If Food & Liquor II is a classic, Lupe is Officially a 2000's GOAT: Agree or Disagree?

Options

Comments

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hold up wait wait lupe ain't trying to talk hood dudes who says ? bad in conversations what type of black comie pseudo Muslim doesn't want a black neighborhood fanbase.....PS just checked shad he good ...outside of the internet lupes not mentioned
  • ratchet bity
    ratchet bity Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    Options
    lupe is good and I like food and liquor.....but in IMO he tires to hard to be a smart, concious rapper...instead of just letting whatever happens happen

CS...when I say he's a lil pretentious this is what I mean...you don't hear anyone say Common, Mos or Talib try too hard to be sound smart...But you do hear that about Nas sometimes...

Reason I say Lupe is pretentious can be summed up in a line from Bad ? ..

"Now let's say that they less concerned with him
    And more with the video girl acquiescent to his whims"

Acquiescent?..was it necessary to use this word?...One of George Orwell's rules of writin' was not to use big, uncommon words when a regular word would do...(Another one of his rules was to ignore all his rules if they made your work sounds silly...so...whatever)

Just a small example...When you do things like that is comes off as though you're tryin' to sound smart...

What if that's apart of his normal lexicon? Oops, I said lexicon, so clearly I'm trying to sound smart. If dude has an expansive vocabulary and wishes to utilize it in the hope that *gasp* listeners may learn, then why knock him for it? Just because people use "big words" it doesn't mean they are trying to sound intelligent, that just might be the way they talk. We are so quick to demonize intelligence but love to embrace stupidity and ignorance.

Clearly didn't read/comprehend my post...and yes, sayin' 'lexicon' instead of 'vocabulary' is clearly an attempt at intellectualism...Never in my post did I say you should embrace stupidity and ignorance...I said usin' an unusual word, like 'lexicon', when it isn't necessary can come off as pretentious...

using pretentious comes off as pretentious

I kno' you're jokin'...But I'm gonna explain why it doesn't to illustrate my point...

Is there a common synonym for 'pretentious' that I could use in its stead that would have equal meanin'?

you used pretentious then went on to explain pretentious therefore using pretentious was superfluous and pretentious .
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Before we discount Lupe being able to be the best of this generation right now, we gotta see how he stacks up to his competition.

And to do that we gotta know: what's his competition really?

• idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Before we discount Lupe being able to be the best of this generation right now, we gotta see how he stacks up to his competition.

And to do that we gotta know: what's his competition really?

His only real competition imo is Kanye.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The hell?? 2/3 makes you GOAT now?

The standards are so low these days
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lupe stans say the dardest things

http://www.unkut.com/2012/08/youtube-commenters-type-the-darndest-things-lupe-fiasco-? -bad/
    Twenty reasons why YouTube Commenters are the pinnacle of human evolution:

1. ‘Hiphop saved Lupe’s life. Now Lupe is saving hiphop’s life.’

^ *blank stare*

2. ‘Lupe is like A Tribe Called Quest from 2012 ! He is real.’

^ Which also means that Lupe hasn’t listened to any of his own albums all the way through and prefers Hammer to himself.

3. ‘This needs like 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,­000,000,etc views’

^ Good thing you added the Etc. That ’0′ key was getting quite the work-out.

4. ‘Lupe Fiasco is not just a rap genius. Thousand miles more. He fight for his dreams and no one could stop him. And just wonder if any of the rappers are read more books then LupeFiasco and educate himself more. Not because it’s fancy or something. Just because he wants more about life then others and try to do something more with his power what he got FOR THE WORLD! Proud of him!’

^ Reading books is the new fancy.

5. ‘the true is that 50 to 100 years from now lupe will be reguarded as one of the best artist of this time’

^ The Bob Dylan of Rap?

6. ‘lupe always rapes with a meaning and stuff that actually happens in this world’

^ Typo or Freudian slip?

7. ‘LUPE IS THE GREATEST!!! HE’S THE BEST EVEN IN HIS OWN LANE! FAVORITE IN ALL OTHER LANES!’

^ That’s a lot of effin’ lanes!

8. ‘i’d love to go to a place where women are so. because here in europe they are freaking bossy career addicts’

^ What, no Russian Brides?

9. ‘Lupe={rapper,teacher,preacher,thinker,activist,revolutionary­,human..}’

^ See also: Jesus, ? , saint, superhuman, Olympian, Alien.

10. ‘Lupe should get the Nobel Prize for Literature later on.’

^ So ‘later on’ that I’m not alive to witness it.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Lmao at "outside the internet, lupe isnt mentioned"

I love when ppl say such and such "isnt mentioned outside the internet"
    Shows the boxed mentality some folks have.
    Some of you ? swear you speak for the rest of the world.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo I didn't say that a rapper shouldn't be smart...I didn't say rappers should be restricted in their vocabulary...I just said that Lupe can sometime come off as pretentious...I really don't understand the outrage
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Lotta people are missin' my point...I think some are doin' it on purpose...

I understand he has to keep the flow of the line...and he has to keep his syllables in order

It was no big criticism...lotta folk are blowin' it out of proportion...Like I said in my first post, Lupe is (rather undoubtedly) the GOAT of the 2000s...Doesn't mean he's above reproach or criticism...I really don't see the big deal

He's not above criticism but your criticism is just weak. Of all the criticisms I've heard of hip-hop, I've never heard of a ? being "too smart" or as most people say these days he's "trying" to be "too smart" (or "pretentious" as you put it).

The criticism implies, by using the word you used, that he's not smart but just pretending to be. Which is a personal attack and not based on his actual mic skills. I'm not sure that's what you were trying to do however.

In any event Lupe has a specific audience. Its a more middle class, arguably better educated audience so he can use that language. Writing to your audience is an extremely general rule of writing as well as public speaking. Hood ? who have never left their block or city aren't interested in what Lupe is talking about anyway. So I don't see any reason to criticize him from that perspective.

I never said that...

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    foh... this dude is garbage...
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo I didn't say that a rapper shouldn't be smart...I didn't say rappers should be restricted in their vocabulary...I just said that Lupe can sometime come off as pretentious...I really don't understand the outrage

Okay I might have misrepresented your opinion. My bad.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He already is one of the GOATS.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This Lupe/Pharrell album will cement his GOATness though...guaranteed to be better than WTT

I could see that if Hugo is working with them.

While on the subject: is he?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? if that Neptunes Fiasco album comes out..................instant classic son
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some rappers are here to educate, enlighten, or make you aware of socio-political/religous issues.

Alot of these rap fans are pretentous enough to think that everything is meant to shuck and jive for their entertainment.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I get that the homie raps with a purpose. I applaud and support rappers who do but this guy just doesn't cut the mustard. He's a cornball. His delivery,cadence and presence is non-existent. Rappers comparable to him like Common, Pharaoh, Nas,Chuck D, Yasin run circles around this cat. These MC's not only have lyrics but they have cadence, delivery and presence on the MIC.

I'd rather read his lyrics then listen to his average attempts at putting them music.
  • TayJone
    TayJone Members Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    Options
    End of the day everyones opinion on this topic can't be proven. Everybody's criteria for being GOAT or the best or whatever will never be the same

I think he is in the discussion though.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye has him beat easily imo..

Of course Lupe is the better rapper of the two but Ye's catalog and impact puts him above Lupe..even if F&L2 is a great album or "classic"
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mumo_X wrote: »
    Life is Good >>>>>>> Food & Liquor

No ?
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This stupid African dont know ? about ?
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL. What's the point of this?
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He just doing his usuall stanning bruh
  • DetroitBoi313
    DetroitBoi313 Members Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    GOAT of the 2000s? ? out of here. Lupe musically has been trash after the Cool album.
  • DMTxTHC
    edited August 2012
    Options
    CJ wrote: »

He just doing his usuall stanning bruh

LIG wasn't released in the 2000s, and Nas is a rapper from the 90s. ? was random.
  • DMTxTHC
    edited August 2012
    Options
    F&L is one of my two favorite albums from 2006. Hell Hath No Fury is the other one.