Would You Allow Your Child To Get Wisdom From Gucci Mane In School? *updated* Shawty Lo too!!

Options

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    No
    I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation why a celebrity coming to the school and bringing a positive message is a bad thing.

I think Gucci is an idiot and I hate his music, but if he want's to go to a school and trying to deliver something uplifting to the kids, why shouldn't he be able to?

I dont think nobody has a problem with Gucci himself, I wouldnt expect the dude to say no. Its more about the school letting a dude whos been in the news for all the wrong things with a big ass tattoo on his face come to the school.

So only immaculate people are allowed to do work in the community. It doesn't really matter what he's done. If he's going in there talking about his issues and telling the kids not to make the mistakes he made and to do things the right way, isn't that a message they need to hear. If the people at the school recognize that these kids are being negatively affected by what they see on tv, isn't it smart of them to bring in some of the people responsible for that bad imagery to do some damage control?

Like I said, I have yet to hear a good explanation for why it's bad and what harm it could cause. So what he has a tattoo on his face. It's not about what's on his face. It's about the message he delivers and the kind of impact it could have on some impressionable kid who may be going in the wrong direction.
    blackrain wrote: »
    On WKYS radio station here the personality Angie Ang was on air yesterday praising Gucci Mane for doing this career day event and calling Alicia Keys irrelevant for the position she just got with Blackberry lol...

I wouldnt say Gucci was wrong for doing it but I would say the school was wrong for having him there. Out of all of the entertainers and entrepreneurs in Atlanta you picked Gucci Mane? Really?

U a got damn liar if you tell me that Gucci would be a top 5 candidate in this city to bring in for "uplifting" to middle schoolers.

I never said that and neither did the people at school. Since when did you have to be Time Person of the Year to pass on a good message to kids?

Never said that, I even named 5 better suitable rappers just in the ATL!

What does that even have to do with anything? The question is not "Is Gucci the best person to go to a school and speak to kids?" We're discussing whether it is appropriate or not for him to do so, and so far you haven't provided one good reason for why it isn't.

So what if he isn't the best rapper option for this? Maybe the others didn't respond to the school's requests. Maybe Gucci reached out to the school because he wanted to do something good for the community. The school is supposed to tell him "No" because he's got a tattoo on his face? Even if they believe he's got a good message to present after talking to him? Ya'll sound silly.

I sound silly for not wanting an ex convict, trash rapper with an ice cream cone tattooed on his face to talk to my kids?

Jim-Carrey-GIF-PACK-10.gif
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    In middle school if Jeff Goldblum or Sean Connery that would have been GOAT.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why shawty lo look like one of the kids in that pic?...took me a while to find him
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation why a celebrity coming to the school and bringing a positive message is a bad thing.

I think Gucci is an idiot and I hate his music, but if he want's to go to a school and trying to deliver something uplifting to the kids, why shouldn't he be able to?

I dont think nobody has a problem with Gucci himself, I wouldnt expect the dude to say no. Its more about the school letting a dude whos been in the news for all the wrong things with a big ass tattoo on his face come to the school.

So only immaculate people are allowed to do work in the community. It doesn't really matter what he's done. If he's going in there talking about his issues and telling the kids not to make the mistakes he made and to do things the right way, isn't that a message they need to hear. If the people at the school recognize that these kids are being negatively affected by what they see on tv, isn't it smart of them to bring in some of the people responsible for that bad imagery to do some damage control?

Like I said, I have yet to hear a good explanation for why it's bad and what harm it could cause. So what he has a tattoo on his face. It's not about what's on his face. It's about the message he delivers and the kind of impact it could have on some impressionable kid who may be going in the wrong direction.
    On WKYS radio station here the personality Angie Ang was on air yesterday praising Gucci Mane for doing this career day event and calling Alicia Keys irrelevant for the position she just got with Blackberry lol...

I wouldnt say Gucci was wrong for doing it but I would say the school was wrong for having him there. Out of all of the entertainers and entrepreneurs in Atlanta you picked Gucci Mane? Really?

U a got damn liar if you tell me that Gucci would be a top 5 candidate in this city to bring in for "uplifting" to middle schoolers.

I never said that and neither did the people at school. Since when did you have to be Time Person of the Year to pass on a good message to kids?

What does that even have to do with anything? The question is not "Is Gucci the best person to go to a school and speak to kids?" We're discussing whether it is appropriate or not for him to do so, and so far you haven't provided one good reason for why it isn't.

So what if he isn't the best rapper option for this? Maybe the others didn't respond to the school's requests. Maybe Gucci reached out to the school because he wanted to do something good for the community. The school is supposed to tell him "No" because he's got a tattoo on his face? Even if they believe he's got a good message to present after talking to him? Ya'll sound silly.

I sound silly for not wanting an ex convict, trash rapper with an ice cream cone tattooed on his face to talk to my kids?

You sound silly for judging based on what you said alone. Sometimes the best messages come from the people who have done the worse and reformed. Sometimes those are the best people to reach a certain segment of kids. That's just reality. If you are worried about what he might say, you could always take some time off that day and go to t he school and observe. But yes, you do sound silly for acting like this man is the devil and should be kept away from kids because he sucks as a rapper and has a tattoo on his face.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

i aint read hardly any of these titangraphs, much less posts themselves, in this thread but... what is it you think he is saying to the kids?

Or rather, are you concerned about your childs safety?
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

You sound silly for judging based on what you said alone. Sometimes the best messages come from the people who have done the worse and reformed. Sometimes those are the best people to reach a certain segment of kids. That's just reality. If you are worried about what he might say, you could always take some time off that day and go to t he school and observe. But yes, you do sound silly for acting like this man is the devil and should be kept away from kids because he sucks as a rapper and has a tattoo on his face.

Tell em' *2 chainz voice*

• Black Boy King
    Options
    Yes
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Perfect wrote: »
    shelter yo ? ass kids then, keep em at home

I know i woulda been hella ? if TI came to my school during the Urban Legend days and my mama made me stay home. As if that ? gon hypnotize me or somethin gtfoh. That next day at school woulda been hell seein other kids show off the ? he signed, i prolly woulda committed my first larceny that day

u was a ? ? lil kid then...

Dont trust me!

I'll take sum'm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtYm7BPAYI
  • Stew
    edited February 2013
    Options
    No

Hey u know what, allow your children to see the guy. My point wasnt to get anybody to change their mind. Maybe u guys like clown rappers idk. I will remove my kids from school that day and life will go on.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    nex gin wrote: »
    smdh......Gucci & Shawty Lo though? I guess Alley Boy was busy that day.
    **Pours out liquor for the lost generation**

They could have got Mike Bigga (Killer Mike) 3 Stacks, Big Boi, JD, Cee-LO Stat Quo (Rapper that was on Aftermath from ATL) and has a law degree. That's five people I just named from Atlanta who is better qualified than Gucci.
  • Stew
    Options
    No

They could have got Mike Bigga (Killer Mike) 3 Stacks, Big Boi, JD, Cee-LO Stat Quo (Rapper that was on Aftermath from ATL) and has a law degree. That's five people I just named from Atlanta who is better qualified than Gucci.

Yea I said that like 8 pages back. Maybe these guys want their kids to see the lovely art on his face.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yes

Hey u know what, allow your children to see the guy. My point wasnt to get anybody to change their mind. I will remove my kids from school that day and life will go on.

I would. Like I said, if Gucci or anyone I wasn't quite sure about was going to be speaking to my kids, I'd just take a couple hours off, go to the school and see what it was about. If it turned out to be appropriate and my kids got something out of it, great. If it was bad, then I'd have a talk to the teacher about it and then explain to my kids what was wrong with what was said. But I'm not going to overreact and try to insulate my kids from what could possibly be a good experience because of my own dumb preconceptions.

But to each his own.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want trinidad james to talk to my kids so they know how to deal with the haters that hate this summer and wont say ? in public
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

Yea I said that like 8 pages back. Maybe these guys want their kids to see the lovely art on his face.

I didn't know you dropped names. My bad. Add Will Packard to the list. Owner of Rainforest Films.
  • Black Boy King
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Yes
    ? scared Gucci will have more influence on their kids than them.

? ass daddies.
  • Pyrexcup
    Pyrexcup Members Posts: 358
    Options
    Perfect wrote: »
    ? scared Gucci will have more influence on their kids than them.

? ass daddies.

@icecoldstew
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    as long as your standards remain in the gutter so shall the future for your children...
  • Pyrexcup
    Pyrexcup Members Posts: 358
    Options
    as long as your standards remain in the gutter so shall the future for your children...
    let bygones be bygones
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    No
    Would yall have an issue if it was 2pac?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yes
    You're one of the people saying "No." So you should answer that question.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Yes
    lookdude wrote: »
    So I guess it's stupid for those inmates that talk to kids about jail being the last place they want to end up huh

quoted for the ether.

The thread title says "Would you allow your children to get wisdom", and that's where I can end the quote cuz if wisdom is obtained from anything regardless of the source, how is it bad?? Wisdom is wisdom; it does't matter who's giving it. If you don't want your kids receiving wisdom based on how you personally feel about whoever's giving it, you wont have to go far to find the problem.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

Face it, the teachers said "? it!" on the kids' futures and bring in a living Minstrel Show to the classroom.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Tupac >>> Gucci... u disagree, ? an elephant tusk...
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    No

2pac has been to prison for sexual assault

2pac was always in the news getting arrested

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yes

See this is a stupid response. So it's ok for Tupac to speak because he's a better rapper than Gucci? What difference does that make when it comes to him delivering a message to kids. lol
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    also like many said before and after i he's not teaching the kids unless he is in science class teachin them about that pyrex but i digress. all yall ? who said no (and im not disagreeing with your choice because the choice is yours) but lets be honest for a second if you was back in middle school and (from my era) rakim, epmd, red man, pac, snoop, dre, or some of them other ? came to your school you know damn well your parents werent letting you go. and you want to know why?

cause all parents hated rap. the ? you say was cold and had lyrics back then would of got ? on by your parents. ? you really think my pops would of let me see nwa back in middle school? sheeeeitt. it was like four years after boys in the hood came out he finally let me and my bros see that ? . talkin bout i want you to see how life really is. ? that ? .