If Food & Liquor II is a classic, Lupe is Officially a 2000's GOAT: Agree or Disagree?

Options

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many of you lupe stans knew exactly what the word meant and didn't have to use that dictionary app on your phone?
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    How many of you lupe stans knew exactly what the word meant and didn't have to use that dictionary app on your phone?

Even if somebody didn't know what the word meant, and they had to look it up, good for them; they learned a new word. What's wrong with that? ? always complaining about hip hop not expanding your mind and then when it does, ? complain. I could see where ya'll coming from if Lupe was out here using words in the wrong context or mispronouncing ? and obviously didn't know what he was talking about
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lupe is good and I like food and liquor.....but in IMO he tires to hard to be a smart, concious rapper...instead of just letting whatever happens happen

CS...when I say he's a lil pretentious this is what I mean...you don't hear anyone say Common, Mos or Talib try too hard to be sound smart...But you do hear that about Nas sometimes...

Reason I say Lupe is pretentious can be summed up in a line from Bad ? ..

"Now let's say that they less concerned with him
    And more with the video girl acquiescent to his whims"

Acquiescent?..was it necessary to use this word?...One of George Orwell's rules of writin' was not to use big, uncommon words when a regular word would do...(Another one of his rules was to ignore all his rules if they made your work sounds silly...so...whatever)

Just a small example...When you do things like that is comes off as though you're tryin' to sound smart...

What if that's apart of his normal lexicon? Oops, I said lexicon, so clearly I'm trying to sound smart. If dude has an expansive vocabulary and wishes to utilize it in the hope that *gasp* listeners may learn, then why knock him for it? Just because people use "big words" it doesn't mean they are trying to sound intelligent, that just might be the way they talk. We are so quick to demonize intelligence but love to embrace stupidity and ignorance.

Clearly didn't read/comprehend my post...and yes, sayin' 'lexicon' instead of 'vocabulary' is clearly an attempt at intellectualism...Never in my post did I say you should embrace stupidity and ignorance...I said usin' an unusual word, like 'lexicon', when it isn't necessary can come off as pretentious...

It can come off as pretentious. But let's be honest, when writing using the same word over and over can be tiresome. Synonyms help cure that monotony when a certain word consistently is being used.

Rap is also about rhyme. When your message needs to coincide with rhyme schemes dictated by the first bar of the verse knowing synonyms helps a ton.

If you wanna rhyme 2 syllables vocab does not mean anything. But if you're trying to rhyme 4-5 then it is crucial.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Sprinkling diction here and there does not expand the mind. FOH
  • Bodhi
    Options
    increasing your vocabulary does.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Lol @ listening to rap is increasing your vocabulary. No one is going to use acquiescent in the future.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lupe is good and I like food and liquor.....but in IMO he tires to hard to be a smart, concious rapper...instead of just letting whatever happens happen

CS...when I say he's a lil pretentious this is what I mean...you don't hear anyone say Common, Mos or Talib try too hard to be sound smart...But you do hear that about Nas sometimes...

Reason I say Lupe is pretentious can be summed up in a line from Bad ? ..

"Now let's say that they less concerned with him
    And more with the video girl acquiescent to his whims"

Acquiescent?..was it necessary to use this word?...One of George Orwell's rules of writin' was not to use big, uncommon words when a regular word would do...(Another one of his rules was to ignore all his rules if they made your work sounds silly...so...whatever)

Just a small example...When you do things like that is comes off as though you're tryin' to sound smart...

What if that's apart of his normal lexicon? Oops, I said lexicon, so clearly I'm trying to sound smart. If dude has an expansive vocabulary and wishes to utilize it in the hope that *gasp* listeners may learn, then why knock him for it? Just because people use "big words" it doesn't mean they are trying to sound intelligent, that just might be the way they talk. We are so quick to demonize intelligence but love to embrace stupidity and ignorance.

Clearly didn't read/comprehend my post...and yes, sayin' 'lexicon' instead of 'vocabulary' is clearly an attempt at intellectualism...Never in my post did I say you should embrace stupidity and ignorance...I said usin' an unusual word, like 'lexicon', when it isn't necessary can come off as pretentious...

using pretentious comes off as pretentious

I kno' you're jokin'...But I'm gonna explain why it doesn't to illustrate my point...

Is there a common synonym for 'pretentious' that I could use in its stead that would have equal meanin'?
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Lol @ listening to rap is increasing your vocabulary. No one is going to use acquiescent in the future.

Only if you allow it to. It's like reading - if you encounter a new word and do not make the effort to understand what the word means to capture the message the writer is trying to get across then you will not increase your vocab. But if you do the aforementioned then you will benefit.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    So lupe increased your vocabulary?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Lotta people are missin' my point...I think some are doin' it on purpose...

I understand he has to keep the flow of the line...and he has to keep his syllables in order

It was no big criticism...lotta folk are blowin' it out of proportion...Like I said in my first post, Lupe is (rather undoubtedly) the GOAT of the 2000s...Doesn't mean he's above reproach or criticism...I really don't see the big deal
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Really, is there no one that at least understands where I'm comin' from?
  • LUClEN
    Options
    So lupe increased your vocabulary?

Lupe, Shad & Canibus - yep.
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just heard ? Bad.......SONG OF THE YEAR!!!! Anyways lets not break GOAT into categories. The last to two words in GOAT is ALL TIME. That doesn't mean of that decade it means ALL TIME. Lupe DOPE rapper but not there yet but if he keep the direction he is goin with right now??? He's well on his way.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    I'm going to ask my pastor to pray for you rodriguezz.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    No one is going to use acquiescent in the future.

you don't know that for sure
  • LUClEN
    Options
    West Brooklyn pointing out the gambler's fallacy
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Who's Shad?

Underground rapper
    not a lot of people on here like him

I consider him #1 from this generation though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jhn3X8gGEA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAMH5S6VA
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lame ? ...That enunciates well, and has a large lexicon....
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not every rapper is here to entertain you.

then what the ? is he here to do
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Shad is the ? . I can't see the videos but listen to Brother and Rose Garden
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard lupe's name outside the internet. Except when kick, push came out
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats unfortunate...
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lotta people are missin' my point...I think some are doin' it on purpose...

I understand he has to keep the flow of the line...and he has to keep his syllables in order

It was no big criticism...lotta folk are blowin' it out of proportion...Like I said in my first post, Lupe is (rather undoubtedly) the GOAT of the 2000s...Doesn't mean he's above reproach or criticism...I really don't see the big deal

He's not above criticism but your criticism is just weak. Of all the criticisms I've heard of hip-hop, I've never heard of a ? being "too smart" or as most people say these days he's "trying" to be "too smart" (or "pretentious" as you put it).

The criticism implies, by using the word you used, that he's not smart but just pretending to be. Which is a personal attack and not based on his actual mic skills. I'm not sure that's what you were trying to do however.

In any event Lupe has a specific audience. Its a more middle class, arguably better educated audience so he can use that language. Writing to your audience is an extremely general rule of writing as well as public speaking. Hood ? who have never left their block or city aren't interested in what Lupe is talking about anyway. So I don't see any reason to criticize him from that perspective.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard lupe's name outside the internet. Except when kick, push came out

You missing out