The Official Blackberry 10 Thread

Options

Comments

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    70,000 apps including Skype, Kindle, Angry Birds, facebook, twitter, oovoo, Electronics Arts, Tunein radio, cisco webex, and others. All in the shop called Blackberry world.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the first reviews

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-z10-review/

Kinda meh...

Will have to see some others.

• Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not available until Mid March in the US. WTF?!????!? Not happy.
  • black caesar
    edited January 2013
    Options

Makes sense though, their market is bigger overseas. I was very impressed with the phone, and I'm not just saying that because I have stock in it. Now I have to decide if I want a BB10 or a Galaxy IV.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If this came out early last year, it probably would have been a big deal. Now it seems to be totally outclassed by Android, iPhone, and even the Windows phones.
  • Michael_Malice
    Options

Makes since though, their market is bigger overseas. I was very impressed with the phone, and I'm not just saying that because I have stock in it. Now I have to decide if I want a BB10 or a Galaxy IV.

I just have to wait but I wanted it now. Maybe I can get one from overseas unlocked and use with AT&T. Will that work? Price is no factor.
  • qtipp73
    qtipp73 Members Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sounds like a shiny ? to me
  • qtipp73
    Options

Makes since though, their market is bigger overseas. I was very impressed with the phone, and I'm not just saying that because I have stock in it. Now I have to decide if I want a BB10 or a Galaxy IV.

I just have to wait but I wanted it now. Maybe I can get one from overseas unlocked and use with AT&T. Will that work? Price is no factor.

u really gonna spend ur tax returns on a bb10 my ? ? put that money in ur savings account
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    qtipp73 wrote: »

u really gonna spend ur tax returns on a bb10 my ? ? put that money in ur savings account

Tax returns? Nah I will buy that ? outright today of I can. My tax returns ain't even back yet. Lol
  • rage
    Options
    qtipp73 wrote: »

Tax returns? Nah I will buy that ? outright today of I can. My tax returns ain't even back yet. Lol

$600 for the unlocked version.
  • black caesar
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Wtf?? Why is their stock dropping? ? is at 15.29 right now

Because RIM CEO just stated that RIM is now Blackberry. It can still rise up.

A stock isn't going to drop because the name changed.-/b] It's these wall street ? manipulating ? with the long/short game.

Wrong champ. When a Merger occurs, companies that are merging lose money. Here's a report from marketwatch:

The sector also got an early lift from RIM (RIMM) , U.S.-listed shares of which rallied ahead of the much-anticipated rollout of BlackBerry 10 at a launch event in New York.

But RIM shares reversed course late morning, falling 4% to $15.02 as the company also announced that it was changing its name to BlackBerry.
  • rage
    edited January 2013
    Options

A stock isn't going to drop because the name changed.-/b] It's these wall street ? manipulating ? with the long/short game.

Wrong champ. When a Merger occurs, companies that are merging lose money. Here's a report from marketwatch:

The sector also got an early lift from RIM (RIMM) , U.S.-listed shares of which rallied ahead of the much-anticipated rollout of BlackBerry 10 at a launch event in New York.

But RIM shares reversed course late morning, falling 4% to $15.02 as the company also announced that it was changing its name to BlackBerry.

Ok...so...uh....which company did RIMM merge with again? Of course this is assuming you know what merger means.
  • black caesar
    edited January 2013
    Options

Ok...so...uh....which company did RIMM merge with again? Of course this is assuming you know what merger means.

They didn't merge in this case, but the CEO himself said that they had stock in Blackberry. In fact on Monday, the RIM ticker will become BBRY
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Got damn. A 3 yr contract!? ? . They really must have faith in the phone lasting that long
  • rage
    Options

They didn't merge in this case, but the CEO himself said that they had stock in Blackberry. In fact on Monday, the RIM ticker will become BBRY

So then if it wasn't a merger, then why bring it up? And how the ? can RIMM have stock in Blackberry? Blackberry is a product not a company.
  • black caesar
    Options

So then if it wasn't a merger, then why bring it up? And how the ? can RIMM have stock in Blackberry? Blackberry is a product not a company.

You stated that stock doesn't drop when names change which is false. I had stated when most mergers occur (which wasn't one in here) stocks can lose value in addition to name changes. The CEO himself had stated that they had stock in Blackberry. (Watch the stream again) It can only be assumed that he meant that the company created some new shares to reflect the company name, which would explain the new ticker.

There's your explanation. At the end of the day, it's a new product. Either you're going to cop it or you won't. Simple as that. Either cop it or stick to what you have.
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    RIM is now called Blackberry. That's it. No merger or no stocks bought or anything like that. Just a new name.

And WTF at only Verizon having the White Z10? I'm beyond ? .
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Got damn. A 3 yr contract!? ? . They really must have faith in the phone lasting that long

That's only in Canada. In the US it will be a 2 year contract whenever the carriers get off their ass and launch it.
  • qtipp73
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »

That's only in Canada. In the US it will be a 2 year contract whenever the carriers get off their ass and launch it.

they are waiting of the gov't to put the finishing touches on the spy tracking portion of the OS. why the ? else would it take carriers that long to "test it out" ?
  • rage
    Options

You stated that stock doesn't drop when names change which is false. I had stated when most mergers occur (which wasn't one in here) stocks can lose value in addition to name changes. The CEO himself had stated that they had stock in Blackberry. (Watch the stream again) It can only be assumed that he meant that the company created some new shares to reflect the company name, which would explain the new ticker.

There's your explanation. At the end of the day, it's a new product. Either you're going to cop it or you won't. Simple as that. Either cop it or stick to what you have.

Homie, here is the deal. Changing a company's name is nothing like a merger. Stocks don't go down because of a name change. I mean what's the logic in that? Do the profit/losses change because of a name change? And the CEO said they have stock OF Blackberrys that means they have product, in STOCK.

The reason the stock dropped is because Wall Street ? are playing with YOUR money, with all the speculating and "forecasts". They jacked up the price of the stock based on hype, now when the actual product is released actual reality is setting in. So they are selling off....watch the stock go up again when sales forecasts are announced and they will drop again when the actuall figures are released.
  • rage
    Options
    The March release is a pretty big misstep. They need to get product into customers hands ASAP!
  • rage
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »

I think cats were selling off on anticipation it may not take off like that. Looks like after the name announcement it went back up.
    @icecoldstew @Sion @valdez21 I know you're watching the keynote fam

The CEO said that RIM is now Blackberry.

This shocked me LOLOL, it's about time tho. It's a good move.

Nah it's at 14.70...down 6% from opening....

These wall street dudes are ruthless lol
  • rage
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »

I'm sure you can prolly get it out here & unlock out there. It's better for them to take over their home turf & other overseas markets before jumping back into the U.S., the phone is incredible. I think the anticipation and the idea that "everybody has it" is probably the type of strategy they going for. The U.S. is a huge market, and overnight can make a significant profit for them if they play this right. Gotta keep in mind a lot of people bought iPhones & Samsung phones last December, it wouldn't be wise to just throw something at them to get them to switch right away cuz most of those consumers will want to wait to see before they jump the gun. It's a good move. Had they dropped immediately in the States, the sales numbers might have come up short and people might use that as ammo SMH. Just be patient LOLOL, you'll get one.

For $149 on a 2 year contract I'd say that's a pretty dayum good deal.

Homie, here is the deal. Changing a company's name is nothing like a merger. Stocks don't go down because of a name change. I mean what's the logic in that? Do the profit/losses change because of a name change? And the CEO said they have stock OF Blackberrys that means they have product, in STOCK.

The reason the stock dropped is because Wall Street ? are playing with YOUR money, with all the speculating and "forecasts". They jacked up the price of the stock based on hype, now when the actual product is released actual reality is setting in. So they are selling off....watch the stock go up again when sales forecasts are announced and they will drop again when the actuall figures are released.
    The March release is a pretty big misstep. They need to get product into customers hands ASAP!

@rage stop trying to bust ? fam n/h

btw how's Apple doing bruh ? How much is that down by again ?? So the question then becomes were you a sheep following the forecasts & the outrageously expectations they had for Apple ? Or were you smart enough to get off the horse and find better opportunities elsewhere ? When it's all said and done, it's not always about how much you make - but how much you DON'T lose.

Long term RIM will be fine, had you dumped Apple and copped RIM when I told you to you'd have tripled your money and at least lock in a portion of the profit from Apple before it fell 40%.

Your making my point for me. Stocks be it RIMM or Apple are all controlled by Wall Street ? who play a long and short game. Apple has NEVER ever not made a profit in a quarter, for that matter Apple has set records for profit year after year. RIMM's stock rose because analysts were hyping it up so they could raise the stock prices (the converse effect for Apple by lowering its stock price)...now that RIMM has actually shown its hand they are dropping it. Why? has RIMMs profits or losses increased or decreased in the 24 hours leading up to the conference? No, so then why is the stock dropping?? Is there a reasonable answer as to why the stock dropped so much in a few hours???

These dudes do it ALL the time...raise a stock (or lower it) based on speculation "buy buy buy"...and then when it hits its "peak" sell sell sell.

Short-term market participants have been using the tech titan's shares in what are known as pair trades - betting that one stock will go higher while hedging that bet by short-selling a stock expected to go lower.

"Apple is being used as a proxy in a lot of other things," said J.J. Kinahan, chief derivatives strategist at TD Ameritrade. "At least every other week you're either a buyer or seller of it, a lot of it depending on what the rest your stock (portfolio) is.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100412801
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    @Sion. I feel you. I just want this phone so damn bad. I'm sure I will get over it in the morning. I'm really mad about the white one though. I can't leave AT&T.
  • rage
    Options
    @Sion. I feel you. I just want this phone so damn bad. I'm sure I will get over it in the morning. I'm really mad about the white one though. I can't leave AT&T.

See what I mean...you have a willing customer here, ready to pay money for your product and he has to wait? Berry doesnt have the luxury to do this. What if HTC or Samsung or LG put out some banging ass phone in the next week Berry might lose a customer. And they just can't afford that luxury.

The one thing in BB10's favour is that WP8 is HORRENDOUS....I had high hopes for that OS but its brutal. Typical MS half-steppin, and in comparison BB10 is FAR FAR superior. 3rd spot is right there for the taking.