took his ? and made it sound something else... Pete should be the last ? hating on ? for taking something and flipping it... Don't knock the hustle now...lol
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe doesnt need to do ?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Lupe doesnt need to do ? . Troy is a classic no doubt. But just because its a NY classic doesnt make it unctouchable. Nobody complained when Jim Jones remade a Eazy-E track with "Certified Gangstas. Nobody said ? when The Diplomats remade "Im Bout It".

shiidd...i liked Dipset's "bout it" remix...it was cool to see some east coast cats rap on a down south track...

yea, it was a good song. P showed love and hopped on it.

"Im Bout It" is arguably more "Iconic" than TROY. "Im Bout It" pretty much ushered in the southern dynasty in hip hop which still goes on today. But didnt nobody from Nawleans complain when the Dip barrowed it. But everybody up in arms when a respected artist from the Chi barrows one of the Meccas joint.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe doesnt need to do ? . Troy is a classic no doubt. But just because its a NY classic doesnt make it unctouchable. Nobody complained when Jim Jones remade a Eazy-E track with "Certified Gangstas. Nobody said ? when The Diplomats remade "Im Bout It".

shiidd...i liked Dipset's "bout it" remix...it was cool to see some east coast cats rap on a down south track...

"Im Bout It" is arguably more "Iconic" than TROY. "Im Bout It" pretty much ushered in the southern dynasty in hip hop which still goes on today. But didnt nobody from Nawleans complain when the Dip barrowed it. But everybody up in arms when a respected artist from the Chi barrows one of the Meccas joint.

Come on man.

"Troy" is a dedication to a deceased friend, "I'm bout it" was an anthem.

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Should Luda and 9th be mad at Jeezy for taking the Do The Right Thing beat and flipping it?
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

Come on man.

"Troy" is a dedication to a deceased friend, "I'm bout it" was an anthem.

I respect it from that point of view.

But if anybody is viewing it as "Lupe ? up a NY classic", i just cant rock with that.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options

1. Eazy-E been dead since '95. How is Eazy gonna complain about 'Certified Gangstas' when it came out in '04?
    2. Dipset version of 'Certified Gangstas' was clearly a tribute. Hence, the same title AND pretty much the same beat was used.
    3. How many people outside of Hip Hop roots are aware of the song 'Certified Gangstas' or 'I'm Bout It, Bout It' compared to those same people general awareness of 'T.R.O.Y'? Or maybe it's a question of how FEW?
    4. A collab, a tribute, and undercover licensing don't equal the same things.
    5. Dipset version of 'Bout it Bout it' was clearly a collab. Respectfully, Master P was featured on it.
    6. If the record was intended to be a kind of tribute, why wasn't Pete Rock name attached to it in some shape, form, or fashion? Even in a press release at the very LEAST would've been respectable.

so the comparison you made is weak

• a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo i really think that Lupe is being a little to sensitive......but yo he like it sampled it, got the rights from the label so yo it is wat it is...We understand how dear T.R.O.Y was to pete and a lot of the hip hop community, but nothing is untouchable as much as we would like to believe....I believe that Lupe did the honorable thing by reaching out to PR but he didnt have to......Yo why do these cats get emotional when ny cats have a gripe with something going down in hip hop, damn poster acting like Pete did something to them.....
  • Turfaholic
    Options

1. Eazy-E been dead since '95. How is Eazy gonna complain about 'Certified Gangstas' when it came out in '04?
    2. Dipset version of 'Certified Gangstas' was clearly a tribute. Hence, the same title AND pretty much the same beat was used.
    3. How many people outside of Hip Hop roots are aware of the song 'Certified Gangstas' or 'I'm Bout It, Bout It' compared to those same people general awareness of 'T.R.O.Y'? Or maybe it's a question of how FEW?
    4. A collab, a tribute, and undercover licensing don't equal the same things.
    5. Dipset version of 'Bout it Bout it' was clearly a collab. Respectfully, Master P was featured on it.
    6. If the record was intended to be a kind of tribute, why wasn't Pete Rock name attached to it in some shape, form, or fashion? Even in a press release at the very LEAST would've been respectable.

so the comparison you made is weak

lets start at numero uno

1. Eazy son couldve complained. The remaining survivors of NWA couldve complained. The entire L.A. fan base couldve complained. Especially when Jim got called out on false flagging.

2. Dipsets version was a tribute to im bout it. Lupe's song was a tribute to TROY. Younger heads who hear Lupe song might go back and download TROY, and the tribute will be passed to another generation.

3. How many people outside of Hip Hop roots are aware of TROY?

4. I dont care to speak on

5. Collab or not, Southern classic barrowed by NY artist.

6. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth are Legends. The beat has never been touched since they did. It was/is a gem. When a artist of Lupe status touches it, it should automatically be taken as a tribute.

If you wanna go deeper TROY is the first Hip Hop beat I ever fell in love with, so imagine how I felt when I found out it was sampled on the Boondocks.
  • Queens Finest
    Queens Finest Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    I cant stand Lupe..? was always lame to me.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn this just keeps getting more interesting...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SupremeXXV wrote: »
    ocelot wrote: »
    NY and their Gawd mentality...smh

Just get the check and let the people decide if its on par...
    You can't get mad if your job is to take musicians songs that they made from scratch and flip it...

Pete Rock didn't invent the sound of Juicy so if a ? like Lil Jon want to flip it then he shouldn't get mad...

On some real ? tho, if you were a rapper with some classic ? you wouldn't allow ? to do whatever they wanted to something you put blood, sweat, and tears into.

If i was a producer who made a beat like troy and a ? like lupe came to me reached out and his label was gunna pay for the beat (which i would hope i own unlike pete rock) it would be a good look and also keep me relavent again.

The error pete made was ? in public on twitter because he would be getting all positive attention if he didnt ? . And if there was an issue he should have talked man to man no press just a personal phone call. Hell at least a lupe was using the beat/actually not going techno. Its not like waka was trina spit over troy.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options

6. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth are Legends. The beat has never been touched since they did. It was/is a gem. When a artist of Lupe status touches it, it should automatically be taken as a tribute.

If you wanna go deeper TROY is the first Hip Hop beat I ever fell in love with, so imagine how I felt when I found out it was sampled on the Boondocks.

i'd bet a fairly considerable number, and that T.R.O.Y. has more awareness among average people who lack an extensive Hip Hop background. Hard to prove though.

And to the other point -- who decides that it should be automatically accepted as such? Lupe and his team is the borrower. Pete is the originator, so i think he have a bit of say-so on what is to be considered as 'paying homage' to him, especially if he asked to work with him.

It was as i suspected...Pete was initially given the impression that he would be more involved with the project in respect towards the integrity of the original work, being that the Lupe joint was to be an official release. But Pete humble lil request was ignored. Why? Who dropped the ball on that?

In Pete's defense, his reaction on twitter at worse was natural, though emotional.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'd bet a fairly considerable number, and that T.R.O.Y. has more awareness among average people who lack an extensive Hip Hop background. Hard to prove though.

And to the other point -- who decides that it should be automatically accepted as such? Lupe and his team is the borrower. Pete is the originator, so i think he have a bit of say-so on what is to be considered as 'paying homage' to him, especially if he asked to work with him.

It was as i suspected...Pete was initially given the impression that he would be more involved with the project in respect towards the integrity of the original work, being that the Lupe joint was to be an official release. But Pete humble lil request was ignored. Why? Who dropped the ball on that?

In Pete's defense, his reaction on twitter at worse was natural, though emotional.

while a natural frustration i would expect a vet like pete to know not to ? on a social media site and talk directly to lupe though. Which after getting the facts I cant give pete a pass for multiple ? ? posts on twitter. If he had 1 statement after letting his emotions settle i could respect that. But whinny on twitter for 3+ posts is whinny.