Did this DAD go too far?

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    Los216 wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. Those are that mans children who did something wrong and they were punished. Now "we the people" who do not raise these children should dictate how this man punishes his children that he raises?

What if the twerk video was uploaded and we never saw this video?
    How many people would even care about these kids if they saw the twerk video and they never seen the beating?

I get what you saying, but just because you have kids doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want to them without fear of reprisal. I got a daughter and I can't and shouldn't be able to abuse her just because I believe it's fair discipline.

why does a beating have to equate to abuse?

fair punishment and abuse is two different things

No one is saying every beating is abuse. Whether it is or not can be a subjective thing, but it looked like that dude took all his rage and put it into that beating and he did it with something that could have very well permanently scarred those kids. That's excessive to me.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    So let me get this straight. Those are that mans children who did something wrong and they were punished. Now "we the people" who do not raise these children should dictate how this man punishes his children that he raises?

How many people would even care about these kids if they saw the twerk video and they never seen the beating?

I get what you saying, but just because you have kids doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want to them without fear of reprisal. I got a daughter and I can't and shouldn't be able to abuse her just because I believe it's fair discipline.

No one is saying every beating is abuse. Whether it is or not can be a subjective thing, but it looked like that dude took all his rage and put it into that beating and he did it with something that could have very well permanently scarred those kids. That's excessive to me.

i got beat with alot of things....never left a scar on me. and didnt these lil girls have on sweats...i think maybe made of velour? trust me...they made it sound alot worse than it really was.

what was he supposed to do when its called a beating....tap them on the butt while saying "bad, bad"?

that defeats the purpose
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This may not STOP them from doin it again - but they would DEF think twice before doin it guaranteed.

at d end of the day if more fathers like this ( and d spanish dude who put his daughter on blast for fakin her age online) existed more we may be dealing with less b.s today.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

i got beat with alot of things....never left a scar on me. and didnt these lil girls have on sweats...i think maybe made of velour? trust me...they made it sound alot worse than it really was.

what was he supposed to do when its called a beating....tap them on the butt while saying "bad, bad"?

that defeats the purpose

I've seen people get hit with ? like that and be straight up cut. It happens. And ok, they got sweats on, but him hitting like that, what happens when he accidentally hits them in the face or something? Again ? like that happens.

First of all, like someone says, if you have to beat kids that are that old, you're already doing something wrong because at that point you should be able to reach them with something other than physical violence. It's one thing to spank a child that's too young to understand reason or verbal explanations. But what the hell does physically assaulting an adolescent really accomplish? You may instill fear in them, but that doesn't build their moral character. It just makes them feel the need to do their dirt more carefully.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited April 2013
    Options

that defeats the purpose

I've seen people get hit with ? like that and be straight up cut. It happens. And ok, they got sweats on, but him hitting like that, what happens when he accidentally hits them in the face or something? Again ? like that happens.

First of all, like someone says, if you have to beat kids that are that old, you're already doing something wrong because at that point you should be able to reach them with something other than physical violence. It's one thing to spank a child that's too young to understand reason or verbal explanations. But what the hell does physically assaulting an adolescent really accomplish? You may instill fear in them, but that doesn't build their moral character. It just makes them feel the need to do their dirt more carefully.

when does age stop ass whippings? that doesnt mean you are doing something wrong.
    my son is 16 an as tall as me...he tested his limits once about three months ago. i dropped his ass with a bodyshot. did i want to do it? no. did it need to be done, yes. why? because all kids will test their limits and sometimes need to be reminded of their limits. aint got ? to do with bringing them up right or wrong. but my case is alot different than most, so i have to be a bit more strict than most.

now i will say that it all depends on the kid. kids can have two parents an still grow up to ? everyone in a school. kids can have money and ? the same amount of kids in a school. kids can be broke and grow to be a doctor. it depends on the child.

now i agree with talking to them, but only talking working on certain children. the timid type that dont want no trouble. as faras being more careful next time....thats call learning you lesson, and i think Darwin calls it evolution. As humans we evolve and adapt. ? , i cant hate on my kids for trying to do it different the next time. I can respect tenacity as long as it doesnt make them look like a fool.

lastly, what you speak of moral character?
    Character is built from the lessons you learn and the mistakes you've made and knowing how to move forward in a positive aspect. I am sure things in your life made you who you are and not all of it was peaches and cream.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    Just curious.

Question for the anti spanking crowd.....

What if your child cussed you out or called you a ? outta anger? would you talk it out or blow the dust off the belt in the closet and go to work?

This is where people get it confused...saying don't beat/whoop your child often gets taken to the extreme of "Oh so your child is just going to walk all over you." I'd cater it to however I knew it'd affect that child the most. There's no one method that works on all kids. You got to consider their individual personalities when punishing them.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

that defeats the purpose

when does age stop ass whippings? that doesnt mean you are doing something wrong.
    my son is 16 an as tall as me...he tested his limits once about three months ago. i dropped his ass with a bodyshot. did i want to do it? no. did it need to be done, yes. why? because all kids will test their limits and sometimes need to be reminded of their limits. aint got ? to do with bringing them up right or wrong. but my case is alot different than most, so i have to be a bit more strict than most.

now i will say that it all depends on the kid. kids can have two parents an still grow up to ? everyone in a school. kids can have money and ? the same amount of kids in a school. kids can be broke and grow to be a doctor. it depends on the child.

now i agree with talking to them, but only talking working on certain children. the timid type that dont want no trouble. as faras being more careful next time....thats call learning you lesson, and i think Darwin calls it evolution. As humans we evolve and adapt. ? , i cant hate on my kids for trying to do it different the next time. I can respect tenacity as long as it doesnt make them look like a fool.

Character is built from the lessons you learn and the mistakes you've made and knowing how to move forward in a positive aspect. I am sure things in your life made you who you are and not all of it was peaches and cream.

That's different. A son flexing up testing his father is not nearly the same thing as daughters twerking. In one case, you pretty much have to assert yourself physically, in the other, you don't.

And yes, IMO, whoopings should less with age. If you got a damn near grown rational human being and the only way you can appeal to them and teach them is by beating them, then that person is probably destined to do a lot of nothing. I mean there are exceptions to every rule. Some people are just hard headed and only respond to certain things. Still, in most cases, you should strive to build you child's judgement and character. That comes through teaching and providing good examples. Beating is really the lazy way out. It's easy to do that as compared to actual trying to reach and change the child's mind.

And lol @ you saying that a child learning do their dirt more carefully is learning a lesson. Is that really your aim when you beat your kids? Are you trying to get them to stop doing bad things or are you trying to get them to learn to do their bad things without getting caught?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

that defeats the purpose

That's different. A son flexing up testing his father is not nearly the same thing as daughters twerking. In one case, you pretty much have to assert yourself physically, in the other, you don't.

And yes, IMO, whoopings should less with age. If you got a damn near grown rational human being and the only way you can appeal to them and teach them is by beating them, then that person is probably destined to do a lot of nothing. I mean there are exceptions to every rule. Some people are just hard headed and only respond to certain things. Still, in most cases, you should strive to build you child's judgement and character. That comes through teaching and providing good examples. Beating is really the lazy way out. It's easy to do that as compared to actual trying to reach and change the child's mind.

And lol @ you saying that a child learning do their dirt more carefully is learning a lesson. Is that really your aim when you beat your kids? Are you trying to get them to stop doing bad things or are you trying to get them to learn to do their bad things without getting caught?

they are going to try to learn to do it an not get caught anyway....until they know that it wont work or get tired of the repercussions. thats when they learn to weigh out the options, is it worth it or not type stuff. that helps hone the judgement you speak of.. I am sure my kids got away with alot of ? i havent found out about. but thats the way it is. did they get better with they ? that kids do yes.

one time my daughter got in trouble in school for talking. she had to get me to sign a note that said i know about it. she forged the signature but did it in pencil. she got in trouble for it. One day i did my random school popups an the teacher told me about the second signature an how she improved since then. I know i didnt sign ? a second time. but she did some ? with my color printer and the ? looked legit. she got in trouble again, but i was amazed at her use of technology. that dont mean ? after the initial shock of it, just means the child is getting more advanced. just like i did when i was a kid an got into trouble. you have to test your limits before you learn.
    I will call call beating the lazy way out... the lazy way out is to not deal with it at all, or not even being a parent. you cant fault someone for what they think is best. ? i like the 49ers and you may like the ravens...does that mean you dont know ? ? maybe, because you like what you think is best.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude got locked for child abuse... This country will lock a ? up for anything... All of a sudden beating your kids is taboo... 'Scust....
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AIN'T SOME OF THESE SCHOOLS GOT TWERK TEAMS NOW.?

NO dro
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Dude got locked for child abuse... This country will lock a ? up for anything... All of a sudden beating your kids is taboo... 'Scust....

What you mean "all of a sudden?" It's been the climate in this country for a couple decades that if you beat your kids in a way that seems excessive, you will be charged.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options

What you mean "all of a sudden?" It's been the climate in this country for a couple decades that if you beat your kids in a way that seems excessive, you will be charged.
    20 years ain't a long time... And what we consider excessive changes everyday it seems...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

20 years ain't a long time... And what we consider excessive changes everyday it seems...

A lot can change in 20 years, and that's one thing that hasn't.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    All of a sudden some ppl want to lock parents up for disciplining their children... That's lame...
  • ms.jones
    ms.jones Members Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just curious.

What if your child cussed you out or called you a ? outta anger? would you talk it out or blow the dust off the belt in the closet and go to work?

That type of disrespect didn't just happen all of a sudden, it's been occuring over time.

That said, you would need to consider the type of parent you are for your child to even think that kind of language is ok. My children know I'm all for open dialog and discussion, however, there will be a level of respect from both ends.

Still no reason for a man to beat his female childern in the manner that he did. He was right to get angry, but he should have also been angry with himself for letting his daughters think and act less than ladylike.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Lol @ some of the comments...

What you ? fail to realise is that if you need to beat a child with a cable cord, you already lost with you're parenting skills. Just goes to show that you can't handle reasoning with them and showing them the error of there ways without physical contact....loser ass parents.

If you're child only understands physical discipline, the long term effects are negative and reoccurring. Hence the child grows up to be the same.

And these girls will probably end up with a man that beats they ass...and when daddy goes to the hospital to pick up his busted up daughters...he can blame himself.

They say that females are drawn to men that display the same qualities as there father....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »

What you ? fail to realise is that if you need to beat a child with a cable cord, you already lost with you're parenting skills. Just goes to show that you can't handle reasoning with them and showing them the error of there ways without physical contact....loser ass parents.

If you're child only understands physical discipline, the long term effects are negative and reoccurring. Hence the child grows up to be the same.

And these girls will probably end up with a man that beats they ass...and when daddy goes to the hospital to pick up his busted up daughters...he can blame himself.

They say that females are drawn to men that display the same qualities as there father....

Many were raised with the thought that you don't have to or need to explain anything to a child so they see no need to even begin to think about reasoning with their kids
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Many were raised with the thought that you don't have to or need to explain anything to a child so they see no need to even begin to think about reasoning with their kids

Which is why a lot of adults out there are so dumb and either act solely on impulse or just what someone else tells them. You should always be open to explain and reason with your kids. That helps them to build their decision making and reasoning skills. Of course there is a limit, but the whole "because I said so" method of correction is stupid.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just curious.

This is where people get it confused...saying don't beat/whoop your child often gets taken to the extreme of "Oh so your child is just going to walk all over you." I'd cater it to however I knew it'd affect that child the most. There's no one method that works on all kids. You got to consider their individual personalities when punishing them.

So what if said kids personality warrants a ass whoopin??
  • damobb2deep
    Options

When I usta get whooped it went like this

1st offense warning...

2nd harder warning...

3rd whooping( belt)

4th extinction cord..

Most parents dont come out da gate wit da cord unless they told u multiple times about somthing or u doing somthin COMPLETELY out of line i.e. being a 12-14 year old girl twerking on da net...
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just curious.

Use judgement, some kids do need an ass whooping...

But in this case he went to far...and the crime did not warrant the punishment.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    Just curious.

Use judgement, some kids do need an ass whooping...

But in this case he went to far...and the crime did not warrant the punishment.

So u condone yo 12-14 year old daughters shaking her ass on the net?

smh aint da ic famous 4 quoting Chris rock saying " a fathers main goal in life is making sure his daughters dont end up on the pole"?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He did the right thing cuz those are his kids ...he can discipline them however he wants
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.inquisitr.com/603749/father-indicted-for-beating-daughters-over-twerking-video/

Dayton, OH — A father who beat his two daughters with a cord has been charged with child endangerment and corporal punishment.

Greg Horn, 35, whipped his daughters, ages 12 and 14, with a video cable after walking in on the girls recording themselves “twerking.” Twerking involves wobbling or jiggling the hips and buttocks. Or, to borrow Miley Cyrus’s definition, “It’s a lot of ? action.”

The video was first posted on WorldStarHipHop.com before making its way to YouTube. Several reaction videos popped up shortly afterward.

According to the police report, one of the girls had visible welts on her legs and open wounds in the thigh area from being beaten with the video cable. The girls’ mother noticed the wounds and called police.

The 30 second video sparked a debate over whether Horn’s actions were abusive or good parenting. Some felt that he went too far — at one point, one of the girls screams, “Daddy, stop,” but he continues to beat her — while others felt he was teaching his daughters a lesson and preventing them from engaging in more inappropriate behavior. Ultimately, even though the video had gone viral and left many wondering why the police hadn’t been notified, it was the mother’s intervention that led to an arrest.

Horn’s indictment comes during the first week of Child Abuse Awareness Month.

“The goal is always to keep kids safe,” Montgomery County Children Services spokesman Kevin Lavoie said. He also added that when people are reporting cases of child abuse, they don’t have to leave a name or even have definitive proof that abuse is taking place. The suspicion of abuse is more than enough.

“It may be nothing,” Lavoie said. “But rather than analyze it, let our specialists figure it out and the best course of action.”

Although it was initially reported that the girls were beaten for recording themselves twerking, they told police they were beaten for sneaking out of the house.

Greg Horn is scheduled to appear in court on April 16 for his arraignment hearing.

Do you think Greg Horn was justified in beating his daughters with a video cable, whether for twerking or for sneaking out of the house?

?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Them lil hoes was prolly ? and ? ....kudos to the dad for caring trust me it hurt him more to beat them ..