M$ XBOX Reveal - "A Real Taste Of The Future" #pause

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't buy used games, but I do like selling games I don't plan on playing again.
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    zoomzoomp5 wrote: »
    Soooooooooooooo, what's the real problem again? I haven't rented or borrowed a game since i ? around witht he PSone. The design is whatever to me, I don't typically rage over what my systems look like. That remote has always been GOAT to me. The video games will come, so i ain't trippin. Is the RAM really what we really losing our heads for?

if you've ever bought a used game...its the same principle as renting/borrowing...

only used game i bought was Batman Arkham Asylum when the teaser trailer 1st dropped for Batman AC but i do borrow games from my cousins and ? and that feature is ridiculous...paying a fee to play a used game? that 1st owner already payed that fee
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't buy used games, but I do like selling games I don't plan on playing again.

Even that will not be useful anymore. The person using the used game will still need to pay full price.
  • VIBE
    Options
    Soooooooooooooo, what's the real problem again? I haven't rented or borrowed a game since i ? around witht he PSone. The design is whatever to me, I don't typically rage over what my systems look like. That remote has always been GOAT to me. The video games will come, so i ain't trippin. Is the RAM really what we really losing our heads for?

That may not be a problem for you, but for a lot of other people it is. I don't rent games, or borrow games, but when I go to redbox for movies, I see almost all the games rented out. (All systems)

GameFly makes bank off these guys who are subscribed to their rental system. So when Xbox One drops, they'll not be able to rent out their games. No one will. So that means all those people who rented a ? load of games, will have to stick w the 360 or buy a PS4.

There's a reason why GameFly, Redbox and GameStop are on top.
  • zoomzoomp5
    zoomzoomp5 Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

That may not be a problem for you, but for a lot of other people it is. I don't rent games, or borrow games, but when I go to redbox for movies, I see almost all the games rented out. (All systems)

GameFly makes bank off these guys who are subscribed to their rental system. So when Xbox One drops, they'll not be able to rent out their games. No one will. So that means all those people who rented a ? load of games, will have to stick w the 360 or buy a PS4.

since you dont do any renting or borrowing then you dont have a problem here and unless you own a share in any of those companies you should give zero ? on how they get their money. I think the only problem i see here is you giving a ? about how broke muhfukas gotta start paying up. Either way, I'm sure some compromise will be found for the renting companies.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    one more day b4 xbox ? on the IC stans lol

self - ether?
  • VIBE
    Options
    The kinect camera must be on at all times too?

Could you just cover the lens?
  • VIBE
    Options

since you dont do any renting or borrowing then you dont have a problem here and unless you own a share in any of those companies you should give zero ? on how they get their money. I think the only problem i see here is you giving a ? about how broke muhfukas gotta start paying up. Either way, I'm sure some compromise will be found for the renting companies.

I DO buy used games.

I would hate to have to pay $65 for a game I can more than likely get for less than $50 online or at GameStop.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My problem is what does all this mean for Microsoft if the console doesn't sell? I'm telling you Microsoft is having problems as a company no one is interested in their phones tablets or Windows in general...
  • zoomzoomp5
    zoomzoomp5 Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Cross game chat is done via Skype. Thats actually pretty cool. Are the skype calls only limited to xbox live users or can you hit you up from my PC/iphone/mac too? if you can, I aint answering lol.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whack, smh. just complete whackness. Im just gonna play 360 till I run out of games to play, aint down with the always online, camera always online, paying fees to play used games ? . they lost me with that ? . Ill switch to sony if I run out of ? to play
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People who will get the Xbox One

1. People who have no issues paying full price for all of their games

2. People who think they will be able to mod it.

3. People who don't have an issue with waiting for the price of games to drop to $19.99 or go on sale.

4. People who are clueless about the system, and the used game fee.

^ To address these three points

1. I'd be willing to guess that most gamers are very selective when it comes to choosing games they pay full price for, I mean, 60 bucks is 60 bucks. The rest of the games are either rented, borrowed from someone, or bought used.

^These will be the gamers that jump ship and purchase a PS4 instead of the xbox one.

2. Not much to say here, if it's possible to hack/mod it, those ? will get their games free.

3. Not much to say here, if they are patient, it's all good.

4. Gonna be some ? off kids and parents.

• stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Underwhelming presentation but not surprising. At the moment, I'm leaning more towards PS4 but I gotta wait till E3 to look at the actual games which, to me, are what it's all about and far more important than anything else these systems have to offer. The only thing that really irks me about the One, besides their misplaced focus is the Kinect requirement. I just don't get why the ? using it can't be a choice. Nothing else really bothers me, though, because I can deal with logging in once every 24 hours, I don't mind buying new and I could give a ? less about Lamestop.

But PS4's reveal (albeit w/ no console) > Xbox One's reveal
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yeah I always buy full price games. But then again I've been gaming long enough to know how to practice good judgement with game selections. More often than not I end up buying games that end up being considered classic and essential by the end of their gens.

So the whole used game ? I don't give a ? about. Frankly I haven't rented a game since Blockbuster was still around and the only console I had at home besides a Sega Saturn for my fighters was a PSX (yes THAT long ago). The always on camera and NEED to log on within 24 hours thing are the only things I'm iffy about.

Considering I travel quite often what happens when I'm away and can't get my Xbox One online within 24 hours? like what are the repercussions? I'm waiting on E3 for the clarification but I don't like the idea of a console being a chore by forcing me to always be on top of it like that. The camera thing is just straight up creepy and not something I fully welcome cause unlike many others I was never one of those guys asking for a more virtual reality like gaming experience.

I'm content with just the game pad honestly though I do enjoy the gimmick controls occasionally. With that said if I feel they have exclusive software that is worth the purchase and more importantly worth my valuable time I could overlook those things in the long run. But we'll have to wait till E3 to know for sure. Only thing I DO know is I'm not copping any of these consoles at launch. Seen too many people get burned by launch models in my lifetime to ever commit that error. The only time I ever did that was back in 9/9/99 and I lucked out because I never had issues with my DC till way after it was a dead platform.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    Watched some of the reveal and I'm beginning to love how it works and the response time on the voice command is pretty quick ? worried about video game exclusives.....dont get your panties in a bunch the games are coming microsoft is finding more ways to make money off of the new xbox which all the companies are gonna do anyway

im pretty sure i wont be working flawless like it was during the demo once you get it in your living room...but thats just my opinion..

ok maybe 1 second off or so.....still not a big issuse ? is tight
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people on here suggest that the PS4 and XB1 are nothing special when compared to even mid-level computers, but this EA rep says that both systems are a generation ahead. What do you think?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-exec-says-xbox-one-ps4-are-a-generation-ahead-of-top-spec-pcs-6408777
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people on here suggest that the PS4 and XB1 are nothing special when compared to even mid-level computers, but this EA rep says that both systems are a generation ahead. What do you think?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-exec-says-xbox-one-ps4-are-a-generation-ahead-of-top-spec-pcs-6408777

? is straight up horse manure. Of course he's going to say what will be convenient to say in defense of the home console industry. It's the industry he works for and the bottom line of his employer depends on the success of those platforms and NOT PC's. But it's still publicity ? .

PC's will always be light years ahead of home consoles in terms of specs. Know why? because technology advances every SINGLE day and PC's benefit from that on a level that consoles do not because they're not built in 6-7 year cycles. They're able to be updated every minute of every hour by their owners.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

? is straight up horse manure. Of course he's going to say what will be convenient to say in defense of the home console industry. It's the industry he works for and the bottom line of his employer depends on the success of those platforms and NOT PC's. But it's still publicity ? .

PC's will always be light years ahead of home consoles in terms of specs. Know why? because technology advances every SINGLE day and PC's benefit from that on a level that consoles do not because they're not built in 6-7 year cycles. They're able to be updated every minute of every hour by their owners.

Not saying you're wrong, but you do get that he's not talking specifically about the hardware. He's talking about the architecture and the way it's implemented for the purpose of gaming.

• Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

It's ? , if he's referring to performance.

AMD makes the GPUs in both, and at most it's claimed that the PS4--which has the better GPU--has a GPU capable of 2TFLOPS. That places it between a 7850 and a 7870; decent cards, but still weaker than the upper level ? as well as my laptop.

AMD makes the CPU as well, and packages it along with the GPU as part of one of their SoC APUs. Even at the high-end, the latest AMD CPU's can barely keep up with mid-level Intel CPU's. So the PS4's CPU is mediocre at best.

Even the APUs themselves aren't anything new. There was an APU that combined the AMD A10-4600M and the 7970M released last year, that still has more GPU compute power than the claimed power of the GPU in the PS4's APU.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Again, he's not really talking about the raw specs of the hardware.
    "Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles," says Teneja. "These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics."

He's talking about the way things are implemented and how it applies to gaming.
  • Gold_Certificate
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Again, he's not really talking about the raw specs of the hardware.
    "Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles," says Teneja. "These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics."

He's talking about the way things are implemented and how it applies to gaming.
    SoC just refers to the fact that they're using an APU; by definition, an APU is type of SoC.

This architecture is nothing new, AMD has been selling APUs for years. Specifically, the AMD APU architecture being used here is known as "Jaguar"; and it is already in use: http://www.umpcportal.com/2013/05/amd-temash-a6-1450-performance-acer-aspire-v5/

Intel has also started combining CPUs and GPUs with their i7 processors in a similar fashion. Most high-end smartphones use SoC combinations of CPUs and GPUs, rather than having them separately as well.

High-end PCs rely on separate CPUs and GPUs simply because it's more powerful that way.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I figured the dude might know what he's talking about since he makes a living in game design, but I can believe that he's probably just pumping up console gaming.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

What current games look like PS4 games on a PC? I want to see these games. I know eventually they'll be better but what games currently are better?
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    ^ by the way I'm not being sarcastic I want to know what games have the best graphics on PC.
  • Gold_Certificate
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I figured the dude might know what he's talking about since he makes a living in game design, but I can believe that he's probably just pumping up console gaming.
    Word. The giveaway that he's bullshitting is him implying that a high-end PC would be APU-limited in the first place.