It's crazy how Jay's the only NY rapper that never fell off

Options

Comments

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While this might be a troll thread the t/s is missing a huge point. Most rappers from any region have fell off if your looking at just sales (which the t/s is doing). From the south guys like andre 3000 and big boi can't go gold even when they sitll make the same quality music they make. Look at the midwest nelly aint still going gold. Can you name 1 90's west coast legend that even dropped an album in the past 2 years that went gold?

You can say all this stuff about new york this and new york that but every other regions legends are mia or not apprecaited even tho they continue to make dope music.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Jay fan but if you just look at the last three solo albums he dropped, one was great (AG) and two of them was wack (KC, BP3) so he definitely has had his ups and downs
  • TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know if anyone said this, but the short answer is... He keeps himself relevant by attatching himself to what's poppin at the time. His music has taken a step backward(but he's still nice), but if you want to know the secret to jay-z's success, just look around him.
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its funny how ? is talking bout bp3 is wack but i remember when it came out ? was on here saying how it was a decent album...boy i tell you
  • FrankOceanIsGay
    FrankOceanIsGay Members Posts: 402
    Options
    If you're from nyc u remember the running joke between hot 97 & wbls introducing the new lauryn hill single "if i ruled the world".. Nas was a running industry joke..
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mohamed wrote: »
    its funny how ? is talking bout bp3 is wack but i remember when it came out ? was on here saying how it was a decent album...boy i tell you

I dont give a f but people was sayin in here I been sayin its wack from day one son
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kingdom come is better than bp3 which makes it his worst album but d.o.a is my ? .
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come was not wack.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

you should be banned for that statement...
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

you should be banned for that statement...

Damn y'all really got homie banned!!!

& as long as the jigga warriors ride for him he'll never fall off!!!
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas makes a grown man album called LIG is a damn near classic.

Jay made a grown man album called Kingdom Come it's damn near wack.

Lmao@ these ic folks
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mohamed wrote: »
    its funny how ? is talking bout bp3 is wack but i remember when it came out Jayhova Witnesses was on here saying how it was a decent album...boy i tell you

Fixed for accuracy.

...and you're a liar.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come- 2006: Wack 4/10; 2.5/5
    American Gangster- 2007: Great 8.5/10; 4.25/5
    Blueprint 3- 2009: Enh 6/10; 3/5
    Watch the Throne- 2011: Very Good 8/10; 4/5

some dope features i can remember

Black Republicans- 2006
    The Joy- 2010
    Maybach Music- 2008
    So Appalled- 2010
    I Do- 2012
    Light Up- 2010
    Mr. Carter- 2008
    Free Mason- 2010
    Watch What You Say To Me- 2007
    I Wanna Rock-2010
    Upgrade U- 2006
    Power (Remix)-2010
    Hot Toddy- 2010
    Clique-2012
    Put On (Remix)- 2009
    Monster-2010

idk. i cant see it. i think Jay's just lost a lot of aggression and he's way more visible now. throws off perception. being that he was never super aggressive esp compared to X or 50 & others who were popular during the time period he debuted/blew up. I think he says a lot more & uses less words but at the same time he's lost a little off the fastball & lost a lil intensity.

i dont want "Reasonable Doubt" Jay but i'd be very excited to hear Come & Get Me, People Talkin, Watcher II Jay-Z
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay's story is great but awful for hiphop. Who will be able to even come close to doing what he has? I mean rappers drop albums all the time but they'll never be considered as great as Jay. People talk about old rappers but Jay at 45 years old can still sell out arenas today! Hiphop fans are confused! That's why I listen for good music and don't judge based on business moves
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think American gangster is one of his better albums
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Jay's story is great but awful for hiphop. Who will be able to even come close to doing what he has? I mean rappers drop albums all the time but they'll never be considered as great as Jay. People talk about old rappers but Jay at 45 years old can still sell out arenas today! Hiphop fans are confused! That's why I listen for good music and don't judge based on business moves

That's gonna be difficult cuz Jay was blessed by living in the commercial golden age of hip hop and making the best moves possible. Ironically he was in the same class as G Rap, Kane and Rakim, but got held back to the Pac/Big/Nas class, and didn't really get successful til the DMX/Em/Nelly class. Anyways, the industry is in such shambles, that an artist can come out and clearly rap better and make better music than Jay, but will never see his success. We're gonna have to wait another 20 years for that.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qtipp73 wrote: »
    ? mad cuz good NY rappers still care about lyrics over club ? music. yall can have all that lean wit it type garbage. I will take lyrics and NY sounding production over that ? anytime.

You mean the old ones. lol

The likes of Nas, Ghost and Rae can still make music cause they dropped classics. Them other underachieving ones, nah. They got old and their music is the same ? . When you refuse to evolve, people just stop listening to you.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kingdom come was dope simply based on how he clapped Cam n Jimmy

BP3 was dope too. I don't see how ? gonna hate on Jay for showing musical growth. "We was supposed to takeover, I caught her bumping ether" IC ? hate them sum Jay z boy I tell ya
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ The Blueprint III "showing musical growth" ..
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    kingdom come was dope simply based on how he clapped Cam n Jimmy

BP3 was dope too. I don't see how ? gonna hate on Jay for showing musical growth. "We was supposed to takeover, I caught her bumping ether" IC ? hate them sum Jay z boy I tell ya

i guess rapping about wanna be forever young with some ugly peckerwood singing chorus is called musical growth.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usmarine, wake me up when Jay drops and album tighter than life is good going forward

Lol @ the TS for this thread. Really? How could he have not falling off if a westcoast rapper more known for name dropping has a more consistant catalog than Jay since 05?

* waits for Tromp to come give this thread a complete earthquake post *
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    Usmarine, wake me up when Jay drops and album tighter than life is good going forward

Lol @ the TS for this thread. Really? How could he have not falling off if a westcoast rapper more known for name dropping has a more consistant catalog than Jay since 05?

* waits for Tromp to come give this thread a complete earthquake post *

Wake me up when Life is Wood stops playing. You delusional and small time Nas fans seem to think Nas career or existence is relevant to where Jay is now. Nas is damn near a niche dapper now, jay out here opening doors for hiphop.

Nas can make a album like LIG because his fanbase ain't diverse,they're backpacker fans. Jay fanbase is way more diverse, from backpackers, club heads, radio heads, etc. He just doesn't make taps for ? who are stuck in 94
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL I'm watching "VH1 Soul" and Hawaiian Sophie with Jaz and Jay Z is on right now