If Food & Liquor II is a classic, Lupe is Officially a 2000's GOAT: Agree or Disagree?

Options

Comments

• BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    on top of that ? not being as smart as he would like to think
    he don't know how to make good music
    it's either some pseudo intellectual preachy ? or it's some ol rappity rap boring ?
    ? need to learn how to spit and make that ? entertaining at the same time
    although i liked the cool and food and liquor them ? was filled with those 2 types of songs
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's either some pseudo intellectual preachy ? or it's some ol rappity rap boring ?
    although i liked the cool and food and liquor them ? was filled with those 2 types of songs

? post.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

that's just the way he is

Just like Ross or jeezy gon do the trap rap, street music, lupe gon do the pseudo intellectual rappity stuff
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanye west though????
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Ye's catalogue>>>>> Lupe's
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CJ wrote: »
    CJ wrote: »
    I think F&L is a classic , The Cool is good but not much replay value and Lasers is ass. But his mixtapes and the FL Advance dope as ? . Lupe one of the best from this era

Much better poster when u not YM cheerleading
    shut the ? up

Dedication 4 August 30th
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    We never got anything of value in the 2000's?...Jay ain't give ? the blueprint?...Nas ain't drop 4 of his greatest albums?....Ludacris ain't come back for the first time?...Twista ain't go Kamikaze?...Eminem ain't tell you why he's just the way he is?...Crooked I ain't give you hip hop weekly?...TIP ain't make classic music for the trap?...Wayne ain't drop Go DJ?...Common ain't drop BE?...Talib ain't wake up in the mornin feelin his highs and his lows?...Shawnna ain't have one of the hardest female rap albums ever?...? hip hop...No value in it...

and there you have it...
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    We never got anything of value in the 2000's?...Jay ain't give ? the blueprint?...Nas ain't drop 4 of his greatest albums?....Ludacris ain't come back for the first time?...Twista ain't go Kamikaze?...Eminem ain't tell you why he's just the way he is?...Crooked I ain't give you hip hop weekly?...TIP ain't make classic music for the trap?...Wayne ain't drop Go DJ?...Common ain't drop BE?...Talib ain't wake up in the mornin feelin his highs and his lows?...Shawnna ain't have one of the hardest female rap albums ever?...? hip hop...No value in it...

I was exaggerating with that post, but my thesis stands, Lupe don't have much comp in the 2000s, not taking away from what he did. Plus most them dudes cept TI and Luda been out since the 90s. From what I understand it's best since 2000, unless I'm mistaken. Now, if we're talking everyone that put out product, only Jay, Em and Nas put out better albums. Either way, Lu is top 5 since 2000.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Why can't Lupe just be a dude with a solid catalog why does he have to be the GOAT of 2000s or whatever the ? . Why do y'all have to take ? to the extreme.

Not sure anything is being taken to the extreme.

I think it's a valid question, better than threads about MMG or YMCMB being the best of what hip-hop has to offer, when they don't really contribute anything positive to the game.

Who makes those threads? Majority of the IC hates YMCMB and the rest pick and choose with MMG memeber they like more at the moment between Meek Mill and Wale
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only Jay, Em, and Nas?...Cuh, Young Buck put out a better album than Lupe...Matter fact, Buck killed that "Hip Hop Saved My Life"...Harder than Lupe...My point is just that within the years since 2000...There has been an almost immeasurable amount of valuable good music released...Lupe has had a lotta competition...
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe is top 5 to emerge from the 2000s imo.

Lupe.
    T.I..
    Young Buck.
    Joe Budden.
    Pusha-T.

But if we talking albums in general from the 2000s then F&L is definitely top ten imo.

Be - Common.
    Like Water For Chocolate - Common.
    American Gangster - Jay-Z.
    A Gangster & A Gentleman - Styles P.
    The Blueprint - Jay-Z.
    Supreme Clientele - Ghostface.
    College Dropout - Kanye.
    Late Registration - Kanye.
    Graduation - Kanye.
    Food & Liquor - Lupe.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only Jay, Em, and Nas?...Cuh, Young Buck put out a better album than Lupe...Matter fact, Buck killed that "Hip Hop Saved My Life"...Harder than Lupe...My point is just that within the years since 2000...There has been an almost immeasurable amount of valuable good music released...Lupe has had a lotta competition...

Miles you my dude and all but

terryface.gif
  • ds.williams
    ds.williams Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    lupe is good and I like food and liquor.....but in IMO he tires to hard to be a smart, concious rapper...instead of just letting whatever happens happen

CS...when I say he's a lil pretentious this is what I mean...you don't hear anyone say Common, Mos or Talib try too hard to be sound smart...But you do hear that about Nas sometimes...

Reason I say Lupe is pretentious can be summed up in a line from Bad ? ..

"Now let's say that they less concerned with him
    And more with the video girl acquiescent to his whims"

Acquiescent?..was it necessary to use this word?...One of George Orwell's rules of writin' was not to use big, uncommon words when a regular word would do...(Another one of his rules was to ignore all his rules if they made your work sounds silly...so...whatever)

Just a small example...When you do things like that is comes off as though you're tryin' to sound smart...

What if that's apart of his normal lexicon? Oops, I said lexicon, so clearly I'm trying to sound smart. If dude has an expansive vocabulary and wishes to utilize it in the hope that *gasp* listeners may learn, then why knock him for it? Just because people use "big words" it doesn't mean they are trying to sound intelligent, that just might be the way they talk. We are so quick to demonize intelligence but love to embrace stupidity and ignorance.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Yeah that whole argument about him using big words is pretty ridiculous. Why does him using big words automatically mean he's "trying to sound smart?" Its HIS vocab, its not his job to use smaller words just to appease some folks.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the fact that he uses big words
    it's the fact that he tries to pass his opinion off as fact and has no way to back that ? up
    i know we all remember the "obama is the biggest terrorist" blunder
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So far Lamborghini Angels peaked at #92 on the Hot 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0fSCoOfQqU

He was 2 for 3 when I heard that song, I'm def copping F&L2.
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I cant wait for the video for that track. To me, I think its legit one of the hottest songs to come out in the last few years. I'm actually shocked its made the top 100 and so fast.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ? the fact that he uses big words
    it's the fact that he tries to pass his opinion off as fact and has no way to back that ? up
    i know we all remember the "obama is the biggest terrorist" blunder

it's because it's HIS opinion. every body's personal opinion = their personal fact.
    and the simple fact that, you're listening to HIS PERSONAL album you'll hear HIS PERSONAL VIEWS in which he believes in. Therefore it's HIS FACT.

and Obama being a U.S president = terrorist, is not a blunder.

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @MCTheRapper

Did you really just say a Rick Ross song talking about his fake drug come up was more positive than "? Bad"?

SMFH, and your the one complaining about GOAT and Classics, really?

? standin' in line, they wanna hold me back
    I multiplied my hustle, stimulated my mind
    Motivated my ? and we'll never divide, NO!

seems positive to me

Momma workin' three jobs 'til I told her to quit
    How we rose from the sewers, funny now I'm the ?

seems like he overcame obstacles for a better situation hey but whatever
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lupe is good and I like food and liquor.....but in IMO he tires to hard to be a smart, concious rapper...instead of just letting whatever happens happen

CS...when I say he's a lil pretentious this is what I mean...you don't hear anyone say Common, Mos or Talib try too hard to be sound smart...But you do hear that about Nas sometimes...

Acquiescent?..was it necessary to use this word?...One of George Orwell's rules of writin' was not to use big, uncommon words when a regular word would do...(Another one of his rules was to ignore all his rules if they made your work sounds silly...so...whatever)

Just a small example...When you do things like that is comes off as though you're tryin' to sound smart...

What if that's apart of his normal lexicon? Oops, I said lexicon, so clearly I'm trying to sound smart. If dude has an expansive vocabulary and wishes to utilize it in the hope that *gasp* listeners may learn, then why knock him for it? Just because people use "big words" it doesn't mean they are trying to sound intelligent, that just might be the way they talk. We are so quick to demonize intelligence but love to embrace stupidity and ignorance.

Clearly didn't read/comprehend my post...and yes, sayin' 'lexicon' instead of 'vocabulary' is clearly an attempt at intellectualism...Never in my post did I say you should embrace stupidity and ignorance...I said usin' an unusual word, like 'lexicon', when it isn't necessary can come off as pretentious...
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not every rapper is here to entertain you.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only rapper from this generation that can hang with Lupe is Shad really.

With 3 dope albums + mixtape material Lupe will have more good material. So yeah, i would give him the #1 spot.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    00's is already over. F&L2 has nothing to do with it, nor does Lasers, which was released in 2011
  • ratchet bity
    ratchet bity Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    Options

Clearly didn't read/comprehend my post...and yes, sayin' 'lexicon' instead of 'vocabulary' is clearly an attempt at intellectualism...Never in my post did I say you should embrace stupidity and ignorance...I said usin' an unusual word, like 'lexicon', when it isn't necessary can come off as pretentious...

using pretentious comes off as pretentious
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Acquiescent?..was it necessary to use this word?...

Just because the word isn't commonly used doesn't mean everybody should avoid it. Orwell is one writer, and Lupe is another. Two different people, writing styles, and forms of entertainment. Maybe he used that word because it fit the flow.