Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I love how in the beginning he looks to be freaked out by his super hearing and Martha is helping him hone his ability. That shot of him taking off and then orbiting the Earth DOPE. And that cape...that ? cape.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I wanna see the movie now.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I have to say it does look a bit pretentious. I hope it's not that self serious as that was one of the major flaws of the last ? movie bearing the godly Superman name. Sucking out the fun of Superman and making him sulk like Batman is a big mistake. The fact that Supes doesn't really do that is one of the key contrasts between both characters. Superman is inspiration and hope. Humility and doing the best you can with your ? given abilities to make the world better. So I hope there isn't too much moping like in Superman Returns. That would be a big mistake.

These guys finally got the one guy I always wanted to see in the role to play the part. They're finally reintroducing the mythos with a proper reboot to a new generation like I always suggested. Which as another reason why Singer failed so miserably. Most people don't know Superman so don't assume that they do and actually introduce people to who he really is from the ground up. It's the reason why Smallville in all it's mediocrity still found an audience outside of us Superman comic book fans.

So by all accounts I should still keep the faith and I will but yeah that trailer was a bit too somber for the character.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    its a little bit dark, and i do hope he at least cracks a smile during the movie. but damned if it wasnt epic as ? . Cavill actually looks like Superman, like Reeve did. Like the world's older protective brother. My big problem with Routh was that he came off as too timid, like a little brother, not an older one.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo man if they dont show superman ? up some ? in the next trailer im not paying to see this

these directors are taking this ? Supes too serious this is not the watchmen this is Superman for petes sake this ? name is Superman let this ? do some super ? so we can turn into lil kids again in amazement like were watching a real life comic book not a lifetime movie.........

but real talk imma see this ? lol
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trailer makes me want to see it right now , so that's a very successful trailer...

it can't possibly be any worse than Superman returns....nowhere to go but up.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trailer makes me want to see it right now , so that's a very successful trailer...

this, and if we are honest with ourselves the other films were filled with cheese wiz... i put my faith in Nolan not only will be a visual/audio delight but the psychological aspect of US and superman will be explored in a similar fashion that batman was
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gotdamn..man...gotdamn vwhen he charges ot take off and the ice particles gather ....soaring the skies the epic walk out the fortress ZOD buildings crumbling ? I need june here now ? a mayan calender
  • Still Cool Beans
    Options

this, and if we are honest with ourselves the other films were filled with cheese wiz... i put my faith in Nolan not only will be a visual/audio delight but the psychological aspect of US and superman will be explored in a similar fashion that batman was

This right here. Snyder will bring the visuals and the Nolans ensure depth. This is where I differ with those who keep calling it a darker take etc. I don't see that at all. Introspective, yes. Grounded, yes. Dark, not so much. I very much still get the Supes being a beacon of light in a cynical and skeptical world much like the one we actually exist in.

And whether we get Supes throwing down in the next trailer or not, we have nothing to worry about. This is a Snyder film with super powered extraterrestrials afterall and Zack himself is quoted as saying Supes will finally get to kick some ass.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It's not even about it looking like "our world" (which it doesn't) as it is things like Pa Kent telling Clark that yeah maybe he should've let a busload of children die. I hope that was like some out of context edit or something. I usually have no problems with changes to the canon or whatever but it seems like a bit too much on the "grounded" side. That didn't help Superman Returns. At all. It was a detriment.

Also bringing up that a 30 plus year old movie has cheesy elements like many other family classics from the 70's did is a moot point. Especially when that movie is still more entertaining than the majority of superhero movies to come out in the last decade and change.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    broddie wrote: »
    It's not even about it looking like "our world" (which it doesn't) as it is things like Pa Kent telling Clark that yeah maybe he should've let a busload of children die. I hope that was like some out of context edit or something. I usually have no problems with changes to the canon or whatever but it seems like a bit too much on the "grounded" side. That didn't help Superman Returns. At all. It was a detriment.

Also bringing up that a 30 plus year old movie has cheesy elements like many other family classics from the 70's did is a moot point. Especially when that movie is still more entertaining than the majority of superhero movies to come out in the last decade and change.

I disagree. I believe that Nolan is gonna demonstrate why Superman is a beacon of hope for all of humanity. Its about overcoming odds that few can comprehend, while inspiring others why the symbol is always needed.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    yeah the Pa Kent maybe seemed a little harsh and too different. But it may have just been badly edited. hearing it again it sounds like it was cut off mid sentence/
  • Still Cool Beans
    Options
    When I speak of MOS's reality being much like our own I'm speaking in terms of social and societal. Our cynical nature as humans. For example, in S:TM Supes is welcomed with open arms from the moment of his arrival. In the real world, if an alien dropped from the sky, no matter how well intentioned, most (especially the govts of the world) would approach the idea with skepticism and trepidation. That's how it is being handled in this film, as if an actual super powered alien were to appear in a reality similar to our own. To me that's what grounded means (as grounded as a movie with ? -like extraterrestrials can be that is). SR wasn't even remotely grounded IMO. It was still holding on to Donnerverse.

In regards to the Pa Kent line, there was actually a trailer description that leaked the night before the release over at SHH and as I was reading that portion of the description, my first reaction was nah this ? is fake cause Jonathan wouldn't tell him that. However, it's different reading it as oppose to seeing it. When I seen it I could tell by the way Costner said it and his body language he wasn't comfortable saying it, nor did he say it with any conviction. That and I'm sure the conversation doesn't end like that (if it does THEN I'd have a huge issue with it). What it suggests to me though is that Pa Kent, like any and every parent that is not a 2 dimensional character, is worried about his son and is willing to go to any length to protect him from those who will either ostracise, abuse (attempt to any way) or take advantage of him if he is found out. Things he's not mature enough to handle. I'd like to see how that scene plays out though since everything is strategic so they obviously put that in the trailer for a reason.
  • iron man1
    Options
    Good points right there that's really what they're going for not necessarily dark just more realistic depiction of the world today which is pretty bad in todays times and basically what would happen if a being with powers beyond anything on earth was born and raised to be a human.A being who doesn't have to stay on this planet but instead chooses to not only stay but protect these people that could possibly fear him just because he has the power and believes its right to do so I can't wait for this movie
  • Broddie
    edited December 2012
    Options
    When I speak of MOS's reality being much like our own I'm speaking in terms of social and societal. Our cynical nature as humans. For example, in S:TM Supes is welcomed with open arms from the moment of his arrival. In the real world, if an alien dropped from the sky, no matter how well intentioned, most (especially the govts of the world) would approach the idea with skepticism and trepidation. That's how it is being handled in this film, as if an actual super powered alien were to appear in a reality similar to our own. To me that's what grounded means (as grounded as a movie with ? -like extraterrestrials can be that is).

You mean like today’s Superman comic books? Which still manage to accomplish that while retaining an element of fun fantastical adventure unlike this trailer? To it’s credit it is indeed just a trailer. For all I know the movie could end up being a lot of fun in the end.
    SR wasn't even remotely grounded IMO. It was still holding on to Donnerverse.

Just because it foolishly clinged to Superman’s movie past doesn’t mean it wasn’t grounded. Lois Lane moved on and found a legit guy in her life like a real woman would instead of clinging to hopes of Superman coming back to sweep her off her feet.

Richard White the guy she got with is presented as a stand up man even more so than Superman himself. Lois found a great guy even after having a relationship with the greatest guy she had known like many real women manage to do. Killing any cartoonish notion that the leading lady couldn’t find a quality man to share her life with outside of the male protagonist like in every fantasy other fantasy story.

Lex Luthor was set free because the biggest testimony for his trial was never delivered by it’s greatest witness Superman. Similar to how many criminals get away with murder everyday in the real world because key testimonies are never delivered.

Superman feeling completely alienated and alone decides to investigate whether or not he really is the last of his kind and goes off to do just that. Similar to lonely people in this world. The ones doing their best to follow up on their family lineage when presented with possibilities of having other family members out there somewhere. Then they end up tracking them down.

Now whether the grounded elements were consistent or even respectful of the characters and their established ideal is another story altogether. But to say they weren’t present in the movie is pretty foolish.
    What it suggests to me though is that Pa Kent, like any and every parent that is not a 2 dimensional character, is worried about his son and is willing to go to any length to protect him from those who will either ostracise, abuse (attempt to any way) or take advantage of him if he is found out.

Hold up are you trying to imply that Pa Kent as we have grown to know him over the decades is 2 dimensional? I’d argue that it’s more realistic to have the man who advocates selflessness and being the best human being you can be instill his ? like son with the same principles. As opposed to having him say something as selfish as what Kevin Costner said in that trailer there.

Granted I’m staying away from spoilers as I always do especially considering that this is the only movie that I plan to see next summer. So we’ll see what the context of it all really is. But a key factor to Superman is the notion of “Clark loves Lois, Lois loves Superman and Superman loves Clark” that many of the greatest writers of the character always followed.

Why does Superman love Clark? Because it was the greatest gift he ever received from the Kents. A sense of true moral responsibility, humility and selflessness that only truly upstanding parents could instill within their children. Something that keeps the ? like being from being a ? that decides to just take over the world on a whim.

A big part of that is Pa Kent encouraging his son from childhood to use his abilities for the greater good and in an unselfish manner while still retaining his mystique and identity & not exposing his face to the world. Even a ? TV soap opera aimed at teenagers understood that. That line in the trailer pretty much spits all over that. Just makes it seem like they're trying too hard to make this seem credible when it's not even necessary and presents one of the most altruistic characters in all of media (Jonathan Kent) as an ? . But again we’ll see what’s really good with the context by June.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Synders Films Tend Be Dark That's Why Watchmen Worked So Well...Not Sure If hes A Good Fit For The Blue Boyscout But We'll See...An "Edgier" Superman Wouldn't The Worst Thing In The World Or Would It?
  • Still Cool Beans
    edited December 2012
    Options
    When I speak of MOS's reality being much like our own I'm speaking in terms of social and societal. Our cynical nature as humans. For example, in S:TM Supes is welcomed with open arms from the moment of his arrival. In the real world, if an alien dropped from the sky, no matter how well intentioned, most (especially the govts of the world) would approach the idea with skepticism and trepidation. That's how it is being handled in this film, as if an actual super powered alien were to appear in a reality similar to our own. To me that's what grounded means (as grounded as a movie with ? -like extraterrestrials can be that is).

You mean like today’s Superman comic books? Which still manage to accomplish that while retaining an element of fun fantastical adventure unlike this trailer? To it’s credit it is indeed just a trailer. For all I know the movie could end up being a lot of fun in the end.

Agreed, who's to say that it won't be.

SR wasn't even remotely grounded IMO. It was still holding on to Donnerverse.

Just because it foolishly clinged to Superman’s movie past doesn’t mean it wasn’t grounded. Lois Lane moved on and found a legit guy in her life like a real woman would instead of clinging to hopes of Superman coming back to sweep her off her feet.

Richard White the guy she got with is presented as a stand up man even more so than Superman himself. Lois found a great guy even after having a relationship with the greatest guy she had known like many real women manage to do. Killing any cartoonish notion that the leading lady couldn’t find a quality man to share her life with outside of the male protagonist like in every fantasy other fantasy story.

Lex Luthor was set free because the biggest testimony for his trial was never delivered by it’s greatest witness Superman. Similar to how many criminals get away with murder everyday in the real world because key testimonies are never delivered.

Superman feeling completely alienated and alone decides to investigate whether or not he really is the last of his kind and goes off to do just that. Similar to lonely people in this world. The ones doing their best to follow up on their family lineage when presented with possibilities of having other family members out there somewhere. Then they end up tracking them down.

Now whether the grounded elements were consistent or even respectful of the characters and their established ideal is another story altogether. But to say they weren’t present in the movie is pretty foolish.

SR had adult themes but to me having adult themes doesn't make it grounded. Too many caricatures of people to be grounded.
    What it suggests to me though is that Pa Kent, like any and every parent that is not a 2 dimensional character, is worried about his son and is willing to go to any length to protect him from those who will either ostracise, abuse (attempt to any way) or take advantage of him if he is found out.

Hold up are you trying to imply that Pa Kent as we have grown to know him over the decades is 2 dimensional? I’d argue that it’s more realistic to have the man who advocates selflessness and being the best human being you can be instill his ? like son with the same principles. As opposed to having him say something as selfish as what Kevin Costner said in that trailer there.

Granted I’m staying away from spoilers as I always do especially considering that this is the only movie that I plan to see next summer. So we’ll see what the context of it all really is. But a key factor to Superman is the notion of “Clark loves Lois, Lois loves Superman and Superman loves Clark” that many of the greatest writers of the character always followed.

Why does Superman love Clark? Because it was the greatest gift he ever received from the Kents. A sense of true moral responsibility, humility and selflessness that only truly upstanding parents could instill within their children. Something that keeps the ? like being from being a ? that decides to just take over the world on a whim.

A big part of that is Pa Kent encouraging his son from childhood to use his abilities for the greater good and in an unselfish manner while still retaining his mystique and identity & not exposing his face to the world. Even a ? TV soap opera aimed at teenagers understood that. That line in the trailer pretty much spits all over that. Just makes it seem like they're trying too hard to make this seem credible when it's not even necessary and presents one of the most altruistic characters in all of media (Jonathan Kent) as an ? . But again we’ll see what’s really good with the context by June.

The only thing I'm implying is that any REAL human being who is a parent worried about the well-being of their child (an exceptionally different one at that) would obviously be conflicted between wanting your child to do what's right and wanting to protect that child at all costs (there is inherent risk involved with a super powered child using his abilities in any instance no matter how altruistic). Hence the conflict I personally sensed in his voice and body language when he said it. You can not like that aspect of this iteration of Jonathan but it is a real human emotion grounded in reality. Again, like you I'd like to see how that scene plays out before jumping to conclusion about what type of moral compass Jonathan will be.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I speak of MOS's reality being much like our own I'm speaking in terms of social and societal. Our cynical nature as humans. For example, in S:TM Supes is welcomed with open arms from the moment of his arrival. In the real world, if an alien dropped from the sky, no matter how well intentioned, most (especially the govts of the world) would approach the idea with skepticism and trepidation. That's how it is being handled in this film, as if an actual super powered alien were to appear in a reality similar to our own. To me that's what grounded means (as grounded as a movie with ? -like extraterrestrials can be that is). SR wasn't even remotely grounded IMO. It was still holding on to Donnerverse.

In regards to the Pa Kent line, there was actually a trailer description that leaked the night before the release over at SHH and as I was reading that portion of the description, my first reaction was nah this ? is fake cause Jonathan wouldn't tell him that. However, it's different reading it as oppose to seeing it. When I seen it I could tell by the way Costner said it and his body language he wasn't comfortable saying it, nor did he say it with any conviction. That and I'm sure the conversation doesn't end like that (if it does THEN I'd have a huge issue with it). What it suggests to me though is that Pa Kent, like any and every parent that is not a 2 dimensional character, is worried about his son and is willing to go to any length to protect him from those who will either ostracise, abuse (attempt to any way) or take advantage of him if he is found out. Things he's not mature enough to handle. I'd like to see how that scene plays out though since everything is strategic so they obviously put that in the trailer for a reason.

In agreement with everything said here.

Also...didn't mean to hit the wack button on your post. Hard to get the buttons right when posting from my phone. Lol.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I doubt that Jonathan Kent quote was edited so it sounds like it does. I think there is more to the convo and more to the context.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Him orbiting the earth was sick as ? . I know Snyder is going to get it popping when it comes to Cinematography, you know this project is this dude's ? .
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    Very good trailer IMO. It looks like Snyder is taking this iconic character seriously. And I love his suit. Looks alien-like and the cape is just perfect.

Supes doesn't need an "alien looking," costume because he's Superman and the ? was made here on earth. And what's up with the ? floating in the water with a bread? This trailer tells me nothing about this movie.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I trust snyder and nolan both have put in respectable work....I admit I highly doubted nolan before batman begins
  • iron man1
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    Very good trailer IMO. It looks like Snyder is taking this iconic character seriously. And I love his suit. Looks alien-like and the ca,pe is just perfect.[/quote,]

Supes doesn't need an "alien looking," costume because he's Superman and the ? was made here on earth. And what's up with the ? floating in the water with a bread? This trailer tells me nothing about this movie.
    Possibly the ship he was on exploded somehow hence why he was on fire later in the trailer