The Official Blackberry 10 Thread

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    I've been reading the reviews such as Engadget and meh. I don't care. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there like me that are tired of the stale iOS and absolutely hate Android. This is something fresh and new that looks like it will fill my needs. RIM BlackBerry will be just fine I think. They will take what they have in BB10 and continue to improve on it.

On another note. I don't know who the ? dropped the ball on this US release but I think it is a big mistake. All 4 US carriers didn't just say lets just wait until March to drop this. Something else is going on. Are they still testing this thing? I don't know but it ? me off. I want this in my hands when the rest of the World has it. Will the buzz be died off in the US by March and consumers don't care anymore? Who knows. And ? Verizon for this White Z10 ? .

Just curious, what is it you hate about Android so much?

The UI, unstable, buggy, and fragmentation mainly. Not a fan of the "openness".

You know how much I hammer on Android, but in all honesty JellyBean is really really close to iOS, it's nowhere near as buggy and unstable as ICS. As for all that fragmentation ? , stick with the Nexus line. The nexus4 is a great phone for the price $349.

The Z10 isn't touching the Nexus4 hardware or for that matter software wise.

What the hell? Am I reading this right? Are you giving Android props? Did someone hack your account? By the way, what do you have against Windows phones and Windows 8. I don't particularly care for the OS, but I don't think it's terrible. I've hear reasonably good things about it though.

Rage is right though. JellyBean is very stable. It's very rare that anything crashes, and usually when it does it's because it's cause I'm trying to run a dozen programs at the same time going back and forth. I don't see the fragmentation as a problem though. Get a good phone, and it doesn't really matter how many other Android phones are on the market. As for the UI, it's Android. If you don't like the UI, you can download another one. There is literally something for everyone out there.

We give JB it's props, but that's where it stops...

I just find WP8 design aesthetic to be atrocious. In portrait mode words are cut off, the way apps look and are designed look armatureish, in app sub menus are vague, there is no notification center, active tiles are great....until you have more than one notification...then it just tells you you have two notifications. The browser isn't as feature rich as Safari or Chrome...it's just a very shoddy OS. App selection is ? poor, keyboard is one of the worst I've used and aside from the Lumia and I think the HTC the phone selection is meh. Which is why I thought BB10 could get that 3rd playoff spot.

Your assessment seems pretty spot on. I don't think WP8 is bad, but it's got some pretty big holes they need to fill.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been reading the reviews such as Engadget and meh. I don't care. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there like me that are tired of the stale iOS and absolutely hate Android. This is something fresh and new that looks like it will fill my needs. RIM BlackBerry will be just fine I think. They will take what they have in BB10 and continue to improve on it.

On another note. I don't know who the ? dropped the ball on this US release but I think it is a big mistake. All 4 US carriers didn't just say lets just wait until March to drop this. Something else is going on. Are they still testing this thing? I don't know but it ? me off. I want this in my hands when the rest of the World has it. Will the buzz be died off in the US by March and consumers don't care anymore? Who knows. And ? Verizon for this White Z10 ? .

You know how much I hammer on Android, but in all honesty JellyBean is really really close to iOS, it's nowhere near as buggy and unstable as ICS. As for all that fragmentation ? , stick with the Nexus line. The nexus4 is a great phone for the price $349.

What the hell? Am I reading this right? Are you giving Android props? Did someone hack your account? By the way, what do you have against Windows phones and Windows 8. I don't particularly care for the OS, but I don't think it's terrible. I've hear reasonably good things about it though.

Rage is right though. JellyBean is very stable. It's very rare that anything crashes, and usually when it does it's because it's cause I'm trying to run a dozen programs at the same time going back and forth. I don't see the fragmentation as a problem though. Get a good phone, and it doesn't really matter how many other Android phones are on the market. As for the UI, it's Android. If you don't like the UI, you can download another one. There is literally something for everyone out there.

I just find WP8 design aesthetic to be atrocious. In portrait mode words are cut off, the way apps look and are designed look armatureish, in app sub menus are vague, there is no notification center, active tiles are great....until you have more than one notification...then it just tells you you have two notifications. The browser isn't as feature rich as Safari or Chrome...it's just a very shoddy OS. App selection is ? poor, keyboard is one of the worst I've used and aside from the Lumia and I think the HTC the phone selection is meh. Which is why I thought BB10 could get that 3rd playoff spot.

Your assessment seems pretty spot on. I don't think WP8 is bad, but it's got some pretty big holes they need to fill.

See this brings me to the point I am making with BB10. When a consumer has the choice between two polished and well established OSs and Phones why would they pick something thats "ok" or "not THAT bad". Just for something "different"? I mean your gonna spend $150 - $200 and get tied into it for 2-3 years on whats pretty much a gamble??

I always felt that RIM should have given up the consumer and mobile market. Focus on strictly on the Enterprise market and use all their R&D budget on innovating a new product for that specific market. Look at companies like Cisco and IBM, they have both completely divested themselves of any consumer line (Linksys and Lenovo) and are strictly infrastructure and enterprise focused.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options

But isnt bb10 already at #3? And as a wp8 user i have to somewhat agree with this. i own a lumia 920. and while the hardware specs are notches above many other phones ive used in the past (superior camera, extended battery life, wireless charging, slick and inpenetrable design, can withstand tons of punishment) the software leaves a little to be desired. and honestly the only people holding wp8 back are wp8(microsoft) themselves. the lack of support from the microsoft platform is mind boggling. they are sitting on a gold mine and refuse to do anything with it. While they are investing so much into windows 8 to only be met with poor sales figures and a diminishing profit, lumia sold 4.4 million handsets in the 4th qtr of last year and is growing in markets like europe. i mean its been weeks since any xbox live titles were released, apps like pandora and instagram were promised to be here around christmas but nothing, and basic ? like a usable pdf reader still isnt available. it even seems like microsoft puts other platforms before its own. case in point. they are to release a full skype app for blackberry while the version in the windows store is still in beta. and the funny part about that is microsoft owns skype. ? is disgusting.

Speaking of blackberry, after reading on it i was thinking of possbily switching to the z10. because even tho the lumia 920 itself was an amazing phone, microsoft's apathy towards wp8 was pushing me away from it. but after reading some reviews and that half-baked presentation they gave, i realized had i done that i would be driving myself further into a mobile abyss.

before the lumia i owned an htc evo and an iphone. so i knew what a robust ecosystem with many app titles looked like. i also knew that when i switched to a windows phone i would be biting the bullet and sacrificing a loss of many apps that i was using before. which wasnt as bad as i thought because certain titles i was still able to find. but it still wasnt like before. with that being said blackberrys' app selection is even worse. true windows phone doesnt have as many apps as either apple or android. nowhere close to it. but they still have over 160,000 (and if developer support was there it would be even more) and certified 75,000 t at the end of 2012 with 300,000 updates. blackberry only has 70,000 many of which are either poorly conceived native ones or ports from android gingerbread 2.3. 2.3 for christ sake. i already made conscious decision to sacrifice not having apps one time. ill be damned if i sacrifice not having anymore. also the maps are about as bad as whats on apple. no street view or satellite view. no transit directions. one thing about the lumia 920 is nokia powered it with top notch apps. nokia maps being one of those. also the battery life sucks. which was one of my main gripes with the evo i had. but blackberry's life doesnt even last a full day some sources said. dont even get me started on the camera. i really see why they skipped that aspect during the presentation entirely. and to compare it to the pureview camera i have now is just asinine. many of the folks over at wpcentral.com were also consciously thinking about making a move to blackberry. but after they read on it they(as well as i) might just stick with what we have in hopes this lights a fire under microsoft's ass for them to get their ? together and start supporting its own phone os. i was fearing that blackberry would take some customers from wp8 but as a wp8 user myself who is now reconsidering and saying pass, im not even sure they can do that. i might have to test it exclusively first
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Either way I haven't changed my mind about copping a BlackBerry 10. I have read reviews with people that actually have it and it doesn't sound as bad as the reviews on some sites. They have something to build on. This is Gen 1. I expect it to get better. Can't be worse than what I have now as far as I am concerned. I want to throw this iPhone 4S everyday. Tired of my phone dying at lunch time. At least with the Z10 I will have another battery and that charger bundle is nice. It's still ? March tho.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »

But isnt bb10 already at #3? And as a wp8 user i have to somewhat agree with this. i own a lumia 920. and while the hardware specs are notches above many other phones ive used in the past (superior camera, extended battery life, wireless charging, slick and inpenetrable design, can withstand tons of punishment) the software leaves a little to be desired. and honestly the only people holding wp8 back are wp8(microsoft) themselves. the lack of support from the microsoft platform is mind boggling. they are sitting on a gold mine and refuse to do anything with it. While they are investing so much into windows 8 to only be met with poor sales figures and a diminishing profit, lumia sold 4.4 million handsets in the 4th qtr of last year and is growing in markets like europe. i mean its been weeks since any xbox live titles were released, apps like pandora and instagram were promised to be here around christmas but nothing, and basic ? like a usable pdf reader still isnt available. it even seems like microsoft puts other platforms before its own. case in point. they are to release a full skype app for blackberry while the version in the windows store is still in beta. and the funny part about that is microsoft owns skype. ? is disgusting.

Speaking of blackberry, after reading on it i was thinking of possbily switching to the z10. because even tho the lumia 920 itself was an amazing phone, microsoft's apathy towards wp8 was pushing me away from it. but after reading some reviews and that half-baked presentation they gave, i realized had i done that i would be driving myself further into a mobile abyss.

before the lumia i owned an htc evo and an iphone. so i knew what a robust ecosystem with many app titles looked like. i also knew that when i switched to a windows phone i would be biting the bullet and sacrificing a loss of many apps that i was using before. which wasnt as bad as i thought because certain titles i was still able to find. but it still wasnt like before. with that being said blackberrys' app selection is even worse. true windows phone doesnt have as many apps as either apple or android. nowhere close to it. but they still have over 160,000 (and if developer support was there it would be even more) and certified 75,000 t at the end of 2012 with 300,000 updates. blackberry only has 70,000 many of which are either poorly conceived native ones or ports from android gingerbread 2.3. 2.3 for christ sake. i already made conscious decision to sacrifice not having apps one time. ill be damned if i sacrifice not having anymore. also the maps are about as bad as whats on apple. no street view or satellite view. no transit directions. one thing about the lumia 920 is nokia powered it with top notch apps. nokia maps being one of those. also the battery life sucks. which was one of my main gripes with the evo i had. but blackberry's life doesnt even last a full day some sources said. dont even get me started on the camera. i really see why they skipped that aspect during the presentation entirely. and to compare it to the pureview camera i have now is just asinine. many of the folks over at wpcentral.com were also consciously thinking about making a move to blackberry. but after they read on it they(as well as i) might just stick with what we have in hopes this lights a fire under microsoft's ass for them to get their ? together and start supporting its own phone os. i was fearing that blackberry would take some customers from wp8 but as a wp8 user myself who is now reconsidering and saying pass, im not even sure they can do that. i might have to test it exclusively first

Ok, but be fair with WP8. It's basically a new OS because the rebuilt it from the ground up. So these are essentially first generation phones. There is something to build on with WP8. It's not perfect yet, but they can improve it and make it great. Same thing with BB10. I think they both have potential, but when you have Android and iOS where they are at, its like why even bother with the others. iOS and Android can compete against each other because they both do different things very well, so they attact different people. I don't see where WP8 or BB10 do anything better than iOS or Android at this time, so that begs the question why get either of them?
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

See this brings me to the point I am making with BB10. When a consumer has the choice between two polished and well established OSs and Phones why would they pick something thats "ok" or "not THAT bad". Just for something "different"? I mean your gonna spend $150 - $200 and get tied into it for 2-3 years on whats pretty much a gamble??

I always felt that RIM should have given up the consumer and mobile market. Focus on strictly on the Enterprise market and use all their R&D budget on innovating a new product for that specific market. Look at companies like Cisco and IBM, they have both completely divested themselves of any consumer line (Linksys and Lenovo) and are strictly infrastructure and enterprise focused.

You finally got where I was coming from

Anywayz, I went through Engadget and some of BGR that covered bb10. Bberry starting to make some of the same mistakes they've made in the past which isn't too much of a good look.

Like it's been said - business/enterprise clients and international interest will keep them alive - playing in the consumer/mobile market is a different game all together.
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • rage
    Options
    The Z10 is doing better than the Lumia 920 did in its initial launch....so thats a positive sign.
  • Ounceman
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Okay now that that the superbowl ad has been shown already what is everyone's thoughts on it? do u think it was enough to sway the undecided consumer's interest into blackberry's direction? ot at least get them interested enough in finding out more about the device?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPbhzmIq9uU
  • rage
    Options
    ^^^ I thought it was a terrible commercial. BB's stigma right now is that it can't do what iOS and Android do...why reinforce that? I think they should have showcased all the phone CAN do as opposed to some weird metaphysical limitations is just dumb.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Is that the one they played during the SB? I seen another one that was much classier online yesterday.
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Okay now that that the superbowl ad has been shown already what is everyone's thoughts on it? do u think it was enough to sway the undecided consumer's interest into blackberry's direction? ot at least get them interested enough in finding out more about the device?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPbhzmIq9uU

I thought it was clever but they should have shown at least one major thing it can do. I know they only had 30 seconds but they should have focused on the Hub or Peek and Flow or something to show what they have new. I get it though. They are planning a pretty hard marketing campaign with Alicia Keys and Robert Rodriguez. Also just signed on with the Mercedes F1 team and Lewis Hamilton so we shall see.
  • Stew
    Options
    This is the one I seen but Im pretty sure it wasnt during the SB cause its 3 min long.

http://youtu.be/xEXLpVuWQGQ
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    This is the one I seen but Im pretty sure it wasnt during the SB cause its 3 min long.

http://youtu.be/xEXLpVuWQGQ

Yeah this is the one they just put on YouTube.
  • rage
    Options
    So I played with the Z10 for a good 10 minutes today and I have to say its not a bad phone at all. Its quite well made and the screen (while not as sharp as iPhone or the top tier Android phones) is still really good. The gestures while sort of reinventing the wheel are still well implemented and useful. It was quite quick going from app to app and opening and closing apps wasnt bad at all.

App selection however is still struggling and hopefully that gets better. The two biggest flaws are the camera (abysmal) and the battery life...HORRENDOUS. I dont understand how they could have such horrible battery life in this day and age of phones going 10 to 15 hours of talk and use time.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    So I played with the Z10 for a good 10 minutes today and I have to say its not a bad phone at all. Its quite well made and the screen (while not as sharp as iPhone or the top tier Android phones) is still really good. The gestures while sort of reinventing the wheel are still well implemented and useful. It was quite quick going from app to app and opening and closing apps wasnt bad at all.

App selection however is still struggling and hopefully that gets better. The two biggest flaws are the camera (abysmal) and the battery life...HORRENDOUS. I dont understand how they could have such horrible battery life in this day and age of phones going 10 to 15 hours of talk and use time.

Really? The battery life is that bad? I mean I expected it to not be great since it's so multi-task oriented, it's likely to have many of the same problems as Android phones. But I would have thought it would at least be decent.
  • rage
    Options

Really? The battery life is that bad? I mean I expected it to not be great since it's so multi-task oriented, it's likely to have many of the same problems as Android phones. But I would have thought it would at least be decent.

The phone I was trying out was one of my coworkers he said it lasts him 6 hours with regular everyday use. He said he HAS to buy an extra battery for the phone to be of any use. Which is a shame really because that and the camera are the phones only real hardware faults that the average consumer will notice. I'm not sure if its a software problem that they can address with a software update or if its a hardware issue.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    6 hours? That's crazy. That's about how my old Thunderbolt was, and part of the reason that phone's battery was so bad was because it was the first Verizon 4G phone and they hadn't worked all the kinks out of the system yet.
  • rage
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »

Co-sign, I'm going to switch to the Z10 in the next few days, I have a several friends who have it and complained about the battery life too. I'm literally on a phone at least a good 8-10 hours a day fam, but iuno for much of the day I'm close to a power outlet so I can charge my ? up.

Also, a bird came to me from inside. Blackberry does have in the plans to release multiple colors in gun metal such as blue, gun metal red, purple, grey and off-white and that's why they went with the 2 phones at the moment. He said it's in their blueprints but they want to wait and see how everything is received first before droppin them. I'd cop a gun metal blue.

The gun metal would be a good luck......a better battery and moderately better camera would make this a top tier phone. An the BB10 is MILES better than WP8...its very similar to iOS in its uniformity of design. There is a consistency that makes it so much user friendly than WP8. App selection needs to get better...and quickly.
  • Ounceman
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Not looking good for blackberry

BlackBerry 10: More Analysts Cut Expectations

BlackBerry is on pace to sell about 300,000 BlackBerry Z10s during the first quarter of 2013. That number is just a fraction of what analysts first predicted, though they remain bearish on BlackBerry's comeback chances.

Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley slashed his forecasts from 1.75 million unit shipments during the first quarter to just 300,000. Walkley cut his estimates, in part, because the device didn't launch until February 1, reducing the time it is available to consumers during the quarter.

The device first went on sale in the U.K. and Canada at the beginning of the month. Initial sales suggested that demand for the device was high, but subsequent word about the limited stock of the Z10 dampened those reports. The Z10 has since launched in a handful of other countries, including Singapore and South Africa. It won't reach U.S. store shelves until mid-March at the earliest.

Walkley isn't bullish on the Z10's U.S. ability to impact Q1 sales. First, it will reach stores too late in the quarter. Second, and worse, he believes supply will be limited as carriers stock the device cautiously. "We anticipate carriers will not build large inventory levels," Walkley told clients in a report. He's not alone.

Pacific Crest analyst James Faucette released his own research about the Z10 to investors. He believes BlackBerry will sell between 275,000 and 325,000 Z10s during the first quarter, which falls in line with Walkley's estimates. Faucette went so far as to suggest that Wall Street hasn't been hard enough on BlackBerry and its new smartphone.

"We believe the Street has gotten ahead of the potential reality for BB10 shipments," wrote Faucette. "There is no line of sight to profitability; we remain sellers of BBRY." Faucette believes BlackBerry will have to triple or quadruple its device shipments in order to sustain profitability.

"We continue to believe the Z10 launch involves relatively small shipment volumes and only moderate sell-through so far in markets which have historically been some of BlackBerry's strongest," continued Faucette. "As a result, investor optimism that the BB10 could reverse the company's trajectory appears to be well overdone at current levels, in our view."

Last, analyst Brian Bear also offered dampened thoughts on BlackBerry 10. "We are getting indications that U.S. carriers are not optimistic about Z10 sell-through, but are instead more hopeful about the keyboard-based Q10," he wrote." The Z10 will precede the Q10 by at least a month. The Q10 is more like a traditional BlackBerry in that it has a physical QWERTY keyboard in addition to the touchscreen.

Perhaps most damningly, Bear said that Apple and Google smartphones "are simply too entrenched in the U.S. market" for BlackBerry to make a comeback beyond an initial run of BlackBerry enthusiasts.

As noted last week, there's more to the story than this initial launch. BlackBerry's comeback hopes will look much clearer by the end of the second quarter, during which the Z10 and Q10 will enjoy wider availability.

But in all fairness the device just launched. who knows overtime maybe it might generate a higher number of sales
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Has anybody seen a release date for the Q10? It's time for an upgrade and I'm REALLY tired of all touch screen phones and the Q10 is looking perfect to me but I don't want to have to wait forever for it
  • Michael_Malice
    Options
    Has anybody seen a release date for the Q10? It's time for an upgrade and I'm REALLY tired of all touch screen phones and the Q10 is looking perfect to me but I don't want to have to wait forever for it

Lol! We don't even know the release date of the Z10 yet. Rumor is late March. Q10 rumored late April sometime. Nothing has been announced yet tho. This US launch is ? a disaster.
  • Stew
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I talked to a Tmobile rep last week and he said they would be getting them sometime in March. Didnt ask specifically for the Z10 or Q10 tho
  • qtipp73
    qtipp73 Members Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I talked to a Tmobile rep last week and he said they would be getting them sometime in March. Didnt ask specifically for the Z10 or Q10 tho

the exact date hasnt been determined, but the galaxy s4 is getting announced mid march so at this point its looking like who will even care when bb10 reaches the us market.