Lil Junkie Finally Issues Apology To Family Of Emmett Till.. Update: Till Family rejects "apology"..

Options

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't even begin to explain how i don't give a ? about either sides in this issue. ? wayne and ? till's family.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word? I had no idea people other than blacks frequented this site or used the internet. thank you knowledgeable one for your supreme intelligence.
  • movingfeet
    movingfeet Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Options
    let everyone be crystal clear on what happened here:

1) neither this nor rick ross, were free speech issues. free speech is when government outlaws you from speaking about things. a private company can do whatever they want

2) ross was not fired for ? lyric and wayne was not fired for disrespecting emmett till. it is because both of these dudes played it off like it was no big deal and then issued apologies that weren't really apologies. if ross or wayne has simply said on the first day the blogs blew these stories up, "i am sorry for my words. I made a big error in judgment, i do not condone ? (disrespecting emmett till) i will donate money to ? foundation (NAACP) and i will make efforts not to ever cross this line again" then everything would be fine.

but they put on that cool hood ? stance, trying to play it cool. "i aint apologizing" is what they first said. then they kept up with that ? . no fortune 500 company is going to stand up for someone being so brazen. this is why they were let go. not cause of the line itself, it was their poor follow-up.

Powerful

standing-ovation.gif

• sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow. Pepsi Dropped Wayne. Ross and Wayne both lost money over lyrics. But when you think about it, both were terrible wrong punchlines and lyrics. Again I'm not for cencership of artist. But when you have endorsements you have to understand Pepsi and Reebok appeal to many different demographics. Meek Mill was right that these companies profit off Hip Hop but when things get tough they will kick rappers to curb but Ross and Waynes lyrics were terrible as far as punchlines and message. I'm torn, I think a rapper should rap about whatever they want but at the same time just cause you have freedom of speech doesn't mean people can't question that speech. But I don't feel bad for Wayne. The Emmitt till line was a discrace to not only Emmitt but Black History, real talk.

Sounds like you just explained why being a rapper who sells out is bad thing. Hell, it's why being a sellout used to be a bad thing. You didn't want anyone telling you what you can and can't say.

Nowadays, rappers all sellout and then think they can say what they want. And when they realize that's not the case, they get all upset like they're being restricted as artists. Truth is, when you sell out like that, you lose part of your artistic license. And in rap, it's important to maintain that for legitimacy purposes.

That's why I get disgusted by these half-assed non-apologies. It's literally just attempts by these artists to have their cake and eat it too. They're just trying to remain a corporate shill for a few dollars at the expense of ? victims, or victims of racial violence in the American South.

How anyone can respect Lil Wayne and Rick Ross as artists, or anything other than spokesman for whoever pays them, is beyond me.
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This just proves these cats are1. too full of themselves,2 are not putting any thought into what they're saying and 3.Got too many yes men around them. Wayne is just stealing money, especially on his features. He going in the booth without writing. One take babble, babble. Cut that check and on to the next suckas that need me on their song for a hit. Mfs be dissin Drake, but at least he still writing and thinking about what he spitting.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's hilarious how a lot of ? flip flopped in here. A lot of you ? was defending jayz when he made a line about that ? that got lit by the feds and ? on dudes son when he vocalized he didn't like jayz line
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's hilarious how a lot of ? flip flopped in here. A lot of you ? was defending jayz when he made a line about that ? that got lit by the feds and ? on dudes son when he vocalized he didn't like jayz line

EX-? -ACTLY...
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yup...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fred Hampton's son huh?

LMAO he called Jay "Slave Z" or some ? like that .. .

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

At least, draw a suitable comparison. The Fred Hampton controversy was a an exercise in hypersensitivity on the part of his son, which in his defense is understandable. He has every right to be ultra sensitive about his pops, but the line wasn't offensive. I don't think anybody can even point out where it was offensive. Can't be compared with Wayne's morally egregious and utterly indefensible lyric. Jay could have apologized. I'm just not sure what he would have been apologizing for, other than saying Fred Hampton's name.

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

At least, draw a suitable comparison. The Fred Hampton controversy was a an exercise in hypersensitivity on the part of his son, which in his defense is understandable. He has every right to be ultra sensitive about his pops, but the line wasn't offensive. I don't think anybody can even point out where it was offensive. Can't be compared with Wayne's morally egregious and utterly indefensible lyric. Jay could have apologized. I'm just not sure what he would have been apologizing for, other than saying Fred Hampton's name.

I didn't co-sign Jay when he did that Fred Hampton line..

Any African American Hip Hop artist that doesn't respect or denounce their history and put MONEY over it is suspect.

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options

Any African American Hip Hop artist that doesn't respect or denounce their history and put MONEY over it is suspect.

"I arrived on the day Fred Hampton died/ Real ? just multiply"

Is that really what we talkin bout? What we talkin bout?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay's Fred Hampton line was true though. Hampton died on December 4 1969, Jay was born December 4 1969.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Only reason why Hampton's son was tripping cuz Jay does not stand for the ? Fred do..
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Emmett Till family's campaign to see action taken against Lil Wayne found success yesterday when Mountain Dew dropped Lil Wayne as a sponsor. Today, the Till family reacts publicly to the news and now hopes to put the saga behind them.

According to AllHipHop, Airickca Gordon-Taylor, Executive Director of Mamie Till Mobley Foundation, made the following statement in reaction to the news.

“Back in February, when I first heard the lyrics, I was in utter shock, disappointment and sadness. Just as Mamie Till Mobley didn’t endure the pain of losing Emmett Till alone, many people have stood in solidarity with our family, even if it wasn’t the most popular stand to take.

“The road less traveled is surely not the easiest but standing for your principles provides the endurance needed to fight for human and civil rights. This decision was monumental, we commend Mountain Dew for taking action towards better social responsibility, and now I finally feel that we can exhale and focus on our beloved Mamie Till Mobley’s charge... Let’s get on with the business of positive thinking and living.”

Simeon Wright, an eyewitness to the kidnapping of Emmett Till also made a statement in reaction to the news.

“This is beyond my expectations, I’m pleased that it happened and it shouldn’t waited for public outcry. Anything that belittles or degrades the memory of Emmett Till shouldn’t be in the public square,” He said. “Racism is still out there. Whatever you listen too, whatever you do, get an education. ‘Don’t let this system destroy you.’”

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=23817
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options

• Disciplined InSight
    Options

"I arrived on the day Fred Hampton died/ Real ? just multiply"

Is that really what we talkin bout? What we talkin bout?

Technically Fred Hampton was killed on December 4th which is Jay's b'day, but the context of "real ? multiply" in what Junior was talking about didn't fit Jay because he's not in the same fight as his father was...I guess in that matter Fred Jr. was wondering "since when did Jay-Z was a real ? when he's not speaking on the issues and things my father did yet he's chopping it up with these rich White men in the industry everyday?"

Much as the fact that Emmett Till was beaten severely and killed for whistling at a white woman the context of Wayne using it for a sexual innuendo to having rough sex with a female wasn't in the right frame metaphorically.

The Wayne brigade probably would think: Yeah Wayne was ? a snowbunny beating that ? up in the name of Emmett Till.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought Jr's problem with Jay's lyrics was because he said "died" when he was assassinated.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Options
    I thought Jr's problem with Jay's lyrics was because he said "died" when he was assassinated.

Maybe..I don't know. But Fred Hampton did die from assassination from police slugs...that's true.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But the warriors all descended on Hampton Jr. in that thread I remember ... calling him all sorts

• THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didnt think they would do it props to Pepsi.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    after reading thru this thread some of you ? ride wayne's ? more than a 1000 groupie hoes ever could. you ? -guzzling, star-struck dimwits are seriously beyond ? and pathetic. and to think some of y'all do or will have children, that is terrifying

This is why I admire you.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Technically Fred Hampton was killed on December 4th which is Jay's b'day, but the context of "real ? multiply" in what Junior was talking about didn't fit Jay because he's not in the same fight as his father was...I guess in that matter Fred Jr. was wondering "since when did Jay-Z was a real ? when he's not speaking on the issues and things my father did yet he's chopping it up with these rich White men in the industry everyday?"

Much as the fact that Emmett Till was beaten severely and killed for whistling at a white woman the context of Wayne using it for a sexual innuendo to having rough sex with a female wasn't in the right frame metaphorically.

The Wayne brigade probably would think: Yeah Wayne was ? a snowbunny beating that ? up in the name of Emmett Till.

I guess I see where you're going but lets just work from a premise of decency and tact for a minute. You have one guy who in his illusions of grandeur makes an unfair comparison of himself to a civil rights martyr. And while that may be ridiculous and unreasonable, those lines simply do not occupy the same moral ledger as Wayne's. Not in the authors intent, nor the actual meaning behind them. Wayne trivialized the murder of a CHILD with an attempt to be provocative. Not just a child's murder, but the most brutal and heinous slaughter that we've come to know, which incidentally was the impetus of the civil rights movement. Nobody was offended by Jay's line after hearing them initially. I could set my ears on fire after hearing that Wayne line. He is disgusting, the line was appalling, the jay comparison is ? .
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    after reading thru this thread some of you ? ride wayne's ? more than a 1000 groupie hoes ever could. you ? -guzzling, star-struck dimwits are seriously beyond ? and pathetic. and to think some of y'all do or will have children, that is terrifying
    ^:)^